• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice needed on Camino ‘organised tours’

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 CF
Err…

I’m asking for advice this time...There have been quite a few threads on organised ‘camino tours’ and I never paid much attention but now I need them I can’t find them!

I walked with a friend this April/May… It didn’t work out. Oh, we got on fine, no problems that side we are very good friends - and still are! - but.. she couldn’t walk after one week. Her ankles, her feet…. Everything hurt! Nightmare. She could barely stand by the time we reached Santo Domingo 😓

I am no doctor but I suspect her pack was too heavy. I can’t understand it because she is much fitter than I am!

But what do I know..

Anyway….

She was very upset at having to give up, she really wanted to walk this Camino.

I’m thinking an ‘organised’ camino might help her to finally reach Santiago, another time.

Her needs? (imo) Pack transfer, walking in company of other people (she won’t consider doing it alone), accommodation booked ahead and ideally a car available should she need it….

A lot to ask I know.

Any suggestions? Many thanks 😎

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Err…

I’m asking for advice this time...There have been quite a few threads on organised ‘camino tours’ and I never paid much attention but now I need them I can’t find them!

I walked with a friend this April/May… It didn’t work out. Oh, we got on fine, no problems that side we are very good friends - and still are! - but.. she couldn’t walk after one week. Her ankles, her feet…. Everything hurt! Nightmare. She could barely stand by the time we reached Santo Domingo 😓

I am no doctor but I suspect her pack was too heavy. I can’t understand it because she is much fitter than I am!

But what do I know..

Anyway….

I’m thinking an ‘organised’ camino might help her to finally reach Santiago, another time.

Her needs? (imo) Pack transfer, walking in company of other people (she won’t consider doing it alone), accommodation booked ahead and ideally a car available should she need it….

A lot to ask I know.

Our own and much loved @Anniesantiago could help perhaps? Or @Elle Bieling?

My Dearest and some close acquaintances speak highly of 'Fresco Tours' if Annie and Ellie are not available for the timing available to your friend.

Everything is available that you inquired about plus meals. (The Dearest prefers being a 'Pampered Pilgrim' in distinct contrast to her knuckledragger of a husband. Oh, sorry...that adjective probably applies to a lot of us here.;))

B

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ah no. You can have your pack transferred ahead each day for €5.00. Its am amazing service and certainly worth a fiver when one is tired. That's one possible answer.

Liam

I have used a couple of firms and they were both great - second was not a UK one so we 'lost' ABTA cover although that didn't then matter. Saga used to do an organised tour but my wife gathered her own 'group' when she mentioned that she wanted to take it on (from Sarria) perhaps that is another way. In Covid times we also booked meals in the evening which saved foraging (which I prefer as its fun!). We used Correos in preference to the offered services which saved a lot. We used Taxis when required, normally when we had overshot or, as I would recommend, when we stayed for more than one night in a hotel/Pension (1 or 2 star) when we could wash our kit. Good luck

Err…

But what do I know..

Anyway….

A lot to ask I know.

Try Iberian Adventures. A superb company based in Spain and know every inch of the Camino. They will always book you in places actually in the Camino unlike some other companies.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Err…

But what do I know..

Anyway….

A lot to ask I know.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Spanishsteps.com has very well supported small group tours, staying in Casa rurales, with gourmet meals and a support vehicle along side for luggage or tired pilgrims. Very expensive but highly recommended from an acquaintance who took one of their tours a few years ago.

Err…

But what do I know..

Anyway….

A lot to ask I know.

I’ve used Camino Ways and Follow the Camino based in Dublin but my favourite was with Spain is more. Reliable, friendly, patient with all my changes and you get a personalised itinerary and some excursions thrown in. There‘s Macs Adventures but I’ve not used them. It’s a good idea to get a quote from several as they vary a bit and also some include HB others just breakfast.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Having used a company called for my first Camino experience would advise against the half board, as it’s nice to have flexibility to chose the time and place where you eat.
I agree with that. We were on an organised trip this year with everything booked but we weren't in a group. We had walking notes and GPX trax to follow. Most evenings were half-board and we would have liked to have had the option to eat out and choose simple menus or tapas. We're now planning next year on our own.

Sounds like there are some excellent "what to do" suggestions here. What I would caution your friend NOT to do is end up with a company that takes you just to the "highlight" spots and then helps you get a compostela despite having done most of it on a luxury bus.

Sounds like there are some excellent "what to do" suggestions here. What I would caution your friend NOT to do is end up with a company that takes you just to the "highlight" spots and then helps you get a compostela despite having done most of it on a luxury bus.
I agree, I don’t think she would like that!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back