• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on packing, i.e. medicine/1st aid, etc

anita

In a week's time I will fly to Spain to walk the VdlP, starting 16 May. I need advice with regards to packing. I gathered somewhere on the forum that I will have to pack my walking poles in a box/tube since I will not be able to take it on-board in the backpack. I believe my Swiss army knife will have to go into the box, also scissors, etc. but other things I am unsure of whether to take it at all or whether in the backpack or per box, e.g. bedbugs powder and types of medicine. In respect of the latter these are things for nausea, constipation, antihistamine, anti-inflammatory, pain pills, muscle relaxant (think i will need the latter the first few days!) vitamins, etc. - all stuff that you can buy over the counter in SA. I am taking all in very small quantities due to weight and thus want to take it out of the packages and in ziplocks or small plastic holders given that I can buy again as it seems most villages have farmacia. My pharmacist suggested that I label the medicine holders/zip locks, type a list of these and he will then put it on his letterhead and certify it for me. Please assist, thanks, Anita

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anita -

That's a pretty comprehensive list. You could bring a few of each medication, but you can also buy/replenish them at farmacias in Spain EXCEPT the muscle relaxant - prescription only. It's very kind of your pharmacist to offer to list and verify them - couldn't hurt. It would likely be most convenient to put them all in your pack.

Buen camino and have a grand time!

lynne

I took my poles apart (putting rubber bands around each pole to keep the sections descrete to that pole so as not to mix them up) and put them inside my pack--I did not have to check anything. Be sure to put rubber tips on your poles and you will probably find that they go right through. I had to connect with a small commuter so I used my reuseable grocery bag to deload my bag of bulky but light items like my fleece and poncho so my pack would fit in the smaller overhead bin. I put all of that back in for the transatlantic flight--where my pack in the bin looked tiny next to all the HUGE suitcases crammed in there.

I am somewhat anal retentive about organization--I have small jewelry ziploc type bags. I sorted medications, used perm. marker to identify what was in each bag, and then put all the little bags into a larger one. I also had a small bag in my "daily" kit--so I could put a few pain meds, etc. where I could get them quickly during the day. I had tried the stick to itself wrap to make little "shrink wrap" daily packets but they were murder to get open. The key is to figure out what organization works for you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.