• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on Abbreviated Coastal CP

NamaMama

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2018)
My husband and I are going to be Hospitaler@s in Ponferrada in mid September. Prior to this, we are going to walk part of the coastal Portuguese route to experience the route and also to remind ourselves of what it is to be a pilgrim.

Full disclosure, we have only completed research on the internet and read previous posts on Ivar. We are currently away from home for a period of time. We will purchase the Brierley book upon our return.

We plan to start our abbreviated CP in Porto. I am thinking that we will walk to Vigo. From there we will take a bus to Ponferrada. Will seven days be adequate to walk from Porto to Vigo? One website indicated the following for the start in Porto: Today you should take the Metro to Matosinhos to avoid the outskirts of Porto and reach the coast to start your Camino walk, this will also make your daily KM 28. Get off at the ‘Mercado’ stop. This seems like a good idea to me. I was a “purist pilgrim” during our 2018 CF. I had to walk every step. This walk is different.

Thank you in advance for your input.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Everyone’s mileage varies, but seven days should be enough for Porto-Vigo, especially if you start by taking the metro but even if you don’t. These were my stages and accommodation last August:

Day 1: Porto - Vila Chã (26km) - Café Sandra (private room, €30)

Day 2: Vila Chã - Esposende (31.5km) - Eskama hostel (private room, €40)

Day 3: Esposende - VdC (25.1km) - Alex Point (private room, €42)

Day 4: VdC to Caminha (26.8km) - Bom Caminha albergue (private room, €45)

Day 5: Caminha to Oia (16.4km) - LaCala Inn (albergue dormitory, €20)

Day 6: Oia to Baiona (17.9km) - Estelo do Mar (albergue domitory, €16)

Day 7: Baiona to Vigo (25.3km) littoral - Pension Buenos Aires (private room, €45)

Today you should take the Metro to Matosinhos to avoid the outskirts of Porto and reach the coast to start your Camino walk, this will also make your daily KM 28. Get off at the ‘Mercado’ stop. This seems like a good idea to me. I was a “purist pilgrim” during our 2018 CF. I had to walk every step. This walk is different
Unless you really need to shave off some Kms I think that this is a bad idea that is often repeated here.
If you start from the Cathedral in Porto you walk down to the river then to the sea. I thoroughly enjoyed the walk along the Senda Litoral to Matosinhos.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Unless you really need to shave off some Kms I think that this is a bad idea that is often repeated here.
If you start from the Cathedral in Porto you walk down to the river then to the sea. I thoroughly enjoyed the walk along the Senda Litoral to Matosinhos.
Me too! Something really special about that sight of the Atlantic Ocean when you reach the river mouth. Plus we were guided by a local out walking to an excellent breakfast cafe on the river, just before we reached the mouth.

Thank you. This feedback is very much appreciated

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Everyone’s mileage varies, but seven days should be enough for Porto-Vigo, especially if you start by taking the metro but even if you don’t. These were my stages and accommodation last August:

Day 1: Porto - Vila Chã (26km) - Café Sandra (private room, €30)

Day 2: Vila Chã - Esposende (31.5km) - Eskama hostel (private room, €40)

Day 3: Esposende - VdC (25.1km) - Alex Point (private room, €42)

Day 4: VdC to Caminha (26.8km) - Bom Caminha albergue (private room, €45)

Day 5: Caminha to Oia (16.4km) - LaCala Inn (albergue dormitory, €20)

Day 6: Oia to Baiona (17.9km) - Estelo do Mar (albergue domitory, €16)

Day 7: Baiona to Vigo (25.3km) littoral - Pension Buenos Aires (private room, €45)
Thank you. This is a great help.

My husband and I are going to be Hospitaler@s in Ponferrada in mid September. Prior to this, we are going to walk part of the coastal Portuguese route to experience the route and also to remind ourselves of what it is to be a pilgrim.

Full disclosure, we have only completed research on the internet and read previous posts on Ivar. We are currently away from home for a period of time. We will purchase the Brierley book upon our return.

We plan to start our abbreviated CP in Porto. I am thinking that we will walk to Vigo. From there we will take a bus to Ponferrada. Will seven days be adequate to walk from Porto to Vigo? One website indicated the following for the start in Porto: Today you should take the Metro to Matosinhos to avoid the outskirts of Porto and reach the coast to start your Camino walk, this will also make your daily KM 28. Get off at the ‘Mercado’ stop. This seems like a good idea to me. I was a “purist pilgrim” during our 2018 CF. I had to walk every step. This walk is different.

You can take a train from Sao Bento station (a joy in itself) to VdC. That gives you options.
Re walking out of Porto; I like the walk along the river to the coast and have walked to Matosinhos as a short day having flown in to Porto in the morning. There is a tram on the route which looks fun but has always been full. The Metro is also a good opt.

You may want to consider skipping walking to Vigo and take a bus from Baiona. Vigo is a big city with a lot of big city walking without the ambiance of the coastal route.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can take a train from Sao Bento station (a joy in itself) to VdC. That gives you options.
Re walking out of Porto; I like the walk along the river to the coast and have walked to Matosinhos as a short day having flown in to Porto in the morning. There is a tram on the route which looks fun but has always been full. The Metro is also a good opt.
Thank you.

Good to know. Thank you.
I also endorse others' suggestions of starting your walk from the Cathedral in Porto along the Douro River. It is a nice easy walk and it is special to see the mouth of the river as it enters the Atlantic.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You may want to consider skipping walking to Vigo and take a bus from Baiona. Vigo is a big city with a lot of big city walking without the ambiance of the coastal route.
Oh, but the coastal walk from Baiona to Vigo is so beautiful! It's only when you arrive into Vigo that it gets less nice. The Cies Islands to your left, beautiful beaches....

Oh, but the coastal walk from Baiona to Vigo is so beautiful! It's only when you arrive into Vigo that it gets less nice. The Cies Islands to your left, beautiful beaches....
It’s worth pointing out here that there are two routes from Baiona to Vigo, listed on Gronze as stages 8A and 8B. The littoral alternative along the coast (8B) is clearly signed and marked at the point where the two routes split.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.