• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on spending night in Bordeaux or continue to SJPP?

thisissula

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello! Starting my Camino with a flight into Bordeaux arriving at 2:45 pm. I am considering spending the night there and starting in the next morning in order to reach Orisson and rest there for the night. Anyone have thoughts on this? I can also continue to STJPP and spend the night there. I'd like to stay the night in Orisson but can be convinced otherwise. Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello! Starting my Camino with a flight into Bordeaux arriving at 2:45 pm. I am considering spending the night there and starting in the next morning in order to reach Orisson and rest there for the night. Anyone have thoughts on this? I can also continue to STJPP and spend the night there. I'd like to stay the night in Orisson but can be convinced otherwise. Thank you!
Hi @thisissula , and welcome to the forum

There’s a lot to be said for taking your time, especially if you have been traveling from the States, as you’re sure to be jet-lagged.
Given your schedule you’ll have time to get to SJPDP and settle in for a good night’s rest after a good meal.
Do you have a reservation at Orisson? If so that will dictate when and where you stay that particular night.
If you’re looking for advice, I know I’m not the only one who would advise taking your time, but there may be others whose experience has shown them other ways of approaching this topic, this mountain.
All the best, and Buen Camino,
Paul

Do you mean you are traveling from Bordeaux to SJPP, via Bayonne/Biarritz? That might be harder to do on the same day as your flight arrival. Even the next day would involve several hours of travel plus the walk to Orisson. (I am just wondering if you meant to say you were flying into Biarritz airport.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh… I did this. I landed on a KLM flight at about that time, took the bus across town to the train station, took some great photos, picked up a few things at the Hema shop, and had a snack in the cafe.

And I have to say that I was *so* jet-lagged that I stood on the track at the Bordeaux train station and *watched* all the people with backpacks getting on the train to go to SJPdP and thought to myself, “Oh look at all the hikers getting on the train” and I myself did NOT get on the train.

:O

The train departed and I went to ask the track attendants when the SJPdP train would be arriving…. They helped me exchange my ticket for the first train out the next morning *and* the ticket attendant directed me to the very tidy hotel across the street. It was an Ibis hotel IIRC.

I got the sleep I so desperately needed and started fresh in the morning.

Take the pressure of yourself. You won’t be able to move your bones up the mountain the following day from your flight *anyway*. Sleep in Bordeaux, have a nice day in St. Jean… sleep in St. Jean, and then *ultriea*.

Jet lag and fatigue can substantially increase the risk of errors, accidents, and injury on the first day or two after landing. In my opinion, one would be prudent to take it easy getting from the airport to SJPdP and onwards to Orisson, assuming that the latter has space available.

Regular life is full of enforced rushing. There is a school of thought to the effect that the Camino is specifically for not rushing.

Thank you for your thoughts! I am coming from Athens so I should be sort of on European time. You have convinced me that trying to walk to Orisson on the same day is not a good idea (and perhaps not possible). My options then are to stay the night in Bordeaux or SJPDP? Is Orission worth spending the night in? I read that waking up there is fantastic.
Also, I am so excitingly terrified. I have faith that this will work out somehow in the end- but between fear of the unknown, fear of covid, fear of shutdowns, I am so nervous. I begin on July 22.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for your thoughts! I am coming from Athens so I should be sort of on European time. You have convinced me that trying to walk to Orisson on the same day is not a good idea (and perhaps not possible). My options then are to stay the night in Bordeaux or SJPDP? Is Orission worth spending the night in? I read that waking up there is fantastic.
Also, I am so excitingly terrified. I have faith that this will work out somehow in the end- but between fear of the unknown, fear of covid, fear of shutdowns, I am so nervous. I begin on July 22.
It will be fine. Bordeaux sounds lovely. Perhaps head to Bayonne from Bordeaux, spend the night, then take the little train up to SJPdP for another night (I stayed at Gite Azkorria, nice owner, homemade bread and hearty breakfast), then take your time climbing to Orrison (book in early!) Ease your way into the Camino. Orisson is a great stopover and you'll meet kindred spirits there, which I bet will put a lot of fears to rest.

And It IS excitingly terrifying, in the best way!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve spent the night in Bordeaux, or you can get to Bayonne and stay overnight there. You can resume traveling next day with the train to St Jean from Bayonne, or another mode, e.g. a shared taxi.
As for Orrison, it may be fully booked. You should check before you get there, as your plans could change. The Pilgrim Office in St. Jean may be able to help you find out whether there are openings there.

You may be in better shape after your flight from Athens (via Paris?) than folks who have a long-haul flight, but I guess you will still be somewhat frazzled. Staying in Bordeaux is not a bad option, but perhaps you will have enough energy to get a little closer to SJPP that day - One possibility is to travel from Bordeaux to Bayonne that day. Staying there will allow you to take a morning train to SJPP. You would have time to visit the pilgrim's office, have lunch, and walk to Orisson.

I think that this would make for a relatively unrushed and comfortable start to the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bordeaux is on a Camino (Voie Tours) and has it own connections with Saint Jacques. There are brass shells showing the route through the city.

If you have the time and the inclination you can start your Camino from there.

A guide

I live not far from Bordeaux and have walked from St Jean a few times... each time I’ve driven down to St Jean in the morning, started walking to Orisson at midday and arrived in plenty of time for a rest, drinks and to make ready for the evening meal. Orisson is a great stop and I would recommend it.

I’ve never spent the night in St Jean but I’m walking again this September and plan to do just that... I’m going to take the train to Bayonne and spend the night there too... as I’ve not done this either. And I’d like to experience the train ride to St Jean.

I love Bordeaux... it’s a beautiful city but if you only have a few hours there I’d be inclined to take the train to Bayonne... sleep there and take the St Jean train in the morning.

whatever you choose you’ll have a wonderful time ❤️

Starting my Camino with a flight into Bordeaux arriving at 2:45 pm. I am considering spending the night there and starting in the next morning in order to reach Orisson and rest there for the night. Anyone have thoughts on this? I can also continue to STJPP and spend the night there.
How do you plan to get from Bordeaux airport to SJPP? I looked at the current train schedules. With your arrival time you cannot get to SJPP by train. You will arrive at Bayonne at 18:47 at the earliest, and would then need to get a taxi to arrive around an hour later in SJPP, so say not before 8 pm.

I'd stay in Bordeaux. The Ibis opposite the train station is a good and convenient choice. You can take the tram to explore Bordeaux a bit and then take the train or train/taxi to SJPP the next morning, stroll around a bit if there's time, walk to Orisson. Book it!

Slow travel. Start slow travel from the start of your trip instead of rushing to SJPP as fast as you can.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Always remember that if you cannot get booked into Orrisson, that the Valcarlos route is shockingly lovely, full of shaded forest, still climbs to within a few dozen metres of the height of the Napoleon route, is sheltered from the wind, and has a village full of fresh food, hot food, cold drinks, patisserie and boulangerie etc…. And a very tidy/large albergue that is never overrun.

Whether you stay overnight or not, note that there is a tram that goes from the airport all the way to the Bordeaux train station.

Because we had never visited Bordeaux, my wife and I stayed there for 2-3 nights before taking a train and then a bus back to the GR65 (the Le Puy route). Our B&B was located just off a tram stop, so the trip into town from the airport and eventually on to the train station was easy and economical.

One morning of our stay, we happened upon a bunch of canopy tents set up in a small town square. The tents were for town residents (and us) to avail themselves of massage and physical therapy by students at a nearby school for physical therapy. What a lucky find!

Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you have the time, it’s worthwhile spending a night in both Bordeaux and SJPDP for different reasons. Bordeaux is a lovely city. SJPDP is a pilgrim/hikers mecca.

I would say that if you can get into SJPP at a reasonable hour like before 6 or so then go there. I would highly recommend staying at
You will have a memorable experience there. I have walked 5000k on different caminos and it is at the top of the list.
If you are in good shape then the walk to Roncesvalles is of course very doable. It is tough. If you want to stay in Orison check Gronze for your options and as someone said there is a new albergue open there also.
If you are sleeping in Roncesvalles make sure you make a reservation:

In fact however you decide to walk and where to stop make reservations at least through Roncesvalles.
I think walking the most crowded camino during a Covid camino would necessitate doing just that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We flew into Paris, overnighted there, trained to Biarritz, spent the night there, and then onto SJPP and stayed the night there. It afforded us a dew days to get our internal clocks adjusted. We are from Canada. Our first day took us to Orrison, and that was enough for day one. Its mostly (all)uphill, and day two was to Roncesvalles. Some of the younger ones did Roncesvalles in one day, but we are glad we took our time.
Its a great journey. Buen Camino.

If you do stay in Bordeaux, check out the incredible Water Mirror--the largest in the world. Only about an inch deep so you can walk in it--or watch others dance in it.

Attachments

• 2019-05-27_04-20-48_1393_EOSVezelay.JPG
    2019-05-27_04-20-48_1393_EOSVezelay.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 16
Most very good advise has already been given here. As a former resident nearby the city, I recommend a good night in BOD. Hotel Mama Shelter has a brilliant rooftop terrace with good Pizza.

Attachments

• mama-shelter-bordeau-1180x560.jpg
    mama-shelter-bordeau-1180x560.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 12
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I suggest, along the lines of what other have said, that you spend the night in Bordeaux or Bayonne (perhaps the best) and rest up. Catch the train to SJPP, look around and get your credential stamped and head up to Orsison. It is a tough climb but you can take your time and soak in the magnificent views. Then a good sleep after the community supper and you are on your way to Roncesvalles or beyond. We got to Espinal and then had a long day into Pamplona on Day 3. All perfectly doable with three sleeps after arriving from North America.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just by way of a side bar. It was in Orisson, our first night, that we met our Camino Family, and we've stayed in touch to this day.

Oh… I did this. I landed on a KLM flight at about that time, took the bus across town to the train station, took some great photos, picked up a few things at the Hema shop, and had a snack in the cafe.

And I have to say that I was *so* jet-lagged that I stood on the track at the Bordeaux train station and *watched* all the people with backpacks getting on the train to go to SJPdP and thought to myself, “Oh look at all the hikers getting on the train” and I myself did NOT get on the train.

:O

The train departed and I went to ask the track attendants when the SJPdP train would be arriving…. They helped me exchange my ticket for the first train out the next morning *and* the ticket attendant directed me to the very tidy hotel across the street. It was an Ibis hotel IIRC.

I got the sleep I so desperately needed and started fresh in the morning.

Take the pressure of yourself. You won’t be able to move your bones up the mountain the following day from your flight *anyway*. Sleep in Bordeaux, have a nice day in St. Jean… sleep in St. Jean, and then *ultriea*.
Wow, What a story. Really shows how spaced we can be after transatlantic flight. No point in pushing ourselves. Usually derails somewhere… very cute. And a good ending.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back