• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on how long Correos holds luggage in Santiago

Bananafish05

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Hola Chicos,

We're currently on Camino. Just arrived in Villaviciosa after a beautiful day yesterday on the beach in La Isla.

We're travelling with our backpacks but got our suitcase sent on to Santiago from Santander. We were under the impression that the service for pilgrims meant it would be kept in Santiago for 30 days but have recently received the below email saying we need to collect it before the 17th or it'll be sent back (presumably to Santander). We aren't due to arrive to Santiago until the 20th or 21st.

Does anyone know what's going on? Is it just an automated email. When processing the bag in Santander the lady at the post office didn't seem to totally know what was happening and my Spanish wasn't good enough to adequately explain. But we did pay the rate that was quoted online.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Muchos gracias
Danushka Screenshot_20220907-151810.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@miguel_gp is right. At the time that you send your bag or parcel you can choose to pay for a longer storage period.

I would write to them, and make sure to let them know that you are a pilgrim on the Camino.

When processing the bag in Santander the lady at the post office didn't seem to totally know what was happening and my Spanish wasn't good enough to adequately explain. But we did pay the rate that was quoted online.
Did you do the "paq peregrino?"
It's too bad the the woman at the post office didn't seem to understand.

This page on the Correos site lists prices for shipping plus different storage periods.

Screenshot_20220907-064503.pngScreenshot_20220907-064523~2.pngScreenshot_20220907-064542~2.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks both for your help. I called Correos as @miguel_gp suggested and was pleasantly surprised to hear they had an English service! Anyway according to the lady on the phone, it was just an automated email and the bag should be stored in Santiago for 30 days. Thanks all!
Good news!
Thanks for reporting back.

Hola Chicos,

We're currently on Camino. Just arrived in Villaviciosa after a beautiful day yesterday on the beach in La Isla.

We're travelling with our backpacks but got our suitcase sent on to Santiago from Santander. We were under the impression that the service for pilgrims meant it would be kept in Santiago for 30 days but have recently received the below email saying we need to collect it before the 17th or it'll be sent back (presumably to Santander). We aren't due to arrive to Santiago until the 20th or 21st.

Does anyone know what's going on? Is it just an automated email. When processing the bag in Santander the lady at the post office didn't seem to totally know what was happening and my Spanish wasn't good enough to adequately explain. But we did pay the rate that was quoted online.

Muchos gracias
Danushka View attachment 132339
Hola Chicos,

Muchos gracias
Danushka View attachment 132339
When I sent my stuff to Santiago I had to put an approximate date on my form when I would be collecting it, which was more than 15 days ahead. The lady at the post office said I would get an email in 15 days saying if I didn’t collect it, it would be returned, but to ignore it as it’s just generic and it would remain at the post office for 30 days. It was there waiting for me when I arrived 28 days later 👍 I hope this helps

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I sent my stuff to Santiago I had to put an approximate date on my form when I would be collecting it, which was more than 15 days ahead. The lady at the post office said I would get an email in 15 days saying if I didn’t collect it, it would be returned, but to ignore it as it’s just generic and it would remain at the post office for 30 days. It was there waiting for me when I arrived 28 days later 👍 I hope this helps
Thanks @Snowflake5090 that's very reassuring. We did the same as you so good to know our stuff will be waiting for us when we complete it!

Hi - just picking up on the thread. I want to do the same but I am to finish the camino on a Sunday (fly that night). Does anyone know what the opening hours are on a Sunday?

Hi - just picking up on the thread. I want to do the same but I am to finish the camino on a Sunday (fly that night). Does anyone know what the opening hours are on a Sunday?
I sent them an email to ask about picking up Paq Peregrino in Santiago. This was their response:

Yes, you can pick up your suitcase or backpack the seven days of the week, from 8.30 to 20.30

Apparently you can pick up packages/luggage on the weekend, but there are no other postal services on those days.

If you want to confirm for yourself you can email them at elcamino@correos.com

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back