• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for a beginner!

Rossta

Hello pilgrims, I have some very silly and obvious questions for you all! I am hoping to do the Camino from St. Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago next Spring. It will be my first camino and I am wondering:
  1. I know that you need to have the booklet which is stamped at the hostels, but do I need to pay to do the camino, or do pilgrims simply arrive and begin whenever they want?
  2. What is the best way to get to St. Jean-Pied-de-Port? [from the UK]
  3. Ideally, I would like to walk the camino when it isn't too busy. I know that it is very busy in the summer, but is the spring normally the same?
  4. What are the odds of getting lost? How often do you see the arrows?
  5. Obviously it is a very long route. Are there maps that you can collect/buy on the way?
  6. Has anyone walked through Pamplona during the bull run? Do you recommend doing this?
That's it for now. I hope that someone can get back to me. Buen camino!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello pilgrims, I have some very silly and obvious questions for you all! I am hoping to do the Camino from St. Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago next Spring. It will be my first camino and I am wondering:
  1. I know that you need to have the booklet which is stamped at the hostels, but do I need to pay to do the camino, or do pilgrims simply arrive and begin whenever they want?
  3. Ideally, I would like to walk the camino when it isn't too busy. I know that it is very busy in the summer, but is the spring normally the same?
  5. Obviously it is a very long route. Are there maps that you can collect/buy on the way?
  6. Has anyone walked through Pamplona during the bull run? Do you recommend doing this?
1. you will pay for your credencial, to stay in albergues and for your food and incidental expenses, but you don't 'pay to do the camino'. Pilgrims begin whenever, and wherever they want.
2. I will let someone with local knowledge help you on this.
3. No, but you can expect Easter to be busier because it appears many Spanish pilgrims take the opportunity to walk part of the way at that time.
4. Its hard to tell. I got a little bit lost a lot of the time, but only badly leaving SJPP on Route Valcarlos. Somewhere I took a wrong turn and almost walked back to Biarritz (or that's what it felt like). Some people have no problems finding the arrows, I just wasn't one of them.
5. Look on the web. Brierley's guide is a classic in English, but there are others. If you do get Brierley, don't feel compelled to walk the stages as he lays them out. You will stay in some delightful places if you don't follow his stages exactly.
6. Not me. Someone else should be able to help.

Buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
(i) As dougfitz said above
(ii) We're from Dublin - we flew to Biarritz with Ryanair, then taxi (because flight time had been changed) or bus to Bayonne, then train to St JPdeP (approx 1 hr).
(iii)We started walking (in 2013) on Holy Thursday and finished in Pamplona on Easter Monday night - there was way way fewer pilgrims that I had expected. However, as we had children with us, we were only walking 'half-distances' i.e. c11 k the first four days and then 23k the last day so maybe we were out of synch with the crowds. It was great.
(iv) and (v) reading dougfitz's reply, I felt I had to comment - the only place we got lost (and had a 'discussion') was trying to leave StJPdeP on the Valcarlos Route! We didn't walk far wrong but it was an interesting start to the morning as two family members insisted on powering ahead without considering whether they might actually have feet of clay and be going the wrong way! Loads of arrows along the part we did; guidebooks etc available.
(vi) We weren't in Pamplona for the bull run but we spent two nights there (and one in Bilbao) before flying back to Dublin. We loved both cities.

I walked through Pamplona during bull run, no problem, saw , enjoyed, then hit the trail and walked to puente le rains, planned, easy walk of 38 km.

Ryanair from Stansted to Biarritz is almost certainly the best bet. Then get the bus from the airport to Bayonne train station (20 mins or so) and the train to SJPP. The flight leaves around midday and arrives 3pm. Plenty of time to get to SJPP (you may have to wait a while in Bayonne for the train) and the pilgrim office in SJPP will be waiting for the train to provide the pilgrim passports and help finding a bed. Spring or autumn would be the best times of year in my view. Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Would only add one bit to the above which is walking next spring and being in Pamplona during the fiesta. The running through Pamplona doesn't occur until the 2nd week of July.

While I haven't walked through during the festival, I did return after my first Camino to enjoy the festivities. I can tell you it is an absolute "madhouse" of celebration! I had such a great experience. From what I have read over the years, it seems to go back and forth as to being in Pamplona during this time.

Great for you to have so much time to prepare. The second reply of taking some time to wander around this site using the search option is extremely valuable. I bet nearly all your questions will be answered many times over and will even provide answers to questions you didn't think about. As you've seen, the contributors here are always willing to share.

Some wine on a relaxing evening and this site gets me every time.

None of your questions are silly or obvious, we all started somewhere and this forum will provide you with the answers. Great advice has already been provided to you, but I just wanted to comment that the only place we got lost/confused?? was leaving SJPP and we walked to Orisson... but once on the trail it was easy. There is usually someone ahead to follow (presuming they are going in the right direction:)). We walked in April this year and were surprised by two things, the awful weather (OMG!) and the amount of people already walking. It must get very, very busy during the summer months (I should imagine Pamplona would be booked out during the Running of Bulls... would recommend Hotel Maisonnave if you are looking for a great central location to take time out in this beautiful city). We head back in 3 weeks to continue from Logrono and hope the weather is kinder. I also agree with mralisn ... a glass of wine and some time on this wonderful site can fill up an evening quite easily! Have fun with your plans. Jo

During San Fermines, the Jesus y Maria albergue is closed. The other private albergues may be open. Room rates in hotels skyrocket. A room normally priced at 28E will be priced at about 300E. The camino route is blocked each morning for the actual running of the bulls, so don't arrive before late morning to traverse the city. Drinking to excess has become standard for the event, even though it has strong religious traditions from before Ernest Hemingway. It turned into a drunker orgy after tourists began to show up. Expect lots of drunken behavior even during the day, and it seemed very demeaning to women in my observation. Lots of groping and ogling, and it all seemed quite welcome. I made the mistake of booking my return flight from Pamplona on the first day of the festival. I spent more for a college dorm room than I did for the Parador hotels! The city is an experience during San Fermines, but I am still trying to figure out whether it was a good or bad experience, sort of like Ft. Lauderdale on spring break.

Outside of that week in July, it is a fantastic city.

Everyone is dressed in white with red scarves and belt sashes, so it is a very cute festival, easily surpassing anything in San Francisco!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
1. You need the Pilgrims Pass to stay in the Albergues. You can get it at the Pilgrims office in SJPP.
2. I pass this question on the the British Pilgrims. :)
3. I started my Camino on Easter Sunday last year, so I walked in April. The first week (Semanta sana in Spain, the Holy Week), there were quite some pilgrims on the route, but I never came in an Albergue that was fully booked. From Sarria to Santiago it got busier again. Many Spaniards are walking the last 100 km. We walked for 32 days and had two days of rain, one day of snow, another two days with a bit of drizzle and the other four weeks we walked in the sun! So spring is a very good idea (at least last year ;-))!
4. I can't imagine you get lost. The yellow arrows are everywhere, even on parked cars! Every few hundred meters you see a shell or an arrow.
5. Lots of maps in every possible language.
6. I don't know...

Buen Camino!

If you plan to start at SJPdP, travel via Bayonne is the least complicated way of access.

Biarritz Airport (BIQ) is the closest airport to SJPdP. Catch the #14 bus from Biarritz (Anglet Airport) to Gare Bayonne. The SNCF TER 62 train to SJPdP leaves from Bayonne several times daily.

Biarritz Airport (BIQ)
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Airlines flying to BIQ
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/destination/compagnie.html

Chronoplus, the local bus system.
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Chronoplus Map
http://www.chronoplus.eu/ftp/Plan_reseau_chronoplus_jan2013.pdf

SNCF (TER)
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

Gare Bayonne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_Bayonne

The route is well marked with yellow arrows. You will likely miss a turn because markers sometimes are obscured. Locals will usually redirect you, often without you asking. If you get to an intersection where there is no one to ask, and there really are no markings, its possible you missed a turn ... at which point its best to backtrack till you find a marker.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey everyone, you've all been so helpful! Thank you so much!!
Can I also ask, how much money do you all think that I should take with me?

Typically you will spend 30E per day. If you self-cater, it can be less. If you stay in hostales, it will be more.

Hey everyone, you've all been so helpful! Thank you so much!!
Can I also ask, how much money do you all think that I should take with me?
Withdraw euros from an ATM as needed, I visited the ATM when I got down to 50 euros or if I knew was passing through some small towns that had no ATM's. I spent about 30-40 euros a day, but I ate well, had my morning cafe con leche, even had ice cream on most hot days, might as well reward yourself after a long walk on a hot day.
Some friends took the bus to Pamplona during the running of the bulls and slept in the park because the hotel room prices were jacked up. Lots of pickpockets during the event when people were drunk and passed out in town. I'd avoid Pamplona during this event unless you have a hotel room to stay at.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think the first few questions have been answered above so I only have the last question to address (or perhaps I could also give advice on the route as well).

We arrived in Pamplona later in the day in early July so the actual Bull Run was over for the day (it happens early morning, every morning for one glorious week). Pamplona was packed and there was an aura of excitement everywhere. We had a wonderful time just taking in the atmosphere. We had been told that none of the albergues would be open but, in truth, there was at least one. But we were told by the proprietor that, as we were on bikes, he would advise us not to stay because during the week no-one gets any sleep because of the noise. We did move on but not before we both agreed that being in Pamplona during this week was another highlight on our own Camino.

As said above, you need to be aware of pickpockets, specially while you are walking through the streets with loads of stalls and food halls. I would suggest that, unless you enjoy crowds and particularly want to see the Bull Run, you avoid Pamplona. During that week, if you did manage to find a place, be prepared to pay top price. If you knew exactly which day you would arrive, you could of course book ahead, but it will still be very expensive.

Which brings me to the questions of 'how'. Before we left for Spain, we found is a range of routes and information books which you can buy from the 'Confraternity of St James' whose office is here in the UK. They are extremely helpful and even have a few albergues along the route worth investigating. When we went on our Camino, we did not plan anything - apart from getting there. We went without knowing what, where, or how, yet it all fell into place and we had one of (what am I saying? THE is a better word) most amazing holidays ever.

Above all, have a Buen Camino.

Hi Rossta!

You do not have to pay to walk to Camino. You do have to pay to stay in the albuergues/hostels/pensions though. I did the Camino Frances and the albuergues cost ranged from 5 euro to 15 euros. You also have to pay for food of course. Pilgrims can start the Camino whenever and where ever they wish, after all it is your camino.

My brother and I started our trip in London, took the train down to Paris and from Paris took the train to Bordeaux then to Bayonne and the bus to St. Jean Pied de Port. It was relatively inexpensive as well.

I think the best time to go to avoid the crowds would be the spring or fall around September.

It is difficult to get lost, the Camino Frances is the most well-marked of the pilgrimage so you see arrow frequently.

There are books that you can buy along the way, you can probably purchase a book in St. Jean in one of the shops they have there.

I didn't do the bull run but it was going on while we were walking the Camino. We had a friend that took a train back to Pamplona for the bull run and said it was a great experience.

Buen Camino!!!

Hello Pilgrims, can someone tel me how dificult is the stage O Cebreiro - Triacastela. I'm starting Camino next 7 Sept. And it is my first time in the French Camino.
Buen Camino

€149,-
the stage O Cebreiro - Triacastela.
Down and up, then down, none of it is particularly demanding for more than a few hundred meters. It is quite scenic, too.

thank's falcon 269 for your reply. As it is our first day, and walking at 1.200 metters, that could be a very hard day?

Definitely not as hard as St.Jean PdP - Roncesvalles ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

1. The credencial (booklet) you can get also here: http://www.stjamesirl.com/ Nobody has to pay to walk the Camino (think of it as a public foot path), but budget enough money for accommodation and food (around 1 Euro/km walked is a low average of costs) and yes, you can start where you want, but if you want to get the Compostela you need to walk at least the LAST 100km.
2. Where from in the UK? Typical would be flying to Biarritz then take the bus to Bayonne and then the train to SJPdP.
3. July / August are the absolute pilgrims high season months, Easter Week is also busy. Have a look here http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/services-for-pilgrims/informes-estadisticos/ and count one month back, i.e. the number of pilgrims that arrived in May in Santiago were in April on the way to Santiago (roughly!).
4. Pretty close to zero on the Camino Frances, arrows are every few meters. More likely is that you get send a detour through the village towards the next bar, but nothing more serious.
5. You can, but you don't need maps to find the way. Take a guide book (for accommodation / things not to miss) and you will be fine.
6. Nearby refuges will be closed then and hostels ect will have sky rocketing high prices, better avoid that time.

Hope that helps, Buen Camino! SY

Another way is via Bordeaux from the UK, which worked for us coming from Edinburgh. Then train to Bayonne, changing there to lovely little mountain train to Saint Jean Pied de Port, full of anticipation! Give yourself as much time as you can afford to enjoy the camino - some lucky people had no flight booked home and could be flexible about the number of days they took to walk the camino. Enjoy the cafe con leche all the way through Spain! Buen Camino

€149,-
I think you will find that this varies for a number of different reasons. 35 to 40 Euros rather easy to do. However, you could spend a more and you could spend less.

Rossta, Welcome to a lovely place where questions aren't silly! You asked some great questions to begin with...and I'm sure there will be many more before your feet hit the trail itself. Just keep poking around here on the forum...and asking. We've all been the new and inexperienced one at some point!
Buen Camino

Oh...and getting "lost" is sometimes the best part of the journey!! Don't worry about it!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
How much money do people end up spending by the end of it? [including the trip tp Finisterre]
Not counting the travel to an from Australia, in 2010 I was averaging about 35 Euro/day including staying in a hotel in Leon. I then stayed in a more expensive hotel in Santiago, which raised the average to about 38 Euro/day. Other than the two nights in hotels, and another night in a shared room in a hostel, the rest of the time I stayed in albergues. I did not do Camino Fisterra, so don't know about that.

My thinking was to budget for about 40 Euro/day when I walk again next year, and be happy if I don't exceed that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How much money do people end up spending by the end of it? [including the trip tp Finisterre]
As a rule of thumb you can budget with 1 Euro / kilometre walked. That covers accommodation in refugios, wayside snacks bought in a supermarket and cooking your own meals in the evenings. Here some prices to give you some ideas, obviously you can always spend more money ;-)

Refugio: 5-10 Euro / night / person
Menu del peregrino: 8-12 Euro
Bocadillo (sandwich): 2-4 Euro

Buen Camino! SY

hello rossta,

welcome to the forum.

you can get your pilgrim credential in the uk. you can start anywhere you want to. to obtain the compostela you must walked the last 100 kilometres.and if you walk the last 100 kilometres you must have at least 2 stamps per day on your credential. the pilgrim office have been quite strict on this rule. you can have it stamped not just in the hostel, but also in cafe-bar, restaurant, police station, church, guardia civil office which is manned 24/7. anyplace along the path of your camino which has a stamp (sello) can stamped your credential.

you can minimised your expenses by staying in municipal albergues instead of private albergues. also consider donativo albergues., which does not meant it is free. you can share meals or cooking expenses. i believe a budget of 30 euros per day should be more than enough on the camino frances.

ryanair flies to biarritz from london. then you can take the train to sjpdp.or as suggested, you could fly to bordeaux and take the train to bayonne, and then another train to sjpdp. on the return trip to the uk, you can fly either ryanair or easyjet from santiago to london, or vueling from a coruna to london heathrow.

my best advice to you is to do the camino frances starting the beginning of may, or even the later part of april and hopefully not too cold or not too warm. and you most likely with not have problem finding beds or have too many pilgrims to contend with.

good luck. buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back