• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice: minimalist packing list?

Lucho

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 Frances
2024 Frances w/ Primitivo
I apologize that I'm adding yet another packing list thread to the cairn, but looking for a little targeted advice.

So, what is the least amount of stuff you can take on a full French (starting in SJPdP) without being the smelly vagabond no one wants to sit next to? I'm looking to take as little a possible.

HIKING ITEMS:
backpack
trekking shoes
Nalgene water bottle (750ml) or Camelback (2L)...which one I haven't decided yet
lightweight rain jacket
pocket knife or multitool
buff
baseball cap

CLOTHES:
casual shoes (alpargatas: they're kinda like slippers)
3 socks (merino)
2 t-shirts (merino)
1 long sleeve shirt (merino)
1 ultralight puffy (down)
1 pair of convertible pant-shorts

TOILETRIES:
travel pack of Wet Wipes
bar of soap
toothbrush
toothpaste
deodorant
travel towel

LUXURY ITEMS:
pocket camera w/ charger
guidebook

And finally, passport and credit/bank cards. Is there anything I can cut out? Anything essential that I've forgotten?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
...So, what is the least amount of stuff you can take on a full French (starting in SJPdP) without being the smelly vagabond no one wants to sit next to? I'm looking to take as little a possible?

Hello Royce
...it all depends on the season you choose to walk in. When will you be setting off?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I apologize that I'm adding yet another packing list thread to the cairn, but looking for a little targeted advice.

So, what is the least amount of stuff you can take on a full French (starting in SJPdP) without being the smelly vagabond no one wants to sit next to? I'm looking to take as little a possible.

HIKING ITEMS:
backpack
trekking shoes
Nalgene water bottle (750ml) or Camelback (2L)...which one I haven't decided yet
lightweight rain jacket
buff
baseball cap

CLOTHES:
3 socks (merino)
2 t-shirts (merino)

TOILETRIES:
travel pack of Wet Wipes
bar of soap
toothbrush
toothpaste
deodorant
travel towel

LUXURY ITEMS:
pocket camera w/ charger
guidebook

And finally, passport and credit/bank cards. Is there anything I can cut out? Anything essential that I've forgotten?
Hi Royce,

In addition to to items mentioned above, a good supply of foot care products / first aid kit. Heaven forbid a blister shows up. If it does, have what is needed to take care of it immediately. Once they start, they do not get better quickly.

Also, if the hhike happens in warm months, maybe drop a pair of socks. Wear one, pack one.

Does that list include the pants and shirt that you are typically wearing while walking? If so, what will you wear when you are washing your walking pants? Even a light pair of shorts that you can use as sleepwear would be fine. I suggest that you do need 1 spare underwear, and 3 pairs of socks in total (1 to wear, one to be drying, and another to put on when you get to the albergue with wet feet).

You don't need the wet wipes, and half a bar of soap will do. I agree that you should have a sleeping bog or liner, and some footcare first aid. You don't absolutely need the pocket knife, and certainly not a multitool.

Nalgene water bottle (750ml) or Camelback
Cheaper and lighter is to buy a bottle of soft drink or water, and then use that bottle until it gets gunky. I use a one liter bottle, that I keep in a side pocket on the bag, and (sometimes) a half liter bottle clipped to my strap.
Get one with a corkscrew. I prefer one with a decent pair of scissors, as I can use that to trim my nails.
baseball cap
Something with a wide brim may be a better choice - or carry sun screen.

Anything essential that I've forgotten?
I'd say so. It looks like you've forgotten underpants and some kind of cover for sleeping. As a matter of hygiene, most albergues require you to have a bed sheet or a sleeping bag. The light weight option is to carry a silk bag liner.
I'd also get a money belt/safety pouch for carrying my passport and valuables.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If summer or warm time sun screen. Insect repellent can be of great use. Small led light for getting around albergue. If starting in fall when sun comes up at 9:00am and you must leave albergue at 8:00am a head torch.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
-Sunglasses
- Key ring flashlight: For finding your way to the bathroom
- Nail clipper:
- Safety pins:
-A second convertible pant (same model), but just the top, you can switch the bottom part on each other.
Last summer i have a hat but if i remember well i did not really use it, instead I use my buff to cover my ears and my neck. But a baseball cap I think is a must.
-Maybe a multi-tool is too heavy ( in weight), me i brought i small pocket knife 3 inch long... for cutting cucumber :)
- Ears Plugs
- Something for tummy problems... it can save you.
- Half of roll paper toilet in a ziploc.
- A hand sanitizer when you threat your treat you blisters.
-Some needles and white thread for blisters.

Yeah know i add a lot of things :) I was minimalist too

Bring a guide book or not, it's a big question. Me i brought one and i cut pages when I arrived to albergue. But I realize after l was losing my time to doing that. :)

Sorry for my English

Last edited:

HIKING ITEMS:
backpack
trekking shoes
lightweight rain jacket
buff
baseball cap

CLOTHES:
3 socks (merino)
2 t-shirts (merino)

TOILETRIES:
travel pack of Wet Wipes
bar of soap
toothbrush
toothpaste
deodorant
travel towel

LUXURY ITEMS:
pocket camera w/ charger
guidebook

You don’t mention underwear. Perhaps you’re going commando, but if not, I’d bring three pair. I took two tops of convertible pants but only one bottom. A sleeping bag is a personal choice. For me it is a must. Another must is a cork puller. If nothing else, it’ll make you all kinds of friends.

Hahaha. Yes, I forgot underwear but definitely intended to take some. Thanks all.

- So regarding sleeping bag or liner: I assumed albergues were like hostels where they have sheets on the bed. Some of you seem to imply that that is not always the case and a liner (at least) is needed. Is that correct?

- Oh, and I edited out my season by mistake...I'm going April/May.

- The used water bottle is a good idea. I've done that before so I think I'll give it try here. Thanks.

- I like the idea of a convertible pant top to wear while washing others.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree with all the above comments and advise.
The albergue sheets are not changed very often and they never have a top sheet, so you def need to bring a liner or lightweight sleeping bag.
I take two Smartwater brand water bottles with the attached flip up cap so you don't have to hold the cap (or drop it) while taking a drink. The bottles are smooth with no ridges so slide in and out of the backpack side pouches easily.

Last edited:
- So regarding sleeping bag or liner: I assumed albergues were like hostels where they have sheets on the bed. Some of you seem to imply that that is not always the case and a liner (at least) is needed. Is that correct?
In Spain, a "hostal" is pretty much a small hotel, and you will have your own room with all bedding provided. "Albergues" range from no-frills rooms filled with bunkbeds with plastic-covered mattresses, to lovely rooms with regular beds. The prices vary accordingly. There are a few albergues that provide only a 1-inch mat on the floor for sleeping. Generally you should not expect to be provided with top sheets to cover you, although most places will have a fitted sheet over the mattress.

Hahaha. Yes, I forgot underwear but definitely intended to take some. Thanks all.

- So regarding sleeping bag or liner: I assumed albergues were like hostels where they have sheets on the bed. Some of you seem to imply that that is not always the case and a liner (at least) is needed. Is that correct?.
Contour sheet of some sort is provided, cotton or paper. But that still doesn’t mean you want to sleep direclty on it as it may not have been wasjed for days. Always bring something to put between yourself and whichever sirface you are sleeping on.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For sleeping bag liners, consider these:

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/bags/sleeping-bag-liners/rectangle-liner

There is also a fleece rectangular liner / lightweight bag, as well as a mummy-shaped bag.

These are the best I have found so far for liners. The key is the full separating zipper and generous size. It opens the bag into a flat sheet and two liners can be paired to form a double sized liner bag. MIne is folded and goes into a one gallon ZIplock bag with the air pressed out of it.

I cannot abide mummy-shaped bags, and being over 50, I need to use the toilet several times each night... So this solution works best for me.

Hope this helps.

:eek:Aghhh......and nobody has mentioned 'bed bugs'!:eek:

If you are thinking of getting a sleeping bag liner - then get one that has been factory-treated against bed bugs.

Buen Camino

Ex Officio underpants and a spare. Easy to wash and quick to dry. Very comfortable. I even heard some women raving about theirs.

Remember not to pack the knife. You will have to buy it once there.

I take a rectangular, lightweight, cheap sleeping bag that can also unzip fully open. I fold it up, cram it in a big ziplock bag, then sit on it to squeeze out excess air before zipping shut. I treat it with Permathrin on the outside...don't know if it really helps, but no bedbugs yet after 3 Caminos!

Other items I'd consider mandatory:
Safety pins (for hanging wet clothes on the outside of your pack) (4 large/4small) 0.2oz total
Pack cover, dry bag(s), trashbag or liner (to keep items in your pack dry)
Current converter for your charger (if it's not already EU configured) 0.2oz
Light (head or hand) for those early morning starts 0.5oz (In May/June I used it twice), but more necessary for April.
Pillowcase (I used a piece of silk for weight) 1.4oz
Sleep sack (or sleeping bag) 5oz
Clothes pins (8) 0.2ea

Optional items:
Rock (representing a burden you carry - for laying down at Cruz de Ferro)
Journal and pen
Phone
Shower shoes/flops
Hiking pole(s)/stick
Lip balm (or similar)
Mesh bag (for carrying groceries, segregating items, dirty clothes etc.) FYI: a "Chum bag" is the lightest example I've found weighing a mere 1.4oz

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Headlamp...mine actually hooked to my pack. Early morning starts are beautiful to capture the sunrise....just remember they’re usually behind you Also clothes pins to attach damp clothes to your backpack. I never carried morethen a 500 ml bottle of water. Buen Camino

I'd bring the 2nd pair of convertible pants - full pair, not just the top part. It will we April/May so that means it will probably be cold and wet for part of your Camino - and probably muddy. I would want the ability to wash and dry my pant legs while still having a pair of long pants to wear.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On the third day I donated a camera, my guide book, long sleeved button up shirt, long sleeved merino, ..... half way through traded my sleeping bag for a liner and gave away my extra shoes.
Kept
Phone and charge cords....works for camera as well
Short sleeved and long sleeved merino lightweight, two quick dry light weight button up. Two quick dry hiking pant, thin micro down zip jacket,three pairs non binding socks and my Keen sandals......my beloved full size hairbrush and a real normal beach towel....after a long walk and shower ...wrapping in a real towel....heaven.
When you get out there you’ll realize what you really need ....and no matter what you spent...nothing will be worth the extra weight if it means preventing your finish.
Buen Camino

On the third day I donated a camera, my guide book, long sleeved button up shirt, long sleeved merino, ..... half way through traded my sleeping bag for a liner and gave away my extra shoes.
Kept
Phone and charge cords....works for camera as well
Short sleeved and long sleeved merino lightweight, two quick dry light weight button up. Two quick dry hiking pant, thin micro down zip jacket,three pairs non binding socks and my Keen sandals......my beloved full size hairbrush and a real normal beach towel....after a long walk and shower ...wrapping in a real towel....heaven.
When you get out there you’ll realize what you really need ....and no matter what you spent...nothing will be worth the extra weight if it means preventing your finish.
Buen Camino

Nice! I like to hear about people getting rid of stuff.

Yeah, after about a year of using a microfiber travel towel the size of dish towel, I recently upgraded to a near normal sized travel towel and haven't looked back. The dance of drying myself off with such a measly rag would be Three Stooges-level physical comedy if anyone could spy me. Needless to say, I'll be bringing the larger one on the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

HIKING ITEMS:
backpack
trekking shoes
lightweight rain jacket
buff
baseball cap

CLOTHES:
3 socks (merino)
2 t-shirts (merino)

TOILETRIES:
travel pack of Wet Wipes
bar of soap
toothbrush
toothpaste
deodorant
travel towel

LUXURY ITEMS:
pocket camera w/ charger
guidebook

I'm normally an overpacker, but I have an aversion to carrying extra weight so I took very little for a summer Camino.
Clothes: 2 T's, 2 pairs of shorts. 3 sets underwear. No long pants but I walked May/June. 3 pairs of socks (they take ages to dry, and are sometimes still wet the next morning). Nothing long sleeved, but a light puffer and a rain jacket. When it was cold I wore everything all at once.
You may need an adapter if the power plugs in your country are different.
Unless you are really lucky its likely you'll need some first aid - plasters etc for blisters, and scissors to cut it with.
If your second toe is longer than your first toe, I'd recommend silicon toe caps.

I notice that more and more of the albergues provide liquid soap but you cant rely on that so cake soap is good. I never took wet wipes, just serviettes from cafes and carried those - wet them with my drink bottle if needed.
You may need toilet paper, one roll did 2 of us a whole Camino, there's always serviettes, you'll find that a lot of the cafe toilets have run out of paper. And sometimes you may need to go in a field.
Again not knowing the season, will you need a sleeping bag? Or a liner? I only used a liner.
Also I always take a notebook as a journal with a pen.
A knife that you can cut cheese, bread and fruit with.
Walking poles - I am now a convert, get the folding ones that will go in your pack, and rubber stoppers so you dont click on the pavement.
Sunscreen.
Safety pins for hanging up clothes
Light head torch - pick one that has a red bulb as well, so if you leave early you don't wake up the whole dormitory.

I will add that by the time I got to Santiago I was thoroughly sick of my clothes, and bought a souvenir T-shirt just so that I could wear cotton - I was completely over wearing the quick-dry t-shirts by that stage.

Last edited:
Someone ditches their journal but takes a full sized towel. I take a piece of muslin instead of a towel and take a journal AND watercolours. You'll see there are differing opinions - and soon you'll get to find YOUR preferences!

View attachment 37564View attachment 37563

Oh dear, here we go. Sub 2kg pack weight for warmer months using an Osprey Rev 6 litre running pack.

Roll-on deo (half full), wet wipes, 50ml spf 50 (half full), 16ml toothpaste, folding toothbrush, aluminium tin containing soap block (showering and laundry), phone charger, passport, credential, First aid (bandage, plasters, paracetamol, chlorine dioxide tablets (water purifucation), wound dressing, tape (micropore, good for taping toes), Imodium, ear plugs, toothpicks, Compeed silicone stick (foot care).
Total sundries 470g

Swimming trunks 55g
WarmPeace Hotshirt 155g
Northface shorts 213g
Biwak hiking towel 143g
Silk sleeping liner 119g
Karrimor XS dry bag 50g
Reading glasses 27g
Helly Hansen waterproof jacket 270g
Merino socks 70g
Total gear 1102g

Total carried in pack = 1572g
Plus 2l water in hydration bladder 2000g
Osprey 6 litre Rev 6 Pack weight 400g
Total including pack weight 3972g
Total without water 1972g

Worn: Hat, earbuds, phone, sunglasses, wallet.
Edit: Plus Hotshirt, Northface shorts, merino socks and swimming trunks (set No 2 for Chris Camino's benefit...It's no good/too late now, you already have the image in your mind.)

Not usually a fan of hydration bladders but will be using one on Via de la Plata. In colder months I would dump tha bladder and just use 500ml shop bought water bottle. Without bladder in rucksack there is space for my super light sleeping bag in the hydration bladder pocket.

That's based on 3 caminos, leaving out stuff I have taken in the past but not used etc. A bit extreme but I like this new mini pack as it leaves my lower back free for ventilation.

This is a cut/paste from another old thread for a 2kg minimalist approach.

Edit - Should have added that it depends very much on the season. The above minimalist pack out would be for dryer warmer months. I have gotten away with minimal gear so far on 2 spring (March/April and May) and 1 autumn (fall) (Sept/Oct) caminos - not more than 1 damp day on any of my trips, but my luck can't last! I hope to get away before the end of March (2018) but will take about 4500g or 160 oz not inc water this time because I want to take a heavier sleeping bag and some running gear. The recent polar vortex excursion may have messed with weather patterns that could upset things etc.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just thought I'd follow-up on how I ended up with packing, as I'm arriving in SJPdP tomorrow.

So I didn't end up very ultra-light. I'll call it "semi-light". Including a full 1L bottle of water my pack is 13lbs/6kg, which is ~7% of my body weight. Reasons for the extra weight is that I decided to take an extra pairs each of socks, underwear, and shirt in order to no be so reliant on swapping and washing every day. I also elected to bring my camera, which isn't very big but is definitely non-essential weight. I'm not even sure I'll take many pictures, but I figure if I do I'd rather they be good since I may never do this again.

For anyone curious about the final packing list, here is what is actually going into the pack, i.e. everything I'm bringing that I'm not wearing:

27387925188_6ca5f34c2b_c.jpg

1 - down jacket (MH Ghostwhisper)
2 - hardshell jacket (Arcteryx Gamma LT)
3 - travel towel (PackTowl Luxe 54x25")
4 - poncho (no brand, just a $3 plastic poncho)
5 - buff
6 - camera (Ricoh GR)
7 - plug/charger
8 - down sleeping bag/quilt (Feathered Friends Flicker 35)
9 - 3 pairs merino socks
10 - travel organizer (Eagle Creek; holds socks and underwear)
11 - 2 pairs merino underwear
12 - hiking shorts (brand??, bought at Costco)
13 - 2 merino wool shirts
14 - sketchbook/journal
15 - neck purse (heavy/bulky, but it's a personal item I got in Bolivia and carries the journal well)
16 - brush
17 - pocket knife
18 - various toiletries and foot care items
19 - pilgrim's credential and passport
20 - hat
missing item: I was wearing my non-hiking slipper/shoes, which will go in the pack.

Worn clothes:
- merino shirt, underwear, socks
- hiking pants (OR Equinox Convertible pants)
- long-sleeve pullover (Smartwool 1/4 Zip 150)
- trail runners (Altra Superior 3.5)

The pack is a custom ~30L pack. It is NOT a hiking pack but it's new and I wanted to break it in.

41217568372_372c652934_c.jpg

Anyway, I'm a bit disappointed the Napoleon route is closed, but so goes life. Forecast for my first two days of walking: rain and more rain!

Bueno camino.

Buen camino. Looks like you've done well. I hope your cheapo poncho holds up. It doesn't look like you have any other way to keep your pack dry. You'll be fine.
Don't worry about the Napoleon - after day one you'll likely not think about it again - but do check the day you arrive. It is VERY changable.

Buen camino. Looks like you've done well. I hope your cheapo poncho holds up. It doesn't look like you have any other way to keep your pack dry. You'll be fine.
Don't worry about the Napoleon - after day one you'll likely not think about it again - but do check the day you arrive. It is VERY changable.

Yeah, cheapo indeed. If the weather forecast holds up I'll get to test her limits on Day 1; I have a backup plan if she fails.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looks like you have skinned it down to the minimum. Buen Camino. I think you will do fine. I am close to your numbers but I also think that I will have to slim down my pack. Consider foot care and rucksack cover. Cheers from Canada. We start SJPDP May 8th.

A carabiner and an extra shoelace might be useful for hanging up your backpack/keeping it off the floor.

Perhaps my packlist can help you? Coming from 8,5 kg in 2013 i developed my setup (2014 5.5 kg, 2016 4.5 kg) till now and prepare and optimize it for my 2019 camino in the moment (sorry, the list is only available in german language the moment).

Preparing for 2019 i reached about 3.1 (without) to 3.5 kg (including a heavy handsfree umbrella) in the pack in the moment.

Greetings
DonCamino

Last edited:
DonCamino - that looks like a great list. Any chance that you could translate it into English so that I could evaluate it carefully? thanks!

DonCamino - that looks like a great list. Any chance that you could translate it into English so that I could evaluate it carefully? thanks!

Hello @geographer , but with pleasure!

the yellow markers need my attention to be optimized next.

So for this year's camino that means a
  • backpack weight of 3.200 g
  • plus a hip bag (for the important things like glasses, sunglasses, ligther, knife, smartphone, ...) and a value bag on the belly, together 818 g,
  • means 4.000 g + clothing on the body.
My luxury article is my hands free umbrella (sun / rain) 469 g and my healthy food once a day 1.4 kg cereals 🙂.

It took since 2013s camino to get this setup working fantastic for me.

Have fun and buen camino / bom caminho to all of U!

DonCamino

Attachments

• wgt2019-V4.pdf
    57.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
While I've never walked the Camino (planning on June-July 2019) I have used public showers and know the importance of some kind of shower sandal. I'm sure the proprietors of the Albergues wash the showers but with so much importance on taking care of you feet some cheap shower sandals are a definite necessity, take no chances.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Not commenting on the post, but just saw another geographer on the forum and thought I'd wave a geography wave (sort of like an S wave after an earthquake).

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.