• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice and input for coastal

Abigail Kelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago/Fis/Muxia 2017
A Coruna/Santiago 2017
Portuguese Coastal/Variante Espiritual 2019
Hi everyone, leaving in a few days to start Camino Del Norte starting in Santander and following Daves alternative along the coast. Before I wrap up my some what route plan and put it away any tips/advise would be appreciated. I have booked the first 6 nights and after that I will go with the wind regarding accomadation and look for cheaper options. I am going to follow the coast as much as I can to Ribaeo and from there considering if to continue on the Norte or head along the Ruta Do Mar.
What I have booked so far: 1st night Santander Habitaciones en El Sardinero ( reason is its close to starting point of light house and my flight gets in late at night) 2nd night Liencres Hostal La Picota. 3rd night Santilliana Del Mar Hospedaje Octavio. 4th night Comillas Albergue La Huella. 5th night Unquera Hotel Canal. 6th night Llanes Miraolas.

If anyone has any tips etc along this route and input/advice for Ruta Do Mar. My destination is Fisterra as I want to walk from there to Muxia. I never got to do that part a few years ago due to blisters :)

One last thing "weather" and what to pack. I have been checking it out and it is still quiet warm but I wonder about heavy rain and what rain jacket to bring!

Muchas Gracias Abigail :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone, leaving in a few days to start Camino Del Norte starting in Santander and following Daves alternative along the coast. Before I wrap up my some what route plan and put it away any tips/advise would be appreciated. I have booked the first 6 nights and after that I will go with the wind regarding accomadation and look for cheaper options. I am going to follow the coast as much as I can to Ribaeo and from there considering if to continue on the Norte or head along the Ruta Do Mar.
What I have booked so far: 1st night Santander Habitaciones en El Sardinero ( reason is its close to starting point of light house and my flight gets in late at night) 2nd night Liencres Hostal La Picota. 3rd night Santilliana Del Mar Hospedaje Octavio. 4th night Comillas Albergue La Huella. 5th night Unquera Hotel Canal. 6th night Llanes Miraolas.

If anyone has any tips etc along this route and input/advice for Ruta Do Mar. My destination is Fisterra as I want to walk from there to Muxia. I never got to do that part a few years ago due to blisters :)

One last thing "weather" and what to pack. I have been checking it out and it is still quiet warm but I wonder about heavy rain and what rain jacket to bring!

I did the same hike in May2017 so I'm guessing now your gonna be facing some heat. Dress accordingly. I will suggest you give yourself some extra time at your day 3 location. It's a wonderful little town with lots of history and fun shops and places to see and the food is amazing like so much of the camino norte. buen camino

Get a good poncho that will also cover your backpack. You should be fine with that.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a good poncho that will also cover your backpack. You should be fine with that.
I did consider that idea and then put it away. Thank you for planting the seed again :)

Hi Abigail, I plan to do the Ruta do Mar in April next year. I would be very interested in learning from you about your Camino. Will you be posting about your stages here on the Forum? Or will you have a blog about your walk? It would be of great help to learn from you what your experiences and insights along the Ruta do Mar are like!
Ultreïa!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Abigail, I plan to do the Ruta do Mar in April next year. I would be very interested in learning from you about your Camino. Will you be posting about your stages here on the Forum? Or will you have a blog about your walk? It would be of great help to learn from you what your experiences and insights along the Ruta do Mar are like!
Ultreïa!
Hi Ultreia, am not sure yet if i will get the time to do Ruta do Mar as I decided to dip down on Norte to Ovideo where I am now. Been walking 10 days straight so might take easy day tomorrow and head back to Norte as I am missing my swimming on route😆 I will post for sure and let you know if I manage to get some parts of RDM into this trip.

Hi Ultreia, am not sure yet if i will get the time to do Ruta do Mar as I decided to dip down on Norte to Ovideo where I am now. Been walking 10 days straight so might take easy day tomorrow and head back to Norte as I am missing my swimming on route😆 I will post for sure and let you know if I manage to get some parts of RDM into this trip.
Buen camino, Abigail! Whichever route you take you will have an extraordinary experience! Camino del Norte has been my favorite and I've done it twice, stopping for 2-3 days in Oviedo, simply because it is such a beautiful historical city; both times dropping down onto the Primitivo (which I do recommend). Next time I really want to follow Ruta do Mar and then do the Camino Inglés, so any guidance and advice from you will be extremely helpful!
Take care and enjoy the journey!
Ultreïa!
Mary

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.