• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for the Ingles

TaijiPilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2011), Camino Frances (2015), Camino Ingles (2017), Camino Muxia (2017), LePuy(2019)
What better way to sit out a snowstorm than by dreaming of the Camino. I am dreaming of celebrating my 70-year-young birthday on the Camino Ingles the last 2 weeks or so in May with Santiago to Muxia/Finisterre if I have enough time. But I also want to visit Lugo since I have not been able to do that on previous caminos. I think it would be better if I go to Lugo first, and I'd like to know if it is easier to get there by flying into Santiago or A Coruna? Would a day be enough to explore the Roman wall and the town? From Lugo, I would train or bus to Ferrol, and I am trying to figure out how to divide the Camino over 7 days. To give me a frame of reference, how do the ups and downs of the Ingles compare to the Frances? Should I carry a sleeping bag, or is a liner enough? I carried just a liner on the Frances mid-May through June, 2015, and did need blankets a few nights (Granon, Trabadelo, San Juan Ortega). From reading Johnny Walker's guide, am I correct in thinking that I need a phone on the Ingles? Do I need 2 sellos a day on the Ingles? If I go on to Muxia, do I need another credencial, or can I use the same one?
Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I can answer your Lugo questions, at least partly. One full day is certainly enough to see the Old Town and Wall, and perhaps a museum and certainly also the Cathedral. Lugo has excellent bus connections to Santiago see http://www.empresafreire.com/html/castelan/seccion3a.php including buses that go from Santiago Airport to Lugo.
Buen Camino, SY

Hola

Lugo is beautiful, you'll enjoy a visit. I found a day there was enough.

Camino Inglés end of May - I'd take a sleeping bag as opposed to simply a liner although I'm a bit cold blooded. It can still be cold in the winter.

Elevations compared to the Camino Francés - there are elevation graphs in the Guide. It depends where on the Camino Frances you wish to compare! There are uphills out of Pontedeume and Betanzos and over the hill to Bruma - but these are all achievable in around an hour.
Splitting the route into 7 stages - many people do this nowadays with Albergues in Neda, Pontedeume, Miño, Betanzos, Presedo, Bruma and Sigueiro. As for a telephone - essential for me when I'm walking on my own. If you mean to call hospitaleros to open Albergues then nowadays over 12000 pilgrims a year are walking this route. I'm sure you'll meet others who will have the means to call the hospitalero if they are not in attendance but why take the risk?
Sellos - the Pilgrims Office asks for two a day on all routes especially within 100 kms of Santiago - these are readily available on the Camino Inglés.
Credencial - You may use the same Credencial to walk onto to Muxia etc. No problem!

Buen Camino

John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We always carry a phone, charged up and turned off to conserve the battery. Useful for checking ahead for accommodation or albergue opening. Good to have for emergencies especially if walking alone, also others may be in need. It is usually the case that the phone is not needed, until there isn't one available. Also if there are many pilgrims and you want a private night somewhere then you can phone ahead for a bed - thinking Meson do Vento on this one if not sleeping at Bruma.

For your visit to Lugo, there are two blog posts from Turismo Verde de Galicia (Turvegal)'s PasearGalicia blog that are quite informative. Last fall Carlos from Turvegal showed me around his hometown and all of the sights we saw (and more!) are outlined in these posts. There is a button on the website where you can see it in English, and both posts include Google maps with the various sites of interest marked. It's a beautiful town with a strong culinary tradition - tapas abound in the bars and restaurants. Enjoy!!

http://www.paseargalicia.com/lucusaugusti/
http://www.paseargalicia.com/lucusaugusti2/

If you fancy sweet treats, Confiteria Madarro is a classic beautiful old store (founded in 1891) in the middle of town with delicious pastries and coffee. Worth a stop to refresh from sightseeing! www.madarro.net

Buen Camino!

Thanks for all the replies. Is there any reason to choose flying in/out of A Coruna vs. Santiago airport. I am flying from the US via Madrid.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola

Lugo is beautiful, you'll enjoy a visit. I found a day there was enough.

Camino Inglés end of May - I'd take a sleeping bag as opposed to simply a liner although I'm a bit cold blooded. It can still be cold in the winter.

Elevations compared to the Camino Francés - there are elevation graphs in the Guide. It depends where on the Camino Frances you wish to compare! There are uphills out of Pontedeume and Betanzos and over the hill to Bruma - but these are all achievable in around an hour.
Splitting the route into 7 stages - many people do this nowadays with Albergues in Neda, Pontedeume, Miño, Betanzos, Presedo, Bruma and Sigueiro. As for a telephone - essential for me when I'm walking on my own. If you mean to call hospitaleros to open Albergues then nowadays over 12000 pilgrims a year are walking this route. I'm sure you'll meet others who will have the means to call the hospitalero if they are not in attendance but why take the risk?
Sellos - the Pilgrims Office asks for two a day on all routes especially within 100 kms of Santiago - these are readily available on the Camino Inglés.
Credencial - You may use the same Credencial to walk onto to Muxia etc. No problem!

Buen Camino

John
JohnnieWalker, for comparison of climbing difficulty, are the stretches you mention more difficult than climbing the Alto de Poio between Hospital and Triacastela or O Cebriero from Las Herrerias to Faba? I think you are a stronger hiker than me so these might give me a better idea.
I was on Gran Canaria in December and noticed the Camino markers. When I searched online, I found you had walked the entire route, and I was amazed that you did that rugged steep camino in 3 days! Thanks.

Hola - on reflection I wouldn't use the word "climbing" - on the Inglés leaving Pontedeume and then leaving Betanzos the initial stages are a stiff walk up hill on pavement or road. 4 kms or 1 hour max. Take your time and all will be well. Similarly I think we've made too much of the hill before Vizoño over to Bruma. The elevation of 400 kms over 3 kms is mostly on the road apart from the final stretch. Again just take your time. Poco a poco everything is possible!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hola - on reflection I wouldn't use the word "climbing" - on the Inglés leaving Pontedeume and then leaving Betanzos the initial stages are a stiff walk up hill on pavement or road. 4 kms or 1 hour max. Take your time and all will be well. Similarly I think we've made too much of the hill before Vizoño over to Bruma. The elevation of 400 kms over 3 kms is mostly on the road apart from the final stretch. Again just take your time. Poco a poco everything is possible!
I knew you were a stronger climber/ hiker than me!!! Thanks for all your advice (seriously!).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello! Last summer I did the 7 stages that Johnnie Walker described and enjoyed the afternoon into the evenings in each of the towns. We also used his guide. I brought a cell phone and used it to book ahead a few private accommodations. I did not need to call a hospiletero, but I am slow walker so other pilgrims were always at the alburgues before me so I didn't need to worry about that :) Buen Camino!

Agreed, just did it a few days ago.
“Slowly slowly catches monkey” someone said. Very true.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.