• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for Walking the Camino del Norte

TraveltoMastery

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte, Camino Primitivo, Camino Finisterre
Last summer (2016) I walked the Camino del Norte, Camino Primitivo and Camino Finisterre. The beauty of the camino is that you never know where the path will take you. I set out with the sole intention of walking the entire del Norte, but though the advice of a priest, I took a detour into the Picos de Europa and stayed for a few days in a town called Potes before carrying on to the Camino Primitivo. My journey can be found here: traveltomastery.com

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Nice blog! Your photos are wonderful!

I was wondering how you did your detour into the Picos? It's an area I would like to explore more but haven't had much luck sorting out public transportation. I am thinking of doing the Camino del Salvador this summer to get a little closer to it!

Cheers,
K

It's a 2 or 3 day walk from San Vicente de la Barquera on the Norte to Potes. This is the Camino Lebañiego. In Potes, the Camino Vadiniense will take you up to Fuente De, through the mountains, and then down to join the Frances in Mansilla de las Mulas. A bunch of us have done this over the last few years--take a look in the subforum for the Vadiniense and you'll find links to blogs, questions, etc. And then fire away with your questions--someone here is likely to know the answer or how to find it. Buen camino, Laurie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks so much! I hadn't hear of the Vadiniense! Another one to add to the list...

It's a 2 or 3 day walk from San Vicente de la Barquera on the Norte to Potes. This is the Camino Lebañiego. In Potes, the Camino Vadiniense will take you up to Fuente De, through the mountains, and then down to join the Frances in Mansilla de las Mulas. A bunch of us have done this over the last few years--take a look in the subforum for the Vadiniense and you'll find links to blogs, questions, etc. And then fire away with your questions--someone here is likely to know the answer or how to find it. Buen camino, Laurie

Nice blog! Your photos are wonderful!

I was wondering how you did your detour into the Picos? It's an area I would like to explore more but haven't had much luck sorting out public transportation. I am thinking of doing the Camino del Salvador this summer to get a little closer to it!

Cheers,
K
Hi K,
I walked from Comillas to San Vicente de la Barquera (roughly 20km). From San Vicente de la Barquera I took a bus to Potes, since walking there would have meant cutting out other side excursions. There are two buses daily from San Vicente one in the morning and the other in the evening. Let's just say that if I had known about this town before embarking on the Camino, I would have stayed longer. The town and surrounding area are breathtaking.

Thanks! I think I'll try and get to Potes for a few nights this summer then do the Salvador a little later (I live in Bilbao so am lucky I can access these places!). So excited!

All the best,
K

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks! I think I'll try and get to Potes for a few nights this summer then do the Salvador a little later (I live in Bilbao so am lucky I can access these places!). So excited!

All the best,
K

Hi WestKirsty,

Have you put Gaztelugatxe or the Coastal trail from Bidart to San Sebastian on your list? The timing to Irun and bus to Bidart is a little tricky, but the walks are amazing!

poogeyejr, post: 507015
poogeyejr, post: 477205

So we went to Gaztelugatxe as you can see from the picture above it was a busy day!

We took a local bus 3518 from downtown Bilbao to Bakio on the coast and due to my iffy back, took a taxi to the village about 1.1km about Gaztelugatxe. (The parking lot)

Then we took the shorter winding path down (with many stairs) approx 1.5km, and the 241 steps up the other side, and had a picnic on the top. We walked back the longer (3-4km, road route, I had pulled my back while in Ireland and had residual pain on stairs, so the high steps on the short cut climbing back up the hill may have been a problem. I would recommend the road down, for anyone who's knees don't appreciate the higher stair. (You get to the parking lot and keep walking to the NW and you will see the road path going down.)

We both rang the bell and made our wishes, probably for a helicopter to lift us back up the hill to the village.

It was wonderful day, crowds and all, and no back pain so that was a plus! I found extra info on the EuskoGuide - link is below.

Kathy

EuskoGuide tells us:
The climb down the hill, across the bridge and up to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe is a small adventure that will handsomely reward you with truly impressive views. The ocean can be particular rough in this area and the waves really crash against the rocks of the island, adding to its awe-inspiring beauty. If you think it looks cool in the photos, just wait till you experience it in person.

San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, whose name means “castle rock” in Basque (“gaztelu” = castle + “aitz” = rock), is a definite “must” if you are visiting the Basque Country. It is an island located just off the shore along the Bay of Biscay, 35 km east from Bilbao. The island is cone-shaped and features a tiny church on its highest point that is dedicated to John the Baptist. Although not proven, it has been said that he even set foot on the island.

San Juan de Gaztelugatxe is connected to the mainland by a man-made stone bridge. The bridge transitions into a narrow path that contains 241 steps and zigzags its way back and forth to the top. Once there, you will find the church which has a bell situated along the front of its facade. According to legend, after you have completed the climb, you should ring the bell three times and make a wish.

http://www.euskoguide.com/places-basque-country/spain/san-juan-de-gaztelugatxe/

THANK YOU!!!! This is more info than I had before. As I am comfortable walking Pasaia to San Sebastian on this route, so the Hondarribia to Pasaia should be a breeze!

Hi WestKirsty,

Have you put Gaztelugatxe or the Coastal trail from Bidart to San Sebastian on your list? The timing to Irun and bus to Bidart is a little tricky, but the walks are amazing!

poogeyejr, post: 507015
poogeyejr, post: 477205

Yes! I have been to Gaztelugatxe many times. It is such an incredible place! Last year I did the Norte from Irun so have walked that portion but I haven't walk in France yet. I'll add it to my list for sure!

I'm also trying to piece together an alternate route along the Norte to take in some more of the coast including Gaztelugatxe. I've done a few day trips to try out some routes and I'll post what I can on the forum in case others are interested!

So amazing! I was on the North Coast from Bidart to San Sebastian Jan 30th it was 20 degrees and back again in April also warm and gorgeous.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.