• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice about this big adventure....Please and thanks.

Peter Ray

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2017
My wife and I will be doing the last 100 kilometers of the Portuguese Camino starting either in Valenca or Tui this September. We are trying to manage our daily walks and we are not sure if at any given time within a city or town one can use public transport to get to the outskirts and the Camino path. Specifically, we wanted to use a taxi to go from Hotel Avenida in Pontevedra to the outskirts to meet up with the trail to Caldas de Reis. The taxi ride would be approximately 5 to 6 kilometers. We would still be completing over 100 kilometers walking, however there would be a slight interruption on this part. I google earthed the path once you cross the bridge-the road is narrow as well as one way, and there are cars that access this small road. Having recently been hit by a car while walking across a crosswalk has left us wary of walking where there are no sidewalks and traffic in a narrow confine.

If we take this taxi to just outside of town, does anyone know if we would be disqualified for the last hundred kilometer Compostela? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter Ray

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You must walk the last 100km continously, regardless of where you started. So yes, in theory, you would be disqualified. Up to you do decide if the rules matter to you or not. It's between you and your conscience.

As to the first few km out of town ... may I ask why you want to take a taxi? To shorten your day or because you are uncertain about this part of the route?

After crossing the bridge leaving Pontevedra behind you, you walk for a few block through a residential area and make your way to a wide trail that goes along the railway. It is wide, a passing car would not be an issue. And yes cars could go on it, but unless they had a specific reason to be there I can't imagine why they would be there as it leads nowhere of great interest. I certainly didn't come by any cars on that stretch.

I hope this puts your mind at is regarding the dangers of traffic.

If you are this scared about walking in traffic, or even on a smaller road that is open for cars but very calm, the Caminho Português is not for you.
You can't expect a sidewalk everywhere.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I will be doing the last 100 kilometers of the Portuguese Camino starting either in Valenca or Tui this September. We are trying to manage our daily walks and we are not sure if at any given time within a city or town one can use public transport to get to the outskirts and the Camino path. Specifically, we wanted to use a taxi to go from Hotel Avenida in Pontevedra to the outskirts to meet up with the trail to Caldas de Reis. The taxi ride would be approximately 5 to 6 kilometers. We would still be completing over 100 kilometers walking, however there would be a slight interruption on this part. I google earthed the path once you cross the bridge-the road is narrow as well as one way, and there are cars that access this small road. Having recently been hit by a car while walking across a crosswalk has left us wary of walking where there are no sidewalks and traffic in a narrow confine.

If we take this taxi to just outside of town, does anyone know if we would be disqualified for the last hundred kilometer Compostela? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter Ray
Hi, Peter,

I haven't walked any of Portugues Caminho's yet but as I read almost everything on this forum I think you posted this question in the wrong thread.
Caminho Interior goes from Viseu via Verin where it connects with Sanabres route in Ourense.
I think you meant Caminho Central because Pontevedra is on that route.

Anyway, Bom Caminho!

Dear Peter
Two months ago I stayed in Hotem Room, just one block from Hotel Avenida, in Pontevedra. In the morning, by the time we started walking, there were almost no cars on the road at all, it should be a very silent walk.
Also, if you take a taxi, you may miss the lovely historical city centre and the chapel of Virxe Peregrina, which is totally worth a visit.

In terms of "disqualifying", I agree with Anemone that it is between you and your conscience. If you say to the people in the pilgrim office that you started walking in Tui, they will give you a certificate. How could they check every step? And you indeed would have done more than 100km. But there was an interruption, and you will have to evaluate how much that is important to you and your concept of the camino.

If you are this scared about walking in traffic, or even on a smaller road that is open for cars but very calm, the Caminho Português is not for you.
You can't expect a sidewalk everywhere.
At least he won't be walking in Portugal where there are some very iffy spots with incoming traffic. Not so much of an issue in Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At least he won't be walking in Portugal where there are some very iffy spots with incoming traffic. Not so much of an issue in Spain.

I remember quite some bits on the pavement, sometimes with no traffic but sometimes it wasn't really pleasant.
But last time I walked there was in 2014, so maybe things have improved.

I remember quite some bits on the pavement, sometimes with no traffic but sometimes it wasn't really pleasant.
But last time I walked there was in 2014, so maybe things have improved.
The spots where you had to head put on the road facing traffic from behind a boulder in a curve where in Portugal. I made sure I stuck my pole out so in coming cars would at least see that and assume a person was attached to it. :mad:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You must walk the last 100km continously, regardless of where you started. So yes, in theory, you would be disqualified. Up to you do decide if the rules matter to you or not. It's between you and your conscience.

As to the first few km out of town ... may I ask why you want to take a taxi? To shorten your day or because you are uncertain about this part of the route?

After crossing the bridge leaving Pontevedra behind you, you walk for a few block through a residential area and make your way to a wide trail that goes along the railway. It is wide, a passing car would not be an issue. And yes cars could go on it, but unless they had a specific reason to be there I can't imagine why they would be there as it leads nowhere of great interest. I certainly didn't come by any cars on that stretch.

I hope this puts your mind at is regarding the dangers of traffic.

Thank-you so much for your quick response....walking we will do. Shorten the day wasn't the issue...it was that small road and getting out of town basically....thank- you for your reply. As mentioned below, my wife and I were run over by a car last year so we are bitten and twice shy....thanks Anemone del Camino.

As others have already written, the rules state that you have to walk at least the last 100km to Santiago and have at least two stamps/day in your credencial. What you do if you get asked, as it happens occasionally, at the pilgrims office if you walked all of these kilometers - that is up to your own consciousness.

Buen Camino, SY

As others have already written, the rules state that you have to walk at least the last 100km to Santiago and have at least two stamps/day in your credencial. What you do if you get asked, as it happens occasionally, at the pilgrims office if you walked all of these kilometers - that is up to your own consciousness.

Buen Camino, SY
Thank-you....we will walk...thx SYates

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In my experience of the portuguese route- Spanish roads are quite well driven, polite drivers abound. They are all aware of pilgrims. Sometimes they stop to take photos for you. I believe the hooting of horns is actually meant to be supportive! Though it takes some getting used to. Exercise common sense and you will be fine.

The route through Pontevedra is okay. It's better than okay. Pontevedra is one of the most lovely towns on the entire route. You will be walking through the main square. It's a super place to stop, refuel, and relax. I've considered moving to Pontevedra.

The largest towns along the last 100km of the CP are not like Burgos, León, and the large cities on the Camino Francés where you walk for miles through industrial zones, car lots, etc. Pontevedra is the largest town on this route, and it's an easy walk out of town through mostly side streets with little traffic (at least when we were there in May). The one town that had a similar tedious section is O Porriño, but there is now a well-marked bypass trail through the woods that means you no longer have to walk through the industrial zone. The intersection is not far out of Tui, and is well-marked; however, there seems to be an on-going battle with those having commercial interests along the original route, so you'll see many painted-over and re-painted arrows at this intersection, which can be confusing. Just go to the left for the new, pleasant path.

It's true that there are many narrow roads with no sidewalks or even shoulders to walk on, so always walk facing the traffic and wear bright-colored clothing to make yourself more visible. My wife made us a couple of bright safety-green bandannas which we clipped on our backpacks for additional visibility for cars approaching from the rear. Or you can take safety orange or green vests for walking along roads.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Leaving Pontevedra is actually pretty nice, not sure I would skip it - you cross the river, stroll through the O Burgo neighbourhood and before you know it, you are on the trails again.

If you are considering shaving off some kilometres, then leaving Tui is not that exciting, perhaps shuttle to Ribalduoro, or even even entering O Porriño can be unpleasant. Both are above the 100 Km mark so technically you still qualify.

good luck and Buen Camino

Leaving Pontevedra is actually pretty nice, not sure I would skip it - you cross the river, stroll through the O Burgo neighbourhood and before you know it, you are on the trails again.

If you are considering shaving off some kilometres, then leaving Tui is not that exciting, perhaps shuttle to Ribalduoro, or even even entering O Porriño can be unpleasant. Both are above the 100 Km mark so technically you still qualify.

good luck and Buen Camino
Thanks Jefferyonthecamino.....you are indeed a veteran of the Caminos and good for you...pretty impressive. If I could ask, let's say we wanted to extend our days on the walk and shorten up the 22 to 24 kms from Pontevedra to Caldas and walk maybe just half that, from experience do you know a small town with a hotel we might want to consider. We have been training but 14 kms in the heat of a North American summer has been an eye opener as we are in our 60's. We are in reasonable shape but discovering this Camino idea is no walk in the park. Pardon the pun.

Thanks Jefferyonthecamino.....you are indeed a veteran of the Caminos and good for you...pretty impressive. If I could ask, let's say we wanted to extend our days on the walk and shorten up the 22 to 24 kms from Pontevedra to Caldas and walk maybe just half that, from experience do you know a small town with a hotel we might want to consider. We have been training but 14 kms in the heat of a North American summer has been an eye opener as we are in our 60's. We are in reasonable shape but discovering this Camino idea is no walk in the park. Pardon the pun.

not much is happening between PdV and Caldas regarding small towns and/or hotels - Briallos has an albergue, but the village/town itself is not exactly exciting (personal opinion). i would suggest, if you can, make it to Caldas, which is and has a small town feel with accommodation (and a spa). the stage PdV - Caldas is one of the easiest ones you will do, mainly because it is one of the flattest ones you will do (there is only one minor uphill roughly halfway through). Some pilgrims like Tivo, which has a nice albergue and a small village feel - problem is that it is only 2 km from Caldas.

if you are aiming for shorter stages, then perhaps the previous ones:

porriño - redondela
redondela - arcade
arcade - PdV
PdV - Caldas (longer)
etc.

good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back