• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice needed please

12MP

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP, Portugués
I have just walked from Sevilla to Santiago (started 6th May) and am now walking South to Porto (I.e. Portugués in reverse). I have got to Valença, but am really not liking the crowds of people on this route. The VdlP was wonderful - particularly the remote deserted earlier stages - where I saw literally no other walkers all day. This is what I want and I am therefore thinking of taking the Camino Torres (in reverse) from Valença to Salamanca. Can someone please send me the most recent GPS tracks or tell me where to get them. I'm assuming there is no published guide for this route? Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

Perhaps I can't help you with everything you need, but I do have the GPS-tracks of the Camino Torres. There are 23 tracks, but I can only attach 10. You'll find the other 13 in coming replies.

And there is a website about the Camino Torres. It's in Spanish, so you might need Google Translate:

Attachments

• torres-01-salamanca-robliza-de-cojos.gpx
    59.5 KB · Views: 36
  • torres-02-robliza-de-cojos-san-munoz.gpx
    20.8 KB · Views: 7
  • torres-03-san-munoz-alba-de-yeltes.gpx
    26.4 KB · Views: 7
  • torres-04-alba-de-yeltes-ciudad-rodrigo.gpx
    29.5 KB · Views: 14
  • torres-05-ciudad-rodrigo-gallegos-de-arganan.gpx
    19.9 KB · Views: 6
  • torres-06-gallegos-de-arganan-almeida.gpx
    42.3 KB · Views: 5
  • torres-07-almeida-pinhel.gpx
    69.3 KB · Views: 8
  • torres-08-pinhel-trancoso.gpx
    93.6 KB · Views: 10
  • torres-09-trancoso-sernancelhe.gpx
    79.3 KB · Views: 6
  • torres-10-sernancelhe-moimenta-da-beira.gpx
    54.6 KB · Views: 6
The next 10 tracks.

Attachments

• torres-11-moimenta-da-beira-lamego.gpx
    67.5 KB · Views: 9
  • torres-12-lamego-mesao-frio.gpx
    89.1 KB · Views: 6
  • torres-13-mesao-frio-amarante.gpx
    80.4 KB · Views: 5
  • torres-15-guimaraes-braga.gpx
    44.9 KB · Views: 5
  • torres-18-rubiaes-tui.gpx
    64.6 KB · Views: 6
  • torres-17-ponte-de-lima-rubiaes.gpx
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
  • torres-16-braga-ponte-de-lima.gpx
    66.6 KB · Views: 3
  • torres-14-amarante-guimaraes.gpx
    77.1 KB · Views: 4
  • torres-19-tui-o-porrinho.gpx
    29.7 KB · Views: 5
  • torres-20-porrino-redondela.gpx
    18.1 KB · Views: 4
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The last 3.

Attachments

• torres-21-redondela-pontevedra.gpx
    30.9 KB · Views: 7
  • torres-22-pontevedra-caldas-de-reis.gpx
    29.6 KB · Views: 5
  • torres-23-caldas-de-reis-a-padron.gpx
    30.5 KB · Views: 10
Thank you very much André. I have been walking 25km to 30km a day on the VdlP and Portugués from Santiago to Valença. Is it realistic to use this same estimate for the Torres? I am reasonably fit.

You should be fine then. When I look at the Torres from Ponte de Lima (the town that connects the Torres with the Camino Portugues) to Salamanca, it can be done in 15 days, with an average daily distance of 27,9 km.

The shortest stage being 19,8 km., the longest 38,8 km. 9 stages of 19,8 to 28,1 km. and 6 stages of 30,0 to 38,8 km.

On the Spanish side (Salamanca-Almeida) you could stay in albergues on 6 stages. Further west: 8 stages only hotels and 1 youth hostel. So the Torres will be a bit more expensive.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is really helpful. I am using maps.me which needs .kmz files to work. Do you have the waypoints in .kmz format, and is there any chance that you could email them to me at s308302@gmail.com
Try to open them with your phone. I'm using Wikiloc and is almost automatic process from this thread to downloaded track. There are also off-line maps available.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Anyway: here is the Camino Torres in three .kmz files. Nr. 1 beginning in Salamanca.

Attachments

• 1_20190617052900-18026-map.kmz
    38.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2_20190617053017-18026-map.kmz
    60.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 3_20190617053112-18026-map.kmz
    19.7 KB · Views: 1
Walking backwards, after Valenca, the number of pilgrims should drop off a lot. This is because Valenca / Tui is analogous to Sarria on the Camino Frances.

As it is the last place with good rail and bus connections to elsewhere in Portugal / Spain on the Camino Portugues, to be eligible for the Compostela (minimum 100 km on an approved route), many pilgrims are now starting here instead of farther to the south on the Camino Portuguese.

After Sarria on the Camino Frances, Valenca/Tui is the most popular starting point for "short walkers," people who walk only 100 km, or as close to that lower limit as they can. I am not being critical. I am merely stating a documented fact.

However, if you do not see this diminution, then by all means change your route, as discussed above.

Hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I downloaded from here directly into Maps.me on an iPad. Worked fine. :

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...racks-of-all-spanish-caminos-in-one-file.341/

The map was very accurate. The only potential deviation I know of is between Peso de Regua and Lamego where I believe a landowner dispute has blocked the path through Vldigem as shown on the map. You can get around the problem by following the Camino Portuguese Interior route.

Is it possible that Mesao Frio and Amarante are in the wrong order on your spreadsheet? After Guimaraes the next town is Mesao Frio not Amarante - but maybe I’m wrong.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is it possible that Mesao Frio and Amarante are in the wrong order on your spreadsheet? After Guimaraes the next town is Mesao Frio not Amarante - but maybe I’m wrong.

I'm sorry, I'm right.😉

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am about three hours out of Amerante and so far am not impressed with this Camino. It is almost non-stop walking on roads, lots of traffic, and not at all relaxing like the VdlP was. Does it get better soon? I am not going to carry on to Salamanca if it continues like this - it’s just not very enjoyable.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Because you're walking it from west to east: it will get better when you get closer to Spain. If you look at the track on Wikiloc, you'll see that from Trancoso until Salamanca there'll be a great deal of farm roads/gravel roads. But by then you'll already will have walked 225 km., with another 200 km. to go.

Until Trancoso there will unfortunately be a fair amount of asphalt roads. But please, check it out yourself:

I am about three hours out of Amerante and so far am not impressed with this Camino. It is almost non-stop walking on roads, lots of traffic, and not at all relaxing like the VdlP was. Does it get better soon? I am not going to carry on to Salamanca if it continues like this - it’s just not very enjoyable.
I walked from Salamanca in May. The section before the Douro is through much less densely populated regions. There is quite a lot of road walking but none on busy roads. I would definitely recommend persevering.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back