• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for a couple of 19 year olds (Pamplona to Burgos)

Chase

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Camino July 2018 & June 2016
Hello all,

I have some young friends who are planning to walk the Camino Frances the early part of March from Pamplona to Burgos - could folks chime in with advice on what they should be thinking about for that section? I've not done that section and would like to make sure they get support. Here are some questions to get things started..

1. are accommodations open and will it be easy to find a bed for the night in March?
2. what would you suggest is a good daily budget including accommodations
3. of course packing recommendations are very much needed.
4. excess baggage- best suggestion for forwarding to Burgos for pick up at end of walk
5. any other suggestions would be great.

thanks

buen camino

Chase

A selection of Camino Jewellery
  1. Yes, but be aware of the options for each day. Don't arrive in a tiny village and necessarily expect the only lodging to be open. The Camino grapevine is a good source of information.
  2. Same as elsewhere on the camino. Any budget from about 20 Euros and up can be managed.
  3. Same as elsewhere on the camino. Layers. Be prepared for any weather.
  4. Don't take excess baggage! However, if necessary, they can take their excess to a Correos office and they will provide the options. I did this from Irun to Burgos in October, which was not a common pilgrim route. There might be a 2-week limit at the destination office, but that should be fine for them. I don't remember the cost, but it was reasonable. The cost was per box of a particular size, not on weight, but I got the feeling that different people might interpret the correos rules slightly differently. It might be helpful to have someone with them who speaks Spanish.
  5. They will be fine!

I like that section. For accommodation I'd have Gronze on my phone, it always seems up to date with albergue details, and provides phone numbers for any who want to book ahead or check the opening hours.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
thank you , i actually gave them the gronze website.. will relay info. and the correos will look into.. thank you..

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
These earlier responses offer great tips. However do suggest that your friends carry some simple food always. For many season-only shops and bar/restos might still be closed.

Good simple food basics include tea bags, packets which make a cup of soup (even including croutons), firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Nothing heavy but enough to exist for 24 hours if need be.

On past caminos especially during storms when I stopped in small and remote albergues far from any supply source novice pilgrims have often staggered in wet, cold and hungry. They may have had the best gear but carried no food.

Being prepared helps make any adventure easier.
Buen camino to you and your friends.

Last edited:
thanks for the suggestions.. will do..

chase

Hello all,

I have some young friends who are planning to walk the Camino Frances the early part of March from Pamplona to Burgos - could folks chime in with advice on what they should be thinking about for that section? I've not done that section and would like to make sure they get support. Here are some questions to get things started..

1. are accommodations open and will it be easy to find a bed for the night in March?
2. what would you suggest is a good daily budget including accommodations
3. of course packing recommendations are very much needed.
4. excess baggage- best suggestion for forwarding to Burgos for pick up at end of walk
5. any other suggestions would be great.

thanks

buen camino

Chase

One piece of unsolicited advice would be to tell your 19 year old friends, who are probably in much better cardio-vascular condition than lots of us starting out, that just because they think they have the energy and fitness levels to speed through long distances, they may find that the body’s muscular-skeletal system reacts in disagreement. I can’t tell you how many young immortals I have met on different caminos, who are challenged by tendonitis, severe muscle pain, knee pain. And I think a lot of that comes from the exuberance of youth and the fact that walking 40 kms doesn’t challenge their cardiovascular system so they just keep on going. But 19 is a great age to walk the camino, wish I had started way back then, i would now be on camino number 50 instead of 20!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back