• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

advice on best 12-13 days

KaryninAtlanta

Hi Everyone, I've been reading for a week or 2 and am totally overwhelmed. I'll be arriving in Madrid on 20 June and back out on 4 July. I want to get as much of an authentic experience as I can in that short time, but am worried that if I do the last bit into Santiago, I won't see or experience the best parts of the path. I care less about the certificate if doing the last 100km is the only way to get one. I do plan on going in for a day or so to the final mass and then maybe taking the overnight train back to Madrid. SO, my question is...do you veterans recommend doing the "middle" 2 weeks and then bus into Santiago this time of year or am I coming over early enough to avoid the uber crowds that rush through the end? THANKS for the help!
Karyn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Karyn and welcome!

Your question has got me thinking! Usually people are keen to walk into Santiago. You've got plenty of time to do more than the last 100kms, as that stretch is just 5 days or so. It does get busy on that stretch and you see things that you might not do earlier on the route (more horses, bus tours etc), but there are some lovely places there.

Your time is quite limited so you want to find a starting point that is fairly easily accessible from Madrid. If you wanted to do the 'middle' section that might mean starting somewhere like Burgos. That section would take you across the Meseta, perhaps to Astorga or Ponferrada depending on how far you walk each day. Some people don't like the Meseta, as they think it's dull and flat. Others absolutely love it, find it really spiritual and the essence of the Camino. Some Spanish pilgrims asked my walking partner this year what had been her favourite part of the Camino, and when she said the Meseta they thought she had gone mad. It's a matter of taste!

Another option would be starting in somewhere like Astorga and walking to Santiago. You'd have the beautiful mountain section between there and Ponferrada (including the Cross of Iron) and the classic climb up to O Cebreiro as you enter Galicia. This would be my suggestion given the time you have. Leon would be an easier starting point to get to, but might be just too far to walk to Santiago depending how far you can walk each day. Even if you're not too worried about getting a Compostela it might be frustrating to get so close!

Personally my favourite section is near the start in Navarra and La Rioja, but that would leave you a long way from Santiago. Maybe that's somewhere to go back to once you've got the Camino bug! :D

Buen Camino, whatever you decide to do!

I agree with Tyrrek and also love the first week - and the last week on the Camino Frances, and many places inbetween but if you don't have time, these would be my favourites.
This is a 13 days Camino I've recommended to many pilgrims - and it has worked well.
You could cut it down by one night by getting a taxi from Los Arcos to Logroño and getting the early morning train to Sarria that day.

Day 1: - Roncesvalles to Zubiri 21.7km
Day 2: - Pamplona 20,5km
Day 3: - Puente La Reina 23.5km
Day 4: - Estella 21.8km
Day 5: - Los Arocs 21.3km
Day 6: - Logróno 28.2km

Day 7: Overnight Train to Sarria: 01h58 arr: 09:47

Day 8: - Sarria to Portomarin 23 km
Day 9 - Cassanova 27.6
Day 10: - Arzua 24 km
Day 11: - Arca 23 km
Day 12: - Santiago 16km
Day 13: - Free day in Santiago
Day 14: Travel back

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are going to go Santiago you want to check Ryanair flights now to see that you can return!

The bus is a good ride but long!

It will be great what ever you do!
Buen Camino
David

ps. we went from Astorga, wonderful 13days :D ........Sil's itinerary, looks wonderful, I think the drudgery of the last few days is pretty important, you want it to end but you don't want it to end - madness. & Santiago is wonderful, with the center with almost no cars.

Fellow pilgrims are an important part of the Camino. If you break it up, you will lose your "group." Astorga to Santiago will avoid that, and you will have some really beautiful countryside.

Having recently completed the Camino Portuguese I can heartily recommend that route. You would have plenty of time to do it from Porto, or if you want to take it a bit easier you could start in Barcelos as we did. The route is very well marked, much less crowded than the French route, the Albergues are clean and well kept and the walk itself is varied and extremely beautiful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello, Just get into the conversation. My two best 12-13 days camino is first the Primitivo camino starting in Oviedo to Santiago. Just too beautiful, less road walking, no crowd. Second the La Plata camino 12-13 before Santiago. Good trail, really nice albergues ( more have open in 2010) and not too long etapas. it is also call the Sanabrese camino.
Enjoy!!!
jpierre

Thanks everyone for getting back so quickly! Sil, your idea looks like a good one. : ) But, somebody mentioned that I may lose flowing along with the group if I stop and start. This is somewhat important to me since I will be on my own. What do others think of that? Will it be hard to fall into a new group? I just really don't want to feel like Ive gotta run or rush just to get a place to sleep at night. I was hoping arriving in June would help with that, but maybe not. ??? Also, thanks for the tip on Ryanair over the overnite train. I figured I could just sleep on the train, but if the flight is the way to go and gives me more time to explore, then I'll do that. I have a feeling this won't be my last walking trek, so I def will check into some of the other routes you guys recommend for next summer. After spending last summer in Ireland, i think I've caught the bug. :D
Karyn

KaryninAtlanta said:
But, somebody mentioned that I may lose flowing along with the group if I stop and start. This is somewhat important to me since I will be on my own. What do others think of that? Will it be hard to fall into a new group? Karyn
Hi Karyn!

It won't be difficult to join a new group...but it could be difficult leaving the old one! It's surprising how quickly you get close to people when you're all in unfamiliar places and reliant on each other's support.

If possible I'd walk in one stretch. The parts of the Camino that you miss will still be there to go back to. The people won't.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I´d also walk just one stretch. As tyrrek said, why leave the people you´ve just made friends with? Moreover, at least for me caminos have been deep processes of my mind&spirit and they somehow are bind together with the scenery and the continuum of the walking, so that taking a bus would mean starting a new camino and a new process, in good too, but also in bad, so that there would be an interregnum, a disconnect. This is of couse only my experience (have done it once), but maybe I´m not the only one.

If I had 12-13 days and I would absolutely want to walk it on Camino Frances, I´d start from Leon or Astorga, and if I´d consider other routes too, it would be Camino Primitivo, without a doubt.

Buen camino on the way you choose to be yours - or which chooses you :D

Other routes offer great beauty, but for a first camino, I think your choice of the Camino Frances is good. It gives you the common experience, good and bad, that is the core experience. Branch out to other routes for repeat walks.

Having recently completed the Camino Portuguese I can heartily recommend that route. You would have plenty of time to do it from Porto, or if you want to take it a bit easier you could start in Barcelos as we did. The route is very well marked, much less crowded than the French route, the Albergues are clean and well kept and the walk itself is varied and extremely beautiful.

Hello my friend,

I am planing my second Camino, and looking id doing the Porto to Santiago, and want to do the Coastal. Any recommendations, hints, no-no's, etc... I'd really like to get in touch with you tom get more info from someone that has done this part.

thanks!
Dan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The original poster has not been around since June, so may have all the advice she needs!;)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back