• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice needed for first-time camino

Bianca

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully July 2015!
Hi everyone!

I was thinking about walking the Camino del Norte in July.
However... I just started playing with this idea a few days ago. It's been a dream of mine for years but I've forgotten it for a while, I didn't have money/time etc...
My workplace is closing down end of June. I have no idea what to do next, and a friend suggested I finally realize this dream of mine :)

Which all sounds great, but I can't really prepare at all. I would have two weeks max to buy equipment (walking shoes and a decent backpack), so won't really have time to break in my shoes. I'm not exactly in the best shape either and also overweight. Plus I'll still be working a lot till the end of the month, I could probably make it out in the weekends but there won't really be any opportunities for long hikes on a regular basis.

Do you think it's still possible? I realize it probably won't be easy, but I'm hoping it should get better after the first week or so... Plus, everything I seem to read about this camino makes it sound like most stages are 30+km apart. Is it possible to do it in smaller stages? I can't really see myself walking 35km daily in the beginning. I'm guessing there is always private accommodation to be found somewhere in between the stages?

I know the camino Frances is also an option, but I deal with so many people in my daily job, I'm not sure if I would be able to deal with the seemingly hordes of people there (especially in July I suppose). I would love to have some peace and quiet if possible. Apart from that I've visited the north of Spain before and I love it!

Thanks in advance for your advice. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The only thing I'd worry about would be breaking in your boots/shoes - could you get them now & walk to work (or even wear them at work!) maybe? Or wear them to walk to the shops, half an hour round the block every night - you don't have to be doing major hikes to start to loosen them up.

My husband and I walked the camino Ingles three weeks ago; we decided to do it ten days earlier, following a painful and unexpected bereavement; and our only preparation was that we have dogs that we walk for about an hour every day. I too am overweight, I'm in my fifties and have a dodgy knee, my husband is 60 and has a bad back, and to be honest if I'd thought about it for any more than a week I'd have convinced myself that I could never do it. But I did! And it was - in so many ways - much easier than I expected. The walking wasn't - there were a couple if days when I found the walking HARD! - but the camino carries you along. There is masses of information and support, there are other people doing the same thing, it is extremely well trodden and well signposted, and above all, the spirit of what you are doing really does give you wings when you need them.

If your heart is telling you to do it, then do

PS Most of our stages were about 20 - 25kms, and I found that surprisingly do-able - tired legs and a few blisters, but nothing a good night's rest and a blister plaster couldn't fix. One day was, for logistical reasons, over 30kms long with very few stopping points AND tough hills. That was too much, it was a very hard day and more to the point I paid the price the next day in pain & exhaustion levels. Don't be afraid to break up your camino into shorter stages, or even give yourself occasional rest days if you want to. It's not a race!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Bianca my advice is do it. However in the remaining time try to find your walking distance barriers and extend them if even a little bit, 1 day training is better than none, if you can do it 3 or 4 times great.Do steps if you can, the start to the Norte has a lot of climbing. Soft mid or low jogging shoes will be OK, but they need good or slightly thicker soles because of the amount of asphalt on the Norte. These may need no to little breaking in.
It will be busy in July but more albergues open in July and August, there are 120-130 listed places to stay, the biggest gap is 25km ( Gijon to Aviles), most come in at 13-20km.
If you start in Irun you can get a credencial from the Albergue de Peregrinos.
The route is 830-850km give yourself 35+ days.
Try to get your backpack and gear as light as possible, aim for around 5-6kg at most. This needs a certain mindset, walk with your backpack when training, fill it with what you want to take and then start to get more ruthless with what can come.
Walk little distances at first, ignore the stages given in books or online they are not compulsory, longer distances will happen more naturally later on.

There is good online guides to the route 1) Eroski- Camino del Norte and 2) Gronze.
There is a good cicerone guide which you may be able to buy in bookshops in Irun and the tourist info has a basic but bulky guide to the route. There is some variants in the route be aware of them before you come to them, at the beggining anyway, the 1st one is soon after Irun, my personal advice for this is take the lower route, you will be missing an incredible day on the higher section and everyone you meet will talk about it but you have to be careful in the early days.

Don't worry if you have nerves, people who have done Camino after Camino have them.

And most important have a Buen Camino.

Mike

Go for it, Bianca.
It sounds like you will have plenty of time so you can start slowly with shorter distances and get fit while walking.
The Norte has plenty of various types of accommodations at medium or less distances.
Most walking shoes (not leather) require very little breaking if properly fitted.

Go For It. The Camino is calling!

Bianca: my first Camino 10 years ago started much like yours. I only did Leon to SdlC because of time and I was worried about my ability to walk farther. I hadn't worn a backpack in 20 years and had been sitting at a desk for 10 years. I had a calling to do the Camino and felt I needed to go. I bought everything within 3 weeks. Got my boots and walked around my house for a few days and then spent my first day in Leon "breaking in" my boots;)! Needless to say I basically did not do anything as recommended. Thank goodness I went to a great sporting goods store (REI) and got fitted for my pack and boots by an expert. I had one small blister and no other problems on my Camino and could have easily gone farther if I had the time. It was an amazing experience.
You just put one foot in front of the other and go.... Do listen to your body and start slow if possible ( I did about 20-22 km per day the first time and up to 32km once or twice and I was definitely not in shape). If you choose to wear boots make sure your boots are comfortable and fit a little large to allow for socks and feet swelling. I returned my first pair after walking around my house for a day. If there is any tightness or pinching, especially in the toe box, it will only get worse on the Camino. Since you don't have time to break in your shoes, take moleskin or other preventative foot preparations and take care of any "hotspots" immediately. There are many suggested packing lists on this forum that will help you pack what you need. I say go for it. It is not often that any of us get the time off to do the Camino. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you all so much for your replies!
You've really calmed my nerves and given me the confidence to just go and do it! I think I'm going to buy some shoes tomorrow, once I have them I'll be practically obligated to go! ;)

With regards to guidebooks, how necessary are they? Which one is the best? I'm actually from Belgium and I understand Dutch/french/german/English/can read Spanish reasonably... Just to you know, have some options. :) I seem to read everywhere that the German one is very good?

And a different question because I can't seem to make up my mind, what about the camino Frances? I first dismissed it out of some sort of misguided snootiness (sorry!) but the scenery looks absolutely gorgeous. Also, I've travelled quite a lot in Spain but haven't been to most of the places this camino passes. It also sounds as if it goes less through roads/asphalt? Or is it similar? The amount of people still really puts me off though. Do you still get a chance to be alone here in July? The race for a bed (literally) doesn't sound very appealing either. I'm going to be kind of broke when I return, so would really prefer not to be using private lodgings too often.

I know you've had this question a million times before, and you can't even really answer it, but I'm still hopeful someone is going to make up my mind for me!

The Frances is good, you won't have it to yourself but it is the same for the Norte. Take a roll mat it allows you to sleep on floors when places are packed out and some kind of liner for you as well, hopefully which ever way you go there will be a bed for the night.
If you go the Frances same advice here as well on taking the lower less harder variant on the 1st day, the harder way is beautiful but if you're not fit or done very little walking then it could be a big problem right there and then.
I was given the Conrad Stein Norte book on my 1st Camino, it is perfect for you, it sections are the Albergues and the distances and services to the next one. On the Frances I think Brierley is best, but ignore the recommended Etapas. If you get Conrad Stein they go via Gijon and forget about the Oviedo option, you can pick up info from Gronze on this variant, it will add a day to your Camino.

Either one is very beautiful, if you get a chance sit down and watch YouTube videos on them, they will give you a taste of what the routes are like.

The start of both routes are very close, if you fly you can go to Biarritz/Bayonne to go to either and the same for trains from Paris, you can get a Hendaye ticket for Norte but jump off at Bayonne if you change your mind for the Frances.

Good Luck

I am about to leave for my first camino (alone) on June 9th 2015. I am relatively fit - but sick all week and weekend with a lingering sinus infection that has gone on over a month... so I am worried for the first time about fitness levels..

I have also been going back and forth between the Northern Route or French... I will be flying in from Ireland to Biarritz so I still have room to decide. My thinking has been so similar to Bianca that I decided to write my first post!

My main concern is also about the numbers of people that might be on the Frances versus the Norte at this time in June/July... I fear that the 'stress' of finding lodging for the night will overtake the peace I am looking to find by doing the camino. Another significant question that led me back to the French way was the accessibility of wifi. I unfortunately need to conduct a few skype meetings each week (I am going for 6 weeks) so will need wifi access. I thought that this might be easier to find on the Frances... Is this true? (I know that some people will jump down my throught about needing to leave mobiles and internet behind, but it was the only way I could negotiate taking enough time to do the entire Way ... And, finally, I read in a random thread from a few years ago that the Norte was also more expensive. Is this true? I am sure that these are silly concerns and as with most of life, once the journey begins it will all be taken care of... Yet as my departure date gets closer, I am getting more nervous about this 'impulsive' decision to follow my heart and finally walk alone.... Thanks in advance for any advice and words of wisdom in advice. I havent posted before, but these threads have helped me to make all of preparations so much easier... except for the ultimate decision about whether to do the Norte or Frances Way!!!! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @Kielty , welcome to the forum. We haven't seen any reports of a bed-race yet this year and more and more accommodation opens every year to meet demand. The sensible strategies frequently posted here such as avoiding the classic Brierley staging points will help with that issue. Wi-fi (wee-fee in Spain) is practically ubiquitous along the Frances, perhaps less readily available along the Norte but far from unknown, if you need to be confident of connectivity the Frances may be a safer bet. That said @Kanga is live on the Norte at the moment and doesn't seem to be experiencing any difficulty posting.

As to relative expense: the north coast is a popular holiday destination and costs / availability of non-Albergue accommodation will reflect this in late July and August but you will be home and dry by then.

Buen Camino

Hi @Kielty , welcome to the forum. We haven't seen any reports of a bed-race yet this year and more and more accommodation opens every year to meet demand. The sensible strategies frequently posted here such as avoiding the classic Brierley staging points will help with that issue. Wi-fi (wee-fee in Spain) is practically ubiquitous along the Frances, perhaps less readily available along the Norte but far from unknown, if you need to be confident of connectivity the Frances may be a safer bet. That said @Kanga is live on the Norte at the moment and doesn't seem to be experiencing any difficulty posting.

As to relative expense: the north coast is a popular holiday destination and costs / availability of non-Albergue accommodation will reflect this in late July and August but you will be home and dry by then.

Buen Camino

Wow Tincatinker (nice name) I appreciate your speedy reply and thought-out answer. I really am leaning towards the Frances and since the bed-race is 'not on', and wee-fee is available, I will be confident with that decision and put a halt to my deliberations. It is a bit of a relief to decide!
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am about to leave for my first camino (alone) on June 9th 2015. I am relatively fit - but sick all week and weekend with a lingering sinus infection that has gone on over a month... so I am worried for the first time about fitness levels..
Also suffering from lingering sinusitis for the 1st time in years. Have you tried flushing out your sinus cavities? You can DIY or get a kit from chemist. It's not pleasant - feels like you're drowning at first - but it does seem to help. You want to get rid of it before you start.

Also suffering from lingering sinusitis for the 1st time in years. Have you tried flushing out your sinus cavities? You can DIY or get a kit from chemist. It's not pleasant - feels like you're drowning at first - but it does seem to help. You want to get rid of it before you start.
Thanks for the suggestion Lachance! (I like the picture of the dog :)
Last year the flushing seems to have helped, but this year the flushing hasn't. I will be taking the first stage of this walk a bit more slowly and tenderly than I had planned.... who knows, I may see more because of going slower!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If a boot or shoe is well fitted you shouldn't have to 'break it in'. Just wear it to make sure its comfortable to begin with. If you're buying new, buy trail runners. They give traction yet are sweeter on the feet when walking asphalt. We saw several young fit men carrying their heavy hiking boots while wearing flip flops. Another we met had black toenails and could walk 10 km a day. We did the Primitivo and my daughter wore runners or chacos, and I switched to runners from hikers when we were on asphalt after getting sore toes and a blister from wearing just my hikers that I had used lots on mountain trails before I left. Never had a problem after that. My hikers were great for the mountain paths and mud but weren't necessary.

If a boot or shoe is well fitted you shouldn't have to 'break it in'. Just wear it to make sure its comfortable to begin with

Totally agree.

One thing maybe - buy one size larger than usual. Feet tend to swell on long walks.

Again, thank you for your replies! And Kielty, I know the feeling! :)
I've read all of your answers with much interest. Armed with the advice of knowledgeable people I feel much more able to take this on. ;-)
Am leaning towards the Frances again, I guess I'm not going to be able to decide until a couple of days beforehand...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi!
I'm out of work over a month and thought to myself that Camino has called for me for a several years - and when to go if not now?! I made my decision this Monday and my first camino starts June 22th with plane taking me to Madrid. So I can't give any advice but I can share a little bit what I have done and will be doing next two weeks.

On this Monday I bought the tickets to Spain and back, train tickets to Ponferrada and booked two places where to sleep (in Madrid and in Santiago). What happens between - for the first time in my life, I'm letting it to life ;) Let's see what happens! After all, it's all part of the experience. And believe me, I'm organizer, I like to plan and it comes easy for me - right now I have summer to learn how to let things happen also ;) and, well, to think what I want to do next.

For planning how long will I stay and how many km I will do, I took into consideration that I'm overweight (thankfully lot of this is muscle weight), I go to gym, I swim, I cycle a lot, do garden works, eat quite healthy and I am totally healthy but I don't like to walk because of a knee surgery I had 2013 and it still hurts sometimes, as doctor promised it will. Also there is much warmer and different landscape than in my homecountry, so I decided that it is not a race, this is my camino and so I think there are days that I walk 11 km and then there are days that I will walk 15 km. I'm doing the last 200 km and took myself about 15 days for that, just to make sure I don't too bad for my knee.

I'm thinking about buying walking or hiking poles or one while I'm there - I've read that they help when you have a bad knee, also they supposed to take some of the weight of from shoulders and back and help to keep good posture.

I read and I read and I read and then decided to buy silk liner - in June-July there's gonna be hot (people say), also silk isn't something bed bugs like. And I can always put some clothes on or ask for a planket, if possible. Right now, I'm crossing my fingers that I recieve it before plane departs - ordered it from Vietnam, takes 10-14 days.

On Tuesday I put together what do I need to bring with me and ordered two books from Confraternity of Saint James Ltd - "Camino Lingo: English-Spanish Words and Phrases" and "Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago" by John Brierley. To learn the language and to read about the place I'm staying. Hoping they also will make it before my plane leaves.

And Wednesday a friend lent me her rucksack - it is 50 l, we think. It's a bit much, but I can't afford to buy my own so I decided I must look out for not overpacking it :) and I'll be fine. (Again - crossing my fingers!)
Also, on that day I bought my first hiking shoes - I read that Salomon's are good and there they were, with discount and light, waterproof, just for me! I have worn them in the house and .. well, still planning to go for a walk. Thankfully I have a little bit time but I will do the walks, because I'm going to put my feet in this situation for half a month. And then I went to pharmacy and got everything I need from there. And I ordered Pilgrim Passport also (waiting for that to arrive, again crossing my fingers it will make it :D)

There's still packing to do and stuff do buy - I'll do that next week. Oh, a whistle, they say, is a good thing to wear.
And between everything I'll try to study a little bit of Spanish - common phrases, and there's lots of good sentences in this forum also. Like this one: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/learning-easy-spanish.14029/

It takes time to plan, but I think both, You and me - we'll be allright!

Buen Camino!

Camino Frances, is the most populated by pilgrims and at the same time with most albergues and private accommodation Available , June is not one of the most crowded months.
I would recommend an early start in the morning and stop at your Albergue say, by maximum 14:00 hours, you will avoid high temperatures and available albergues are plenty at this time. 6 to 7 hours of walking/movement , is good for a day depending on your Pace.
Once, in the Albergue and relaxed, evaluate where you could end next day and ask for the recommendation of people from your Albergue, all privetly managed albergues accept reservation.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

However... I just started playing with this idea a few days ago. It's been a dream of mine for years but I've forgotten it for a while, I didn't have money/time etc...
My workplace is closing down end of June. I have no idea what to do next, and a friend suggested I finally realize this dream of mine :)

Which all sounds great, but I can't really prepare at all. I would have two weeks max to buy equipment (walking shoes and a decent backpack), so won't really have time to break in my shoes. I'm not exactly in the best shape either and also overweight. Plus I'll still be working a lot till the end of the month, I could probably make it out in the weekends but there won't really be any opportunities for long hikes on a regular basis.

Do you think it's still possible? I realize it probably won't be easy, but I'm hoping it should get better after the first week or so... Plus, everything I seem to read about this camino makes it sound like most stages are 30+km apart. Is it possible to do it in smaller stages? I can't really see myself walking 35km daily in the beginning. I'm guessing there is always private accommodation to be found somewhere in between the stages?

I know the camino Frances is also an option, but I deal with so many people in my daily job, I'm not sure if I would be able to deal with the seemingly hordes of people there (especially in July I suppose). I would love to have some peace and quiet if possible. Apart from that I've visited the north of Spain before and I love it!

If your heart is speaking to you to do this then follow it... I've heard of several people that weren't physically fit but did it anyway and succeeded...don't think. Just do.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi everyone!

I would strongly suggest that you try to think of all the positive point rather than concentrating on what you can't do and all the possible difficulties. That should be a good start in my own humble opinion. Write a list of all the reasons you want to walk the Camino and the plus points like you CAN get the boots, backpack and other equipment. You HAVE got the time and opportunity. Also, little things, as the old song goes, mean a LOT. Walk, don't take the stairs, walk whenever you can-always. Plan the route with short distances for at least a couple of weeks to build your strength on the Camino and take it easy. It isn't a race so take your time and enjoy it all. You don't need to plan everything-let it happen. There will always be other pilgrims to help out with information and advice for example. Consider which route with a modicum of care-the Norte is a difficult Camino especially if you are unfit-the route has changes of altitude that can be very challenging. Having said that I still believe that if it is taken gently it can be achieved by just about anybody. You could also keep in mind that the Camino isn't there to be easy...nor is it there to be beautiful although it usually is! For most of the Caminos it is possible to break down the distances, more so if you can get a room instead of always being in pilgrim-only accommodation. I use www.gronze.com a LOT. It is in Spanish but even with my very basic Spanish I can use it easily enough. It has maps, altitude charts and accommodation information as well as route info which you could translate using good old Google or just go with the flow. Personally-and let's face it, the Camino is deeply personal-I use the maps, charts and albergue info without the route information. I like to discover as I walk. Many others are firmly attached to their guide books. It is entirely a matter of choice. The Camino will lead you in its own way I have found. Have a wonderful time and buen Camino!

Hi everyone!

This is my first posting on this forum and really just want to share a few suggestions/advice. My friend and I just completed the 3rd stage of the Camino (from Leon to Santiago). We're both in our 60's,(with a few health issues). We had done a reasonable amount of walking/training prior to our walk but nothing major (only managing up to 10kms a day). We managed this section of the Camino in 14 days (walking days that is). We actually managed really well considering we were 'rookies' with no prior experience. BUT what an experience we had ---- brilliant. Our backpacks were approx 6.5 kgs and we carried these every day. We found that there was always little hamlets available to stop and rest, gather our thoughts and chat to others. We managed to walk between 15 and 24kms per day (never dreamed that we would manage to walk this distance but for whatever reason we managed pretty comfortably). I wore my Karrimore sandles 50% of the time and my Merrel walking shoes/trainers. Wore merino socks, and we didnt bother with liner socks. Whenever I got the chance I would stop by a stream and soak my feet in the cool water - oh what joy !!! Staying in the Alburgues en-route was perfect, and we never bothered to pre-book. However, if you do arrive late sometimes there wasnt blankets available. We didnt take a sleeping bag only a silk liner. The silk liner was absolutely perfect and if we didnt have a blanket we just covered ourselves with our poncho - most of the dorms are pretty warm especially if there are a few people, so never really felt cold (and I feel cold quite easily). All in all the shared accommodation was okay and never really experienced queues for showers/toilets. The Camino was BRILLIANT and would highly recommend the experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So I went shopping today (again) and got myself some gear I need but I did hesitate on few things: 1) do I need those special hiking pants or are any kind of shorts well enough?; 2) I've read about "poncho vs big waterbroof coat" but ... how bad is the rain when there is some and would I get by with poncho and waterproof pants? Those coats are quite expensive, poncho 9 eur and coat 45 eur.

So I went shopping today (again) and got myself some gear I need but I did hesitate on few things: 1) do I need those special hiking pants or are any kind of shorts well enough?; 2) I've read about "poncho vs big waterbroof coat" but ... how bad is the rain when there is some and would I get by with poncho and waterproof pants? Those coats are quite expensive, poncho 9 eur and coat 45 eur.

Hola, Liina. For one instant don't think about the Camino as your desired dream but, where is the Camino and when you are going to be there.

You are talking about June, July so be ready for temperatures over 30+. In such a temperature with shorts and T shirt, if you are not native and even if you were it is going to be difficult.
I would recommend light colours, long, split-able and extremely light trousers and shirts. Careful about your head and neck.

Early start and early stop. You can use shorts and tees at the Albergue .
Poncho is ok, call it all in one if possible the most light weight open sided for this time of the year, it will not rain heavy and with side winds so your normal fast drying pants should be fine. You might use only couple of time your poncho at this time of the year.

A very light weight wind breaker should be fine for the evenings and early mornings in the eastern part of the Camino.

Again, if you happen to need something on the Camino you can buy it locally in most villages, they know about the needs on the Camino more than department stores, in any town so you will get good advice. This is better than carrying things that you might not use at all on the way.

When it comes, to pricing and the quality, I would put max on your shoes and socks, next would be the shirts than the trousers. For the neck I am using a light weight cotton cloth that it cost me 1€ in Sunday market!
BTW at this time of the year NO Goretex shoes.

Therefore no worries, you are not going to the end of the world,we have all the amenities and offers on the Camino too.
Hopefully this has been helpful..to you in such a telegraphic mode, and Buen Camino, Brava!
Pepin

Last edited:
Pepin!
So awesome answer and good tips! Thank you so much!
One question more - why not goretex? 'cause... that's what I got and what recommended. Very light, not boots, comfortable. You put "NO" in caps there, I'm scared now :D

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Pepin!
So awesome answer and good tips! Thank you so much!
One question more - why not goretex? 'cause... that's what I got and what recommended. Very light, not boots, comfortable. You put "NO" in caps there, I'm scared now :D

Liina, Goretex shoes are breathable but not as much as none Goretex, you will use Goretex in winter, early spring and late autum here. In summer you are better off without..

Some manufacturers have the same model of shoes with and without Goretex. Now that your shoes are with Goretex, take some spare socks ready so every couple of hours you change your socks and dry your feet due to transpiration.

At this time of the year you might get showers normally in the evenings when you are already at base or very light rain in North that dose not soak.. There are techniques to dry your shoes in extrem cases.

If you do not need for a special reason boots, than shoes are most recommended, Camino is easy walk it is not climbing mountains.

Please do not hesitate to ask further questions if needed.

Buen Camino

Yeah.. Wanted to go to sleep, but all the sleep is gone - thinking about how my feet are hot and blistered. That's not good.
Just read about goretex and thinking about how one should not rush into things. A lesson to learn, oh well :)
I read some reviews also about those shoes I have and some say that they are breathable and ok in hot summer also. But - I don't know how much they used those :) outdoorgearlab.com says: In dry summer conditions, the mesh upper lent breathability and they didn't weigh us down while hiking to the tops of mountains.
And well.. I like mountains, so I probably hike in the mountains in the future too, then they would be good to have.

I also want to bring sandals to wear in the evening or when the walking goes bad. Or maybe I can find someone who wants my almost new Salmon shoes and I can buy something else - I still have a week : )

Hi!
I'm out of work over a month and thought to myself that Camino has called for me for a several years - and when to go if not now?! I made my decision this Monday and my first camino starts June 22th with plane taking me to Madrid. So I can't give any advice but I can share a little bit what I have done and will be doing next two weeks.

On this Monday I bought the tickets to Spain and back, train tickets to Ponferrada and booked two places where to sleep (in Madrid and in Santiago). What happens between - for the first time in my life, I'm letting it to life ;) Let's see what happens! After all, it's all part of the experience. And believe me, I'm organizer, I like to plan and it comes easy for me - right now I have summer to learn how to let things happen also ;) and, well, to think what I want to do next.

For planning how long will I stay and how many km I will do, I took into consideration that I'm overweight (thankfully lot of this is muscle weight), I go to gym, I swim, I cycle a lot, do garden works, eat quite healthy and I am totally healthy but I don't like to walk because of a knee surgery I had 2013 and it still hurts sometimes, as doctor promised it will. Also there is much warmer and different landscape than in my homecountry, so I decided that it is not a race, this is my camino and so I think there are days that I walk 11 km and then there are days that I will walk 15 km. I'm doing the last 200 km and took myself about 15 days for that, just to make sure I don't too bad for my knee.

I'm thinking about buying walking or hiking poles or one while I'm there - I've read that they help when you have a bad knee, also they supposed to take some of the weight of from shoulders and back and help to keep good posture.

I read and I read and I read and then decided to buy silk liner - in June-July there's gonna be hot (people say), also silk isn't something bed bugs like. And I can always put some clothes on or ask for a planket, if possible. Right now, I'm crossing my fingers that I recieve it before plane departs - ordered it from Vietnam, takes 10-14 days.

On Tuesday I put together what do I need to bring with me and ordered two books from Confraternity of Saint James Ltd - "Camino Lingo: English-Spanish Words and Phrases" and "Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago" by John Brierley. To learn the language and to read about the place I'm staying. Hoping they also will make it before my plane leaves.

And Wednesday a friend lent me her rucksack - it is 50 l, we think. It's a bit much, but I can't afford to buy my own so I decided I must look out for not overpacking it :) and I'll be fine. (Again - crossing my fingers!)
Also, on that day I bought my first hiking shoes - I read that Salomon's are good and there they were, with discount and light, waterproof, just for me! I have worn them in the house and .. well, still planning to go for a walk. Thankfully I have a little bit time but I will do the walks, because I'm going to put my feet in this situation for half a month. And then I went to pharmacy and got everything I need from there. And I ordered Pilgrim Passport also (waiting for that to arrive, again crossing my fingers it will make it :D)

There's still packing to do and stuff do buy - I'll do that next week. Oh, a whistle, they say, is a good thing to wear.
And between everything I'll try to study a little bit of Spanish - common phrases, and there's lots of good sentences in this forum also. Like this one: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/learning-easy-spanish.14029/

It takes time to plan, but I think both, You and me - we'll be allright!

Buen Camino!

Liina, hi again. I'v just seen your initial text. Ok, things are easy , you are and will be impressed by many new thing before you get on the way. You will need only first day to adapt yourself to the Camino.

Take it easy, 10 to max 15 Kms for the first few days than every now and than say max 20 k.
Walking poles are recommended, light weight back pack say all included just under 8 kg this way you relief your knees.

If you are taking a 50l pack, it really dose not matter if you do not fill it up with unnecessaries, and fit it properly, do not hang anything on the outside of the pack to avoid axial molest movements.

Liner is more than enough now,

One of beauties of the Camino is speaking to the locals, sometimes difficult if you do not speak the language. BUT no worries El Camino is Universal, you will speak to everyone even if it is with a smile. Feel free to use your Spanish no matter how limited. In the villages locals might not speak English but they will not laugh at your Spanish !!

To avoid worries, walk at the same time as most people do, so you will always have people insight. There are no dangers on Camino except on crossings with traffic.
Enjoy your Camino. You will be surprised how people help each other

Pepin

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yeah.. Wanted to go to sleep, but all the sleep is gone - thinking about how my feet are hot and blistered. That's not good.
Just read about goretex and thinking about how one should not rush into things. A lesson to learn, oh well :)
I read some reviews also about those shoes I have and some say that they are breathable and ok in hot summer also. But - I don't know how much they used those :) outdoorgearlab.com says: In dry summer conditions, the mesh upper lent breathability and they didn't weigh us down while hiking to the tops of mountains.
And well.. I like mountains, so I probably hike in the mountains in the future too, then they would be good to have.

I also want to bring sandals to wear in the evening or when the walking goes bad. Or maybe I can find someone who wants my almost new Salmon shoes and I can buy something else - I still have a week : )

It is too late to change your shoes, if you have already walked in them and are tuned and adapted. Sandals are excellent idea and necessary. Take 3 pairs of socks with cool max fast drying material blister free types you will be alright
Take or by locally blister repair kits!!! Just in case. they are effective.

Buen camino

Liina, hi again. I'v just seen your initial text. Ok, things are easy , you are and will be impressed by many new thing before you get on the way. You will need only first day to adapt yourself to the Camino.

Take it easy, 10 to max 15 Kms for the first few days than every now and than say max 20 k.
Walking poles are recommended, light weight back pack say all included just under 8 kg this way you relief your knees.

If you are taking a 50l pack, it really dose not matter if you do not fill it up with unnecessaries, and fit it properly, do not hang anything on the outside of the pack to avoid axial molest movements.

One of beauties of the Camino is speaking to the locals, sometimes difficult if you do not speak the language. BUT no worries El Camino is Universal, you will speak to everyone even if it is with a smile. Feel free to use your Spanish no matter how limited. In the villages locals might not speak English but they will not laugh at your Spanish !!

To avoid worries, walk at the same time as most people do, so you will always have people insight. There are no dangers on Camino except on crossings with traffic.

Pepin

Pepin

Pepin

I agree with Pepin - you can buy anything at the local shops in towns/villages. I walked 70% of the time in my Karrimore sandles, seemed to manage fine with the odd stone here and there, and getting my feet soaked in lovely cool water whenever possible as my feet tended to get a bit hot in my Merrells. Anything seems to go on the Camino in terms of footwear, clothing etc. My friend and i really didnt have much idea but certainly took advice from this forum which has been a great help. We didnt suffer with blisters or anything because we took it NICE AND EASY and made time to 'smell the roses'. it seems the pilgrims who were suffering with foot problems appeared to be walking too fast AND too much!!! We took it easy, stopping now and then and listening to our how our body was feeling - we never ever pushed to hard; only on one occasion and we should of listened to that 'inner voice'. No blisters or anything ------ just take it easy, its not a race, enjoy the views/scenery, smell the roses. We made it in our time and we were very happy and proud of ourselves. Please try and keep your backpack weight down, we had approx 6kg however we did see lots of people carrying huge back-packs and looked like they were struggling. We had a change of clothing and kept everything to a minimum - if you need anything extra or feeling cold you can always buy clothing in the local supermarkets and very reasonably priced as well. Good luck.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi!
Smell the roses - that's nicely put and that was my plan!
Thank you all very very much! And I hope that Bianca (who started the theme) also got something from that discussion.

So, I talked to the shop where I bought my GTX shoes - and they offered me about 50 euros discount for same model Salomon walking shoes but without gore tex. And help me god, but I went and bought those! For that price and discount I think it was a right thing to do - maybe someday I'll go Camino some other season or start hiking in home : )
Wore them all day today with special hiking socks and they felt comfy!

Thanks again! Already feel like I'm on Camino and good people are around me ;)

Hi!
Smell the roses - that's nicely put and that was my plan!
Thank you all very very much! And I hope that Bianca (who started the theme) also got something from that discussion.

So, I talked to the shop where I bought my GTX shoes - and they offered me about 50 euros discount for same model Salomon walking shoes but without gore tex. And help me god, but I went and bought those! For that price and discount I think it was a right thing to do - maybe someday I'll go Camino some other season or start hiking in home : )
Wore them all day today with special hiking socks and they felt comfy!

Thanks again! Already feel like I'm on Camino and good people are around me ;)

Liina ------ I saw a lot of people wearing Salomon walking shoes obviously a very popular brand. My friend and I were total 'novices' never really trekking/walking to any great degree - but honestly we really managed very well and again, kept focused on 'walk whatever we could that day' never pushing the boundaries too much, we never kept up with others just did our own thing and it worked perfectly !!! Lots and lots of people walking on their own who we always ended up chatting to and oftentimes met them again a few days later. The Camino walk has been wonderful and I've learnt quite a bit about myself - when we arrived in Santiago I had a tummy bug and infact had been very sick for a few days, but I was still determined, I didnt 'want to go home' - it was like reading a good book and not wanting the story to end. You will be fine, soooo many solo travellers/walkers ----- its a wonderful experience. If you need any further tips/advice this forum has it !!! All the very best !

Thank you, Bluffgirl!

There are techniques to dry your shoes in extrem cases.

Would you please share those tips/techniques? :) Or maybe you know a thread on that subject that is already in this forum?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi! Haven't checked this thread in a while, but I just went out to buy my shoes and socks! They feel like heaven right now, wonder what it's going to be like after a few hundred kms!

I'm STILL not sure whether to do Frances or del Norte. The crowds on Frances are REALLY putting me off tbh. But, it's easier (or so I've heard). Also, I have a kind of fear of wide open high spaces, not really ideal, haha. Although it would be the best opportunity to get over it I suppose ;-)

A few specific questions regarding the route and packing.

How important is it to have walking poles on the camino del Norte? Is it really that much more expensive than the Frances? How much does it rain? Are there still lots of walks in nature or is it paved cities all the way?
Would it be best to take shorts or longer pants? I have a North Face rain jacket but it can get quite warm/sweaty on the inside if I wear it without the fleece liner, should I get something else?

I booked a flight to Bilbao already, arriving the 3rd of July. I'd start walking on the 4th. I have to get the train to Madrid from Santiago de Compostela on the 2nd of August. Would it be enough time to walk from Bilbao at a not-too-hardcore pace?

Soooo many questions actually, these are just a few of them, my mind is kind of racing with everything I still have to do and plan! But I booked my flights and got some equipment so there's no turning back now...

wonder what it's going to be like after a few hundred kms!
It is much better to find that out before you start the Camino than after you have started! Take very long walks on successive days before you go (6 to 8 hours). Foot problems come from cumulative effects, not fit. Hours of rubbing are much different than twenty paces in one's living room. The Camino is not a good place for having a first experience with boots. :)

Hi! Haven't checked this thread in a while, but I just went out to buy my shoes and socks! They feel like heaven right now, wonder what it's going to be like after a few hundred kms!

I'm STILL not sure whether to do Frances or del Norte. The crowds on Frances are REALLY putting me off tbh. But, it's easier (or so I've heard). Also, I have a kind of fear of wide open high spaces, not really ideal, haha. Although it would be the best opportunity to get over it I suppose ;-)

A few specific questions regarding the route and packing.

How important is it to have walking poles on the camino del Norte? Is it really that much more expensive than the Frances? How much does it rain? Are there still lots of walks in nature or is it paved cities all the way?
Would it be best to take shorts or longer pants? I have a North Face rain jacket but it can get quite warm/sweaty on the inside if I wear it without the fleece liner, should I get something else?

I booked a flight to Bilbao already, arriving the 3rd of July. I'd start walking on the 4th. I have to get the train to Madrid from Santiago de Compostela on the 2nd of August. Would it be enough time to walk from Bilbao at a not-too-hardcore pace?

Soooo many questions actually, these are just a few of them, my mind is kind of racing with everything I still have to do and plan! But I booked my flights and got some equipment so there's no turning back now...

Bianca:

Walking poles, staff are a personal choice. Some love them other do not. That said, they are nice for balance on slick downhills.

I did not find this route much more expensive than the Frances. You will have to occasionally stay in a hotel. That said, the time of year you walk could make a difference. During peak Summer season prices could be higher based on demand.

Rain, weather in general is a matter of luck (good or bad). My Norte last Spring (April) was rain-less until Galacia. I would suggest you look at averages and use that as a guide.

A lot of the Norte is coastal and along rural roads. This Camino has lots of alternative routes including the E-9 which it intersects frequently. There are several off ocean walks including everything in Galacia where the Norte turns away from the coast. I would check out the Gronze.com and Eroski on line sites to review options. You also have a choice to walk the Primitivo from Villaviciosa.

Shorts or long pants another seasonal question. Many hiking pants are convertible, I would recommend you purchase this type of clothing.

Rain gear again can be seasonal decision. I walk in Spring and have a North face rain Jacket and lightweight REI rain pants. You will perspire in the jacket even though vented. Another option could be a poncho. I do not like them but many do.

That will be plenty of time to walk the Norte.

Ultreya,
Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you, Bluffgirl!

Would you please share those tips/techniques? :) Or maybe you know a thread on that subject that is already in this forum?

Hi Liina,
There are easy solutions to easy problems! Say your shoes get wet, on the way to your Albergue, stop at any bar in any village and ask them for yesterday's newspapers, you will get them for free.
Once you are in your Albergue you can remove the insoles or if they are not that damp leave the in and fill up the shoes with pices of news papers complete . Leave them over night and next day you will have dry shoes and slightly damp papers!
But at the time you are going to be on the Camino you should not expect that much rain to get soaked, ther might be showers, but staying under a shelter for few minutes and they are over. By the way Showers in Spain are kind and polite with Pregrinos, they normally warn you before hand, so you shouldn't worry, watch the sky and weather forecasts.
How are you getting on with your new shoes, slightly lighter and cooler, aren't they?
Buen Camino

Last edited:
Hi, Pepin!
Thanks! Again and again :)
New shoes are awesome! My friends took me to a three-day-trip on two biggest islands of Estonia (everyone in the world laughs right now because they are actually small) and I wore them two days walking in the nature. Weather was beautiful, about 20°C in daytime, and I felt cool breeze going through. And in night feet were warm. Very pleased!

Less than a week to go : )

Hi Liina Made me chuckle about the boot situation not at you but at me as only this week bought myself some lovely wait for it Solomon Gore-Tex walking boots for my camino,o_Oone minute im thinking ill wear my running trainers, the next walking shoes and then I go buy the boots, got a great deal but thinking im going to have hot feet now, atleast good durability and protection and you will be thankful if there is a downpour. Enjoy and wear your new Solomon.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Haha indeed :p
I'll enjoy my GTX Salomon in some other time, but those other light ones - those I will enjoy next week and I want to believe Pepin who promises light showers so I don't worry much.

Ha fair enough, im going to have the hottest feet on the camino now, hey ho can always take them off and do it true pilgrim style bare feet?

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back