• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on le puy to st jean

Chris2017uk

Time of past OR future Camino
None
I have walked st jean to Santiago (2018) already and would like continue the route this year Le puy to st jean ( starting oct)

Will the accommodation be fully open this time of year starting around (10th October)?

What will the weather be like?

Thanks Chris

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Even in normal years, walking in France becomes something of an adventure as fall progresses. September, especially early September, is about the busiest time of the year on the pilgrim paths. There is a "week"-long school vacation in October; the exact dates for this vary with location and year (there is a website with this info somewhere). So, many places will close for this and just stay closed the rest of the year. All Saints Day (Nov 1) (Toussaint) marks the traditional end of the hiking year and most places will close then. However, a few will remain open. Miam Miam Dodo has the planned opening/closing dates for lodgings. However, Covid and family circumstances may result in closings regardless. The key is to call ahead - either yourself, a friend, or tonight's lodging host - for reservations.

Even in normal years, walking in France becomes something of an adventure as fall progresses. September, especially early September, is about the busiest time of the year on the pilgrim paths. There is a "week"-long school vacation in October; the exact dates for this vary with location and year (there is a website with this info somewhere). So, many places will close for this and just stay closed the rest of the year. All Saints Day (Nov 1) (Toussaint) marks the traditional end of the hiking year and most places will close then. However, a few will remain open. Miam Miam Dodo has the planned opening/closing dates for lodgings. However, Covid and family circumstances may result in closings regardless. The key is to call ahead - either yourself, a friend, or tonight's lodging host - for reservations.
Ok. Thanks for your advice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have walked st jean to Santiago (2018) already and would like continue the route this year Le puy to st jean ( starting oct)

Will the accommodation be fully open this time of year starting around (10th October)?

What will the weather be like?

Thanks Chris

I concur with Kitsambler … if you don’t already have it I suggest you buy a cooy of the excellent Miam-Miam-Dodo guidebook OR check out gronze website … a goodly number of accomms. are open all year but, because of the small numbers of pilgrim-hikers-walkers trekking through at the end of the season, «sur reservation» … calling ahead is essential … as you might understand it is hardly worth staying fully ooen in the hope that someone might call and request a bed … mind you that does happen 😉 Bon chemin, Chris 👣👣👣

I concur with Kitsambler … if you don’t already have it I suggest you buy a cooy of the excellent Miam-Miam-Dodo guidebook OR check out gronze website … a goodly number of accomms. are open all year but, because of the small numbers of pilgrim-hikers-walkers trekking through at the end of the season, «sur reservation» … calling ahead is essential … as you might understand it is hardly worth staying fully ooen in the hope that someone might call and request a bed … mind you that does happen 😉 Bon chemin, Chris 👣👣👣
Thanks. I checked the Miam-Miam-Dodo guide but it's only in french. I'll check the gronze website. It sounds like the trip can go ahead just with more planning and flexibility. Thanks for advice. I'm looking forward to the trip

I live in California, and I walked LePuy in 2018. I used Miam Miam Dodo English version (they have French and English) which is a great guide book. I called Gite (Albergue in France) ahead of time, and reserved a bed; many of them provided meals, too. The book showed various list of Gites with flag of country in front of Gite name. The flag means what language they can speak. The book does not show American flag; so, I went with UK flag Gite where they can speak English.
When you arrive in LePuy, you can buy Miam Miam Dodo in English at the gift shop in the Basilica where they have Pilgrim Mass in the morning.

I plan to walk to Norte after Easter next year, 2022.

Bon Chemin!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I live in California, and I walked LePuy in 2018. I used Miam Miam Dodo English version (they have French and English) which is a great guide book. I called Gite (Albergue in France) ahead of time, and reserved a bed; many of them provided meals, too. The book showed various list of Gites with flag of country in front of Gite name. The flag means what language they can speak. The book does not show American flag; so, I went with UK flag Gite where they can speak English.
When you arrive in LePuy, you can buy Miam Miam Dodo in English at the gift shop in the Basilica where they have Pilgrim Mass in the morning.

I plan to walk to Norte after Easter next year, 2022.

Bon Chemin!
Thanks. Ok that's good I'll have another search for the English version. Good luck on your Camino next year

the English version.
I suggest you actually try to work with the French version. Apart from the introductory descriptive text (which you don't really need since you have this wonderful Forum as a resource!), the listings are essentially directory listings: establishment name, street address, contact info, planned opening/closing dates. Then icons (pictures! multilingual!) reflecting their services, amenities, limitations/requirements, etc. TLDR: the vocabulary necessary to decipher this is about a dozen words, all of which you will need for actually traveling in France. You can do this!

I second @Kitsambler suggestion of buying the guidebook in French. It's a great way to learn some basic French phrases and terms; the symbols and legend in the book are accurate and easy to decipher. However, if you get in a pickle, there's always the google translate app photo feature. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I suggest you actually try to work with the French version. Apart from the introductory descriptive text (which you don't really need since you have this wonderful Forum as a resource!), the listings are essentially directory listings: establishment name, street address, contact info, planned opening/closing dates. Then icons (pictures! multilingual!) reflecting their services, amenities, limitations/requirements, etc. TLDR: the vocabulary necessary to decipher this is about a dozen words, all of which you will need for actually traveling in France. You can do this!
Ok. Thanks for your advice. It's alot easier to get hold of

Ok. Thanks for your advice. It's alot easier to get hold of

Chambers = rooms / 30 e =30 e / 17 km =17 km
Nationalities of owners is listed , phone numbers , email addresses , what’s available in village .
Book can be purchased anywhere in France , nothing else needed.
All I would worry about is the school and national holidays and the weather.
The Aubrac could be chilly , the road could be lonely but I would be there tomorrow if allowed.
Stop worrying mate and go and have a great 40 days ….hope you notice the duration , after many GRs we think that’s about right .
it’s a bit harder than the Frances.
Keep Safe .

Chambers = rooms / 30 e =30 e / 17 km =17 km
Nationalities of owners is listed , phone numbers , email addresses , what’s available in village .
Book can be purchased anywhere in France , nothing else needed.
All I would worry about is the school and national holidays and the weather.
The Aubrac could be chilly , the road could be lonely but I would be there tomorrow if allowed.
Stop worrying mate and go and have a great 40 days ….hope you notice the duration , after many GRs we think that’s about right .
it’s a bit harder than the Frances.
Keep Safe .
Sure. Holidays could be a issue. I've left the trip 1 month late really. I didn't allow that amount of days but I'll get a fair way . Hoping to go to Lourdes at the end . Thanks for your advice

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back