• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice / Help / Tips / Experiences VDLP - Ourense to Santiago

m00nman

Neil and Craig in Pontedueme - 2012
Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles (2012, 2019), Norte (Hendaya - Gernika, (2013, 2019), Ourense, (2014), Portugues Oct (2017).
Hi everyone...Hope you are all well...only me again looking for some new advice. Hope you can help. Quick bit of background so far...

I stumbled onto the whole Camino de Santiago experience a couple of years ago and in 2012 a friend and I walked the Camino Ingles. A fantastic experience for us both, especially for me as, the following year (2013), I dragged by wife and two boys along the first 5 stages of El Camino del Norte from Hendaya as far as Gernika...we will pick that route up again in 2015. Hopefully you will be able to see our blogs for each trip embedded in my signature.

Anyway, Craig and I have managed to find flights in early October this year (2014) which will allow us 4-5 days walking again. As much as we loved the Camino Ingles and will hopefully do it again one day, we would love to try something new...so I have stumbled onto this part of the Forum.

My questions are these if anyone can advise...
  • Would you recommend walking from Ourense
  • Is it as easy to travel down to Ourense from Santiago airport?
  • Is there a Jonnie Walker guide like the Ingles? (what a fantastic guide this was by the way)
  • Any other advice on the terrain to be honest
  • We do not want to walk from Sarria this time round (one day for sure) but apart from the VDLP route are there any other options available to us. We want to ensure we complete the 100k minimum to obtain the certificate
Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanking you all in advance,

Neil and Craig!

Attachments

• Santiago.jpg
    Santiago.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes. It is a very nice walk, with a substantial climb out of Ourense.
Yes. Take the bus to the bus station, then take a bus to Ourense. Monbus, if I recall correctly.
  • Is there a Jonnie Walker guide like the Ingles? (what a fantastic guide this was by the way)
Yes, I think.
It is not difficult after the climb out of Ourense, which actually starts with a climb down to the river if you start at the albergue. There are two routes, both with the same climb.
  • We do not want to walk from Sarria this time round (one day for sure) but apart from the VDLP route are there any other options available to us. We want to ensure we complete the 100k minimum to obtain the certificate.
The Camino Ingles from Ferrol qualifies as well.

Yes, I would recommend this, I think its quite different from the Ingles which I have walked a few times. But last year I walked from A Gudina via Verin and Ourense to Santiago.
I caught the airport port bus and got off at the train station to get my ticket for later the same day, there are lots of daily trains to Ourense.
I always use the CSJ guide although mine was really old [ not by JW] but its a well marked route
I stayed in a mixture of alburgues and hostels[ it was wet, cold and snowy]
Not sure how to describe the terrain because on the CI there are a few steep hills so probably not much different.
it was 5 days walking from Ourense to Santiago.
Liz

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just to add to my post above, both the bus and train station are a little way out from the centre of Ourense but the VDLP goes past them, so it may be a case of going into Ourense to get your sello and walking out again. There was another train station in Ourense but I'm not sure if its still open.

Hi Neil and Craig,

The VdlP from Verin via Ourense to Santiago was my first venture on the Camino in 2007. I walked the Ourense to SdC stages over four days - 21, 33.5, 33 and 16 km respectively. There is a steep climb out of Ourense 12% for approx 2 km but mostly it is undulating, not too taxing and very picturesque.

I'm not sure what has changed in terms of infrastructure since 2007 but I certainly remember the Albergues at A Laxa (Lalin) and Capilla De Santiaguino being very modern and clean. Ourense and Cea were older but comfortable.

There is a downloadable guide from Xacobeo to the route and also some dedicated web pages. Not step by step instructions but a good overview. I used Alison Raju's guide and just copied the pages for the stages in Verin so I didn't have to carry the whole book.

I've attached a kmz file of the route which you should be able to load in Google Earth to see stages, elevation profiles etc. Can also be viewed here in Google Maps. It may have changed slightly over the last 7 years to avoid the new Motorway and High Speed Railtrack but should still give a good representation.

I have walked into Santiago on all routes now and VdlP is still my favourite approach.

Good luck with your planning for whatever route you decide to take :)

Buen Camino
Mig

Attachments

• Verin To Santiago (Camino Sanabres).kmz
    68.8 KB · Views: 17
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've only walked the VDLP, and so am totally biased. :) So yes, do walk from Ourense. There's a lovely detour at Cea to Oseira and a Cistercian Monastery; take it for sure.

I took the bus from Santiago to Ourense in 2009, and I believe it was 1-2 miles to walk from the station to my lodging in the center of the city.

If you like e-guides, I've written a VDLP app for Apple products and Droids (I'm a travel journalist).

Like the others said, there's a big climb out of Ourense, and a few other reasonably large hills (like the one going down into Ponte Ulla, then up and out again), but overall it's not terrible.

FYI, I've walked Ourense-Santiago twice in the fall, and the weather has been lovely. A little cool in the morning, but things warm up nicely during the day. This year I'll walk that stretch in early April, so I'll be interested to see the difference.

Buen Camino!

Melanie

Folks, thank you all for your input, it's fantastic! Mel the App sounds great, what is it called and I'll look it up...I'm an Android user!!!

Hi everyone...Hope you are all well...only me again looking for some new advice. Hope you can help. Quick bit of background so far...

I stumbled onto the whole Camino de Santiago experience a couple of years ago and in 2012 a friend and I walked the Camino Ingles. A fantastic experience for us both, especially for me as, the following year (2013), I dragged by wife and two boys along the first 5 stages of El Camino del Norte from Hendaya as far as Gernika...we will pick that route up again in 2015. Hopefully you will be able to see our blogs for each trip embedded in my signature.

Anyway, Craig and I have managed to find flights in early October this year (2014) which will allow us 4-5 days walking again. As much as we loved the Camino Ingles and will hopefully do it again one day, we would love to try something new...so I have stumbled onto this part of the Forum.

My questions are these if anyone can advise...
  • We do not want to walk from Sarria this time round (one day for sure) but apart from the VDLP route are there any other options available to us. We want to ensure we complete the 100k minimum to obtain the certificate
Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanking you all in advance,

Neil and Craig!

Santiago airport to Santiago bus station (EE AA) or train station with Empresa Freire.

Santiago bus station to Ourense with Monbus; or, Santiago train station to Ourense with Renfe

Santiago SCQ Labacolla
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Santiago/en/

Empresa Freire
http://www.empresafreire.com/html/castelan/seccion0.php

Santiago bus station
http://www.tussa.org/web/interior.php?txt=arbore_web6&lg=ing

Monbus
http://www.monbus.es/index2.htm

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nice one whariwharangi, again, much appreciated!!!

I highly recommend Melanie's app. I leave in April and it has been great learning tool. Also Google earth has mapped most of the route that is in main roads.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks forthe link, I'll take a look later this evening!

Has anybody walked this route in early October? I'm assuming it'll be fresh without being cold and I wonder what sort of numbers of pilgrims we will meet at this time of the year? I do remember the Ingles being fairly quiet in early September when we walked it???

Thanks for sending the link for me, Lynnejohn. I'm still somehow missing notification when people respond to a post (even though I thought I signed up for it), so I can be a day or two late in responding.

Neil, I've walked this last section in September and October several times. Yes, it was fresh without being cold. I liked having light gloves for my hands for the first hour or so in the morning, which was the coldest time of day. I'm also a big proponent of compression sleeves for your arms and calf sleeves for your legs. They keep you warm, but aren't bulky or heavy and you can easily roll them down if it gets a little too warm. Then you can walk with shorts and just a light shirt and maybe a light vest.

The VDLP in general doesn't get a ton of pilgrims, but in the fall you should see some most days. If not while you're walking, then certainly at night in the bar-restaurants and albergues.

Melanie

Thanks Melanie, much what I thought to be honest...it's all good!

Credentials are en-route thanks to the Peterborough Pilgrims so just have to be patient now, enjoy summer (if we ever get one in Northern Ireland) and look forward to hopefully another venture to Santiago de Compostela (with a few treks around the Mourne Mountains to keep the legs in check over coming months).

Trying to convince a few friends to join us so we'll see what happens. I honestly cannot talk highly enough of my previous Camino experiences and know that there is plenty of adventure still to come!

Thanks again to all of you who posted, it's great to hear from you all!

Neil and Craig

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well we made it...what a fantastic walk, far too many memories to comment on. I will put a blog together for the trip and share it as soon as I can...
Thanks to everyone who supported the charity along the way including Anna and her sister from County Wexford, you're amazing people!!!

justgiving.com/Neil-Armstrong5

IMAG1115_1.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back