• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for the Traveling Photographer

Anakasha

I have at this point read through a number of forums and books on the Camino and understand the importance of traveling light. Therein lies the rub. As a professional photographer I come with baggage even when paired down to two lenses and one body. Also, I am relegated to carrying a computer of some sort to download on a daily basis.
Because of this I have to keep my personal items at a minimum.
Does anyone have advice on having small care packages shipped to the post offices along the way and where to get the information on their mailing addresses?
Also, as I've read that plugs for charging these items are at a minimum has anyone used the solar chargers and which are the most effective for something like camera batteries and computer?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I understand your dilemma. My husband is also a professional photographer who walked the camino with his gear and laptop. Plugging in wasn't too difficult. When we got to Spain we bought a double plug so even if the plug near our bed was full, we could simply unplug the other item and plug both into the double plug. You can also strategically choose your spot in a cafe/restaurant and charge while you have a coffee or meal as well.

We do have a small solar charger but didn't bring it on the camino. It has worked for us to charge cell phones and iPods but is not very effective with larger items like camera batteries and laptops.

So we were not packing very light, but enjoyed taking some marvelous photos that made it all worth it.

You didn't ask about luggage, but I thought I'd share anyway. :) My husband got a new photo backpack for the hike, which has a laptop sleeve and good cushioning for camera gear and enough space for personal items. It was a bit of an experiment but he was really pleased with it overall. It was a Kata Source 261. Kata bags are pricy but they have some great options of bigger backpacks that are comfortable for hiking and have camera-specific padding.

Best of luck!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow thank you so much for the quick responses. I will definitely check into the Kata bag.

As for the amount of days the post offices will hold items, thank you that is very helpful. I have the supreme luxury of having a friend who lives in Paris, and who is so excited about the trip she is willing to hold and then mail packages to me along the way.

My next question and the one I should have asked in the first place is: How reliable is the mail service across Spain? Don't get me wrong I'm not one of those people that thinks that Spain is the wilderness, but as someone who has lived in Italy and waited for two months for a package from Austria. I'm curious as to whether this is a viable plan, or if I'm just spinning my wheels on a dream.

Yalla: Did your husband have a separate smaller bag with him for carrying his gear on the flight, and around town at night? I was considering trying to find a lightweight smaller carry on type bag as I am never going to be comfortable allowing the TSA anywhere near my gear, and regardless of how safe the Camino is would never leave my gear unattended. Or am I being too overly cautious?

About 230V Outlets:
I carried with me a video camera (daily charge!), cellular phone (weekly), a tape device (weekly) and a mediaplayer (weekly).
In the restaurant, I always searched a place close to an outlet. Once in Boadilla del Camino, I could charge my camera in the kitchen. So always think charging your devices while you charge your body with food.

Those albergues have individual outlets, list is not complete.
Roncesvalles (New albergue)
Pamplona (Jesus y Maria)
Atapuerca (Peregrino), even with a support to put your equipment on it.

Anakasha said:
My next question and the one I should have asked in the first place is: How reliable is the mail service across Spain? Don't get me wrong I'm not one of those people that thinks that Spain is the wilderness, but as someone who has lived in Italy and waited for two months for a package from Austria. I'm curious as to whether this is a viable plan, or if I'm just spinning my wheels on a dream.

In my experience, absolutely reliable. On long caminos I have had stuff posted to me on several occasions and it was always waiting for me when I went to the Lista de Correos.

Buen Camino

John

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi!
I wonder if the computer really is necessary, it is the most weighing thing, and needing most power? If needed, you can always send files to your home computer or to some server to keep them. Not being a professional myself but doing it for the love of it (=amateur) I prefer two bodies, two prime lenses and two zooms, and a lot of CF's and SD's. I wouldn't rely on one body only, it is so easy to break one.

Who is the Australian guy who made that excellent documentary while carrying loads of photographic kit? I'm sure he'd have useful advice. Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Anakasha said:
Yalla: Did your husband have a separate smaller bag with him for carrying his gear on the flight, and around town at night?

His Kata bag is actually just barely small enough to be a carry-on. We checked our hiking poles and knife in my bag. If you have things that need to be checked you could put them in a small duffel from a thrift store or something and throw away or donate on the other side. I wouldn't trust camera equipment to TSA either!

In the evenings he would carry the backpack around with him, but take out everything that wasn't camera equipment and leave it on his bed so it was a bit lighter. A few albergues have lockers which was always nice. We were very vigilant, even though it was sometimes inconvenient to have to carry heavy gear around. Would be more inconvenient to lose $10,000+ worth of gear! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For charging items, add a Euro specific adapter to it and you are set...http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BZ103050vT ... B0017HF3XO Outlets are very common but often in short supply....I don't think you will need a solar charger. I used my camera quite often and charged the battery every three or four days.

The main question to ask yourself is are you doing the camino as a professional photographer or are you doing the camino as a "civilian" so to speak. What is the reason you are walking?

If you are doing it as a professional photography project, then maybe look into having your backpack transported from town to town so you are only carrying your camera gear. This gets expensive, but then you could carry a full pack of just camera gear and not worry about lugging your camino pack with you.

If you are doing the camino for other reasons, then maybe leave your pro kit at home and take pro-sumer model like a Canon G12 or a micro four-thirds camera. I took a G10 on my camino and an Olympus PEN (and a Nikon D90) when I was hospitaleroing and the PEN outperformed the G10 in so many ways. I used the D90 once in Burgos, and the PEN the rest of the time I was in Spain. It took great pics and was not a target for thieves either...

Just some thoughts....either way, you will figure out what is right for you!

i am not sure what you would need shipped along the way, my backpack was 5,5kg all included and i didnt miss anything at any point...

also, I am sure there's ways around the laptop issue, not sure what you need downloaded

I am not a professional photographer but do give talks to church groups etc so take lots of photos.

If you are walking the Camino to produce a photographic book on the Way have you checked to see that there is a niche for what would be another book when there are already a number out there?

If you are walking as a pilgrim perhaps you should consider leaving your professional life at home, carry a small but decent camera and save yourself a lot of hassle.

Yes there have been times when I have not been able to adequately photograph something I have seen, but I have had to learn to get over it.

Cameras do get stolen though the one I lost was at SJPP railway station not in Spain itself. I lost over two weeks and one hundred slides. Agony for a year or so but then it passed.

Whether this helps or not I offer it as someone who loves great photographs but tries to leave his profession as a church minister behind him. Not easy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Since a few people have asked, No I am not planning on doing a book and this is not actually an assignment for me. It is something I have been planning on doing for 10 years. I have had to postpone twice once after a severe knee injury laid me up for almost two years, and once because of catching mono four days before I was set to leave. Between the physical reasons and the developing of and then having to rebuild my career I have finally found that it is time to go.

That being said, as a photographer I never leave home without a camera, and when leaving my immediate area I don't leave home without a couple of them. My work is mostly travel photography, with a bit of art and random stuff thrown in. I find beauty in the strangest of places. So, I would hate to not be able to get a shot that particularly moves me.

A few people, not just here, have said that I should leave my work behind, but I only consider photography work, when I am assigned to capture images that I have no real interest in. When it is just me and my camera out it the world capturing moments, it becomes a calling. Especially, since those images are made for me, and if someone else likes them or wants to purchase them... bonus.

The photographs I take during my journey along the Camino with be a photographic history of my experience to luxuriate on for years later, and possibly to inspire my friends and family with, so I do want to be adequately prepared. Especially since this will be the first time that I am doing a walking tour alone.

Anakasha said:
Since a few people have asked, No I am not planning on doing a book and this is not actually an assignment for me. It is something I have been planning on doing for 10 years. I have had to postpone twice once after a severe knee injury laid me up for almost two years, and once because of catching mono four days before I was set to leave. Between the physical reasons and the developing of and then having to rebuild my career I have finally found that it is time to go.

That being said, as a photographer I never leave home without a camera, and when leaving my immediate area I don't leave home without a couple of them. My work is mostly travel photography, with a bit of art and random stuff thrown in. I find beauty in the strangest of places. So, I would hate to not be able to get a shot that particularly moves me.

A few people, not just here, have said that I should leave my work behind, but I only consider photography work, when I am assigned to capture images that I have no real interest in. When it is just me and my camera out it the world capturing moments, it becomes a calling. Especially, since those images are made for me, and if someone else likes them or wants to purchase them... bonus.

The photographs I take during my journey along the Camino with be a photographic history of my experience to luxuriate on for years later, and possibly to inspire my friends and family with, so I do want to be adequately prepared. Especially since this will be the first time that I am doing a walking tour alone.

& you have a dodgy knee.............hope you are OK :)

I walked the Portuguese camino last year and took 700 photos. They are a wonderful reminder to me of that wonderful pilgrimage - and the fellow pilgrims met en-route.
This May I'm walking Salamanca to SdC.
I can quite understand your need to photo the beauty and unusual items you see - I shall do the same, and anticipate taking maybe 1,000 shots this year.
Check out: http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm
Good luck with your knee, Anakasha! I have aching hips, am 73, and love every minute of it!
Stephen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know downgrading can be hard, but if it was me i would only take something small, tons of people have taken amazing pictures without pro cameras through time. Taking great pics is not all about the camera but also about the person behind

That said, I myself considered for a short time bringing all my camera gear, then just some and finally settled on just bringing my crappy Nokia phone with camera.

The reason was not only the weight bur also that i find that when traveling with all my gear i end up seeing a lot of the world through the lens, looking for the perfect picture or the best angle and I feel i miss out on other stuff because of that. Dwelling before a beautiful sunset is a different experience when not trying to photograph it and that was the experience I wanted from my Camino.

That said, I fully understand the reluctance to leaving it at home or even downgrading

Great words Pieces, wish someone was packing my bag, getting below 10kgs will be a miracle & not even taking a camera, but feel the kitchen sink is still in there somewhere, mind you prob. end up carrying my partners 'crap', sorry gear :lol:

take out half Abbeydore and then put back in the 2 items you cant leave behind and you are ready to go...

i admit though i went in summer, any other time I would have brought a couple of kilos more....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After that impressive testimony I can only but wish you well.

I never leave the house without a camera either but mine fits into a jacket pocket.

Might I suggest that if you leave your laptop you can carry endless numbers of SIM cards as they are fairly light. Of course you could find yourself bankrupt.....

Have you loaded your rucksack and equipment and tried carrying it for 10 miles?

The other suggestion is some pilgrims find someone to make a trolley which they then pull. This is not cheating (call it a modern mule) but it may make the weight issue less of an issue. Goodness what it would cost to ship.

With a dodgy knee you might need to think outside of the box.

Attachments

• DSCF5541 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF5541 - Copy.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,048
I have seen a few pro photographers out there, and they do carry some seriously heavy equipment (compared to the ordinary consumer user). I hefted one camera once, and they are substantial. I think, though, that it is the laptop that is - or could be - the problem ... I'd be surprised if you wanted to edit photos in the evening after walking .. so ...

.... I'm clinging to the trailing edge of technology here but cannot you take an internet phone that you could use to daily upload your data to some storage place on the interwebnettyvoidthing?

Or, memory cards aren't too expensive - can you not post full cards home every couple of days? Or to yourself, poste restante, in Santiago?

On the other hand, a laptop would have other uses as well as the computer functions, seat pad when ground is damp, portable lap table, Japanese style pillow, and so on. :lol:

Oh I have no intention of editing photos on the way, and while SD cards are very inexpensive my camera uses CF cards which are significantly more money, and unfortunately my iPad does not allow me to upload that much info to it.
I'm beginning to think what I really need to do is take the advice of a few people here and leave the "work" mind at home. My work mind says to back up, back up, back up because you never know what could happen. I take my personal or art photography so personally I would be devastated if I lost a chip full of pictures, but I think my body would be more upset if I loaded it down.
Tomorrow I begin my training walks with my gear. I've been training with just my photo gear and a few other things for a few weeks, but now it's time to add the rest. I guess I'll find out what I can handle at that point, at present I'm doing good at 10 miles per day with 10 lbs.
Since many of you are so knowledgeable could you please educate me on the availability of Internet cafes along the way. I'm thinking maybe I could upload every few days at one of them and that way calm my nerves.
I know I sound a bit anal retentive at this point, but in addition to photography I work as a production manager for film and tv and my main job is figure out what might go wrong and have a back up plan for it. It's very hard when in the planning phases of anything for me to turn that part of my mind off. I've actually planned my vacation to begin in Paris a few days before I leave for the Camino just so I can set my mind right for what's to come.
That being said I really want to thank everyone for their wise words and bits of advice. It is very much appreciated. Especially since there is quite a bit of nervousness mixed in with my excitement.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was only joking about the laptop - when mine is closed it is almost an altar for me - oh! there's another use for one on the Camino! :wink:

I do understand the back up thing - though only from the outside. A while ago I was the celebrant at a wedding and was talking to the photographer later on. I asked her what her main fear was .. I was thinking of stupid things like leaving the lens cap on. For her it was losing those cards, the data. She did a lot of leaving an event in the dark, late at night. She had a flat money belt and before she left any event she went into the toilet, placed all the cards in that and pulled her clothes back down over it. She said she was quite prepared to have her kit stolen but her greatest fear was to lose the pictures.

Perhaps you could do the same? Flat money belt against your skin for the filled cards?

Most of the internet machines I saw in bars along the Camino were boxed-in like gaming machines and had a coin slot ... don't see how a card could be inserted into one of those ... real internet cafes are becoming more rare - though there is a fantastic place in Logrono ... is a youth events centre and at 5pm the computers are open to all .. there must be more places like that, in the cities?

Others will know I'm sure.

You were right about a few things. I have used my closed laptop as a pillow and a food tray. So it might come in handy for that. ;)

Hi again!
You seem to have roused an interesting discussion in many ways.
Regarding your possible problems with your knee, I might have one solution since I have problems with my knees. I know for sure I can't carry my backpack and walk, so I'm taking an old bike (yes, Falcon, it sounds stupid!) with me. That way I can carry all I need, and downhill I'll have a blast. Uphill... well, you can't get everything all the time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think I read most of the replies and didn't see this mentioned: it's not like you're out in the wilderness 24/7 while on the Camino. There are plenty of places along the way where you can just buy most anything that maybe you were considering having mailed to you.

For example: I've read many questions/debates over the best water bottle to bring with you. Forget it! Just buy a liter of bottled water at the local market the night before or each morning as you depart and have one less thing to worry about. I realize some will want to discourage that because they don't want to add to the number of plastic bottles discarded, but they are recyclable. Just toss it in the recycling bin instead of the trash can when you're done.

I carried a lot of camera equipment when I walked from St. Jean to Santiago in 2003. It was a burden, but the photos and memories they bring back make it worthwhile. I got photos I couldn't have gotten as well (size, resolution, sharpness, etc.) with a point-n-shoot.

Just my 2 cents worth.

If you are planning to use computers along the way then I would strongly advise you to be careful regarding viruses and whatnot. If you have a netbook with an external HD, that should be sufficient to upload and backup your photos along the way, in a secure way. Using the internet cafes in bars or computers in the albergues is risky and an invitation to corrupt your memory cards.

Check out: http://foxnomad.com/2010/05/06/how-to-c ... rity-plan/ (go down to the section on security at internet cafes to find the list of things to put on a thumb drive and use when you use internet cafes) <--My friend Anil's website is FULL of great advice for travel and tech stuff. Check it out.

That being said, another option if you don't want to carry a netbook (I would go with a MacBook Air 11" and a 1TB External HD)....then consider carrying a thumbdrive with the programs Anil mentions and a 1TB External HD you can download your photos to. You can also look at uploading your photos somewhere in "the cloud" via DropBox or somewhere else and have a friend at home download and back up those photos for you....this is to address your paranoia at losing your photos, which I understand very much so...it was one of my worries too.

I hope that helps. :)

When I walked the Camino Frances last September, I brought my D80, three lenses, a Gorillapod, a flash and sundries such as charger, spare battery, cards, etc. All-in-all, I carried 3kg of camera gear with me. I'm aware that some would consider this excessive but I sacrificed in other areas and managed to keep the total weight below 10kg. Flying with a budget airline helped curb any excesses. If you are bringing your gear, bring only what you'd be willing to lose or have insurance.

In terms of weight and what gear to bring, I brought only the lenses that I used day to day and frankly, considering how often one lens was used, I probably could have brought just it. I used a camera backpack as I had one already and wanted to save money, however, I would caution against using a camera specific backpack. I found that while mine offered excellent protection, it wasn't designed for long distance walking and I never quite found a way to adjust it so that it sat properly on my back.

I also brought a smaller camera bag that I suspended below my chest. That way my camera, credencial, passport and other important items were always in sight and to hand. I reasoned that if I had to take my backpack off to take shots then after the second or third day, it would stay in the bag and I wouldn't take any. The bag had a waterproof cover so I could bring it into the showers with me and a strap so I could carry it around town and leave the backpack in the albergue when I was done walking for the day. I would also put it into the sleeping bag liner with me as I slept to minimize the chances of theft.

In terms of internet cafes, I discovered late in my Camino that while internet cafes are becoming rarer and rarer, the local libraries frequently offer free internet access.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have another question. This one may be stupid, or just a personal preference.

My mother, who may be more excited than I am, was super cute and bought me one of those backpack cages. I'm personally of the opinion that things like this attract attention to the bag and make people think there is something in there that they might want to get their hands on. Of course I would never tell her that, she is so proud of herself that she found something useful that I hadn't already thought of.
Based on the number of threads on this board about how little theft occurs on the Camino, should I save the 14oz and leave the thing at home, or is it indeed useful?

Anakasha said:
My mother, who may be more excited than I am, was super cute and bought me one of those backpack cages.

Are you talking about a PacSafe? Leave it at home!!!! :) You do not need to carry the extra weight. Anything you don't want to lose, you take with you every time you leave the albergue or your bunk. Some albergues have lockers (Burgos, for one) but most do not. Some even go so far as to suggest taking your valuables with you into the shower in a waterproof sack (I used a small dry bag).

Keep it simple and keep it light...your feet and joints will thank you.

markloft said:
I carried a lot of camera equipment when I walked from St. Jean to Santiago in 2003. It was a burden, but the photos and memories they bring back make it worthwhile. I got photos I couldn't have gotten as well (size, resolution, sharpness, etc.) with a point-n-shoot.

I have similar issues to Markloft's - I love reliving the experience looking the quality photos I'm able to capture with my current Canon 50D and a couple of decent non-kit lenses, not to mention the occasional rental lens. But for the Camino I'm thinking I should leave it at home, perhaps purchasing the newly-released Canon Powershot G1-X for a quality travel camera; my husband would carry a point-and-shoot. I've backpacked with the 50D in the Sierras, carrying two lenses, but for the Camino I think I need to reduce weight...some. I love macro photography and have seen that the G1-X has limited macro capability (I think). Obviously, I like Canon glass, but would appreciate any input from fellow pilgrims. Comments? Input? Many thanks!

By the way, a couple of years ago we went to a presentation by someone who had deliberately not taken photos. No images whatsoever. It was a huge disappointment. Obviously, you do need to experience the world outside of a camera's limited viewpoint - but the memories images bring back are precious.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Anakasha,

I'm also a photographer, and have purchased a portable backup drive to take with me. It takes 14 different types of memory cards including CF, SD cards (which is what my travel camera uses) and also UDMA (what I use in my 5DMkII).
I'll also be using it for work when I get back as I'm a total stress head until I have at least three backups of any job! Perfect for backing up big days like weddings.
Here is the drive I purchased, there are lots of sizes available and you can also just buy the shell and insert your own drive. I was contemplating just overloading on cards, but I would still stress unless I have multiple copies anyway :)
http://www.amazon.com/HyperDrive-ColorS ... B002BBHOTQ
Hope this helps :)

Oh I have no intention of editing photos on the way, and while SD cards are very inexpensive my camera uses CF cards which are significantly more money, and unfortunately my iPad does not allow me to upload that much info to it.

I don't know anything about CF cards, but have you checked to see if there's a CF --> SD card adapter?

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back