• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for getting bag from Porto to Algarve

slkenney

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello All! I will be one month in Portugal starting late Aug. First week is Lisbon & surrounding area, Coimbra, the Duoro Valley & Porto. The next 2 weeks I'll be walking the Camino from Porto to Santiago via coastal to central + spiritual variant. My final week will be in the Algarve region in Salema.

I will have a small piece of luggage which has needed clothing and such for the 2 weeks when I am not walking. Ideally I'd like to send that bag from Porto to my accommodations in Salema so I can then fly from Santiago to the Algarve without having to come back to Porto to retrieve my bag.

Any suggestions for getting my bag from Porto to Salema that are high confidence and reasonable price?

Thank you!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you've booked accommodation in Salema, you may want to contact them to see if they can store your bag for the weeks that you are walking the camino. If you only have clothes, without valuables, I guess that ordinary postal service and storage by the owner of the accommodation may be adequate.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Not exactly answering your question but Tuitrans will transport your luggage from Porto to Santiago on any of the main Portugues routes so that you can then fly with it direct from Santiago to Faro. Not sure how price would compare to mailing it to your Algarve accommodation but it is another option.
Possibly the best solution might be to send your bag to Santiago with Tuitrans instead of sending it to Algarve. Then you simply bring it with you on your flight.

In 2018, my wife and I used the Portuguese postal service, CTT, to mail a box of clothes and other items from Porto to Casa Ivar in Santiago before embarking on our Camino. The box arrived at its destination without problems. I can't remember how much we spent but we felt it was reasonable. We also liked that we could track the package.

If you've booked accommodation in Salema, you may want to contact them to see if they can store your bag for the weeks that you are walking the camino. If you only have clothes, without valuables, I guess that ordinary postal service and storage by the owner of the accommodation may be adequate.
Thank you. I'll look into postal service option.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not exactly answering your question but Tuitrans will transport your luggage from Porto to Santiago on any of the main Portugues routes so that you can then fly with it direct from Santiago to Faro. Not sure how price would compare to mailing it to your Algarve accommodation but it is another option.
Thank you for the suggestion. I looked at TuiTrans website and they appear to focus on moving baggage between Porto or Tui and SDC while walking the route. I did send an inquiry to see if they could help with my need for getting a bag from Porto to the Algarve.

In 2018, my wife and I used the Portuguese postal service, CTT, to mail a box of clothes and other items from Porto to Casa Ivar in Santiago before embarking on our Camino. The box arrived at its destination without problems. I can't remember how much we spent but we felt it was reasonable. We also liked that we could track the package.
Thank you. Great to hear you had a positive experience with Portuguese postal service. Will check CTT.

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked at TuiTrans website and they appear to focus on moving baggage between Porto or Tui and SDC while walking the route. I did send an inquiry to see if they could help with my need for getting a bag from Porto to the Algarve.
That is their main line of business but the website also says that they can transfer direct to Santiago, although with no price quoted. Hope you get it sorted one way or the other.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Same experience here - mailed a box of clothes from Lisbon to Ivar in Santiago while I walked CP 2019 - all went well and the cost was quite reasonable (17 euro from memory). I bought the box in the Lisbon Post Office, and the staff there sealed it up for me - they were very helpful... I presume the postal service would similarly take it to your accomdaation in Salema...

I did the same before the Sureste in 2019. The main Post office was very helpful and they even had various sized boxes for sale to put stuff in if you need it.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back