• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice about Communications

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - 2009
Portuguese Interior (2014)
Hadrian's Wall (2017)
Porto to SdC ( Seaside) 2019
Pilgrims,

I will be on Camino from Lisbon to Santiago in September 2014. I completed the French route 4 years ago and used an iphone (USA type) ... It was expensive to text message. My friend purchased a cheap phone and minutes which were as expensive.

Question 1: What is the least expensive way (short of finding computers at hostels / albergues) way to text message / speak to the USA (I do not text / speak often, but I need to stay in touch for family reasons)? Are there any relatively good deals on phones to be used for short periods of time?

Question 2: Will it make a difference when I cross into Spain from Portugal?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Pilgrims,

I will be on Camino from Lisbon to Santiago in September 2014. I completed the French route 4 years ago and used an iphone (USA type) ... It was expensive to text message. My friend purchased a cheap phone and minutes which were as expensive.

Question 1: What is the least expensive way (short of finding computers at hostels / albergues) way to text message / speak to the USA (I do not text / speak often, but I need to stay in touch for family reasons)? Are there any relatively good deals on phones to be used for short periods of time?

Almost all the Albergues and bars and cafes have wifi (weefee). That's the cheapest way. I kept a blog every day solely using wi fi

I had no phone or any technology and made good use of the computers (when they had them) in Albergues and in libraries in bigger towns and wifi( when they had it). It was no problem and I was able to keep in good communications with parent and children.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pilgrims,

If you have an iPhone you can purchase a Portuguese SIM card when you get there. Should be around $12 for a 30 day card with free in country phone calls, 10 -15 cents a minute to the us. More important it will also include a data plan to access the Internet. I mostly used Skype to the US either free or 3 cents a minute to a phone in the us. You can add time to the plan and you need a new Spanish SIM card in Spain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pilgrims,

1. If you still have an iPhone, AT&T or T-mobile branded, GET IT UNLOCKED so you can use a Portuguese SIM card with data (if you want data) which costs less than 20 euros, incoming calls are free for most european cell carriers, so leave a prepaid calling card with family/friends at home if you need them to call you.

2. It makes a difference once you cross into Spain, your phone credits on the Portuguese SIM card will diminish quickly if you make a call or text in Spain, and you won't be able to add credit once you cross into Spain. I'd suggest getting another Spanish SIM card when you enter Spain.

I'm only walking the Camino next year and i too have an iPhone, so I have already downloaded VIBER and have been testing it around the world, it's free and you can talk for hours. All I have to do now is change my SIM card when I get to France.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Y'all are very helpful. Thanks. I realized that 4 years worth of technological advances probably puts a whole different light on my commo issues!:cool:

I suggest you take either your existing iphone or some other internet enabled device and use skype to call home - or simply text or email home - using the one of the plenty of wifi locations along the camino

Costs nothing other than calling landlines using Skype

Once your phone is unlocked you can buy an Orange sim card. Did Camino from SJPP 4/2013 and bought Orange sim in Pamplona and refilled whenever needed. Calling to USA was 11cents/min. Depends on the country but there are Orange stores everywhere and you can refill at some Tobacco shops where you also can buy stamps. You can also buy disposable phones at the airport and recharge minutes when needed. Very inexpensive. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used an iPod Touch, v5, with Face Time and free Wi-Fi at virtually everyplace I stopped for the night along the Camino Frances to call home daily. I understand that the soon-to-be-released iOS 7 for iPhone and iPod Touch and iPad will have the capability to make voice only calls over Face Time to ANY voice number using voice over internet protocol - so the call is free - as you are using free Wi-Fi. Presently, it is only video calls and the person on the other end must have Face Time.

On the very few days Wi-Fi was not available or the signal not strong enough to support video conferencing, I used either e-mail (iPod Touch) or brief calls or texts from my quad-band, dumb t-Mobile (cell) phone, with a European SIM card in it. If your U.S. (or Canadian) mobile phone is a quad-band phone, it will accept SIM cards bought in Europe.

In North America, we use two frequencies for GSM phones on SIM-card equipped phones. In Europe and most of the rest of the world, they use two different frequencies on the same phones. So, there are dual-band GSM phones for North America and dual-band phones for worldwide use, other than North America and Japan (see below). Check with your cell / mobile carrier and the manufacturer of your particular model phone for specific information.

When you swap out a SIM card, think of it as a brain transplant. All the numbers stored in your phone - not the SIM card - are available. But after the SIM swap, your phone thinks it is now Spanish, French, Belgian, German, whatever, instead of Canadian or U.S.

In fact, I think the ONLY country that has a compatibility problem is Japan. In my experience, they use a wholly different set of frequencies for mobile phone there...go figure! I can never get a signal using either my U.S. or Belgian SIM card whenever I pass through Tokyo.

So, any smartphone or simple cell phone that is quad-band capable, accepts standard SIM cards, and is unlocked should work in Europe. When you get the choice of carriers or a choice of networks when roaming in Europe, Vodaphone appears to be the front-runner in terms of quality, coverage, and low cost.

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino y'all

Tom (from Virginia)

National Geographic has a overseas phone program that I use. I got a base phone that's small, light, and easy to use (it will fit in the watch pocket on Levi's). Used it for 41 days last year in Germany, Netherlands, France, and Italy. No problems. Used last May on the Camino and again no problems. Don't remember the cost but it was not bad and you can add time with a free phone call. Used my Nook to send pictures and updates of my travels. Some Stateside cell phone companies offer a plan for European travel. Buen Camino

PS It work in all of Europe.

Pilgrims,

At Lisbon airport is a Vodaphone shop in the central hall where you can buy a prepaid simcard for your (simlock free) iphone 15€
You can update your amount by internet if needed.
You could buy a Spanish simcard as well arriving in Tui of Pontevedra.
Wifi is available almost everywhere in bars etc. If you do not speak the languages ,ask for "accesso internet " and they will kindly supply you the entering code.
No problem at all neither in Portugal nor in Spain
Bom caminho

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bought a portuguese vodaphone sim at Lisbon airport. there was wifi in nearly all the towns i passed through in portugal. the advantage of the sim card is that you can use data apps like viber, or as i used, voxer when ever you need. there was only a couple of times that i didn't have a phone signal. The phone shops, including vodaphone, are right near the way through Tui. There was even more wifi (wee fee) in Spain but again the convenience of being able to communicate while walking was brilliant for me. I blogged as i went and used 1gb of data in portugal. i used 500mb in spain, which included a week after my walk finished.

I used an iPod Touch, v5, with Face Time and free Wi-Fi at virtually everyplace I stopped for the night along the Camino Frances to call home daily. I understand that the soon-to-be-released iOS 7 for iPhone and iPod Touch and iPad will have the capability to make voice only calls over Face Time to ANY voice number using voice over internet protocol - so the call is free - as you are using free Wi-Fi. Presently, it is only video calls and the person on the other end must have Face Time.

On the very few days Wi-Fi was not available or the signal not strong enough to support video conferencing, I used either e-mail (iPod Touch) or brief calls or texts from my quad-band, dumb t-Mobile (cell) phone, with a European SIM card in it. If your U.S. (or Canadian) mobile phone is a quad-band phone, it will accept SIM cards bought in Europe.

In North America, we use two frequencies for GSM phones on SIM-card equipped phones. In Europe and most of the rest of the world, they use two different frequencies on the same phones. So, there are dual-band GSM phones for North America and dual-band phones for worldwide use, other than North America and Japan (see below). Check with your cell / mobile carrier and the manufacturer of your particular model phone for specific information.

When you swap out a SIM card, think of it as a brain transplant. All the numbers stored in your phone - not the SIM card - are available. But after the SIM swap, your phone thinks it is now Spanish, French, Belgian, German, whatever, instead of Canadian or U.S.

In fact, I think the ONLY country that has a compatibility problem is Japan. In my experience, they use a wholly different set of frequencies for mobile phone there...go figure! I can never get a signal using either my U.S. or Belgian SIM card whenever I pass through Tokyo.

So, any smartphone or simple cell phone that is quad-band capable, accepts standard SIM cards, and is unlocked should work in Europe. When you get the choice of carriers or a choice of networks when roaming in Europe, Vodaphone appears to be the front-runner in terms of quality, coverage, and low cost.

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino y'all

Tom (from Virginia)
Thanks Tom, this is very useful. better get my tech head up to speed. Have an unlocked iPhone. Simplest just to swap out with a Vodaphone sim card?
Also, did I note that walked the camino in April of 2013? I am planning to go April 13th, 2014 (or thereabouts). Wonder what your general weather was like, especially over the Pyrenees? Leaving from SJPP. Still working on shoe choices also - any advise?

Thanks Tom, this is very useful. better get my tech head up to speed. Have an unlocked iPhone. Simplest just to swap out with a Vodaphone sim card?
Also, did I note that walked the camino in April of 2013? I am planning to go April 13th, 2014 (or thereabouts). Wonder what your general weather was like, especially over the Pyrenees? Leaving from SJPP. Still working on shoe choices also - any advise?
Brian,
I bought a very expensive pair of leather hiking boots for my Frances pilgrimage. They were fine, but I'm moving to a more simple pair when I do the Portuguese next year. Spending less than $100 at LLBean and they seem much more comfortable already. I haven't got many miles on the new ones and haven't carried a pack at all. The key is checking them out, breaking them in, and getting comfortable! I really did see people in "flip flops" walking!
I guess folks are right when they say to get something comfortable and break them in!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Fantastic to use flip flops at the Portugese caminiho. We met a German and a Polish lady ,wearing flip flops.
Because most of the time you walk uphill here in Portugal. ,the water runs into the flip flops and at the backside out :mad: Advantage..you clean the soles of your feet continualy :D We felt sorry for them during the off road trail between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaes..ouch ! Walking on rocks all the time.
Advice. Wear good quality and solid feetware !
Bom caminho

Fantastic to use flip flops at the Portugese caminiho. We met a German and a Polish lady ,wearing flip flops.
Because most of the time you walk uphill here in Portugal. ,the water runs into the flip flops and at the backside out :mad: Advantage..you clean the soles of your feet continualy :D We felt sorry for them during the off road trail between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaes..ouch ! Walking on rocks all the time.
Advice. Wear good quality and solid feetware !
Bom caminho

In O Porriño, I made a good clean to my feet soles thank to my flip flops. How? It was raining a lot, so I went to LIDL on flip flops. Then, with my feet lime, I took all the dead skin that was under it. Wonderful :D

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
We did the same as a few others and got a vodafone sim as we walked out into the airport. it was $15 for 500mb data. We didn't use the phone at all, but used skype for talking to the family each night. Facebook for uploading photos along the way and trip advisor and booking.com to book our next days accomodation as we were using private places. That worked perfectly, we had to change over in Spain, but we used the data from the Portugal sim first... it still worked but used it more quickly as it was a higher rate, but we figured we might as well use it up before we got a new sim. The only time we weren't able to skype we were still able to send messages. You can put money on skype and call a normal phone and it's really cheap as well. That is worth doing if you might need to do that.

Good luck and enjoy!! Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Brian,
I bought a very expensive pair of leather hiking boots for my Frances pilgrimage. They were fine, but I'm moving to a more simple pair when I do the Portuguese next year. Spending less than $100 at LLBean and they seem much more comfortable already. I haven't got many miles on the new ones and haven't carried a pack at all. The key is checking them out, breaking them in, and getting comfortable! I really did see people in "flip flops" walking!
I guess folks are right when they say to get something comfortable and break them in!

Thanks so much. looking at keen Targhee II. great reviews,, reasonable and supposed to be very comfortable. Will let you know.

Very comfortable but wore out before my Camino with less than 250 miles of walking. fortunately REI took them back and I got Vasgue boots instead. Comfortable and bomb proof. Buen Camino

Brian: Sorry for the delay. Yes, if you have an unlocked iPhone the easiest and least expensive route is to purchase a local Micro-SIM card, or whatever SIM card format your iPhone requires when you arrive. Vodaphone and Orange are two widely supported services. Either will roam with no problems. Using a European SIM card is MUCH cheaper than roaming off your U.S. or Canadian account.

Try to get a SIM with the capability to top off using a credit card online. You cannot always find top-off cards or vouchers along the way. YOu will need to send a shotgun text or e-mail to all your friends advising them of your new number and how to dial it.

From the States (and maybe Canada) the sequence is 011.34.123.456.789. The 011 gets you to the international network, the 34 gets you to the correct country (34 is Spain, 44 France, 32 Belgium, for example). When calling back home, +01 is the US country code. So, from Spain you dial +01.202.123.4567...

I use a "pay-as-you-go" SIM card from Carrefour that I have had since I lived in Belgium from 2006 - 2008, and across three or four quad-band GSM phones. I top it off by CC online. As long as I use the service once every six months to make or receive a text or a voice call, my account, and balance remain current, and I retain the same Belgian phone number.

Since my cell phone is unlocked and is quad-band, I just call myself or text myself from the States every few months.

I hope this helps. Sorry for any inconvenience my delay in replying may have caused.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When calling back home, +01 is the US country code. So, from Spain you dial +01.202.123.4567...

Actually the code is +1.202.123.4567, if you enter all your US numbers this way in your phone, you won't have to enter any international prefix when you travel around the world.

Actually the code is +1.202.123.4567, if you enter all your US numbers this way in your phone, you won't have to enter any international prefix when you travel around the world.
That's a long country code:). I think the point being made here is that if you use the + sign, there is no leading zero in any international country dialling code.

The general pattern is that the + sign is the international access code for mobile carriers, which is followed by the country dialling code. The UK is 44, Australia 61, US, Canada and some others is 1. Any leading zero is then removed from state/regional/area codes, after which the local number is used.

It is not common to insert a period or other non-numeric characters into the dialling sequence, but I don't recall it doing any harm. You might want to check with your carrier. I know that that some private switchboard systems interpret some non-numeric characters to trigger special functions such as internal transfers, so it might be advisable to check if, say, you were staying in a hotel.

From land lines, the international access code varies. In Spain it is 00. After that, it is the same pattern for both mobiles and land lines. In other countries, there are different international access codes, which makes it impractical to save numbers in this way on mobiles, etc and expect them to work when you are travelling.

And finally, it is possible to do this for non-US numbers as well:rolleyes:

That's a long country code:). I think the point being made here is that if you use the + sign, there is no leading zero in any international country dialling code.

The general pattern is that the + sign is the international access code for mobile carriers, which is followed by the country dialling code. The UK is 44, Australia 61, US, Canada and some others is 1. Any leading zero is then removed from state/regional/area codes, after which the local number is used.

It is not common to insert a period or other non-numeric characters into the dialling sequence, but I don't recall it doing any harm. You might want to check with your carrier. I know that that some private switchboard systems interpret some non-numeric characters to trigger special functions such as internal transfers, so it might be advisable to check if, say, you were staying in a hotel.

From land lines, the international access code varies. In Spain it is 00. After that, it is the same pattern for both mobiles and land lines. In other countries, there are different international access codes, which makes it impractical to save numbers in this way on mobiles, etc and expect them to work when you are travelling.

And finally, it is possible to do this for non-US numbers as well:rolleyes:

Correction, +1(Area code)XXX-XXXX is the proper way of entering US numbers. Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is good information. It is worth noting that 1-800 numbers are generally not accessible from Europe as dialed. (Your insurance company, your bank, etc.)
Some of these companies have a Universal International Toll Free Number (UITF) which can be dialed from participating countries (my travel insurance company has one). If your credit card companies, bank, insurance companies don't have this feature, learn how to place a collect call in Spanish and hope it is accepted, or call the non-800 number.

Thanks for the correction. You are right, adding the zero can cause problems.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've avoided expensive international calls from my French cell phone before by purchasing a cheap 5-7€ phone card, available from the post office or a tabac in France (not sure where you'd get it in Spain). If you use it from a land line, it gives you a couple hundred international minutes, but if you use the card from a mobile, it gives you a couple THOUSAND, and it's just the regular rates from the phone itself.

Pilgrims,

We use the "WhatsApp" app to text free when we travel. Works between iPhones & Android users where there is WiFi. Find at iTunes store.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have an i phone 4s, and before I left got the free app Viber, as did other family members. I turned off all data on my phone, and whenever I found wifi (almost every night, often in local parks if not the albergues) I was able to text, upload all my pictures from the day, and talk to my husband and daughter for as long as needed. Totally free. Wonderful.

The same capability as Viber is already included in Apple iOS 7.x for the iPhone, iPad, Pad Mini, and iPod Touch (which I use). The newest version of Face Time supports either video chat or voice ONLY. I prefer this to other apps because it is built-in with the operating system and is: (a) inherently more secure / trustworthy; and (b) guaranteed to be compatible; and (c) FREE.

If your iDevice can upgrade to iOS 7.x, I heartily recommend it. However, if you have an older model that cannot upgrade beyond iOS 6.x, Face Time with video chat only is still available for free from the Apple iTunes app store. The voice option was added in iOS 7.x.

I hope this helps.

Pilgrims,

VOIP. I use voip to call. Check out www.backsla.sh and www.key2door.com/betamax, this list of voip providers offer the best deals. Choose your voip provider and download the mobile app to your smartphone. Top up your voip account at ckvoip.biz. Read the info to do the top up. I use RYNGA you get 120 free days from them for 10 Euros. Login to wifi, log in to your voip app and away you go. A keypad will appear on the screen, You have to press 00 (for international) say 44 (the country code for the UK) and then your number you want to call. Then press the call button and in a few seconds you can be phoning the USA (mobile & landline ) for free. Good luck.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.