• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for a "Type A" personality to fully enjoy my Camino?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2019)
Hello everyone,
I'm saving up vacation time to do the Camino Frances in the spring of 2019 (wow, that seems so far away when I type it). In my preparation, I've been thinking a lot about challenges I may face. I know that I'm a typical "Type A" personality who likes order, plans, schedules, etc. When I worked on tall ships after college, I tried to be a boat bum and go with the flow, but found it very challenging to let go and accept that some things are out of my control.

I've read many posts about how pilgrims can plan ahead, map out a trekking schedule, and make reservations a day or two in advance. Do you have any other advice to help me adjust for/cope with my natural tendencies?

Many thanks in advance! This is a great forum. I'm learning so much from your experiences.
Doug

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've read many posts about how pilgrims can plan ahead, map out a trekking schedule, and make reservations a day or two in advance. Do you have any other advice to help me adjust for/cope with my natural tendencies?

I think you need to be careful here Doug. I mean if your natural tendency is to plan, plan, plan, then trying to just 'go with the flow' could be quite stressful for you.

I would suggest the following.

This has certainly helped me to relax, though it can have medical side effects that you might want to consider. Always good to get medical opinion on these things I think.

Anyway.

Plan away to your hearts content. That's what many Camino 'addicts' do when not walking anyway. I know I do. I pour over guide books and maps. Research places to stay. For our next Camino, I have worked out a schedule that is designed to ensure my wife does not need to walk more than 20 kms per day. (she has bad feet) The schedule also has ideas about where to stay. Heck I've even starting compiling a list of recommended places to eat.

I could practically walk the Camino now in the pitch dark and know where I was going!

All this planning is not only fun, but it gives me a sense of reassurance that I have planned for all eventualities. And I make sure I book my first 2 nights accomodation.

But here's the scary bit Doug. And I can say this with some experience, having walked 2 Caminos. Of course there are many here who have walked dozens! But even 1 or 2 gives you a 'feel' of the kind of things that can go wrong with your careful plans.

I find it goes like this. I'm not sure if it's something in the water. Maybe the mountain air of the Pyrenees? Maybe the sense of peace knowing no one can reach me via phone or email. (except my wife of course, I'm not that stupid)

Maybe it's the sense of being part of a 'moving community' all heading in the same direction with similar purpose.

But all of that careful planning goes 'out the window' on day 3. It's perhaps a bit like being let loose with the other kids on summer camp? I'm not sure, I've never been on one. I'm not American.

But maybe you start to get the idea Doug. You see most of the other kids don't have plans, and seem to be totally relaxed and carefree. And it's kind of infectious.

And of course the wine. Best not to tell your friends about that. I mean, they think you're going on this arduous 'trek' that only adventurous and super fit types go on. Don't spill the beans Doug. It's really a food and wine walking tour! But the wine. Yes the wine. The Vino Tinto .........ahh.

That knocks any thought of planning out of my head, every day. Guaranteed.

So plan away buddy. Plan away.......... It's fun after all...... ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello everyone,
I'm saving up vacation time to do the Camino Frances in the spring of 2019 (wow, that seems so far away when I type it). In my preparation, I've been thinking a lot about challenges I may face. I know that I'm a typical "Type A" personality who likes order, plans, schedules, etc. When I worked on tall ships after college, I tried to be a boat bum and go with the flow, but found it very challenging to let go and accept that some things are out of my control.

Many thanks in advance! This is a great forum. I'm learning so much from your experiences.
Doug
This describe some me to a T and the reason I'm doing the Camino in 2018 is to get out of my comfort zone and 'wing it' for a bit. I'm interested in other people's experiences of this too.

When the topic of perfectionism on the Camino comes up, I like to re-share this story.

On my second Camino, I met a surgeon from the United States who was a perfectionist. In planning his Camino, he read hundreds of books, consulted maps, elevation charts, and historical weather data. He left nothing to chance. The invasion of Normandy in 1944 took less planning. He was so precise that he booked a room for every night along the way to Santiago--some 40 carefully planned out reservations. In all, he spent almost a thousand hours doing research and planning out the perfect Camino. The most absolutely glorious, never been done before, perfect Camino. It was a piece of art work that rivaled the David or the Mona Lisa.

Then his Camino started.

On the first day he fell into a Camino family. He loved his Camino family and they loved him. But there was only one problem. His Camino family was being spontaneous on where to stop for the night. Rarely did his Camino family stop where he already had a reservation. His solution? He would stop where they stopped, have a beer with them, grab a taxi, rush forward/backward to the village where he had a room, check in, shower, change clothes, grab a taxi back to his Camino family, have dinner with them, grab a taxi back to his room, sleep, get up, grab a taxi back to his Camino family, and resume walking with them. I observed this behavior all the way from SJPP to Leon.

Finally one day I asked him, "Why don't you just cancel the remainder of your reservations and stay in the same town as your Camino family?" Before he responded, he look left, then right, and then said in a hushed voice, "I don't want to admit that being a perfectionist about my Camino was a complete and total waste of my time."

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a personality much like you and I have spent most of my professional life making plans, risk assessments and in general worrying in advance. It is not easy to let go of that and I did a lot of planning and preparation before setting out on my Camino. In hindsight, I realize that most of it was unnecessary, but it made me feel better. The general algorithm for the Camino is really quite simple:

REPEAT
Walk
Eat
Sleep
UNTIL Santiago

But go ahead and do whatever planning and preparation you find necessary so that you can go on your Camino with peace of mind – in that respect it will not be waste of time. ;)

Last edited:
Unless you are traveling with someone else, your personality type won't factor in that much. You can (and probably should) make good plans through research before you arrive but once you are there and start walking you are free to Type A yourself across the whole country if you want!

Now, you may find a Camino Family that you really like and want to be a part of... and if it happens that they don't particularly like your Type A-ness then you may find yourself wondering what happened to that nice group of people you were walking with :) or you may find that the transformative nature of the Camino has crept into you without so much as a 'how do you do' and you may find your Type A-ness carefully stowed in the bottom of your pack... To paraphrase a great movie quote, "The Camino is like a box of chocolates, never know what your gonna get".

Either way, be true to your inner self and what will be was meant to be. Buen Camino, Peregrino!

Hello everyone,

Doug
Doug (welcome to the forum)... all I know is that all my plans for my 1st Camino (planned at least my 1st 4 days to a T) simply did not come to fruition and cost me a pretty penny to "stay on track". Once I decided to just walk to where my heart told me to stop for the day... everything flowed! Trust the Camino and give yourself the gift of "letting go"... and what a gift it was to me. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When the topic of perfectionism on the Camino comes up, I like to re-share this story.

On my second Camino, I met a surgeon from the United States who was a perfectionist. In planning his Camino, he read hundreds of books, consulted maps, elevation charts, and historical weather data. He left nothing to chance. The invasion of Normandy in 1944 took less planning. He was so precise that he booked a room for every night along the way to Santiago--some 40 carefully planned out reservations. In all, he spent almost a thousand hours doing research and planning out the perfect Camino. The most absolutely glorious, never been done before, perfect Camino. It was a piece of art work that rivaled the David or the Mona Lisa.

Then his Camino started.

On the first day he fell into a Camino family. He loved his Camino family and they loved him. But there was only one problem. His Camino family was being spontaneous on where to stop for the night. Rarely did his Camino family stop where he already had a reservation. His solution? He would stop where they stopped, have a beer with them, grab a taxi, rush forward/backward to the village where he had a room, check in, shower, change clothes, grab a taxi back to his Camino family, have dinner with them, grab a taxi back to his room, sleep, get up, grab a taxi back to his Camino family, and resume walking with them. I observed this behavior all the way from SJPP to Leon.

Finally one day I asked him, "Why don't you just cancel the remainder of your reservations and stay in the same town as your Camino family?" Before he responded, he look left, then right, and then said in a hushed voice, "I don't want to admit that being a perfectionist about my Camino was a complete and total waste of my time."

Love this! :D

Hello everyone,

Doug

Hi Douglas and welcome to the forum.
Like the others said, plan to your heart's content before you go, why not?
I would suggest though that if you book accommodation in advance, make sure there is a 'free cancellation' policy if you cancel a few days ahead. That way you can change your plans ;)

On my first Camino I booked three things: the first night in StJean pdePort, the second in Orrisson and my return flight.
- The albergue in StJean had not kept me a bed because I failed to phone them again on the day so I had to find another one...
- I arrived at Orrisson much too early to consider staying the night there so gave up my bed and walked on to Roncesvalles...
- and finally, even though I walked to Fisterra after Santiago, I had allowed too much time and changed my return date! :D:D

I love the responses that you have gotten.

Honestly, I'm a bit of a perfectionist also (hard to believe, right?). As a teacher and salesperson and entrepreneur, I paid my way through life on the planning.

For Camino in Spain, the things that you can plan and research are many. Meticulously choose what your gear will be. Get it all down to the type of clothespins, soap, socks. Got bat-sh*t crazy on that part of the type A manifestation.

For actual walking plans, the variables will be too unpredictable. Plan on these variables:

--your body will react unusually to the distances and terrain. Plan to adjust your distance and pace.

--you will meet people you want to spend time with, or you will have an albergue experience that may suggest you will need to move faster or slower than a noisy group. Plan to adjust your distance and pace to accommodate that.

--you may get ill. Sorry to be a downer, but there is a nasty flu out there now. People get sick when their bodies are stressed, or they get diarrhea, or perhaps get tendonitis. Plan some days off. If you need to, you may need a lot of time off.

There will never be a night that you don't survive : ) Plan to take deep breaths and be flexible if you don't get the bunk, pension, hostal, or other such accommodation of your choice. One of "our" favorite writers on the forum once journaled about bushwhacking through brush to finally find himself at a bus bench quite late at night. He was knackered, and simply lay himself down and slept until daybreak. You will survive.

DO plan to have a unique, engaging, wonderful experience---and you will not be disappointed.

DO plan to be kind to others, and I plan to follow your journey and see how you deal with that perfectionism en route. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Plan your Camino Doug.

Plan it until your heart is content.

Plan every last detail if you can.

If you plan to book accommodation, book the places with a no-fee cancellation.

Plan, and plan again my friend.

Read your plan on the way to the airport.

Read your plan on the plane.

Read your plan until you reach your starting point.

I suspect that process will bring you a sense of security, comfort and confidence.

Then, like many before you,
many with you on the day,
and many, many more to follow you,
don't be surprised to follow your plan for, say, 3 maybe 4 days, then decide to abandon it.

It happens Doug and it's so liberating.

Buen (well-planned) Camino

Speaking as a Naval officer and professional project manager (ie, Type-A to the nth degree), the Camino will change your life. Be prepared - and be open - for that. Resistance is futile.

The first lesson the Camino teaches: You are not in control. This is actually a life lesson; all senses of control we thought we had are figments of our imagination. The second lesson is Follow the Marks: maps tell only part of the story; you must detect and respond to the clues presented right before your eyes. The third lesson is that You will succeed only with the kindness of strangers - none of us is an island, despite our personal illusions. The fourth lesson is Pilgrimage is Painful - life hurts, your body will hurt in new ways, but this is not a reason to stop.

So in preparation for those changes in your life and in your view of the world, any of the many personal growth practices and disciplines will be useful. Meditation, journaling, taking up an expression such as painting or poetry - they will all help you prepare for, and integrate, these changes.

For me planning details are a bit of my profession, a bit of up bringing , and a bit of needing to feel in control and prepared for every eventuality
Detailed planning had its useful , good side so embrace the parts that work
The trick may be to let go of the label
When I type cast myself as I have been, it is easier and mindless to fall back into it
My suggestion in addition to all the wonderful comments, stop reinforcing that part of your mind that says “I am type A”
Put a big mental STOP when that crosses your mind. It may leave space for the part of you that is not type A, is dying to come out and play on the Camino, as happened to me

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Everyone walks the Camino their own way, Doug. If you need to plan then do so, then one day when the plan doesn't go to plan take a big breath, have a glass of wine and accept the challenge as only an A- personality can do.
The Camino will throw you such challenges and if you can take each one in your stride you will learn so much about yourself.
Have an enjoyable time planning and an even better Camino

Hello everyone,

Doug
Doug, I was not inclined to reply because I have read so many replies that say exactly what I would say. Apparently forum readers are like you! We like to plan, to be organized, to research and be informed, and to be prepared. And then the camino teaches us is to accept and "let the camino provide." By choosing to walk, carry my pack, and not make reservations, I think I subconsciously acknowledged I would let go of control before I actually began. Since I see you are also from Massachusetts, feel free to contact me for more pre-camino organizing! And, to plan ahead, if you are going to the special showing of the new camino documentary "I'll Push You" at the Revere cinema on November 2, I am going... I already bought my ticket!!!

Thanks for all the advice and insight. This is all very helpful, and I'm grateful that such a forum exists. For all the reasons mentioned (wine, meeting new people, challenging myself, expanding my horizons - literally and figuratively, growing as a person, etc.), I am really looking forward to my trek. I hope it produces the spiritual and personal renewal I've been seeking.

Part of my reason for asking the question is that I recently participated in a rigorous multi-day hike in the White Mountains with some friends (see my profile pic - I'm the one on the left). The group leader planned everything and the trip was fantastic, despite 70 mph winds and torrential rains on the first and last day. All I had to do was hike and enjoy the scenery and comradarie. That hooked me instantly and, having already visited Santiago de Compostella on a work trip, I knew that I had to walk the Way.

I recognize that planning is sometimes futile. As General George Patton once said, "Battle plans are only good until the first shot is fired." However, planning keeps me excited about the journey until I save up enough vacation time to hit the trail. It also gives me something to look forward to each day when I check my email and read your posts. I just hope to plan for the best and see what the next day brings.
Thanks again for all your help!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Actually, you are simply demonstrating your Type A-ness by trying to plan away your Type A-ness!

I like the following reply
Unless you are traveling with someone else, your personality type won't factor in that much. You can (and probably should) make good plans through research before you arrive but once you are there and start walking you are free to Type A yourself across the whole country if you want!

Let go of your labels. Plan what makes sense to you, but remember that you are the client (not the project manager) once you are on the camino. Don't take the project manager and contract with you. Be as organized as you like, but don't feel that you must be consistent with a personality type.

You can plan, plan, plan but still be caught out by foot/ankle/knee/hip problems for example or severe blistering. I have just completed the Way of Le Puy and did all I could for maximum flexibility. I booked one night ahead. This allowed me extra time in places I wanted to explore and the ability to go more quickly when the weather turned or the scenery was less interesting. I was also able to help another pilgrim by delaying my departure one day and walk along with new friends that I met en route. I was still making all the decisions. Detailed planning to be adhered to no matter what would have ruined my experience. I had a marvellous trip.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I read the title my only thought was “Well stop type-casting yourself and you’ll be fine”. I wouldn’t have phrased it like that in my reply, but I was pleased to see others had the same idea and shared the sentiment so much more graciously! But I do have one little thing to add: the camino must be one of the safest places to let go of expectations and just see what happens.
You could even plan to be spontaneous for a few days and if that turns out to be disagreeable to you, you can always revert to your plan;-)
Or rather than your plan being a stage-by-stage-this-is-where-i’ll-stay-each-night sort, your planning might be to research all the different places en route so you are well-informed and then allow other things that are outside your control (weather, tiredness, feeling great, taking a tumble, friends, whatever) influence the particulars of what you do each day.

Last edited:
One trait of Type As is setting ambitious goals and racing to get them done. Often times on the Camino this seems to manifest itself as speed walking from point A to B, without taking a lot of time to pause and look. I don't know if you are likely to do this - it goes along with planning - but I spoke to a few people who found themselves doing exactly this and realizing later on that it might not be productive. In some cases, it can result in injuries that could have been avoided.

You can flip this tendency on its head, especially in your early days by setting a different set of goals that will encourage you to slow down. These might be goals / objectives / rules like:
1) Stop every 60 to 90 minutes to take off your shoes and let your feet breathe
2) While stopping, pull out your notebook and answer the following questions:
a) What do I feel right now
b) What do I see right now (feel free to sketch something)
c) What do I smell right now
d) What do I hear right now
e) What else do I want to remember about this moment/What else do I want to write down?

This has a few benefits - it helps you check in with yourself to make sure you are ok, both physically and mentally. It forces you to look around and observe the world - something that is very easy to forget to do when you are focused on walking. It helps create an interesting record of your trip.

After a few days, you can reevaluate your goal, and change it to fight whatever works.

The other thing I did was plan three days in advance, and only make reservations on the same day. In general, 3 days was enough to know if there were any challenging stages or long stages I needed to work around (I did the Camino del Norte; this was necessary to avoid too long or too short days). Reservations on the same day gave me comfort at busy places, but were usually made when I knew where I wanted to get to and my own limitations.

I was afraid I would run out of time, so I set a reevaluation point of 50 % of time and 50% of distance. At that point, I did map out tentative stages, but I reviewed and altered them daily. It meant the first half of the walk, I could focus on the day to day without worrying about finishing. By the time I had to map out my stages, I knew enough to be comfortable with revising my plan as I needed. I did tend to spend 30 minutes planning out the next day, mostly to make sure I would carry enough water and food, if needed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can flip this tendency on its head, especially in your early days by setting a different set of goals that will encourage you to slow down. These might be goals / objectives / rules like:
1) Stop every 60 to 90 minutes to take off your shoes and let your feet breathe
2) While stopping, pull out your notebook and answer the following questions:
a) What do I feel right now
b) What do I see right now (feel free to sketch something)
c) What do I smell right now
d) What do I hear right now
e) What else do I want to remember about this moment/What else do I want to write down?

Love this Laurie.
Set some goals that help you to chill out :)

Instead of writing things down, I would talk to my phone. :oops:
I recorded my thoughts on audio files that were transcribed for my Blog.
And I also shot lots of video. It made me stop and appreciate what I was seeing and feeling.
Even though it took me 40 days from St Jean, I still want to slow down.
We have 50 days planned for next year ;)

Another thing to think about is to remind yourself Doug of why you are here. Every day.

Whilst not a religious person per se, (more spiritual) I found walking the Camino heightened the senses.
Each morning and evening I would recite this little prayer. And it reminded me to be thankful, even if the day had been a bad one. And I learnt to look for the good things and not worry about the bad things. (like pain). Due to pre-Camino injury, I was thankful just to be able to keep going. I was actually glad I started injured, because it slowed me down.........

Dear Lord, Thank you for allowing me to walk another day on the Camino.
I promise to walk with an open heart and an open mind, and to learn from the lessons you place before me.

(And there were plenty)

Throwing in an additional perspective here...
I try NOT to plan where to stay unless absolutely necessary. I prefer to have the option of spontaneity depending on the way the day, the weather, my energy level, and my desires unfold. I reserved only my first night in SJPdP (I figured I'd be too tired and jet lagged to look for a place) and my second night at Orisson as I had heard it was hard to get a bed without one. I always carried my pack and stopped when I was ready. Only once did I arrive in a town where I had to go to my second choice of location. (I did travel in the shoulder season and might have to do it differently if I had to go in peak "tourist" season.)

That said, I did heavily plan my gear and what I would pack and bring with me. I packed and re packed and weighed everything. One might say I obsessed over my few limited choices. I thought I had it down perfectly...the "right" items, no extras or "just in case" things that might weigh me down. And yet I STILL sent home some items after a couple of weeks and still had some items I didn't use. You just never know how it will all work out until you are actually on the Camino and doing it day after day. And every new Camino is different than the last one.

To me whatever preplanning you choose to do is actually part of the fun. It helps pass the time until your departure, allows you to bond with like minded pilgrims, and it's interesting to do and think about. So as others have said, relax and enjoy all the planning and preparation.

Just know that it will turn out differently than you think it will. ;)

I love your prayer Robo!

One of the most rewarding things I did was to write a prayer of thanksgiving. It was long. It took me 30 minutes to go through all the things I was thankful for on the Camino - the perfect amount of time to walk from the village of Finisterra to the Lighthouse. My heart was full at sunset and I felt like I'd finished my Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first thing I thought of, Douglas, was "man plans and God (or your chosen deity) laughs." When I did my Camino, which was a while ago, my fellow traveller did most of the research while I was just along for the ride. She sent me websites to look at, stories to read, etc. and so I was well informed despite my own lack of initiative! Going it alone, or doing a Camino other than the well provisioned Frances, would be a different story, I'm sure. I certainly agree with much of the excellent advice given indeed. Indeed, packing as light as possible takes superb planning. I'd say look at everything you might pack and when looking at Thing 2, ask if Thing 1 could play double duty so you could leave Thing 2 at home (underwear and socks being the obvious exceptions). If you wish to stay at Orrison you must reserve and, apparently, the albergue in Roncesvalles also needs reservations now. If I may offer this......don't make it a race.....with another, with yourself or for a bed. The Camino will provide and you will see such beauty everywhere.......one must slow down to take it all in. Buen Camino and all the best!!

Then his Camino started.

All I have to add is that I'm glad that surgeon is a perfectionist in his normal life or I wouldn't want to trust him if I was "going under the knife" if he was just "going with the flow". :)o_O;)

€46,-
All I have to add is that I'm glad that surgeon is a perfectionist in his normal life or I wouldn't want to trust him if I was "going under the knife" if he was just "going with the flow". :)o_O;)
Wouldn’t this be due to expert training and experience? Then one is well eqipped to go with a flow...
Just simple perfectionism does not cut it. No pun intended. Plenty of those around ...
I had surgeons whomi trusted because of good training and expertise/ experience. Lacking that...where would perfectionism get you?

Try jumping into a river and direct its course and good luck with that.
One can not control the river, the rapids, the temps, the flow....
But what i can certainly aim for is to be prepared for that river adventure...learn to swim, train body to stay strong and agile, good nourishment intake, proper clothing , knowing of the seasons, etc.
The river is bigger than you. Life is bigger than you. The camino is bigger than you.
Plan away ... It can be fun to assemble the ideas, gear, explore the region in theory etc...
But that is planing. Common sense perhaps.
But the perfectitionism bit is stemming from other sources, in my observation... mainly based on a deep anxiety. (Which can drive everyone in the vicinity of triple-A personality to tears and early grey hairs and worse)
But this is another topic.
And to OP... have fun with the prepping and planning... and then jump...ket go...into something bigger than you!

Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everyone,

Doug
Just think for a second, if you like planning, schedules and order, what will be your reaction when things start to go wrong ( I use the word "when" and not"if"carefully) because, sure as eggs, a few things will go wrong!! I was walking with an elderly French couple who planned everything, only to arrive at their stop-over for the night to find the room had been given to someone else,French couple were not best pleased!!! so who were in the best position? me who just walked to the next vacant bed or the French couple whose plans were totally wrecked not just for that night but for the rest of their Camino! I personally like the feeling of stopping where and when I want to, there are a load of lovely places that pilgrims would love to stay at, but don't, just because it's not on their plan! some of the most memorable evenings came to me only because I stopped at places where I chose and not some ridged plan! but that is the reality and beauty of the Way, like life itself, you really do not know what's around the next corner! Buen Camino

We have researched pre-Camino each time and 'plan' stages etc. Actual experience has varied from no booking to booking ahead a day at a time to fully booked. All for different reasons. Each worked for the Camino at the time. Next year we are trying to build a mix of booked and spontaneity around the Camino. :)
Research, plan and if possible be prepared to change plans as you walk...................
Buen Camino

Not everyone here is a planner. I am the direct opposite personality -- nothing I love more than just stepping out the door and into a month-long adventure, with only the clothes on my back.
Having done that very thing a few times, and having gained a few years' worth of experience, (and having peeved many good people in the process with my irresponsibility!) I have discovered the bright joy of just a little planning ahead -- immersing myself in a bathtub of hot water at the end of a cold, rainy day's walk, with enough money in my wallet to pay for this private little paradise... and knowing the next day's mileage can be as short as x or as long as y. Temperance, I think it's called. Moderation? Maybe. Probably just getting old!

€46,-
Great advice everyone! Thank you. For some reason, Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken" always spoke to me. Now I know why. :)

The Road Not Taken
BY ROBERT FROST
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Hello everyone,

Doug
Normally when I travel I know exactly where I’m going to be staying each night. Prior to walking the Camino, I had not stayed one night in a hostel. I wasn’t one to plan out itineraries to the nth degree, but where I was staying...that was planned out. I wanted to force myself out of my comfort zone. I felt it would be good for me. I did and it was. My advice is to plan your gear and plan your training and plan the weight of your pack down to the ounce and then go with the flow for the rest of it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone,

Doug
Hi Doug. I am currently walking my fifth Camino. The first one I made reservations each night for the next night. Then a met a woman who urged me to let the Camino be the Camino and I didn't make reservations that night. Well, that didn't work and I ended up paying an inflated price for the last room in town. Embrace who you are. If you have a general idea of your walking abilities each day go ahead and plan. I make reservations on the Only Prilgrims website, Booking.com and email some properties directly. Walk the Camino your way and cancel reservations if you change your mind. Buen Camino

Wow! I know I am not the original poster, but I have read every single reply and they all seem to have spoken to me! Thank you to @Douglas Christel for posting the question and seeking advice. Thanks to all those who replied - I've decided to keep doing it my way. For my Camino Frances in 11 months (!), I will continue to obsessively plan and research gear, but will be better served just letting it all unfold once I start. I think that getting outside ones comfort zone is probably an important part of wanting to grow as a person, and this is how I plan to go about it.

I guess one of the challenges you face will be to go with the flow. I have to say it can be daunting at first not know where you're going to stay and when you get there will there be a bed. I felt a little like this at first but as the days went on I learnt to just accept my lot.
I agree with Waka, Doug, I am like you in daily life, and made it my Camino challenge to be less organised and allow the Camino to provide. It was sometimes hard, and I did not always let it go. And a certain mass hysteria got hold of the other pilgrims every now and then. To resist that is a challenge. But the further I got, the more relaxed I became about it. Only once did we have a situation (in Najera) where all the albergues and hostels were full, and only because my walking mate threw a wobbly we got the 'emergency beds' in the albergue municipale. So we DID find a bed in the end! :) You can have degrees of planning ahead as well: start calling an albergue of your choice at 10am while you're walking, rather than booking days ahead? If you lack any Spanish, ask another pilgrim, or a hospitalero, or use an app like onlypilgrims.com? Stay in the small places in between the big stops? Someone else posted about that on this forum as well. The joy of walking into a place and finding a bed when you have no reservation was huge for an over-organised person like me! It helped me discover the joys of El Ribaleiro, El Cruceiro, and others, just because it allows you to decide on the spot you like the look of a place, your feet have had enough and you will lay down your hat there for the night... Lovely. Good luck with your preparations. I saw a poster in Najera: El Camino se vive tres veces : cuando lo sueñas, cuando lo vives y cuando lo recuerdas. I am jealous that you are still in stage 1 and I am in 3 now!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everyone,

Doug

HI Doug

You are asking for advice, which I am reluctant to give, but I am happy to share my experience. We walked early spring and found there was plenty of available accommodation - there was no need to book. However, I did spend the two years prep time I had, reading all that I could especially reading about other people's experiences
As for type A - I too was worried about needing to plan to the nth degree but the Camino had other plans for me. I badly sprained my ankle 3 days before beginning walking - I do not advise you to sprain an ankle! - and I learnt to trust the process and unfolding of the Camino. Good for you on trying to go with the flow as a boat bum. I guess there will always be things out of your control and out of my control. I found by slowly coming to trust the process of being part of the Camino, a new freedom has come into my life. Three years on, I often catch myself thinking, 'trust' it will work out.

Buen Camino Doug.

I'd spend the next year trying to learn how to 'go with the flow' and then plan for your trip then.
I use to be like you and it was bad for my health. Becoming less stressed over plans has had a hugely poitive impact on my life. Good luck with it.

A lot can happen between now and 2019 so live in the current.

I think you need to be careful here Doug. I mean if your natural tendency is to plan, plan, plan, then trying to just 'go with the flow' could be quite stressful for you.

I would suggest the following.

This has certainly helped me to relax, though it can have medical side effects that you might want to consider. Always good to get medical opinion on these things I think.

Anyway.

Plan away to your hearts content. That's what many Camino 'addicts' do when not walking anyway. I know I do. I pour over guide books and maps. Research places to stay. For our next Camino, I have worked out a schedule that is designed to ensure my wife does not need to walk more than 20 kms per day. (she has bad feet) The schedule also has ideas about where to stay. Heck I've even starting compiling a list of recommended places to eat.

I could practically walk the Camino now in the pitch dark and know where I was going!

All this planning is not only fun, but it gives me a sense of reassurance that I have planned for all eventualities. And I make sure I book my first 2 nights accomodation.

But here's the scary bit Doug. And I can say this with some experience, having walked 2 Caminos. Of course there are many here who have walked dozens! But even 1 or 2 gives you a 'feel' of the kind of things that can go wrong with your careful plans.

I find it goes like this. I'm not sure if it's something in the water. Maybe the mountain air of the Pyrenees? Maybe the sense of peace knowing no one can reach me via phone or email. (except my wife of course, I'm not that stupid)

Maybe it's the sense of being part of a 'moving community' all heading in the same direction with similar purpose.

But all of that careful planning goes 'out the window' on day 3. It's perhaps a bit like being let loose with the other kids on summer camp? I'm not sure, I've never been on one. I'm not American.

But maybe you start to get the idea Doug. You see most of the other kids don't have plans, and seem to be totally relaxed and carefree. And it's kind of infectious.

And of course the wine. Best not to tell your friends about that. I mean, they think you're going on this arduous 'trek' that only adventurous and super fit types go on. Don't spill the beans Doug. It's really a food and wine walking tour! But the wine. Yes the wine. The Vino Tinto .........ahh.

That knocks any thought of planning out of my head, every day. Guaranteed.

So plan away buddy. Plan away.......... It's fun after all...... ;)
Hi Robo
My wife recons that I looked like a kid in a lowly shop, the smile said it all. Loved the Camino last May, Carm will join me as well next year same time. Cheers Tony

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The fact that you a) identified a problem, and b) are seeking answers to correct it really points out that you are truly a Type A! :p

Hello everyone,

Doug
Hi Doug. If you feel the need to be totally prepared and, since you have two years, why not learn Spanish? It will add immeasurably to your Camino experience, show respect for your hosts/host country, and be useful for future trips in Latin America, including SW USA.

Hi Doug. If you feel the need to be totally prepared and, since you have two years, why not learn Spanish? It will add immeasurably to your Camino experience, show respect for your hosts/host country, and be useful for future trips in Latin America, including SW USA.

Hi Tom. I am operationally conversant in Spanish and can read better than speak, but I want to become closer to fluent. When I was in Galicia a few years ago, I tried to only speak Spanish and managed well enough. I am looking into night classes or software such as Rosetta Stone, but am preferring spending time with a Columbian friend who will indulge me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everyone,

Doug
I am a total Type A personality. I did the Camino Norte with no plans alone. I suggest just letting go. It wasn't easy at first but I fell into the rhythm and it was a piece of cake.The only anal thing I did was send my backpack on ahead as my back could not take it. So I had to chose where I would stop the next day and send my backpack there. It was no problem. You can do it! Good luck and buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I booked my first auberge in SJPP and booked another in Santiago. I plan at work every day so don't want to on holiday. I was somewhat peeved sharing rooms with type A personalities who perceived me as old and wanted to plan My camino and book ahead for me. Are you kidding me!

This far out, planning is half the fun. I too am a Type A but, I found out once I started my Camino, the other half of the fun was, letting go. Seems odd, but it was quite easy, if you’ll allow it. Buen Camino!

After reading many interesting responses to this thread, I wonder what kind of personality I am? Type A-?

I will go CF in Mar-Apr the year. My preparation for the camino is buying a guidebook, checking what kinds of accommodations available at each step, planning to bring less not more. That’s all.

After the camino, I may wonder what kind of personality I will become? B+ or C-.....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
mai, on the Camino, you will be able to be ALL the personalities - at least A to Z...

I am a massive planner as well, but will abandon my plans the moment something else looks more fun. This means I know about that famous castle I could be visiting in the next village (and could probably do a 10-minute lecture on its history), but will gladly stay in the bar to chat with my new friends instead. I can see the castle another year...

@Banjo&Matilda you just need a swag, mate, and a billy, and she'll be right. Just steer clear of the billabongs.

Haha, I only just saw this reply! My dogs are called Banjo and Matilda and so few get the Banjo patterson reference, but a kiwi???!!! So impressed!!!

This is interesting! I didn't get the Banjo Patterson reference but I wanted to know what you meant and looked it up. So I found the 'Waltzing Matilda' lyrics and discovered that the theme of this song seems quite popular worldwide: one of my favorite bands (Sixteen Horsepower, unfortunately disbanded) recorded Outlaw Song, which is tightly based on a traditional Hungarian arrangement (Betyárnóta, for those interested). Uncanny resemblance, text-wise. Archetypal myths, anyone?

And with that last remark I elegantly circle back to the OP's initial point. It seems that a Type A personality is 'The Sage', one of the twelve archetypes that Jung penned down. I love the internet! I'm going to quit now, still have a lot to do today...

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back