• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice On Sleeping Bag Alternative Please

F

Former member 62607

Any suggestions for a restless sleeper who can't stand the confines of a sleeping bag, yet the albergue blankets are not enough? I have a silk liner but need something more, and lighter than my bag was. Please advise where to buy online if you have a suggestion.
Thanks in anticipation!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Costco.com has Double Black Diamond duvets that are terrific. 2 for 30$ when I looked a few days ago for two pilgrims who saw mine and qanted one.

It's a bit short, as it's meant to be used while sitting, but at 5'4" it's perfect for me. I have it attached to my silk liner with snap buttons so ot doesn't fall on the floor at night.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Costco.com has Double Black Diamond duvets that are terrific. 2 for 30$ when I looked a few days ago for two pilgrims who saw mine and qanted one.

It's a bit short, as it's meant to be used while sitting, but at 5'4" it's perfect for me. I have it attached to my silk liner with snap buttons so ot doesn't fall on the floor at night.
Thankyou

Hi @evanscl - although not one of the ultralight models, I have used this on my last 4 caminos and love it! http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/travelpak-traveller It opens to a quilt and is warm enough in combination with my double silk liner. On very cold nights I zip into a sleeping bag and wear an extra layer of clothes.
Thanks. I think my current one is about same weight but it doesn't open up to be a blanket- should have thought it through better!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What about a poncho liner?? They are fairly long, have tie on the edges and have enough fiberfill to be useful. Plus they are cheap, at $30 or so and you get your choice of camo deigns! What more could you ask for? Well, they also come in a basic brown(coyote to the military trade).

cvixx (the quite elderly)

Any suggestions for a restless sleeper who can't stand the confines of a sleeping bag, yet the albergue blankets are not enough? I have a silk liner but need something more, and lighter than my bag was. Please advise where to buy online if you have a suggestion.
Thanks in anticipation!
I bought this down bag on ebay after buying several others on amazon and sending them back almost immediately. I bought the one with 500gms of down and it does open up flat. Bargain price of $69.00 Check it out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23220886293...49&var=531419140374&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I hate mummy bags too. I have seen this and am very tempted. It's only 788g but very expensive.
Yes I looked at a link to that one earlier. I'm hoping for something even lighter if possible, but thanks. I think I'd be happy to invest in a good one as I sit with a blanket in winter anyway as its draughty in our house

If you want quality and lightness and don't mind the price too much then I would go with an Enlightened Equipment bag as someone has already mentioned. The only thing is they usually have about a one month backlog but do offer a limited selection of "off the shelf" bags. Being that this is a very busy time of year for the hiking crowd you may have a limited selection and have to order and wait. I have a 20 degree Revelation that I love and paid about $300 for it. I got the regular/extra wide.

I'm taking the Aegismax cheapo with me as if it gets damaged/stolen whatever then I'm not out that much. Plus I really don't think it's all that heavy... maybe 26 oz or so?? You're not going to get much less than that with one costing 3-4 times as much but to each their own.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What about a poncho liner?? They are fairly long, have tie on the edges and have enough fiberfill to be useful. Plus they are cheap, at $30 or so and you get your choice of camo deigns! What more could you ask for? Well, they also come in a basic brown(coyote to the military trade).

Where can I get them? I live in the UK so most US sites won't ship here. I've read about them on backpacking sites ( US ones).thanks for the help.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I like them (EE) because of the verticle baffle design. Keeps the down in place much better than the horizontal baffle designs. I had a Jacks r Better with the horizontal baffles, about the same price as the EE and hated it. I hiked here in the south in very damp weather, the bag never did get wet but even though it was treated down it compressed a lot while sleeping. That with the shifting down and I was afraid of getting hypothermic on more than one night. Another thing when looking for a bag a lot of the temp ratings are only manufacturers "guesstimates" usually very generous. To get an honest rating you really need a EN rated bag ( European Norm) google it. Now EE is not EN but I feel it is very close to what they say.

Where can I get them? I live in the UK so most US sites won't ship here. I've read about them on backpacking sites ( US ones).thanks for the help.
You can always have someone in the US order one for you and ship it to you. I don't think it'll add a hell of a lot to the total $$.

I bought this down bag on ebay after buying several others on amazon and sending them back almost immediately. I bought the one with 500gms of down and it does open up flat. Bargain price of $69.00 Check it out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232208862936?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=531419140374&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I've just looked at it, thanks, now I'm overwhelmed with choice, but it's amazing what a great resource of purchasing knowledge is available through this forum. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Being overwhelmed by hiking equipment is the curse of the tramper. Seems like I settle on one piece, yup, that's it. That's my choice and I'm sticking with it. Only to have a cup of coffee, change my mind and get back on the computer. The amazon, no hassle return policy has been a godsend for guys like me.

Okay, I'm outta here. I have exhausted/spent all my sleeping bag knowledge. LOL Good luck mate and try not to go too crazy in the selection process like blokes like me do.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Being overwhelmed by hiking equipment is the curse of the tramper. Seems like I settle on one piece, yup, that's it. That's my choice and I'm sticking with it. Only to have a cup of coffee, change my mind and get back on the computer. The amazon, no hassle return policy has been a godsend for guys like me.
Your picture looks like you have everything including the kitchen sink for sure! Some of my choices have been good, some could have been better (lighter) but it's swings and roundabouts- I carried a kagoule and waterproof trousers for nine days but on the one day of freezing rain and wind All day it seemed worthwhile to have done so.

Thanks in anticipation!
I'm planning to walk the CF this fall (first timer) and am considering the Kelty Bestie Blanket. At 1lb 8 oz it's lighter than the sleeping bag I already have. I like the suggestion someone here made about fastening the blanket to the liner; that's very clever. I've looked at the temperature/weather data for Sept & am not sure just how much cover I'll need at night or how cold the albuerges without blankets get.

Yes, those would make a great lightweight, warmer weather Camino sleeping setup. I have a couple of them from military days and was thinking of having one stitched up along the bottom and up the side to about 3/4 of the way up. Would make it fall into the category of in between a sleeping bag liner and a summer weight sleeping bag. I think they weigh about 624 grams.
Also their dimensions are 82"x 62".....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning to walk the CF this fall (first timer) and am considering the Kelty Bestie Blanket. At 1lb 8 oz it's lighter than the sleeping bag I already have. I like the suggestion someone here made about fastening the blanket to the liner; that's very clever. I've looked at the temperature/weather data for Sept & am not sure just how much cover I'll need at night or how cold the albuerges without blankets get.
I've looked it up online, looks good, thanks.
now, after all the suggestions, I simply have to decide which one!

I have an Enlightened Equipment Revelation. It is light, high quality, but expensive.

thats a useful tip about the snap buttons. I might have found a similar duvet so could do the same. Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I hate mummy bags too. I have seen this and am very tempted. It's only 788g but very expensive.
I have the MH flip bag and used it last year on the CF (April-May). It worked perfect. It is roomier than a normal mummy bag. I leave in three days and taking it again.

On my May 2016 Camino, I did not take a sleeping bag. What I took was an ultra light mountaineering bivy sack, and a set of mountaineering puffy insulated belay pants. The Belay pants were great. Warm ultra compact, extreme light weight, etc. I have done glacier mountaineering and rock climbing. Usually, the gear is ultra light weight and ultra compact. Bulk is almost as troublesome as weight. If it can keep you warm enough to survive on a glacier, it is more than good enough to comfort you inside a building.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/msr/e-bivy/

The belay pants I have are no longer manufactured, but similar to the following.

https://www.backcountry.com/patagon...bnN1bGF0ZWQgUGFudHM6MToxOmJjc0NhdDExMTAwNDY=#

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have the MH flip bag and used it last year on the CF (April-May). It worked perfect. It is roomier than a normal mummy bag. I leave in three days and taking it again.
Have a good walkthanks for the advice

On my May 2016 Camino, I did not take a sleeping bag. What I took was an ultra light mountaineering bivy sack, and a set of mountaineering puffy insulated belay pants. The Belay pants were great. Warm ultra compact, extreme light weight, etc. I have done glacier mountaineering and rock climbing. Usually, the gear is ultra light weight and ultra compact. Bulk is almost as troublesome as weight. If it can keep you warm enough to survive on a glacier, it is more than good enough to comfort you inside a building.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/msr/e-bivy/

The belay pants I have are no longer manufactured, but similar to the following.

https://www.backcountry.com/patagon...bnN1bGF0ZWQgUGFudHM6MToxOmJjc0NhdDExMTAwNDY=#
Interesting idea, I think the bivvy sack would be the same problem with being confined for me tho but someone else reading this might take it up, so always useful to share. The trousers look good. Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After toting a sleeping bag on my first two Camino's, I switched to carrying a microfiber liner instead. It is smaller, lighter, machine washable and provides the warmth I NEED in May.

After several experiments, my solution was an Alps Engineering rectangular sleeping bag liner. It has a full separating zipper and can be mated to a second, identical, liner to form a two-person sleep sack.

It is VERY small and light. Once I learned to fold it and stash it in a one-gallon ziplock bag, it rides nicely in my rucksack for when I need it.

I prefer to be slightly cool when I sleep. Also, needing to use the toilet several times during the night, I need the quick opening full zip feature...:eek:

This liner is also available in a mummy-shaped version.

I hope this helps.

Than
After toting a sleeping bag on my first two Camino's, I switched to carrying a microfiber liner instead. It is smaller, lighter, machine washable and provides the warmth I NEED in May.

After several experiments, my solution was an Alps Engineering rectangular sleeping bag liner. It has a full separating zipper and can be mated to a second, identical, liner to form a two-person sleep sack.

It is VERY small and light. Once I learned to fold it and stash it in a one-gallon ziplock bag, it rides nicely in my rucksack for when I need it.

I prefer to be slightly cool when I sleep. Also, needing to use the toilet several times during the night, I need the quick opening full zip feature...:eek:

This liner is also available in a mummy-shaped version.

I hope this helps.
Thankyou, I'll look that one up

My plan is to sew poppers onto the inside hems of my silk liner and sew the other side onto a decathlon microfibre blanket such that I can add an extra layer if I need it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dang, I misspoke again! The alternative to microfiber is poly cotton. This is not recommended for Camino use as it gets wet and stays wet longer.

But, if you play with the above link, you can also find the mummy shaped liner...

Again, sorry for the mistake.

I hope this helps.

Dang, I misspoke again! The alternative to microfiber is poly cotton. This is not recommended for Camino use as it gets wet and stays wet longer.

But, if you play with the above link, you can also find the mummy shaped liner...

Again, sorry for the mistake.

I hope this helps.
Thankyou

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I hate being confined in a bag too, and it's been challenging finding equipment that's affordable and lightweight. I've been looking at a snugpak jungle blanket. It's 25 ounces (.7 k), ultra compact, and under $40. The reviews are good.

I hate being confined in a bag too, and it's been challenging finding equipment that's affordable and lightweight. I've been looking at a snugpak jungle blanket. It's 25 ounces (.7 k), ultra compact, and under $40. The reviews are good.
Thanks for that, I'm still considering my options as won't need one again until October so all suggestions will get followed up as I'm in no hurry.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.