• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for walking Camino Frances in early August 2018

Jose Lopera

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2018
I am walking the Camino Frances starting in Leon on 10/8/18 and I have read some great advice on various topics which I will implement on my journey. I was after advice about booking Albergues before my departure from Australia. I have no time limit for my walk, but due to it being High Season for the Camino I don't want to be sleeping outside.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jose, welcome to the forum.
If I was you I would book Leon before leaving Australia and if you have an end date I would also book Santiago. As for the rest I would either take it as it comes or book as I go. You can use booking.com or you can ring the accommodation direct. Usually booking the day before works OK with the possible exceptions of festivals.
There is another current thread that may have useful information for you. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/accommodation-on-the-camino-france.52189/
Wishing you a very buen camino.

If you have an android device can I suggest you grab this app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.moemke.android.mycamino

It is free, you can download maps for the Frances free, it allows you to easily develop a plan for daily walking, shows all the accommodation available, including costs, facilities, web addresses, phone numbers, shows you the changes in height above sea-level of each town/village so you know if the going will be tough or not.

It's a great planning app and can be very useful while you're on the path.

Hope to start from Leon in Aug, 2018 as well. I hope you love your time on the Frances.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Depending on a few key items...I hope to start at SJPDP in the early fall, this will be my tenth anniversary and my sixth Camino. I fondly remember Leon, it’s beautiful Cathedral, bull ring, helpful Policia Civil and large albergue municipal.
The Camino continually calls you back. The pilgrims you meet, the silence you seek and the grace you receive are with you forever more.
Buen Camino,
Arn

If you have an android device can I suggest you grab this app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.moemke.android.mycamino

It is free, you can download maps for the Frances free, it allows you to easily develop a plan for daily walking, shows all the accommodation available, including costs, facilities, web addresses, phone numbers, shows you the changes in height above sea-level of each town/village so you know if the going will be tough or not.

It's a great planning app and can be very useful while you're on the path.

Hope to start from Leon in Aug, 2018 as well. I hope you love your time on the Frances.
Hi Lance - that Android app sounds good - would you know if there is an equivalent one for IOS - many thanks

Hi Lance - that Android app sounds good - would you know if there is an equivalent one for IOS - many thanks

I suggest you check the Apple store as I know there are a number available but I have no idea which would match your needs.

They're mostly very cheap and I believe would be worth the price.

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I suggest you check the Apple store as I know there are a number available but I have no idea which would match your needs.

They're mostly very cheap and I believe would be worth the price.

Buen Camino
Will do - hoping to have a Good Camino - muchas gracias

I am walking the Camino Frances starting in Leon on 10/8/18 and I have read some great advice on various topics which I will implement on my journey. I was after advice about booking Albergues before my departure from Australia. I have no time limit for my walk, but due to it being High Season for the Camino I don't want to be sleeping outside.

August will be hot. My first Camino was started on 1/9/16. What I didn't appreciate was the temperature difference between our spring, and a Spanish autumn. 25 degrees Celsius difference. I also didn't appreciate the effect of the jet lag from the 2 and a half day non stop journey from NZ, arriving at SJPDP at 5.00pm and setting off the next morning for Roncesvalles at 6.30am.
It took the first week to become accustomed to the heat. NZ is an island country, the continental climate is much more intense. I hardly used my sleeping bag, I had the lightest I could find, but should have left it at home, and just used my silk liner.
In 2017 we set off in May and the difference was not so noticeable, in fact I actually used my jacket more than once. By the time we reached Galecia and 40 degree Celsius heat, we had acclimatized to it. Although I have to say we treated ourselves in Santiago with an air conditioned apartment, which after all the albergues was heaven. Both times we set off immedaitely the next day, but it made a huge difference starting in a cooler season.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back