• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for the Camino Ingles for June 2019.

Trevor Reichardt

Time of past OR future Camino
16 August 2016
Hi, my 23 year old daughter and I (55) will be walking the Camino Ingles in late June, and some advice would be appreciated.

1. Where would you bus or train from to get to Ferros. We will fly Dubai - Madrid, and possibly Madrid - Santiago. We are free to do it anyway we want, the nicest way: Train / Bus from Madrid to Santiago or Ferros or fly into Santiago?
2. Would you recommend we pre-book hotels. Or is it okay to just walk into a town and find one we like? Our hotel budget per night is about 100 Euros per person sharing? We would prefer to just wing it as we are free spirited, and if we like a town we may want to stay an extra day or 2, but if its busy and accommodation is scarce this may not be possible, any thoughts on this?
3. Any suggestions on better/nicer alternative routes (along the coast / or avoiding walking next to railway lines), we have no real time constraints? The reason I ask is I read somewhere about an alternative beach route that adds about 3 klm to a stage, but I am not sure where this is.
4. How busy is the Ingles in late June early July?
5. Any other pieces of advice also feel free to let us know; restaurants, festivals, things to do on the way (for my 23 year old).
6. Recommend a nice pension hotel in Santiago in the 200 Euro bracket.

We will stay in Santiago for 3 or 4 days on completion and fly out- again, any recommendations of 'must-dos' for my daughter: Live music, markets, etc.

Thanks in advance.

S&T

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Several buses each day from Santiago to Ferrol. Takes about two hours.

Last edited:
My wife and I will be flying from Madrid to A Coruna, then taking a taxi from the airport to Ferrol . . . although many others use the bus from the airport to Ferrol.

My decision is solely based on having the shortest time of travel to Ferrol. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My wife and I will be flying from Madrid to A Coruna...
I just ran a Google Search on airfares from Madrid to A Coruna and clicked to Track. Just a suggestion to get a really low price, if you haven't bought that airfare yet. :)

I just ran a Google Search on airfares from Madrid to A Coruna and clicked to Track. Just a suggestion to get a really low price, if you haven't bought that airfare yet. :)

Hey, thanks so much :) I did happen to grab my plane tickets already, though. $64.00 for two Economy+ seats. I am going to keep your tip in mind for the future. :)

If you fly to Santiago, train is more comfortable than bus from Santiago, but it takes twice as long as the bus, and goes via La Coruna. One advantage is that when the train comes to Betanzos, it covers the first two guidebook stages in reverse, so you can see the Ingles route.

However, I note that you have time to stay in Santiago for 3 to 4 days after the Ingles. I would take one of those days away from Santiago and instead stay in La Coruna on the day you arrive. This makes the train transfer from Santiago easier, as the trains from Santiago to La Coruna go at least every hour, and in parts of the day every half hour. Also look at what others have said above, flying from Madrid to La Coruna is often cheaper than flying from Madrid to Santiago

La Coruna is a really nice city. Stay there overnight, look around, and then take the afternoon train to Ferrol.

Alternatively, if you want to see inland Spain, there are two direct fast trains per day between Madrid and La Coruna (and which also go onto Ferrol). Depart Madrid at 09.15 and 14.57. Journey time 6 hours to La Coruna and 8 hours to Ferrol.

I would definitely pre-book accommodation, even in Ferrol. Late June is the start of holiday season and Pontedeume is on the coast. There also is not much choice on the end of the other stages (Betanzos, Mezon de Vento / Buscas, and Sigueiro), and therefore, you could have a long walk if rooms were full. In Santiago, I stayed in the NH Collection Santiago de Compostela - 5 star hotel, wonderful comfortable bed, huge breakfast, swimming pool and sauna. A good reward for completing the Ingles. If you are lucky, you may be able to find a room in or near to your budget.

The beach route is between Pontedueme and Mino on the Pontedeume to Betanzos stage and avoids the large hill out of Pontedeume. Look at the thread; 'Pontedueme to Mino - via the coast' for more details. Again, if you have extra days, break the Pontedeume to Betanzos stage into two and stay overnight at Mino, a beach resort. Therefore take some swimming things with you. The Ingles also passes a lovely municipal swimming pool at Sigueiro.

The main thing to understand about the Ingles is that on some stages, shops, restaurants and cafes can be up to 2 hours apart. Unless you take enough water, snacks or sustinence, especially in the summer, the Ingles can be avoidably testing

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Morning all,

Thank you all so much for you input, and a special thanks to you Peb for all the great information, we will definitely make use of all your suggestions. We love the idea of breaking the Pontedeume to Betanzos stage into two and staying overnight at Mino.

Regards

S&T

Hi Guys, we have just finished the Ingles on 1st. May, and we were surprised how busy it was. Accommodation was in demand at every stop. As exciting and attractive as the idea of freely winging it is ( which was our expectation) you would end up sleeping rough if you didn’t book ahead. By many accounts the Albergue at Pontedeume is one to avoid, we pre booked hotel Luis, basic but economical. Heed all the info you on these forums and enjoy mate !

Hi Guys, we have just finished the Ingles on 1st. May, and we were surprised how busy it was. Accommodation was in demand at every stop. As exciting and attractive as the idea of freely winging it is ( which was our expectation) you would end up sleeping rough if you didn’t book ahead. By many accounts the Albergue at Pontedeume is one to avoid, we pre booked hotel Luis, basic but economical. Heed all the info you on these forums and enjoy mate !

I imagine that one could possibly call a taxi, if lodging was unavailable, and spend the night in A Coruna or the next town over, and then return to the Ingles the next morning. Are there places where that would not be the case?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You are right, @davebugg There are several hotels, pensiones, rooms, and casas rurales that don’t get talked about much, but are available (depending on budget, or course) and somewhat nearby the route. Google maps is a great resource to check out the locations. Until more accommodations are available, I also recommend booking ahead if a person isn’t a fast walker planning on arriving at an Albergue quite early, particularly around Hospital de Bruma and Betanzos (until the Albergue is back to full capacity). At some point an Albergue will be opening right on the Camino route near Ordes (right about halfway between Hospital de Bruma and Sigüeiro - right next to Casa Rural Anton Veiras), which should help some.

If you fly in to A Coruña, the O Burgo- Santiago train station is less than 10 minutes away and some trains from A Coruña to Ferrol stop there, 5.40€. Cheaper than a cab to Ferrol or than a cab/train from LCG-A Coruña-Ferrol. Check Renfe.com or the German rail site which covers all Europe and i’ve found to be more complete. I’ll be doing this when I arrive on June 1st. Buen Camino.

I imagine that one could possibly call a taxi, if lodging was unavailable, and spend the night in A Coruna or the next town over, and then return to the Ingles the next morning. Are there places where that would not be the case?
Hey Davebug, that’s a bit drastic, you should get accommodation at or close to your nights destination, on or close to the Way; by planning and booking ahead.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey Davebug, that’s a bit drastic, you should get accommodation at or close to your nights destination, on or close to the Way; by planning and booking ahead.

Wait. . . what?? I "should get accommodation at or close to my nights destination" by pre-booking? Who made THAT a requirement? I find nothing 'drastic' about finding lodging in another town, and then returning the next morning to continue walking the Camino. It is not my preferred choice, but there is nothing wrong with doing so. In fact, taking a taxi or a bus is a common option which pilgrims use on the various caminos, if lodging is full at their destination. There has only been one time that my destination on Camino was fully booked. Though I have done some pre-booking, it is primarily at the start of a Camino and at the end in SdC.

What I find drastic is the notion that it is now a necessity to do pre-booking as the new routine on Camino. There are times where pre-booking can be of help, but the NEED to do so is more the exception than the rule.

It is also drastic to state that the if you do not pre-book and all lodging is completo, the only option is to camp outside. It is 'a bit drastic' to say that because it is not ever really necessary.

Dave, the ingles is not like the Frances. The next town for accommodation, especially in the middle stages, may be over 2 hours away. I would be safe, and pre-book accommodation on the Ingles

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dave, the ingles is not like the Frances. The next town for accommodation, especially in the middle stages, may be over 2 hours away. I would be safe, and pre-book accommodation on the Ingles

Thank you. :) I do understand the differences of distance and accommodations. I am just not that concerned about lodging being completo, and as such do not think pre-booking is something I care to do. Options, though not convenient, are not limited to what is available along the Ingles.

Edit: I do make reservations at the starting point of a Camino and at the end in Santiago, and have done so for this October in Ferrol and in Santiago de Compostela. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
One note...three albuerge Municipal’s where allready running out on capasity. They had to reject walkers all through the evening after our arrival....bar owner stated pick up in volume three weeks before holy week and no dip after either....hugely unormal and should point to pree booking.....paradigm shift in horizon?

Ultreia
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/children-on-camino-ingles.62016/

Last edited by a moderator:
Our FB blog should give info

One note...three albuerge Municipal’s where allready running out on capasity. They had to reject walkers all through the evening after our arrival....bar owner stated pick up in volume three weeks before holy week and no dip after either....hugely unormal and should point to pree booking.....paradigm shift in horizon?

Ultreia
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/children-on-camino-ingles.62016/

I do not see a paradigm shift. Albergues and other lodgings being completo is not new, although it may be much more frequent during the last few years. As well, the strategies for dealing with full lodgings without pre-booking are also not new. Given that not all beds can be reserved. . or even the majority of them . . ahead of time, the paradigm shift would occur IF all beds in all albergues are allowed to be reserved.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good day all, and thanks again for all your valuable info, could someone please tell me what is the distance approximately from Betanzos to Casa Rural Dona María, and is it on they way and relatively easy to find?

Thanks in advance Savannah and Trevor

Good day all, and thanks again for all your valuable info, could someone please tell me what is the distance approximately from Betanzos to Casa Rural Dona María, and is it on they way and relatively easy to find?

I’m sure someone will know the exact distance but in the meantime, have you looked at those links? They give lots of information on itineray, distances and albergues:

It is around 32 km / 20 miles. It appears to be on or very close to the Ingles, so I doubt it is difficult to locate.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello all... I am just wondering about services on the Ingles. I have a guide book (a little out of date) that indicates that there is no food in Hospital de Bruma, and that you should bring some with you. Can anyone give me an update?? Please and thank you.

Trevor, I estimated 36km from Betanzos to Casa Rural Donnamaria.

That sounds a lot, but at a slow 4km per hour, it took me 10 hours, including coffee at Presedo and stopping for lunch at the picnic area by the lake at Vao (took my own lunch as there are not many places to eat on this stage, and I reached Presedo well before lunchtime)

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.