• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on Finisterre

Time of past OR future Camino
CF September 2022
CF April 2024
We will complete our first Camino Frances in early November in SdC. We'll be staying in Santiago for a few days afterward and would like to take the bus out to Finisterre.

In looking at transport, it seems the bus ride will take anywhere between 1.5 and 2.5 hours meaning we will spend anything up to 5 hours on the bus - which is okay. However, we'd like to know, other than just enjoying this 'holy grail' and breathing in the experience, is there anything else to be done or participate in at Finisterre or is it simply 'smelling the roses'? We might be able to enjoy going to Muxia or somewhere else close by if time and public transport schedules permit. I'm pretty keen to incorporate a trip to A Coruna on the same day, perhaps first, as it's a short 30 minute train ride from Santiago and 2 hour bus ride from Finisterre... Quite a lot will depend on time spent at Finisterre. Would love to hear your thoughts...too ambitious?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are tour bus offerings that will meander out to Fisterra on a scenic route, arriving around lunchtime. The tour that I took went back through Muxia to Santiago after that. I found the booking form in the Albergue I was staying at.

We will complete our first Camino Frances in early November in SdC. We'll be staying in Santiago for a few days afterward and would like to take the bus out to Finisterre.

In looking at transport, it seems the bus ride will take anywhere between 1.5 and 2.5 hours meaning we will spend anything up to 5 hours on the bus - which is okay. However, we'd like to know, other than just enjoying this 'holy grail' and breathing in the experience, is there anything else to be done or participate in at Finisterre or is it simply 'smelling the roses'? We might be able to enjoy going to Muxia or somewhere else close by if time and public transport schedules permit. I'm pretty keen to incorporate a trip to A Coruna on the same day, perhaps first, as it's a short 30 minute train ride from Santiago and 2 hour bus ride from Finisterre... Quite a lot will depend on time spent at Finisterre. Would love to hear your thoughts...too ambitious?
The first time I stayed in Finisterre for 2 days, walked up to the lighthouse, frequented a few of the bars, walked the length of the beach couple of times, walked on the breakwater, (which is something I don't think you can do now) had a swim (probably wouldn't do that in November), and generally had a great wind-down time.
Last time we went to Finisterre first, spent some time there, then went to Muxia. I loved Muxia, walked all around it, its smaller, but quite lovely and very different.
I think the key to both places is not to be in a rush.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first time I stayed in Finisterre for 2 days, walked up to the lighthouse, frequented a few of the bars, walked the length of the beach couple of times, walked on the breakwater, (which is something I don't think you can do now) had a swim (probably wouldn't do that in November), and generally had a great wind-down time.
Last time we went to Finisterre first, spent some time there, then went to Muxia. I loved Muxia, walked all around it, its smaller, but quite lovely and very different.
I agree with Anamiri. The highlight when we walked to Finisterre was walking to the lighthouse at Finisterre (we took a wild path over a pretty steep small mountain rather than the road, which was fun) and then watching the ocean waves roll in as a quiet, peaceful "ending" to our pilgrimage in contrast to the crazy busy-ness of Santiago. For my wife and me, it was a perfect finish. We then took a bus to Muxia and actually probably liked it better than Finisterre. Less of a party place, smaller, more of a fishing village but with a beautiful tip to walk to with a gorgeous small church and a large modern sculpture honoring those who worked on a huge oil spill near there some years ago. But both are best as places of contemplation - I wouldn't consider either one a tourist destination.

Rather than spend a few days in Santiago, I would recommend continuing your Pilgrimage all the way to Finisterre, Beautiful walk, especially if you go Santiago to Muxia to Finisterrre.

I agree 100%. Don't rush it. Both places have their charm. I wouldn't miss the lighthouse and kilometer # 0, the "end of the world" for the Romans who built the road.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I don't know if this will help but my son and i hired a car and drove the route that the tour bus takes stopping as and when we felt like it. It was a few years ago but if there were two or more of you it was cheaper, easily achievable in a day and gave you more freedom to spend time as it suited you while getting the car back within the hire time.

I don't know if this will help but my son and i hired a car and drove the route that the tour bus takes stopping as and when we felt like it. It was a few years ago but if there were two or more of you it was cheaper, easily achievable in a day and gave you more freedom to spend time as it suited you while getting the car back within the hire time.
Hi Vince, yes, hiring a car has crossed my mind. Although, as Aussies, we drive on the other side of the road. On previous international holidays, my husband has nearly always done the driving and I've held the important role of 'navigator'. My usual 'driver' won't be along on this trip, and I've only driven once on the other side of the road in Hawaii for a couple weeks and found it okay. My husband and I have driven before from Santiago along some of that coastline, in 2018, before the camino was in the picture for me; it's not busy and the roads, from memory, are pretty good. So, yes, this could be a consideration. Confidence is the key, I think. By the way, did you have an international licence, or use your licence from your home country? We have always travelled with an international licence, but, have rarely been asked to present it when hiring a car...

Last edited:
I walked the Camino Portuguese in 2017, continued onto Muxia then Finisterre!
Muxia is quite small, most people head down to the rocks to watch the sunset, the church was closed when I was there. Finisterre bit more lively, as mentioned you have the lighthouse, 0.0 km marker, beach. I was there in August and the weather was terrible! Thick sea fog everywhere, rainy and cold.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Vince, yes, hiring a car has crossed my mind. Although, as Aussies, we drive on the other side of the road. On previous international holidays, my husband has nearly always done the driving and I've held the important role of 'navigator'. My usual 'driver' won't be along on this trip, and I've only driven once on the other side of the road in Hawaii for a couple weeks and found it okay. My husband and I have driven before from Santiago along some of that coastline, in 2018, before the camino was in the picture for me; it's not busy and the roads, from memory, are pretty good. So, yes, this could be a consideration. Confidence is the key, I think. By the way, did you have an international licence, or use your licence from your home country? We have always travelled with an international licence, but, have rarely been asked to present it when hiring a car...
HI. My son and I are both from the UK so like you drive on the other side of the road. I had driven on the other side a few times in Canada and the USA while my son had done several trips in Europe so it was not too much of a problem for us. We paid slightly extra to hire a satnav that spoke to us in English which was a great help. You are right that the roads are quiet once you get out of Santiago itself. two women from the USA who we had met a few times along the way also wanted to go to Finisterre and were being put off by the cost of the coach trip also decided to hire a car after they spoke with us and were delighted that they did.. However, I believe the cost of car hire has risen sharply in Europe lately so there is a chance that the coach trip may be a competitive option. I guess you can see when you are there. I can't help with any information on international driving licences as at the time the UK was still in the EU and our UK licences were acceptable. Whatever you decide have a great trip.
Buen Camino
Vince

HI. My son and I are both from the UK so like you drive on the other side of the road. I had driven on the other side a few times in Canada and the USA while my son had done several trips in Europe so it was not too much of a problem for us. We paid slightly extra to hire a satnav that spoke to us in English which was a great help. You are right that the roads are quiet once you get out of Santiago itself. two women from the USA who we had met a few times along the way also wanted to go to Finisterre and were being put off by the cost of the coach trip also decided to hire a car after they spoke with us and were delighted that they did.. However, I believe the cost of car hire has risen sharply in Europe lately so there is a chance that the coach trip may be a competitive option. I guess you can see when you are there. I can't help with any information on international driving licences as at the time the UK was still in the EU and our UK licences were acceptable. Whatever you decide have a great trip.
Buen Camino
Vince
Thanks, Vince, appreciate your insights and thoughts. I'll look into all options and see how it feels closer to the time, things may change between now and then. Both anxious and excited to get this journey underway, more apprehensive perhaps for the 24 hours of flying to get there (and home again)! Linda.

2018 me and three friends walked to Santiago from St. Jean, France. They ventured on to Caruna and then Finnisteri and said it was some of their best memories for meeting people, great tappas, and fun... fun...fun.

There are tour bus offerings that will meander out to Fisterra on a scenic route, arriving around lunchtime. The tour that I took went back through Muxia to Santiago after that. I found the booking form in the Albergue I was staying at.
took the same route - timing was just right for me, excellent seafood for lunch, ample time at the site as well as at the Muxia site.

@Vince Rollason has written a good summary of his experience renting a car and driving in Spain and Portugal. That post has been moved out of the Finisterre forum to a thread of its own so it will be more easier found in the future. You can continue the discussion of car rental and driving on this new thread.

Last edited:
@Vince Rollason has written a good summary of his experience renting a car and driving in Spain and Portugal. That post has been moved out of the Finisterre forum to a thread of its own so it will be more easily found in the future. You can continue the discussion of car rental and driving on this new thread.
Awesome! Mega thanks @C clearly

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?
Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back