• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for FAMILY OF 6 with young children, hiking 2015

IngridKirsten

Time of past OR future Camino
July (2015)
Hello all of you Experienced Pilgrims :) This summer, our family will be hiking together. Our kids ages range from 3 to 11.
First question: Would you recommend doing the Camino Frances? or the Camino Ingles? I imagine the Frances has more of a support infrastructure (hotels, cafes, etc) as it by far the most traveled. We need those infrastructures-- probably hotels, especially. However, I am also wondering about the terrain itself-- which route, ending in Santiago, would be the flattest, or easiest for small children/stroller.
Second question: HOW do I find hotels? How do I proceed to make reservations? How far (km) do you think we can travel per day?
Third question: What do you recommend if we can not reach our destination on a particular day? Due to the kids' ages, we are not traveling with a tent or sleeping bags. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help! --- Ingrid

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello all of you Experienced Pilgrims :) This summer, our family will be hiking together. Our kids ages range from 3 to 11.
First question: Would you recommend doing the Camino Frances? or the Camino Ingles? I imagine the Frances has more of a support infrastructure (hotels, cafes, etc) as it by far the most traveled. We need those infrastructures-- probably hotels, especially. However, I am also wondering about the terrain itself-- which route, ending in Santiago, would be the flattest, or easiest for small children/stroller.
Second question: HOW do I find hotels? How do I proceed to make reservations? How far (km) do you think we can travel per day?
Third question: What do you recommend if we can not reach our destination on a particular day? Due to the kids' ages, we are not traveling with a tent or sleeping bags. Any ideas?

IngridKirsten -- you might want to look for posts by KiwiFamily. They are by a Mom from NZ who has walked a number of caminos with her 5 (I think) kids and if I remember correctly her kids are in your kids range (the oldest may be a bit older). Liz

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
However, I am also wondering about the terrain itself-- which route, ending in Santiago, would be the flattest, or easiest for small children/stroller.
@IngridKirsten it depends a bit on where you start, but assume for the moment that you would be starting in Sarria were you to do the CF. My recollection is that this leg doesn't have any really long steep climbs, whereas you would face at least one on the CI.

On both you will have a variety of track surfaces, some of which would be easy enough if your stroller had smaller wheels, but on others, larger diameter and wider rims would be a clear advantage.

Welcome @IngridKirsten to the forum. There are a few members here who have walked with children and it would be helpful to look at their posts. I find the easiest way is to look at their profile page and click on the link to their posts. Those I can think of are @Kiwi-family (lots of information and posts) @cinimod @waveprof . You can also try a search for posts with "children" in the title. There are also various links to blogs (http://www.girlsontheway.com is a good one).

I've not walked the Ingles but from all accounts it is pretty strenuous. Here's one family's experience: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-a-familys-camino-ingles-in-august-2009.6918/

I'd agree that at least for this initial trip the Camino Frances is your best bet. It certainly has the best infrastructure and bag carrying services.

There are some serious hills on the Camino Inglés and longer distances between accomodation, cafés etc. It is in no way flat and parts would not be good for a stroller, although you could use one depending on the type.
While it is a good short Camino if you are wanting to walk 100kms you could consider the Primitivo from Lugo and then join the Francés at either Palas de Rei or Melide.

Terry having walked the full Primitivo made the comment that if I could walk the Inglés (my first Camino) then I could manage the Primitivo as it was in his opinion easier in many ways. I cannot comment on the Francés before Palas de Rei as that is where we joined it after walking the Primitivo, but we did see some very young children on that section walking to Santiago.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Having walked both the Ingles and the Frances I would suggest that the later stages of the Frances is an easier option, both for terrain and for accommodation. Plan short stages, book ahead, use baggage transport, always have local taxi numbers so part of your can go ahead with one of the adults. Make it fun, not a hardship. Take the stress out of it for the adults and the children. Let the kids play and enjoy it and they will have fond memories that will drag them back in their futures. Think of private albergues where you can book private rooms at little extra cost to people sharing dorms. And yes, yes, yes do pm KiwiFamily as one (if not the one) for hard earned experience. Buen Camino

Re accomodation. If you look on the Gronze site for whichever Camino you choose you will find guides with details of some of the accomodation available in each place. The guides are under the Caminos link at the top left by the Gronze name. There are also profiles, outline maps and distances.

Ingrid: My daughter and I walked the Frances from Leon to Santiago two July's ago, and we continually ran into a family with three children, ages 5 to 13. They each had a little backpack, and they seemed to do well, always looking clean and fresh. In fact, they outwalked us - no matter how far or fast we went, they were always in front of us! For us, finding a hotel without a reservation was never a problem. If an albergue was full, they often had an alternative to direct you to, or some had private rooms available that cost a little more, but they were very nice, and inexpensive. If we wanted privacy or a place to leave our backpacks while we toured a town, we had no problem finding hotels. Every albergue had a cafe nearby or offered meals themselves, and there are usually places in between. You might want to take a taxi in a couple spots, I am thinking of the route along the steep and long freeway leaving Villafranca going up the mountain to O'Cebreiro in Galicia. It was very steep and long, and you walk right on the freeway, a nightmare if you have children. Traffic does not slow down for pilgrims. Also, if I remember correctly, there was only one place to stay in O'Cebreiro at the top and another one a few miles further, so you might ask for advice about availability at the top before you leave Villafranca. In regard to how far you walk each day, it gets very hot in July by 2:00. We would start at 5:00 a.m. and go until it got too hot, so that may be a factor in your day also. After your first two days, you will see how far the kids are able to comfortably walk, and then you can adjust your plans with the map each day accordingly. Also, another helpful hint: Avoid at all costs the 'free' albergue at Foncebadon.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Please check out my blog http://elpequenoperegrino.blogspot.com/, especially the section on advice for walking with a baby (one of the last results). We walked it with a 14 month old 2 years ago. I'm not doing this as a self-advert, it's just that we really put a lot of time into leaving what we think is a lot of good advice for people traveling with children.

My name has already been mentioned, but I'll chime in with a HI.
The first time we walked was with eight kids aged 6-18 and an 80-year-old Grandpa. We just went from Astorga to Santiago and took over two weeks to do so.
Last year I walked with the four youngest (by then 8-13 years) and we covered 1,500km over various camino trails.
More than happy to correspond with you privately if you like - not because I have the answers, but just as one pilgrim mama to another.
On the other hand, if you post publicly, you'll get other people's two cents' worth too.

Last edited:
our family walk camino frances summer 2012, and we are planning for a new one this year. We went with a big stroller for our 18 month old son. Worked out very well! We pushed, dragged and cooperated to make it work, and it did!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
our family walk camino frances summer 2012, and we are planning for a new one this year. We went with a big stroller for our 18 month old son. Worked out very well! We pushed, dragged and cooperated to make it work, and it did!
To each his/her own (truly), but since they are looking for advice, let me chime in with a vote of "no" for the stroller/buggy.

What was
Ingrid: My daughter and I walked the Frances from Leon to Santiago two July's ago, and we continually ran into a family with three children, ages 5 to 13. They each had a little backpack, and they seemed to do well, always looking clean and fresh. In fact, they outwalked us - no matter how far or fast we went, they were always in front of us! For us, finding a hotel without a reservation was never a problem. If an albergue was full, they often had an alternative to direct you to, or some had private rooms available that cost a little more, but they were very nice, and inexpensive. If we wanted privacy or a place to leave our backpacks while we toured a town, we had no problem finding hotels. Every albergue had a cafe nearby or offered meals themselves, and there are usually places in between. You might want to take a taxi in a couple spots, I am thinking of the route along the steep and long freeway leaving Villafranca going up the mountain to O'Cebreiro in Galicia. It was very steep and long, and you walk right on the freeway, a nightmare if you have children. Traffic does not slow down for pilgrims. Also, if I remember correctly, there was only one place to stay in O'Cebreiro at the top and another one a few miles further, so you might ask for advice about availability at the top before you leave Villafranca. In regard to how far you walk each day, it gets very hot in July by 2:00. We would start at 5:00 a.m. and go until it got too hot, so that may be a factor in your day also. After your first two days, you will see how far the kids are able to comfortably walk, and then you can adjust your plans with the map each day accordingly. Also, another helpful hint: Avoid at all costs the 'free' albergue at Foncebadon.
What was the deal with that 'free' albergue I think I passed it last year or perhaps it was another they had a sign outside saying we do it the old fashioned way and offer free accomodation, there was an English/American man who appeared to be running it, I can't remember just knew he wasn't Spanish, came away after getting my stamp thinking was there a catch or was it really free?!

... Also, another helpful hint: Avoid at all costs the 'free' albergue at Foncebadon.

Are you referring to the parish albergue beside the church? It is not free, it is donativo which doesn't mean free btw. Also the hospitaler@s there change every two weeks on average. So one might have a great experience and one a less great one, depending on which volunteer is on duty. Buen Camino! SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back