• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Advice and Counsel

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin 888

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances ‘19 and ‘22, Camino Portuguese ‘23
I walked the Frances in May 2019 and loved every step. I was going to repeat in May 2020 before moving on to other caminos but that obviously got cancelled. I was going to repeat in May 2021 and that also got cancelled. My next attempt will be May 2022.
Desperate to return to the Camino, particularly as a European living in Canada, I was having mad thoughts yesterday about potentially picking off one of the shorter Caminos in the second half of November this year like the Primitivo or the Portuguese from Porto. So before researching the hell out of it, I thought I would dip into the collective wisdom of those on this wonderful forum to ask for advice and counsel. Am I chasing rainbows here or do you think this would be possible? I‘m fully vaccinated. Any brief thoughts and guidance would be most gratefully received.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As things are right now (COVID-wise), it is definitely possible to walk now... see this section:

We have just finished the 5th covid wave in Spain... hoping that there will not be a 6th. We are at over 80% vaccination of the population (in Galicia), similar for Spain. Is this enough to stop a 6th wave? I hope so... but if there is a 6th wave we are looking at October...

(Added)

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 16.56.48.png

The 5th wave were mostly young people that were not vaccinated at the time (we had not had time to vaccinate them, we went by age..older people first). They have since been vaccinated... so that is a positive.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Frances in May 2019 and loved every step. I was going to repeat in May 2020 before moving on to other caminos but that obviously got cancelled. I was going to repeat in May 2021 and that also got cancelled. My next attempt will be May 2022.
Desperate to return to the Camino, particularly as a European living in Canada, I was having mad thoughts yesterday about potentially picking off one of the shorter Caminos in the second half of November this year like the Primitivo or the Portuguese from Porto. So before researching the hell out of it, I thought I would dip into the collective wisdom of those on this wonderful forum to ask for advice and counsel. Am I chasing rainbows here or do you think this would be possible? I‘m fully vaccinated. Any brief thoughts and guidance would be most gratefully received.
I am in the same situation as you. Due to a commitment, I cannot leave for the Camino before Oct. 15. My only worry is: Will there be open albergues (on the Port./Frances)? You idea of a shorter Camino is interesting.

I'm not sure if the advice you seek is specifically related to Covid issues, but something else to consider is that you are probably likely to get a reasonable amount of rain on either of the caminos you suggested in the second half of November. A southern camino will likely have better weather but the drawback here is that if you want to walk a 'full' camino, the southern ones don't neatly fit into two-week windows.

Hi Martin - I too am Canadian, living in BC on Vancouver Island. I have been checking flights to see if I can find anything reasonable - thinking to do the Primitivo as I had it booked for the end of August, then meeting friends and hubby in Munich after but the whole Covid thing seemed too much for our friends. The cost of Covid covered travel insurance is what is stopping me at the moment. Quite pricey and then there is the $200 PCR test before leaving. Alas - Camino dreaming methinks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.