• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on Camino Madrid

frbobs

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Madrid Aug. 2019
Camino Sanabres Sept. 2023
Hey, my name is Bobby. From Long Island, New York. Walked Camino Frances 2014, and Camino Portugues 2017. Planning to walk Camino Madrid August 2019. Joined the forum to get any advice I can about the path (except "don't walk in August" :eek:, it's the only time I could get off). I'm Particularly curious about the section between Cercedilla and Segovia, regarding walking to Valsain to break it up a bit before Segovia (looks like it's only about 2k off the path, and there's a casa rural in town I can book ahead). Any info on that or anything regarding the Camino Madrid would be shiney.
Thanks and ULTREA!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey, my name is Bobby. From Long Island, New York. Walked Camino Frances 2014, and Camino Portugues 2017. Planning to walk Camino Madrid August 2019. Joined the forum to get any advice I can about the path (except "don't walk in August" :eek:, it's the only time I could get off). I'm Particularly curious about the section between Cercedilla and Segovia, regarding walking to Valsain to break it up a bit before Segovia (looks like it's only about 2k off the path, and there's a casa rural in town I can book ahead). Any info on that or anything regarding the Camino Madrid would be shiney.
Thanks and ULTREA!
Hi, Bobby,

If you make a detour to Valsain you can as well walk couple of kilometers more on nice shady flat path to La Granja de San Ildefonso where you also have the option of albergue/youth hostel. And there is a lot to enjoy in the gardens of Royal Summer Palace.

All other info re Madrid route as such you can find in this sub-forum but obviously you already did some research. Few of our members took it this year and they posted valuable info. Nothing much more that you would need. Camino well marked, infrastructure adequate, plenty of villages with fuentes etc.

Wish you Buen Camino and get back if you have any specific question!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Guys, sounds like a great idea. Peace

Thanks and ULTREA!

'Shiney'??? 🤔

:) The Search Engine (top of page on the right) will give you access to a ton of information. Additionally, check out the sub-forum for the Camino Madrid

I will be following this thread with interest as I plan to walk this route starting in late September. All the best for a great trip!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
August and even September can be hot, but the dry heat is better bearable than the humid warmth in other places. You should not rely on the fountains in the mountains after Cercedilla. If you can get an extra water supply be happy, but don't expext it. The more reliable chance is to make a cyclist stop and ask for water (especially on weekends you'll see many).

I found the information post on the way for the Valsaín detour a bit vague. Maybe it became better with the years, e.g. some additional arrows. I don't know. If not a GPS (app) could be particularly helpful.
The classic leg Cercedilla - Zamarramala felt not just a bit too long. Stayed in Añe the next day (very basic, but not that far).

The CSJ guide was good. If you don't want to spent money get one guide for free in a tourism office in Castilla (e.g. Segovia next to the aqueduct). At least they had them in spanish, english and german. French, maybe. For accomodation lists I like gronze.com, the guides are spanish but also good value.

I walked from Madrid to Segovia 3-4 weeks ago. On the section between Cercedilla and Segovia, I cut it short and stopped at Hotel Rural El Jardin de la Hilaria in La Pradera de Navalhorno (which is just across the river from Valsain). Nice place, and they had a restaurant across the street for dinner. The next day I walked along the road to La Granja, which was impressive. It was not a great walk along the road from La Granja into Segovia (especially when it was drizzling), as it is a fairly major road and there is not much to see, but it is a reasonably short walk and you have Segovia to look forward to. .

Hi Bobby,
I did the camino de Madrid this April but unfortunately could not walk over the pass because of the snowy conditions. But maybe I can advise you to check out Ray’s and Rosa’s the website that contain encyclopedic info on the caminos. Here’s the link to the GPS tracks they use, you’ll be interested in 4ªB ETAPA. CERCEDILLA-SEGOVIA (VARIANTE POR LA GRANJA)
The municipal albergue in La Granja is Camino de Lis 921 470 984/662 094 929
I had the chance to stay with Ray and Rosa in Manzanares, which is the only pilgrim only accommodation in town. If you happen to do the same you’ll get more than enough tips for a smooth camino!

You can also download the free Buen Camino app and the camino de Madrid has the alternate via Valsain/La Granja route.
Hope it helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cozumel, Thanks a lot! Very helpful info. I decided to go to La Granja, staying in a hostel. I am going to try to meet Ray and Rose (even though I'm staying in some place with bunk beds in Manzanares, and not with them), everybody mentions them. Thanks again, and I hope your Camino continues to unfold and bear fruit. Bob

Cozumel, Thanks a lot! Very helpful info. I decided to go to La Granja, staying in a hostel. I am going to try to meet Ray and Rose (even though I'm staying in some place with bunk beds in Manzanares, and not with them), everybody mentions them. Thanks again, and I hope your Camino continues to unfold and bear fruit. Bob
Is there new albergue in Manzanares el Real or you mean albergue in Mataelpino?

It's not an Albergue, it's Hostel la Pedriza, in Manzanares el Real. Rooms with 4 bunks or 8, one just for girls. Looks pretty nice. 22 euros a night (think there's breakfast too :)) Little more pricey than the Albergue, but I figured what the heck, plus I could get it in advance. Thanks for all the great info your giving on the thread, really appreciate it. Peace

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's not an Albergue, it's Hostel la Pedriza, in Manzanares el Real. Rooms with 4 bunks or 8, one just for girls. Looks pretty nice. 22 euros a night (think there's breakfast too :)) Little more pricey than the Albergue, but I figured what the heck, plus I could get it in advance. Thanks for all the great info your giving on the thread, really appreciate it. Peace
OK.
But Mataelpino albergue is super cozy and modern. Lots of space, three dorms, kitchen etc.

Buen Camino! :)

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back