• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on Central route May 2023

Portugues Central: what month is best?

• May

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • June

• September

• October

• Total voters
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2022
I’m planning to walk my second Camino in spring 2023, the portugues central from Porto. I walked sjpdp to SdC mid-May to mid-June this year with my husband (31 walking days including Samos- too fast, on reflection, so will walk that route again leisurely another time). I’m planning to walk solo in spring. Here are my questions for experienced souls:
1. Does the portugues have the same big waves starting May 1 (Labor Day holiday) to mid May that the Frances seems to have?
2. If yes, are there bottlenecks where reservations are a good idea at the peak periods (like orisson and roncesvalles on the Frances)
3. Is a midweek start in the first half of May likely to mean long periods completely alone? (I like reflecting and walking without talking but prefer to see a pilgrim or two in the distance or several times a day for safety’s sake)
4. Is the spiritual significantly harder than the central? I might be in Camino shape as I get closer but I’m not sure if I will add that on. I can take about 21 days total.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ponte de Lima to Rubaies section (Central) has a steep rocky climb and descent. On the Espiritual Variante from Combarra to Armenteira there's steep climbing plus you then have the route of Water and Stones that is quite a scramble. However we had fine weather and managed
We are retirees and not Spring chickens!

Last edited:
End of April to mid May was when we walked and it wasn't busy. It took us 13 days.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey Sarah. We’re just back from having walked the Camino Portugués por la Costa (we had already done the Central route). IMHO both are great routes. Neither is particularly difficult. This time after Pontevedra, we detoured off the Central to walk the VE. Loved it! The only “more” difficult part, as mentioned above, is the climb from Combarra to Armenteira. However, the trek up is mostly on pavement. We didn’t find the descent any particular challenge and in fact a refreshing change to going uphill on quite a hot day. Your reward is Armenteira. If possible, stay in the Monestario. We had a wonderful stay there, took in the pilgrim’s mass, and then enjoyed a bite to eat at the café/bar just outside the monastery gates. The second reason to take this route is the spectacular boatride from Vilanova de Arouza to just outside Padrón. We cruised with Amare. The boat launch was no more than a couple minutes walk from our albergue (A Salazon). The unique crosses one see on the ride are well worth the effort to get there. On neither of our Portugese Caminos did we find big crowds although more pilgrims were traveling the Central route this past April/May which was evident when we connected with the interior route near Redondela. Pilgrims were not having difficulty finding beds. I know you’ll enjoy this camino.

Hey Sarah. We’re just back from having walked the Camino Portugués por la Costa (we had already done the Central route). IMHO both are great routes. Neither is particularly difficult. This time after Pontevedra, we detoured off the Central to walk the VE. Loved it! The only “more” difficult part, as mentioned above, is the climb from Combarra to Armenteira. However, the trek up is mostly on pavement. We didn’t find the descent any particular challenge and in fact a refreshing change to going uphill on quite a hot day. Your reward is Armenteira. If possible, stay in the Monestario. We had a wonderful stay there, took in the pilgrim’s mass, and then enjoyed a bite to eat at the café/bar just outside the monastery gates. The second reason to take this route is the spectacular boatride from Vilanova de Arouza to just outside Padrón. We cruised with Amare. The boat launch was no more than a couple minutes walk from our albergue (A Salazon). The unique crosses one see on the ride are well worth the effort to get there. On neither of our Portugese Caminos did we find big crowds although more pilgrims were traveling the Central route this past April/May which was evident when we connected with the interior route near Redondela. Pilgrims were not having difficulty finding beds. I know you’ll enjoy this camino.
Such great information and advice @Grousedoctor thank you! I’ve copied it over to my planning notes

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ponte de Lima to Rubaies section (Central) has a steep rocky climb and descent. On the Espiritual Variante from Combarra to Armenteira there's steep climbing plus you then have the route of Water and Stones that is quite a scramble. However we had fine weather and managed
We are retirees and not Spring chickens!
This sounds manageable. We walked the Frances pretty fast and had several back to back 30km+ days but I found the downhills to zubiri, after alto de perdon and after Cruz de ferro were the hardest on my still-healing shin splints. Thanks for weighing in!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, my husband and I want to stay at this monastery but we had to change our plans and are now only able to walk from Tui to Santiago, the minimum to get the Compostela. Does anyone know if this...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back