• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for Ourense

Barry Coltham

BarryCamino
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: VdlP/ Sanabres, SGC, Fisterra Muxia May 2018
Hi I started walking in the via del la plata in Salamanca on 28 April and two days ago started developing shin splints in my left leg on the outside
I am now in vilavella - the climb into Galicia was really hard on the leg i have iced it and the swelling is slightly reduced but still painful mainly on the outside I don’t want to do permanent damage
I am thinking the best solution is to catch a bus to Ourense rest up and seek some medical advice then slowly finish the last 100km to Santiago - does anyone have any advice on accomodation in Ourense and medical advice

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a municple alburgue. I stay at hostal erixo. Bookin.com. Thermal baths. Very nice. Good luck.

The climb out of Ourense is brutal as I remember. Similar to leaving Sanabria. Take a cab to the top!! Lots of up and down the rest of the way as well. Good luck

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi I started walking in the via del la plata in Salamanca on 28 April and two days ago started developing shin splints in my left leg on the outside
I am now in vilavella - the climb into Galicia was really hard on the leg i have iced it and the swelling is slightly reduced but still painful mainly on the outside I don’t want to do permanent damage
I am thinking the best solution is to catch a bus to Ourense rest up and seek some medical advice then slowly finish the last 100km to Santiago - does anyone have any advice on accomodation in Ourense and medical advice

Hi Barry,Check out the web site Gronze it lists accommodation in Ourense.I stayed in a hotel but it was some years ago and I can' t remember the name.I don' t think you will have any difficulty finding medical attention.The Tourist Office should be able to assist you.It is ,indeed,a stiff climb on the camino out of Ourense.I hope you make a good recovery.Buen Camino

I stayed in a comfortable albergue on a main drag. I think before the municipal albergue. Ourense was one of my fonder memories. Definitely a nice place for a rest. Check out the hot baths...may prove therapeutic! But yes it was a surprising, steep climb to get out.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I stayed at Hotel Mino a couple of weeks ago (Papa Juan XXlll, 2, Ourense) Phone +34988217594. It was 30 euro for a single room - very comfortable with a cafe downstairs. There is an elevator. Good location for resuming the camino. A farmacia is always a good place to check in for advice - they would also have recommendations for a medical clinic if needed.

Hope you're on the mend quickly! As mentioned by others there are several steep climbs and descents along the last 100 km.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back