• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice needed: go now or wait until I have more time?

Arlene73

Time of past OR future Camino
?
Hello all, I've been feeling the pull to do the camino since my first visit to northern Spain 10 years ago. It has really intensified over the last year and I've been trying to plan a time when I can take a full six weeks and get the most from the experience. All of a sudden, I find myself with 3 weeks off this August and other personal reasons have really got me thinking that I should just go now. That said, with the shorter time frame, I'd probably plan to start in Leon. My question is: for my first camino experience, is it better to wait until I can take more time and start in SJPDP or Pamplona (which might not be for another year or more?) Another factor is that with August just around the corner, I won't really have time for much training... Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello all, I've been feeling the pull to do the camino since my first visit to northern Spain 10 years ago. It has really intensified over the last year and I've been trying to plan a time when I can take a full six weeks and get the most from the experience. All of a sudden, I find myself with 3 weeks off this August and other personal reasons have really got me thinking that I should just go now. That said, with the shorter time frame, I'd probably plan to start in Leon. My question is: for my first camino experience, is it better to wait until I can take more time and start in SJPDP or Pamplona (which might not be for another year or more?) Another factor is that with August just around the corner, I won't really have time for much training... Thanks for any advice you can offer.

You are being called to go on this journey. Just go. You will not regret it, but if you don't go, you will always regret it!

Hi Arlene, I would say go for it, from Leon is it a 2/3 week walk to Santiago. And when you have more time you can come back to the Camino and begin your second journey in Sjpdp. :):);) . I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

now.
3 weeks is more than enough, it's not about walking from France. set shorter stages, specially at the beginning (maybe start at Sahagún, or Burgos), if you think you haven't 'trained enough'. BUEN CAMINO!

Thanks...a bunch of things have come together to make this seem like the right time. I'm a little worried about training time/ breaking in shoes, etc. but I'm definitely inclined to 'seize the day' as you all suggest.
Forget the training, get a backpack, put a pair of shoes you feel well in and book your flight!

3 weeks is enough to start slowly, to reach Santiago, may be even a short visit to Muxia...

If you need anything, Leon, Astoria, Ponferada and... have plenty of shops to refurbish your équipement!

As we say in french: when such a good occasion runs around, catch it by the hairs, so it does not go away... :D

Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

Dear Arlene

I am in the same boat. I've been working like crazy and haven't come to a standstill and something just drove me to get a ticket and land in Spain. Now or never. I have 3 weeks and will hopefully start in San Sebastian. I got my shoes a day before flying out. I firmly reckon that one day is now. ( but that is just me.) This will be my first Camino or part of it and I realised when I landed I am doing it for me and to take it at my own pace. I'm nervous although I've travelled a fair bit but this is something I've never done before. I'm not a walker at all!

Have an amazing time and Then Camino!! :)

Bella

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear Arlene

I am in the same boat. I've been working like crazy and haven't come to a standstill and something just drove me to get a ticket and land in Spain. Now or never. I have 3 weeks and will hopefully start in San Sebastian. I got my shoes a day before flying out. I firmly reckon that one day is now. ( but that is just me.) This will be my first Camino or part of it and I realised when I landed I am doing it for me and to take it at my own pace. I'm nervous although I've travelled a fair bit but this is something I've never done before. I'm not a walker at all!

Have an amazing time and Then Camino!! :)

Bella

Buen Camino

Go now, Arlene! You don't have long to prepare but that's fine - just start off slowly with short days and build up from there. If you don't yet have the shoes you want to walk in get them now and break them in as much as possible before you go, and get properly fitted with a good pack. But definitely do it! It will be great if you can go back for a longer Camino next year - but you never know what might happen and if these 3 weeks have just suddenly materialised, I say go with it!

Buen Camino

@Arlene73

I always think that the two most important things to bring on any Camino is TIME & MONEY. Too many peregrinos are rushed because they don´t have enough time to walk what they wanna walk. And too many peregrinos are on a very tight budget. IMHO I think it´s better to come when one has enough time to walk what they wanna walk and better to come when one has the money needed and can spend without thinking ...... "I´m running low on cash."

The Camino is a life time adventure for most. It´s better to walk it in a relaxed and enjoyable way.

Whatever you decide , do enjoy your walk. :)

Ondo Ibili !

Thanks for presenting the other side of the argument. I see that point too and definitely wouldn't want to feel rushed. (I'm ok with budget.) I figure if rather start in Leon and make sure I have enough time built in to make sure I'm not racing, than to try to squeeze as much distance as possible in the three weeks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree. Start in León and head West in no particular hurry. Enjoy the journey and if you can come back at a later date you can then enjoy that journey too.

Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@Arlene73

I always think that the two most important things to bring on any Camino is TIME & MONEY. Too many peregrinos are rushed because they don´t have enough time to walk what they wanna walk. And too many peregrinos are on a very tight budget. IMHO I think it´s better to come when one has enough time to walk what they wanna walk and better to come when one has the money needed and can spend without thinking ...... "I´m running low on cash."

The Camino is a life time adventure for most. It´s better to walk it in a relaxed and enjoyable way.

Whatever you decide , do enjoy your walk. :)

Ondo Ibili !

Well, that's OK up to a point, but those of us who came to the camino later in life don't have so much time left.:(
Of course the camino will still be there next year, and in future years, but I might not be!! So definitely a case of gathering rosebuds today, despite time and money constraints.......

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would definitely go, I have a month off early 2016 and I am making plans for my camino , but March gone I had a few unexpected days off and decided on very short notice to sample the camino .I just went from SJPDP to Roncesvalles and the Napoleon route was closed due to bad weather but I was told it was clear as far as Orrison so day one I walked to Orrison and back to SJPDP in splendid weather I had the road to myself the whole day stayed overnight in SJPDP then took the Valcarlos route to Roncesvalles stayed overnight then back to SJPDP it was an amazing few days I have fallen in Love with SJPDP best decision I have ever made and can't wait to start out for real next time

Well, that's OK up to a point, but those of us who came to the camino later in life don't have so much time left.:(
Of course the camino will still be there next year, and in future years, but I might not be!! So definitely a case of gathering rosebuds today, despite time and money constraints.......
Absolutely right, Travellingman.
I walked my first camino in 2011 when I was 71, and have walked one each year since then.
I now have pains in both feet - enough to make me limp. They started on May 16th when I was on the lonely Ruta del Ebro. [Camino Diary 5 - on my web site.]
Now they are still painful almost three months later, and I fear that may be my last Camino.
But - hey! God is good! We will wait and see what plans He has for me!
Onwards and upwards - ultreya!

Things have fallen in place for a reason
Time and place are,lined up
Some moments are so fleeting,so beautiful a chance to do..instead of wish.
That regret may rear ugly head if you pass it on.
Good luck!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Go for it! Don't wait. I too had been thinking of doing it for over ten years. A health scare (eye problems) last fall was the kick I needed, to make My Camino happen. I will turn 61 on the Camino in September. So get out there and buy good, good hiking shoes (boots) and start walking asap. The rest will fall into place. Buena suerte!

Being your first camino experience is precisely the reason you should start walking the Camino this year, when you think and feel like doing it in those 3 weeks, before anything else. You could have more time some day or you could not, as you already know - you waited for 10 years to get closer to this experience. Now you are closer than ever and you didn't do much for it to happen. It is your turn to finish the things.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Two words for you: GO NOW.

There is an old saying 'never look a gift horse in the mouth', so seize this opportunity.

Let me wish you a Buen Camino
Rita

how do you know you will have a "later time"??

Go. 3 weeks is actually a long time. Start in SJPP like you want to and walk as far as you can, than bus or train to where you fly back home from. As for training: what do you think the first days are in relation to the upcoming ones! My only issue would be the heat. i would not be able to cope woth it, but if heat is not an issue... Go for it, and finish next year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just a word of caution if you go now. Spain is very hot in August. If you are not used to walking and not from a hot country where you are used to the heat, the Camino can be quite gruelling. The Spaniards walk mostly in August and July and the Camino can be quite crowded. If you do go Buen Camino but be sure to put Vaseline on your feet. And always have plenty of water.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back