• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice needed- re arrival plans

GWNN

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 French way
After all my reserch and trialing of clothing and equipment- after months of training- I finally thought I was fully prepared and ready for my journey - but have hit a small hurdle I need some advice and opinions on- because quite frankly I'm exhusted and don't want to google anymore- so here is my third world delema- I fly in to Barcelona at 1.30pm on 1/06 was planing to go to Pampalona for the night by train or bus then make my way to SPDP the following day to start my journey on the 3/06. Both train and bus leave Sants at 3.30pm- it takes appox 20min to get from the airport to Sants- does anyone know if 2 hours is giving myself enough time? Or should I stay the night in Barcelona them make my way to SPDP the next day? And from Pampolona what is the recommended way to get to SPDP? Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree 100% about taking it easy the first couple of nights.

However if you really want to get to Pamplona directly after arriving in Spain: no, you will not make the 15h30 train (unless you got very lucky with a perfectly on-time flight, queue-less passport control, super-speed luggage retrieval, etc), however there are later trains Barcelona-Pamplona on 1 June (17h00 and 18h40 respectively).

As for Pamplona-SJPP, there are buses at 10h00, 14h30 and 17h30 every day (trip takes 1h45 and costs €22). You can check for times and buy tickets on the Alsa site: https://www.alsa.es/en/home

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How about planning to catch the 1700 train and ... change your plan if you get to Sants in time to get the 1530.

You might make it but it means everything goes like clockwork and Murphy's law applies. I would try to do it but I wouldn't buy tickets in advance for it.

Planes usually count arrival as the moment they touch the runway.

As a rule of thumb it usually takes 20 - 30 minutes to get from your seat to the exit door of any airport. And that doesn't include the plane getting from the runway to the terminal building

Customs is a mugs game ... it varies depending on how many planes arrive at the same time

The Rodalies train from the Airport to Sants takes 20 minutes ... and it runs every 30 minutes ... so your time estimate has to allow for the wait. Are you arriving at terminal 2?

You might consider the Metro. Take Line 9 to Torrasa and Line 1 to Placa Sants. Metro leaves from both terminals.

Rodalies and Metro are different systems.

Aena Barcelona Airport
http://www.aena.es/en/barcelona-airport/index.html

Rodalies train from Airport to Sants
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/barcelona/

CONDA (ALSA) bus from Pamplona bus station to SJPdP 3 times daily on 1 June. Jan put up the timings.

ALSA (Bus colours will likely be CONDA)
https://www.alsa.es/en/home

Note that ALSA also provides bus service from Barcelona Estacio Nord to Zaragosa and Zaragosa to Pamplona as two tickets. They operate more frequently than Monbus does. ALSA also allows the option of Renfe train from Barcelona to Zaragosa and bus from Zaragosa to Pamplona.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm exhausted and don't want to google anymore
Googling will not help you determine if you will make a tight connection, because of the many unknowns.

I agree with the advice to stay flexible, and get the first train that is available when you arrive at the station. Don't add to your stress by rushing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After all my reserch and trialing of clothing and equipment- after months of training- I finally thought I was fully prepared and ready for my journey - but have hit a small hurdle I need some advice and opinions on- because quite frankly I'm exhusted and don't want to google anymore- so here is my third world delema- I fly in to Barcelona at 1.30pm on 1/06 was planing to go to Pampalona for the night by train or bus then make my way to SPDP the following day to start my journey on the 3/06. Both train and bus leave Sants at 3.30pm- it takes appox 20min to get from the airport to Sants- does anyone know if 2 hours is giving myself enough time? Or should I stay the night in Barcelona them make my way to SPDP the next day? And from Pampolona what is the recommended way to get to SPDP? Thanks

You'll see Pamplona while on the Camino, so I would spend a nice overnight in Barcelona taking in the sights and great foods, then on to SPDP the next day.

How about planning to catch the 1700 train and ... change your plan if you get to Sants in time to get the 1530.

You might make it but it means everything goes like clockwork and Murphy's law applies. I would try to do it but I wouldn't buy tickets in advance for it.

Planes usually count arrival as the moment they touch the runway.

As a rule of thumb it usually takes 20 - 30 minutes to get from your seat to the exit door of any airport. And that doesn't include the plane getting from the runway to the terminal building

Customs is a mugs game ... it varies depending on how many planes arrive at the same time

The Rodalies train from the Airport to Sants takes 20 minutes ... and it runs every 30 minutes ... so your time estimate has to allow for the wait. Are you arriving at terminal 2?

You might consider the Metro. Take Line 9 to Torrasa and Line 1 to Placa Sants. Metro leaves from both terminals.

Rodalies and Metro are different systems.

Aena Barcelona Airport
http://www.aena.es/en/barcelona-airport/index.html

Rodalies train from Airport to Sants
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/barcelona/

CONDA (ALSA) bus from Pamplona bus station to SJPdP 3 times daily on 1 June. Jan put up the timings.

ALSA (Bus colours will likely be CONDA)
https://www.alsa.es/en/home

Note that ALSA also provides bus service from Barcelona Estacio Nord to Zaragosa and Zaragosa to Pamplona as two tickets. They operate more frequently than Monbus does. ALSA also allows the option of Renfe train from Barcelona to Zaragosa and bus from Zaragosa to Pamplona.

Time is of an essence and I've have already been to Barcelona-other wise yes I would spend a night or 2 in Barcelona-I think the advice of not pre- booking ticket will work and the 5 o'clock train would also work getting me in at a reasonable time- however my time table says the train leaves at 3.30pm then 6.30pm - lol going back to Google- and or hope for a blah blah car. Thanks all - yes time to stop stresses things will sort themselves out - and if not its all part of the journey.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Time is of an essence and I've have already been to Barcelona-other wise yes I would spend a night or 2 in Barcelona-I think the advice of not pre- booking ticket will work and the 5 o'clock train would also work getting me in at a reasonable time- however my time table says the train leaves at 3.30pm then 6.30pm - lol going back to Google- and or hope for a blah blah car. Thanks all - yes time to stop stresses things will sort themselves out - and if not its all part of the journey.

I get 1530, 1700, 1840 departures for 1 June 2017.

The Renfe schedule for all of its trains looks as if its being updated for summer ... which might account for the discrepancy.

Another alternative to consider is flying from Barcelona to San Sebastian EAS. The EAS airport is 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye. There are SNCF trains from Hendaye to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPdP.

Are you looking on the Renfe site? http://www.renfe.com

Just make sure you put in the 'Origen' as BARCELONA (TODAS), the 'Destino' as PAMPLONA/IRUNA, and the 'Salida' as 1 June. There is definitely a 17h00 option.

Are you looking on the Renfe site? http://www.renfe.com

Just make sure you put in the 'Origen' as BARCELONA (TODAS), the 'Destino' as PAMPLONA/IRUNA, and the 'Salida' as 1 June. There is definitely a 17h00 option.
Thanks JanD the English sites weren't showing the 5pm departure - happy feet

GWNN. I see that you are from Victoria, which means a long flying time from either Canada or Australia, and it's consequential jet lag. If you arrive on 1 June, and immediately start travelling to St Jean on that day or 2 June, you will feel like death warmed up if you start walking on 3 June. I strongly advise that you have a rest day, maybe at Pamplona or preferably at St Jean. When I go from NSW Australia it is a 26 hour flight (+ train and bus from Paris) and I have a rest day in St Jean, which is a beautiful and interesting little town. Have a long sleep and by then almost all the pilgrims will have left and you will have the town to wander around and eat lots of wonderful food. It seems to me you have planned to within an inch of your life, so relax. Finally I suggest that you do not walk the stages and stay at albergues between the stages. Take your time, relax and enjoy your Camino.
Buen Camino

GWNN. I see that you are from Victoria, which means a long flying time from either Canada or Australia, and it's consequential jet lag. If you arrive on 1 June, and immediately start travelling to St Jean on that day or 2 June, you will feel like death warmed up if you start walking on 3 June. I strongly advise that you have a rest day, maybe at Pamplona or preferably at St Jean. When I go from NSW Australia it is a 26 hour flight (+ train and bus from Paris) and I have a rest day in St Jean, which is a beautiful and interesting little town. Have a long sleep and by then almost all the pilgrims will have left and you will have the town to wander around and eat lots of wonderful food. It seems to me you have planned to within an inch of your life, so relax. Finally I suggest that you do not walk the stages and stay at albergues between the stages. Take your time, relax and enjoy your Camino.
Buen Camino
Yes that's me everything is planed and researched- sigh not having a set plan on the Camino will do me well- I plan to let go of the control freak that I am- David my rest day will be Friday- I have traveled many times overseas and find that I like to hit the ground running- my jet lag generally knocks me out on the return home.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And from Pampolona what is the recommended way to get to SPDP?
One way is to take a bus. Currently there are ones leaving at 14:30 and 17:30 but I think that on June 1 there will be another leaving at 10 AM.

The bus service between Pamplona to St. Jean Pied de Port is proved by CONDA, a bus company serving Navarra. CONDA is partially owned by ALSA, a larger Spanish bus company. The CONDA schedules are incorporated into the ALSA website and CONDA tickets can be bought online ahead of time from the ALSA website as well. The bus fare will be about 25€. When using the ALSA website to find transportation to St. Jean Pied de Port you must spell out St. in full as Saint or the town will not be found. The ALSA website in English is at URL https://www.alsa.es/en/

You can also take a taxi from Pamplona to Roncevalles or St. Jean Pied de Port. Expect a fare of about 100+ euros to get to SJPdP. Here is one taxi company, Teletaxi San Fermín, that caters to pilgrims by allowing signups to share a taxi:
http://www.taxipamplona.com/en/comparte.php

Last edited:

Hola, I arrive in Pamplona via Madrid on 1/06 (trying to get used to writing the date like this. Still looks like Jan. 6 to me :D.) I have reservations in Pamplona to spend the night. Will take a taxi from the airport into Pamplona. On 2/06 I have a reservation on an Alsa bus leaving Pamplona at 10a headed to St. Jean Pied de Port - cost 22 euro. Will spend the night in SJPD as well, visit the Pilgrim's office, buy some walking sticks, see the town, then start out on 3/06. Don't know if any of this helps you or not, but just wanted to say perhaps we will run into each other on our journey.

Buen Camino,
Bonnie

Forgot to add that my reservation through Alsa says "ticket sold on behalf of CONDA".

I have reservations in Pamplona to spend the night. Will take a taxi from the airport into Pamplona. On 2/06 I have a reservation on an Alsa bus leaving Pamplona at 10a headed to St. Jean Pied de Port - cost 22 euro. Will spend the night in SJPD as well, visit the Pilgrim's office, buy some walking sticks, see the town, then start out on 3/06.
Perhaps you could check out the shop Caminoteca near Pamplona's cathedral for sticks. If they don't have what you want then shop in SJPdP.

Hola, I arrive in Pamplona via Madrid on 1/06 (trying to get used to writing the date like this. Still looks like Jan. 6 to me :D.) I have reservations in Pamplona to spend the night. Will take a taxi from the airport into Pamplona. On 2/06 I have a reservation on an Alsa bus leaving Pamplona at 10a headed to St. Jean Pied de Port - cost 22 euro. Will spend the night in SJPD as well, visit the Pilgrim's office, buy some walking sticks, see the town, then start out on 3/06. Don't know if any of this helps you or not, but just wanted to say perhaps we will run into each other on our journey.

Buen Camino,
Bonnie

Forgot to add that my reservation through Alsa says "ticket sold on behalf of CONDA".
Hola Bonnie
No doubt our paths will cross I will look out for you on the early bus- I will have the Australian Camino patch on my black bag. The final preparation is all coming together. Thank you all for advice and thank you for this forum.
Boun Camino to me,Bonnie and all the others.
Cheers Tiz

Perhaps you could check out the shop Caminoteca near Pamplona's cathedral for sticks. If they don't have what you want then shop in SJPdP.

Great idea. If I get a chance I will take a look. I honestly don't know what I want. I use borrowed ones here at home. They are not the most expensive made but serve my purpose here. Taking the language barrier into consideration, I'll probably ask some advice before purchasing :rolleyes:. Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back