• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice of those who have walked May/June

Anton

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello my fellow peregrinos,
I walked the CF from SJPDP to Finisterre in September of 2015. My fiancé and I hiked Porto to Santiago last September. We are planning to do the first 3 weeks of the CF next mid-May into June and since I have no experience with weather for that time of year I wondered if anyone who has walked during that timeframe could give us an idea of weather conditions (of course understanding that every year is different).
Blessings for any and all info.
Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Every year is so different at this time of year that it's almost useless to try and predict. You could have 38 degrees, you could have 10. You're better off just checking your short-range forecast closer to the date. Sorry!

I walked the camino in September 2012 and May 2015 and found the weather to be similar. You may get more rain in May/June. The days are much longer and it may start off colder in the mornings, so you need to be prepared for cool rainy days, and possibly cold in the mornings, but also be ready for warm to hot days. This probably isn't very helpful...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you very much, CdnDreamer! I know it’s an awfully general question, but the cumulative insight from multiple folks is helpful so I’m very thankful for your assistance .

We had all kinds of weather that time of year - from hot, sunny days to cold, driving rain and hail. I brought layers - zip-off hiking pants, a couple t-shirts, long-sleeved running shirt, fleece, hooded rain/wind jacket. I also had a light poncho for when the rain was particularly heavy and the rain jacket and pack cover weren't enough.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We had all kinds of weather that time of year - from hot, sunny days to cold, driving rain and hail. I brought layers - zip-off hiking pants, a couple t-shirts, long-sleeved running shirt, fleece, hooded rain/wind jacket. I also had a light poncho for when the rain was particularly heavy and the rain jacket and pack cover weren't enough.
Exactly. I wasn't making those temperatures up when I said between 10 and 38. They were real temperatures from my May / June 2017 Camino. Some people leaving a week or two earlier than me even saw zero degrees in some places!

Basically you need three-season clothing, so take lots of adaptable layers and convertable hiking trousers!

We started with 11 degrees in Roncesvalles and 14 days later we arrived at 2 pm at 37 degrees. So best would be in my opinion the onion-look. Zipper trousers, different layers a convertible buff. Most helpful was my Euro Schirm. I used on hard rainy days and it was lifesaving in the hot sun.

Regarding rain, you'll most likely find it is all or nothing. You may only have rain 10% of the time you're hiking, but that 10% it will totally bucket down. Suggest having a good-fitting poncho for the downpours and a light rain-jacket for the rest of the time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the CF from SJPDP to Finisterre in September of 2015. My fiancé and I hiked Porto to Santiago last September. We are planning to do the first 3 weeks of the CF next mid-May into June and since I have no experience with weather for that time of year I wondered if anyone who has walked during that timeframe could give us an idea of weather conditions (of course understanding that every year is different).
Buen Camino!

Hello Anton,

As you know, it's tricky to speak about weather, so I'll confine my reply to actual experience.

I've started from StJPDP threes times in mid-May, not every time straight through to SDC though.

I have walked more routes than the Frances, however the Frances has been the one with most rain, especially when I reached Galicia.

My experience has mainly been (during mid-May to end June), rain, mist and cool mornings to hot days between StJPDP to Burgos.

Ice cold mornings on the Meseta with very hot afternoons.

From Leon onwards until entering Galicia variable weather from hot to scorching.

In Galicia, rain in the morning, sunny afternoons and wet nights.

Not sure if this helps my friend, I'm simply trying to help you and others.

Buen (fair weather finding) Camino

This is excellent info JohnMcM!!! I am extremely grateful for an accounting of your experiences. We will only be going to Leon, so this helps inform our packing.

Make sure you have layers you can put on or take off according to the temperature. Have a search on the forum for ‘packing lists’. Plenty of info. available from ‘seasoned’ camino-ers.

Apart from mid-winter, the clothes you need are always the same. You also need some rain protection, whatever season you walk in.

Sorry to all the others but the only recent one I can remember is this https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-all-season-packing-list.59429/#post-691380

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walked SDC to Muxia a few years ago end June, bloody hot, not a drop of rain.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Buen Camino!
It should grow warmer each day. Light clothes and a fleece jacket for when it may be needed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anton: I did the Frances in 2017 during this time frame. In fact, on this date (May 7), I was on the trail from Ages to Castanares. Despite your great gear, you will get hot. You will get cold. You will get wet. Really wet. The wind will scream in your face. You won't believe it could be sleeting on the Meseta. Your toes will be nearly numb. You will walk in fog for hours.The bottoms of your shoes will nearly melt into the pavement—with you in them. You will wonder if your shoes and socks will dry out by tomorrow morning. And, you will sporadically have perfect weather which will cause you to question what you did overnight to, once again, have a positive balance in your Karma account. Cherish Mother Nature and all her whims; it's going to be great!

Thank you, John...that’s about the most outstanding accounting of a Camino experience yet. Succinct yet so much info.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Anton,

I walked from SJPP to SdC in 2017 departing May 18 and arriving on June 22. The day I started it snowed/sleeted and the temps started around 15C and dipped to near 3 near the pass. Very warm and dry most of the way after Pamplona until Villafranca del Bierzo where it was 40C that day. It finally turned cool, wet and very windy in Finisterre. I’m glad I was prepared for it all, right gear, right mindset. I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buen Camino!
We walked from SJPP leaving 5 May 18. We had no rain to SdC however very cold mornings lots of days no more than 14c

Weather is always variable. I walked from SJPP from 25th may in 2015. Warm to hot every day. I did not even carry a sleeping-bag. One wet day for the entire walk. As others say, their experience in other years has been entirely different.

Buen Camino!
Flip a coin. 2 years, weather was great. Last year terrible.

I walked the month of June in 2016 and didn't get rained on once. Last year it rained everyday in early June for almost 2 weeks--not downpours but enough to require rain gear for a few hours. But the locals I met thought that that persistent June rain was an anomaly. Overall, and I know June doesn't score very high in the preferred month poll, but I loved it. Everything was lush and green and the best part, the days just kept getting longer with it still light outside at 22:30. As to the heat, on both of those there were a couple 90 degree F days.

I hiked SJPDP to Santiago last year, 22 May to 25 June, and had rain every few days over the first couple of weeks, and a couple times I was wet nearly to the skin. Later, the Ponferrada to Santiago stretch had several days in the 90 degree F range. Nothing stopped my daily plans, and you adjust to keeping rain gear or extra water handy. And to beat the heat you can hit the trail early. Enjoy.

I walked the month of June in 2016 and didn't get rained on once. Last year it rained everyday in early June for almost 2 weeks--not downpours but enough to require rain gear for a few hours. But the locals I met thought that that persistent June rain was an anomaly. Overall, and I know June doesn't score very high in the preferred month poll, but I loved it. Everything was lush and green and the best part, the days just kept getting longer with it still light outside at 22:30. As to the heat, on both of those there were a couple 90 degree F days.

We walked in June 2016 also - arrived in Santiago on or about June 20th. We had plenty of rain from about O'Cebreiro on, but I have talked to people walking a week behind us, and they had this magnificent bubble of perfectly warm, dry weather. You must have lucked into that wonderful weather bubble that year. I liked June a lot too though - lots of wild flowers and greenery, longer days, no late snow in the mountains to deal with.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
2013 near end of May did the Route Napoleon, sub zero temperatures after Orisson and less than 50 metres visibility. 2015 near end of April, sunshine and heat all the way to Pamplona - you roll the dice and the weather Gods laugh at our plans.

I walked this route beginning May 16, 2015. I bought a rain poncho in St. Jean Pied de Port and only used it once, but was very glad I had it! I guess I lucked out, because I only had ONE day of heavy rain: the day I crossed the Pyrenees. Like everyone has said here, layers are your best bet. I'd add that it's important to be careful of synthetic trousers/shorts on the really hot days, as that can lead to a heat rash on your skin. Better to have something loose or made of natural fibers for those days. Most days were cool in the mornings and warm/hot in the afternoons. Buen Camino!

hubby and I walked May-June 2016 and had near perfect weather with only a few days of rain but a group we knew walking 5-7 days ahead of us had dreadful weather conditions so it is very hit and miss. I will say thought that the scenery is beautiful, green verdant pastures and the wild flowers are stunning. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen Camino!

Hello. This is a great time to go! I walked my CF in 2017, leaving SJPDP on May 5th. I caught all kinds of weather in that time frame-- from rain, to a heat wave in Galicia-- but most days were quite pleasant. Beyond that, walking this time of year I saw everything in it's spring glory! A friend of mine walked the previous Sept/Oct. Several times I posted photos like this one on FB, and she commented "Looks beautiful. I remember the same spot, but the colors were so different" Have a wonderful walk!

Attachments

• 20170512_115721_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20170512_115721_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20170512_173627_Richtone(HDR)-01.jpg
    20170512_173627_Richtone(HDR)-01.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 8
Last year (mostly June) 2-3 days of rain. One week of v hot weather (32-35C by 1pm) and several days with storms and v heavy showers late pm.

In spring you will get cold, you will get hot, you will get wet! I am currently walking the CF and had all 3. You can only really follow the forecast one day ahead. We started St Jean 24th April, snow pockets over the pass 60 MPH winds (they closed the pass) 3 days later in Pampalona we were walking in T-Shirt and shorts. 33C in the sun! Next had major thunderstorms like a bucket of water over your head. Once things warm up when you get to Burgos you could post warm things ahead but you are taking a risk. In short I have used everything I have on different days. It is no fun and dangerous being cold and you need to stay dry. Shorts you can buy anywhere. Don’t take too much you only need one waterproof and one warm garment but you will need it. Hope that helps!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with H. Richards. Every year is so different at that particular time of year that it's impossible to try to predict. I started out the first week of May and had absolutely gorgeous weather, perfect temperatures to walk in (60's F - 15C) until after Burgos and then we had some downpours now and then, especially in Galicia where it often rains. Usually mornings were cool and crisp and later in the day temperatures were very comfortable. However... I have heard it can go any way! Snow, hail, heat waves... expect everything and anything in between. Lol. I would suggest to bring multiple layers, a good impermeable raincoat or poncho and possibly a pair of rain pants that you can easily take on or over whatever you're wearing because it can get pretty muddy - although not a necessity. It's just a matter of preference.

Walked SJPP to Leon starting June 1. Sunshine and warm and dry every day, except for 1 day of cloudiness and drizzle in Burgos. Meseta was very warm. Walked Leon to Santiago the next year, 3 weeks earlier, to avoid the hot weather. Was sunny and warm every day, except for the hike up to O'cebreio, when it was cloudy, foggy and a little drizzle. So, weather can be very variable, year to year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello. This is a great time to go! I walked my CF in 2017, leaving SJPDP on May 5th. I caught all kinds of weather in that time frame-- from rain, to a heat wave in Galicia-- but most days were quite pleasant. Beyond that, walking this time of year I saw everything in it's spring glory! A friend of mine walked the previous Sept/Oct. Several times I posted photos like this one on FB, and she commented "Looks beautiful. I remember the same spot, but the colors were so different" Have a wonderful walk!
Joe, I just wanted to say that I'm so pleased you did the walk as I remember back in 2017 you were musing about it but then I lost touch on your progress. Congratulations on achieving it because I know you had some trepidations but have proven to yourself that you can overcome any obstacle.

Walked SJPdP to Santiago starting May 25 last year, 2018. Only walked in shorts, as my legs don't tend to get cold. Only walked in short sleeved shirts to avoid needing to change. Cool mornings I started out with arm warmers (can be bought in any running or cycling store, which were usually pulled off within 1/2 hour, and tied to my pack strap--again no need to stop and change. Not much rain but a poncho that i kept tucked in a strap on my pack could be unfurled and thrown over me and my pack in seconds. Got into days where it was 39 by noon. Buen Camino. May the weather be with you!

Very helpful info, I leave for Camino this Saturday June 1 and will pick up in Burgos, seems the weather report showing 90 degrees next Tuesday so will adjust my pack with less but more well thought out gear to accommodate for more water.
Thanks for the input
Buen Camino

€46,-
Buen Camino!

Hi I have walked this time of year over last two years and returning on the 31st of May for 16 days.
In my experiance, early mornings can be cold, but mid mornings soon warm up and afternoons can be very hot, thats the time to have lunch, a bit of shade and a cold beer...only ever had one day of rain in last two years..cant wait to get back this year .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked May/June 2018 (started 2 May from SJPDP). The weather was fine, warmer in the beginning and then the last two weeks it rained every day. So who knows what it will be like in 2020, but I plan on rewalking again May/June.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the CF in 2016 during May/June. I blogged everyday from the Camino if you are interested

> 2016 SJPdP to Santiago

Hopefully the pictures should give you an idea of the weather and conditions. I can barely recall it raining at all or never being too hot! The only time I can recall precipitation was a certain night in June, after the UK referendum vote 😢

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back