• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice needed please, Cea to Lalin

Jason Ablett

Time of past OR future Camino
Ourense to Santiago, August 2017
Hi, we're looking forward to our first camino stage, Ourense to Santiago in August (two adults and 14 year old son).

We have used a third party to book accommodation and to arrange luggage transfers.

The second day (Cea to Lalin) was due to be shortened by a transfer to Oseira Monastery, before walking on to Lalin. This would knock 10km approximately from the days walk. However the agent we used have now advised that this will mean we will not receive our Compostela on reaching Santiago, as the total walk will be only 99km.

I don't have a major problem with this but it will make for a 37km walking day, which feels like quite a lot in one day.

Has anybody walked this stage before? Is it well signposted? We do not have a GPS or small scale maps (are we likely to need one?)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jason.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, sorry, but first of all, ditch your travel agent/per-arranged tour. Unless you have serious health issues or similar, you really don't need them. Just walk from Ourense, get two stamps a day and you will get your Compostela - it really is as easy as that. One foot before the other until you reach Santiago. Buen Camino, SY

Oh, forgot to add, the way is very well marked - no need for GPS/map either. BC SY

PS welcome to the forum ;-)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello - I walked the VdlP last year from Seville and my husband joined me and walked from Ourense. We did the detour to Oseira Monastery and it was an amazing visit and one of the highlights of my walk.

My husband was given a Compostela and wasn't asked about the detour? Although I thought that Ourense was 112km from Santiago and I didnt realise the detour to the monastery was really that much shorter, although I never really gave it any thought before.

The path is well marked and very very pretty. In Cea the diversion is marked and from there it wasn't difficult to find Oseira. Leaving the next day there are arrows ensuring you go the right way.

It's a lovely walk into Santiago... have a great time!

p.s. I agree with @SYates ... there is no need for an agent and the municiple albergues are really very good.

p.p.s here's my blog for that section https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/31/43-were-in-the-book/

Thanks to you both for the advice and the warm welcome to this forum.

I'm not sure if perhaps I was a little vague. The transfer from Cea to the monastery is by taxi, so the total days walking is reduced by 10km. We do this in the morning and then walk the 27km or so to Lalin

It's really reassuring that the route is well marked, I'm quite comfortable getting well and truly lost but it's the first time I've done a walk such as this with my wife and our son. All accommodation is now booked so not options to amend at this stage. Perhaps next time I'll be a little more brave!

Thanks again!

Oh I see... that would make a difference. But you wont be dissappointed with the Monastery... it's amazing! And yes, do be brave next time... we stayed at some wonderful albergues and little guest houses.

have a great walk!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I certainly hope so, thank you! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the coming couple of weeks.

Best regards, Jason.

...The second day (Cea to Lalin) was due to be shortened by a transfer to Oseira Monastery, before walking on to Lalin. This would knock 10km approximately from the days walk. However the agent we used have now advised that this will mean we will not receive our Compostela on reaching Santiago, as the total walk will be only 99km...
Actually the variante through Oseira is approx.4-5km longer than the one through Pinor so I can't see how that shaves off 10km???
And why are you walking to Lalin? It's off route, because it is on Camino de Invierno. Sanabres and Invierno connects in A Laxe: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/cea/lalin

I'm not sure if perhaps I was a little vague. The transfer from Cea to the monastery is by taxi, so the total days walking is reduced by 10km. We do this in the morning and then walk the 27km or so to Lalin
Ah, I see now. Well nobody in Pilgrim Office in Santiago will know that you taxied those 10kms :)

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[...} the agent we used have now advised that this will mean we will not receive our Compostela on reaching Santiago, as the total walk will be only 99km.[...]
I doubt the agent has ever walked any Camino. If he did, his distances are wrong and the information doubtful (to say it diplomatically).:p

A tour agent that goes strict with Compostela rules (and for 1 km!). That's news to me, really.
Well, as for your praiseworthy respect of the rules, I believe the walk by the streets that surrounds the perimeter of the cathedral is around 600 meters. Do it twice, and you are done.:D
Seriously, this will be a problem only if you trusted your agent with picking up your Compostela (some offer -and charge- this service, too).
Thousands of people do this Camino by themselves, every year, without previous knowledge of the country or the language -and they do fine.

Or you get the wrong person at the perg office. Some are very ( cant think of a word safe to use) lol

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked from Ourense last year and I booked accomodation beforehand because I was on my own and wanted to make sure I had somewhere each night. I didn't do the monastery detour mainly because it would have made a long day. I did stay in Lalin but I was picked up at Estacion de Lalin (Lalin station) by a hotel in Lalin and then you can either walk from Lalin or be bought back to where you were picked up. This option was written up in one of the on line guides. I wasn't certain about accomodation at Estacion de Lalin so I opted for a definite booking. I had a rough guide from the internet and the track is well marked. However I do wish I had taken a good map or had google maps as well so I could just have an idea of the area. I did miss a turn after Silleda but I kept on the main road and ended up back on track because I knew the name of my destination. So now all you need to do is look after your feet. And there is plenty of information on foot care on this forum. It is a lovely walk .

Just fire away ;-) Buen Camino, SY
Apologies, it appears that I missed a few additional comments.

We're currently in Cea, we had a great walk today from Ourense. We have accommodation booked in Lalin tomorrow evening and a transfer from Estacion de Lalin.

We plan to leave early and avoid the visit to the monastery.

My question is whether the main Camino route runs from Cea to Estacion de Lalin (via Pinor and Castro Dozon) or via the monastery? I want to ensure the route we take is well marked.

Hope this makes sense :)

The monastery route is off the main, though worth your while, time permitting. I've found in the past that good walkers preferred the monastery route and managed well in time to Lalin.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the advice and apologies for the slow reply - wifi and mobile issues on this trip!

We went straight from Cea to Lalin in the end, it was as a long day but reasonably good progress.

We're due to reach Santiago tomorrow, very happy looking forward to putting my feet up for a few days!

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.