• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for March/April Camino

NOLA Cajun

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, Via Francigena, C. Ingles, Finisterre/Muxia
After completing my first Camino (Frances) in July/August 2016 I’m planning to do it again in March/April 2019. If you have done it in early spring, please share with me your experiences. What should I expect? Weather? Availability of albergues? # pilgrims? Equipment advice? Anything else that you’ve experience and/or consider important. I’ll appreciate any comments/advice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nola, it will definitely be colder and wetter than what you experienced last year, but I'm sure that you're expecting this. You will also have some good weather days as you progress. Make sure you have the type of wet gear and footwear that you are comfortable with. Personally I use an Altus poncho as it covers my pack and in the early spring and late fall I now add a super light pair of Gortex rain pants to my gear (for ages I walked in shorts with short gaiters and this works too). My boots are always Gortex lined, but everyone has their own recipe for footwear and rain gear!

Perhaps use different colour dry bags in your pack. I like using these because not only does it keep my gear dry, but it helps me to quickly find things. Clothing layers are the key as others will tell you. As for the number of pilgrims, this changes each year, but this site will provide you with the statistics so that you can get a sense of numbers.
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/

I believe that you will find most albergues open, but you can easily sort this out with the resources available on this forum (refer to Resources section) and the Confraternity Guides are good sources as well as many other online resources.

There is lots of experience and information on this form. A few searches above will bring up more information than you probably want to know!:confused:

Have fun planning your walk, but don't worry, you'll meet lots of people, see lots of storks and the spring flowers will eventually come out to cheer you along each day!!

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
After completing my first Camino (Frances) in July/August 2016 I’m planning to do it again in March/April 2019. If you have done it in early spring, please share with me your experiences. What should I expect? Weather? Availability of albergues? # pilgrims? Equipment advice? Anything else that you’ve experience and/or consider important. I’ll appreciate any comments/advice.
I started from SJPDP the first week of March 2016. Heavy snow the first day (as much as waist deep near Ronce). Three pilgrims tried to take the high route the first day and two were rescued by helicopter with one remaining missing. (They were warned that the high route was closed and there were signs at the beginning that they ignored.) Other than that first day we only had dustings of snow a couple of days at higher elevations. Never had a problem finding an open place to stay or a place to eat. A few very cold nights (30's) in places that did not heat the sleeping quarters. A few rainy and/or muddy days but most were very nice. Not having any crowds or bugs or sweating was great. I am going to do the French route again starting March 9 2018 from SJPDP. I see that you are fairly close by. I live in Pensacola FL. Give me a call PHONE NUMBER DELETED BY MODERATOR - Frank

EDIT BY MODERATOR -- Please do not post personal information, such as phone numbers, emails, or addresses on the forum. Use the private conversation function to exchange that information.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I started from SJPDP the first week of March 2016. Heavy snow the first day (as much as waist deep near Ronce). Three pilgrims tried to take the high route the first day and two were rescued by helicopter with one remaining missing. (They were warned that the high route was closed and there were signs at the beginning that they ignored.) Other than that first day we only had dustings of snow a couple of days at higher elevations. Never had a problem finding an open place to stay or a place to eat. A few very cold nights (30's) in places that did not heat the sleeping quarters. A few rainy and/or muddy days but most were very nice. Not having any crowds or bugs or sweating was great. I am going to do the French route again starting March 9 2018 from SJPDP. I see that you are fairly close by. I live in Pensacola FL. Give me a call PHONE NUMBER DELETED BY MODERATOR - Frank

EDIT BY MODERATOR -- Please do not post personal information, such as phone numbers, emails, or addresses on the forum. Use the private conversation function to exchange that information.
Sorry!

If you're planning to walk in early March, definitely take a light sleeping bag if you get cold easily. I was walking with a French woman to Pamplona and the albergue was not adequately heated. She got so cold at night that I tucked her in with a pile of my clean clothes. Fortunately, I did my laundry that day and the clothes I piled on her was still warm from the dryer. Only on the Camino! :p

Semana Santa usually draws large numbers of walkers, many true pilgrims since the experience is uplifting many are tourigrinos enjoying a delightful and inexpensive holiday. The Camino embraces all. During March/April I have experienced cold, no lets say invigorating sunny weather 3-5C mornings to get you off to a quick start 12-15C afternoons perfect walking weather and again come evening 3-5C to keep you snug as a bug in a cafe/bar with the beverage of your choice. I have also seen "the windows of the heavens and the fountains of the deep" opened for days on end or fog so thick that only the Camino path can be seen.. Be Prepared said Baden-Powell

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back