• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for 2012 Camino -- 15 days

cilento

I went to see "The Way" twice in the past week, and both times the friends who came with me were very interested in joining me for my 3rd camino this summer.

We have 15 days with the stipulation that all 4 of them want to go to Santiago as this is their first time. I have walked the Camino Frances from St Jean PdP in 2007 all the way to Santiago and then another one on the Aragones from Lourdes to Logrono in 2009.

My question is whether anyone has a suggestion for where to begin which would allow us to walk at least 100 km to Santiago as well as walking to Finisterre.

I'd like to walk a "new" section (the Portuguese, for example) for at least a part of the journey, but I'm open to any suggestions.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That is so funny, my friends have all seen the Way, and now they want to go too. I tried so hard to get them to go with me in 2010 and they thought I was crazy. GO figure, I need Martin Sheen to convince them! I too want to try an alternate route. I am in So. Cal. where are you in the US?

Hi Joni,

I'm in Jersey City, NJ. We saw the movie at the Empire in Times Square with the movie bus parked out front and Martin and Emilio coming out after the movie to answer questions. It was amazing. The actors were surprised to see how many of us in the audience had indeed walked the camino -- more than half the audience.

My friends are hooked now. Their time is limited in terms of getting enough time off from work, and with the flights in and out, I'm thinking we really only have 13 or 14 days of walking. I want them to have a "full" experience, but I'm also being a little selfish by wanting to do a different route, especially since it will be in July.

How about you? Anyone actually making a commitment to doing it yet?

Dominick

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Cilento

You could consider the Camino Ingles. That's only about 5 days from Ferrol to Santiago (but over 100km). You could then go on to Finisterre with the rest of your time.

I walked the Camino Ingles in September, and it's a very different experience from the Frances. I didn't meet any other peregrinos for about 3 days, so from that point of view your friends might not get the full experience of the cameraderie that you get on the Frances. However the advantage is that it's relatively easy to get to and from (fly to/from Santiago or La Coruna).

Keith

You could walk the Via de la Plata from Salamanca to Santiago 319 km

Salamanca is a wonderful starting point and very accessible by bus from Madrid.

I think that the Camino Ingles for 5 days - 1 day in Santiago then out to Finisterre/Muxia then back to Santiago for some r&r is ideal for a two week break.

Happy choosing.

Let us know what you decide.

John

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Quite rightly you want to do a different camino, but survey your friends. I think that the Camino Frances is a camino with pilgrims, as opposed to France, where the camino is with the French, or the Aragones, where it is with the scenery. If you think about your initial experience, interaction with pilgrims probably was the highlight. Deprive your friends of this only if they understand that alternative routes will have many fewer fellow-pilgrims, and it won't be the "party" that is portrayed in "The Way." Regardless, have a buen camino!

I would consider starting in Villafranca. That is a 7-8 day hike to Santiago. It also presents a climb the first day much like starting in SJPdP. It is one of the most beautiful parts of the Camino. I would recommend staying in La Faba, the first night, one of my favorite Albergues on the Frances. La Faba is a very small town with only one cafe/bar and one store. If you are ambitious a climb all the way to O'Cebriero is beautiful also but would be a long first day. This route would allow walking to Finisterre. If you wanted more Camino you could start in Astorga and then after Santiago take a bus to Finisterre.

Just a couple of different thoughts.

I hope your friends keep up their enthusiasm for the walk.

Ultreya,
Joe

As you have already walked the Camino Frances and want a different route, you have the choice of the Portugues from Porto, Via de la Plata from Salamanca, the Ingles and Fistera route from Ferrol or you could walk the Invierno from Ponferrada to Oursense and then to Santiago or the Norte from Gijon to Santiago.
Choices, choices!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You could travel the Camino Norte from Vilalba (get there by bus Santiago to Lugo, Lugo to V).

It joins the Camino Frances in Arzua. We got our sello from the Vilalba albergue then walked to Bellamonde where we spent the first night. Night 2 was Miraz, night 3 Sobredo and 4 at Arzua. 5 at Arca, 6 Monte de Gozo and 7 in Santiago. 8 Negreira, 9 Olveido, 10 Finisterre, 11 Muxia and back on the 12th day.

If you are fit enough you can start earlier than Vilalba and then work your way to SdC. Arzua to SdC can be done in a day.

How many days do your friends want to spend in SdC? Adjust accordingly.

This might be a workable compromise. I get a bit of new route, you get part of the Camino Francés.

Wish you well in your deliberations and negotations.

As Sil says, choices, choices!

Choice could end up being the solution. Do you all have to walk together, or could you split up Scooby Doo style and do different routes and meet up in Arzua, Santiago or elsewhere? It could be an organisational nightmare or a lot of fun, depending on how you view it! (Just remember it's not a race, etc. :lol: )

You also might want to consider spending at least a day or so in the city where you fly back to the States from (I assume you're all from the States), be that Madrid, Barcelona or another European city. Especially if you or your friends haven't been there before. You can see quite a lot in Madrid, Barna, London etc in just one day.

Keith

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back