• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

advice for first time walker

Vivienne Yung

Time of past OR future Camino
start of july 2015
Hi everyone! I am 21 from Melbourne and am going to Europe in 2 months, and I am planning to walk from Sierra to Santiago start of July. Just a few questions:

1. Is 100km doable in 4 days or should I set aside more time?
2. Will I be ok doing it with my 65L backpack that I'm taking with my around Europe
3. Do I really need to invest in good walking shoes, or are runners ok? And if I do, then what shoes are good that I can store in my pack when I'm finished with the walk? I don't really want heavy hiking shoes to carry for another 4 months after finishing the camino

Any advice would be great thanks!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Welcome Vivienne,
1. Yes it is doable in four days but five or six would be better to really enjoy it.
2. Depends on the weight of your pack. IMO you could leave un needed gear in Santiago with Ivars storage.
3. Runners would be ok IMO at that time of year, even good walking sandals would do.
Buen Camino.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everyone! I am 21 from Melbourne and am going to Europe in 2 months, and I am planning to walk from Sierra to Santiago start of July. Just a few questions:

2. Will I be ok doing it with my 65L backpack that I'm taking with my around Europe
3. Do I really need to invest in good walking shoes, or are runners ok? And if I do, then what shoes are good that I can store in my pack when I'm finished with the walk? I don't really want heavy hiking shoes to carry for another 4 months after finishing the camino

Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi Vivienne, I live in Geelong. I'm afraid I have no suggestions as I haven't walked yet, wishing a great time.
Good luck ....Buen Camino.:cool:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi a

m on sanabres right now and older than you . So. Yes 25 a day doable for u but depends on terrain .65 litre too heavy . I like ankle boots or at least good walking shoes , extra shoes I hav sketchers or crocs . . Keep weight to under 10 kilos . Cheered from a Fremantle Australian .buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome Vivienne,
1. Yes it is doable in four days but five or six would be better to really enjoy it.
2. Depends on the weight of your pack. IMO you could leave un needed gear in Santiago with Ivars storage.
3. Runners would be ok IMO at that time of year, even good walking sandals would do.
Buen Camino.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/
Sorry what is the Ivars storage? Is it easy to transfer my main pack to santiago and just walk with a day pack, will my pack be safe?

1. Absolutely, 25km is doable even for a novice walker. You start walking every day around 8am, and the average person walks about 5km an hour. If you stop for coffee/lunch/breaks you can easily get into the next town by 3pm which is about right. Make sure to give yourself short days, your body and mind needs a break every now and then. I would recommend not planning out your stops too intensely as you may find yourself maintaining the pace of fellow peregrinos. :)
2. 65L is more than enough, I did most of mine with a school backpack, using my guitar strap as a waist strap until it broke in Sahagun. That being said, make sure your backpack has a top notch waist strap, the difference it makes is incredible.
3. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to have walking shoes, take a pair of light relaxing shoes and a pair of good, breathable runners. Sure, waterproof shoes are nice on rainy days, but they will give you blisters if you were them constantly and they are heaving to strap to your bag during the majority of the time when it is not raining. Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to maintain a budget that would allow you to buy whatever shoe you would feel would be more suitable as you're completing your walk. I started with waterproof, switched to crocs by Zubiri and wore my crocs virtually straight on through to Sahagun. Bought cheap runners in Leon and by the time I got to Finisterre my feet were nearly healed enough to wear my hiking shoes again, lol.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back