• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for the VDLP

Kym Michelle

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2014)
Camino de Santiago (2016)
Camino Portuguese (2018)
I'm considering the VDLP in 2018. Can anyone recommend a guidebook and any advice as a result of hindsight? Also, Seville or Granada as the start point - any preferences? Thx :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Gerald Kelly's guide does the job. But it is limited to starting in Sevilla.

If you want info starting in Granada, look for info about the Mozarabe, which joins VDLP in Merida.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! It is hard to make recommendations when we don't know anything about you - pilgrim experience, fitness, interests, goals, available time, sociability, etc. If you tell us some of your interests/concerns, you'll get more useful answers. :)

I used the Gerald Kelly guide, along with a one-page listing of villages and some help from kml files on maps.me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I finished the VDLP 6 weeks ago . Loved every step . I used the downloaded Gerald Kelly book on Kindle , so I did not have to carry a book . I also had an App you can download called Via de La Plata Premium . I think AUD$2.49 ....with both of these on my phone , I did not need anything else . But if you like to have a book , then the Gerald Kelly book is great .

We started from Sevilla on 15th April, as we wanted to see the Semana Santa (Holy Week) processions. Both Granada and Sevilla are beautiful cities with much to see.
There are some amazing sights to see on the VdlP such as Roman ruins and thermal baths.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I and other pilgrims who used Gerald Kelly’s book thought it left a lot to be desired. A previous post mentioned Kennedy’s – haven’t heard of it – hopefully it’s good. If you read German, the German guidebook was great (especially compared to Kelly). I don’t mean to knock his book too much. If it weren’t for an English guidebook, I would not have been able to walk the VdlP.

I and other pilgrims who used Gerald Kelly’s book thought it left a lot to be desired. A previous post mentioned Kennedy’s – haven’t heard of it – hopefully it’s good. If you read German, the German guidebook was great (especially compared to Kelly). I don’t mean to knock his book too much. If it weren’t for an English guidebook, I would not have been able to walk the VdlP.
Ooops, used Kelly's and it had all I needed. Will go change Kennedyfor Kelly. My only recommendation would be scrapping or changing the maps, because as they are they really are not useful, but as they are also not needed...

I and other pilgrims who used Gerald Kelly’s book thought it left a lot to be desired. ... If you read German, the German guidebook was great (especially compared to Kelly). ....

Quite the opposite experience here, I found Gerald's guide far better (and far more up to date) than the German one (and yes, I do read German, it is my mother tongue).

Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm considering the VDLP in 2018. Can anyone recommend a guidebook and any advice as a result of hindsight? Also, Seville or Granada as the start point - any preferences? Thx :)

I used the Kelly guide but also the guidebook you can get in Sevilla from the 'amigos de la via de la plata' . That was very simple and did the job :)

Quite the opposite experience here, I found Gerald's guide far better (and far more up to date) than the German one (and yes, I do read German, it is my mother tongue).

Buen Camino, SY
And then, of course, there is a pdf file with a description of the VdlP, made by S. Yates! Downloadable from this site. I used nothing on paper at all. The VdlP is not so hard to find--if you use the kml files with maps.me
Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are going solo and need company then I'd advise against it. I would put the Norte, Portuguese and the Frances way ahead of the VDLP.

This was from experience earlier in the year during the peak season. Very few other walkers, mainly retired men (who didn't speak any English but pretty much all snored) or couples.

Some people will have had different experiences. I appreciate that, but this was my take on it, and the best thing I did was to transfer to Portugal from Merida.

Hi! I am just wondering when you are planning to start your camino? :) I am thinking of starting the VdlP in march 2018 from Sevilla. I just bought me the german "Outdoor" guidebook for the VdlP. Hope it will work for me;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Also suggest looking at the site: Gronze.com
It has good info for planning.

I made this simple guide to Seville last year with some useful stuff for the pilgrim.

http://longtrails.org/pilgrim-camino-seville/

Alas I did not get very far and ended up on the Portuguese. I have been a bit of a critic of the VDLP but everyone sees things differently and many loved it.

Had I met more pilgrims along the way I'd have stuck with it longer. I just never found the comradery that is all too present on other caminos.

That said, I think I will go back as it feels like unfinished business and Seville is always worth another visit or ten!

I think I will go back as it feels like unfinished business and Seville is always worth another visit or ten!
I hope you do, but I would never try to talk someone into it! It is what it is - you might love it, you might still hate it, next time.

Just the other day I read your blog account. I walked a week or two ahead of you, and really enjoyed it. On many days I walked "with" others, on most days I met up with some of the dozen people who were within a day of me, and sometimes I was alone (especially in the part after the Sanabres turns off and I walked to Astorga). You had bad weather between Seville and Merida, which is a trial at any time, especially when other things are not going perfectly.

I liked the Merida to Salamanca portion best, so consider starting there.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for all your information! :) I will go through them in the next weeks when I start with the preparation.
There is one thing which is making me worry a bit, it's the number of other pilgrims. I read different statements of other pilgrims when it comes to this point. Some of them were mostly alone and others refer to 10 - 15 pilgrims they have met.
I mean, the Frances was never an option to me because there are too many other pilgrims. I was first thinking about doing the Camino del Norte but then I read about the VdlP and I don't know, it really got me!:) I have no problem spending time alone but I would appreciate to be in good company now and then.

We walked in April and there were plenty of pilgrims on VdlP( between 20 to 50). In fact, some albergues were completo. There were women walking alone, and some teamed up with others who spoke the same language. The weather was very good with little rain. I think if it had rained a lot it would be more difficult as there are many water crossings.

Yes it was very wet last March. Some of the worst mud I'd ever seen and this is after years of hiking in New Zealand!

I must have been a little early because Albergues were no where near full. There was one big place with just one other pilgrim.

Whenever I have walked the Frances it's been really fun. I just didn't find that on the Via, and to be honest the Portuguese wasn't anywhere as fun as the CF. Probably just me though, and I may see things differently next time as I'll have lower expectations.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked in 2015, starting the end of March. In Sevilla it was already hot(32 Celsius) It sure was not a lonely experience, sometimes there was even a shortage of beds in Albergue. I walked alone most of the time but in the evenings there was always pleasant company. The last two years we had reunions with the "Caminofamily" that was formed spontaneously (10 persons from Germany. Belgium and the Netherlands) I liked the VdlP, for me it was my first camino

@sunflower,

I walked VDLP from Sevilla to Galisteo, starting April 1st. This was before and during Easter. The albergues were almost full, if not full at night, and on Easter long weekend numbers jumped up creating a problem in Galisteo, many having to taxi 40km to the next available bed.

So yes, you will most likely walk alone, and have nowhere and noone to share a cafe con leche with, but will meet up with the same cohort in the afternoon.

In terms of finding the “fun” or “social” aspect of the Camino, there’s the Frances, then the Portuguese, followed by the Norte and Primitivo equally and lastly VDLP. VDLP last because it has the least opportunities to catch up,with others duing the day in bars for a cafe con leche or tortilla. It’s a Camino for walkers.

But of course you may find someone you click with and walk well with, so that gives you company during the day, you will just start walking together and keep walking, not bumping into people at various watering holes.

Lovely afternoons with good food in many interesting cities, towns and villages.

If you don’t mind the heat, and welcome peace and quiet, I highly rcommend it.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back