• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on planning first, short camino

Devil Pastry

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hello. My sister and I are planning our first camino for May 2023. We only have a week to walk this time. I am wondering, of all the options available, if you only had a week, which 100 kms or so would you choose to walk? It does not matter to us if we get to Santiago on this particular stage. Thanks for your advise.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello. My sister and I are planning our first camino for May 2023. We only have a week to walk this time. I am wondering, of all the options available, if you only had a week, which 100 kms or so would you choose to walk? It does not matter to us if we get to Santiago on this particular stage. Thanks for your advise.
Where are you travelling from? The logistics of getting to and home from the start and end points will inform the answers.

I’ve often walked short stretches of the Frances flying into Madrid which gives easy access and egress to and from Pamplona; Logrono; Burgos; Leon; Sarria and Santiago. Also La Coruña/Ferrol.

I’d consider the Camino Ingles.

Where are you travelling from? The logistics of getting to and home from the start and end points will inform the answers.

I’ve often walked short stretches of the Frances flying into Madrid which gives easy access and egress to and from Pamplona; Logrono; Burgos; Leon; Sarria and Santiago. Also La Coruña/Ferrol.

I’d consider the Camino Ingles.
Thank you for the reply. I will be coming from eastern Canada and my sister from western US. After we finish our walk we will travel to Barcelona before returning home.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Want the Compostela? My suggestion is the beautiful, uncrowded walk from Finisterre to Muxia to Santiago. Don't need the compostela? Then Santiago to Muxia to Finisterre and get the Fenisterre and Muxia documents!

Or do what many do--Start at SJPDP and do another week every year until you finish in Santiago.

Want the Compostela? My suggestion is the beautiful, uncrowded walk from Finisterre to Muxia to Santiago. Don't need the compostela? Then Santiago to Muxia to Finisterre and get the Fenisterre and Muxia documents!

Or do what many do--Start at SJPDP and do another week every year until you finish in Santiago.
Good ideas. Thank you !

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will be coming from eastern Canada and my sister from western US. After we finish our walk we will travel to Barcelona before returning home.
It is hard to give advice. You say you have 1 week to walk. Have you planned your arrival in Spain, and do you have time allocated for arrival, travel to another start point, and overcoming jet lag? It seems to me that the transportation logistics could be a major factor in determining what section you would choose to walk.

which 100 kms or so would you choose to walk?
With those constraints, I would probably choose to walk somewhere close to either my arrival city or my departure city (Barcelona) but I have experience walking in Spain and my Spanish is quite functional. If you want a "taste of the Camino" I would suggest one of the more popular routes.

For one week, perhaps the Santiago to Finisterre and/or Muxia would be a better choice. You would enjoy good infrastructure, meet other pilgrims, see Santiago, and have good transportation connections to/from Santiago. However, remember that Santiago is a long way from Barcelona (and Madrid) so you need to allow time and budget for that!

You can’t go without elaborating on your user-name …
Well, my name is Elizabeth Claire and my birthday is June 6. As a child my father used to bring home a box of eclaires for the family every payday. Of course, I thought those pastries were chosen specially for me. Years ago when I created my first email address I chose eclaire66. Since the system informed me that the address was already taken, I added the third 6. Soon thereafter my friends nicknamed me Devil Pastry. And there it is. Can I go now? 😂

It is hard to give advice. You say you have 1 week to walk. Have you planned your arrival in Spain, and do you have time allocated for arrival, travel to another start point, and overcoming jet lag? It seems to me that the transportation logistics could be a major factor in determining what section you would choose to walk.

With those constraints, I would probably choose to walk somewhere close to either my arrival city or my departure city (Barcelona) but I have experience walking in Spain and my Spanish is quite functional. If you want a "taste of the Camino" I would suggest one of the more popular routes.

For one week, perhaps the Santiago to Finisterre and/or Muxia would be a better choice. You would enjoy good infrastructure, meet other pilgrims, see Santiago, and have good transportation connections to/from Santiago. However, remember that Santiago is a long way from Barcelona (and Madrid) so you need to allow time and budget for that!
Thank you for your suggestions. I am just reading up about that route and it looks like a really good option. I am fluent in French but will need to hit the books to improve my minimal Spanish in the months ahead. This will be our first time travelling to Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From eastern North America, it can take up to 6 days for your body to fully recover from jetlag from crossing 6 time zones. I try to keep my minimum time from North America to Europe to be at least 2 weeks. You'll need even more recovery time if flying from western North America.

Yes, you can go to Europe for a shorter duration, but you will be constantly fighting jetlag there and on the way home. I find it much better to safe up for a longer trip.

-Paul

I’ve often walked short stretches of the Frances flying into Madrid which gives easy access and egress to and from Pamplona; Logrono; Burgos; Leon; Sarria and Santiago.
To the OP, @Devil Pastry, I suggest what Henry's owner says; to fly into Madrid. I think you will have the best situation to walk the most days with less logistics getting to a quick starting point if walking is your goal. My opinion is to get to SJPdP (or Pamplona) asap, and walk as far as you can to a major city/connection to Barcelona. There should be quite a few options at that point to get to Barcelona.

Last edited:
From eastern North America, it can take up to 6 days for your body to fully recover from jetlag from crossing 6 time zones. I try to keep my minimum time from North America to Europe to be at least 2 weeks. You'll need even more recovery time if flying from western North America.

Yes, you can go to Europe for a shorter duration, but you will be constantly fighting jetlag there and on the way home. I find it much better to safe up for a longer trip.

-Paul
Hi Paul. Yes I agree. Our one week camino is part of a longer trip. It was going to be the beginning part but now I am rethinking…maybe it should be the finale…Lots of time to keep refining the plan ! 😊

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
To the OP, @Devil Pastry, I suggest what Henry's owner says; to fly into Madrid. I think you will have the best situation to walk the most days with less logistics getting to a quick starting point if walking is your goal. My opinion is to get to SJPdP (or Pamplina) asap, walk as far as you can. There should be quite a few options at that point to get to Barcelona.
Thank you @Camino Chrissy. All good points . BTW what is « the OP »?

Well, my name is Elizabeth Claire and my birthday is June 6. As a child my father used to bring home a box of eclaires for the family every payday. Of course, I thought those pastries were chosen specially for me. Years ago when I created my first email address I chose eclaire66. Since the system informed me that the address was already taken, I added the third 6. Soon thereafter my friends nicknamed me Devil Pastry. And there it is. Can I go now? 😂

brilliant.. I'm laughing my *** off here now

I don´t think Muxia to Santiago qualifies you for a compostela as it is not a recognized pilgrimage route. You could think about the Camino Inglés from Ferrol. It is a nice walk, 4 - 6 days depending how fast you walk, it has good infrastructure, you´ll meet people and the start point is fairly easy to get to from Santiago.

Last edited:
I don´t think Muxia to Santiago qualifies you for a compostela as it is not a recognized pilgrimage route.
I'm pretty sure that it does qualify so long as you walk at least 100 km by walking either Muxía - Fisterra - Santiago or Fisterra - Muxia - Santiago.

¨Even those taking the Camino to Finisterre and Muxía in the reverse direction (towards Santiago) can get the Compostela if they take the coastal stage of the Camino between Muxía and Finisterre and complete the rest of the route to the Galician capital.¨
I stand corrected.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back