• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on stages - Porto to Santiago in 8 days

jkontheway

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2018)
Kumano Kodo (2019)
Portugues (2020)
Hi! I am planning to walk the Camino Portuguese in a couple of weeks and would love some advice on stages. I live in Lisbon, and am an active person (happy with long walking days of 40km). I walked the CF a few years ago.

My constraints:
  • I will be starting from Porto (Day 1)
  • By the end of Day 4 I should arrive near Vigo or nearby (I have a friend joining me who is arriving late at night by plane in Vigo)
  • Would like to arrive in Santiago on Day 8

So far I figured out:

Day 1: Porto-
Day 2:
Day 3:
Day 4:
Day 5: Vigo-Pontevedra (34km)
Day 6: Pontevedra-Caldas de Reis (23km)
Day 7: Caldas de Reis-Padron (19km)
Day 8: Padron-Santiago dlC (25km)

I would like to see as much coast as possible, but also open to inland routes. I am aware that the ferry might not be running so would probably like to avoid this option. Any advice, especially on the best route to reach Vigo in four days would be appreciated!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, are you happy doing 4 x40km days in a row? Because Porto to Vigo is about 160km! You can get an idea of distances and nearest towns/stops on Gronze, which has info for the Central route. The Costa and Litoral routes are slightly longer. (In case you don't know, the Litoral is basically the walk along the beach, and it's not the same thing as the Costa. Although the routes are never very far apart).

For your first day: if you are willing to/ need to cut down on kms, you can catch the metro to 'Vilar de Pinheiros' to start the Central, or to 'Mercado' to start the Litoral at Matosinhos. Lots of people choose the Litoral route for this first stage, as it's a nice walk along the Duoro until you reach the sea and then you just continue walking close to the beach. You'll probably get as far as Vila do Conde (34km) on this first day, but if you can manage it you could walk all the way to Rates which is a further 12kms away. Rates is back on the Central, but it's not too difficult to make the link by walking from the coast towards Arcos and then following the signs from there.

Hopefully others will have suggestions for Days 2-4!

Hi! Thanks for responding! That's helpful. I'm OK with doing 4x40km, had a few of those days on the CF and it was totally fine. :)

Looking at Gronze, maybe I could do:

Day 1: Porto - Póvoa de Varzim (38.5 km)
Day 2: Póvoa de Varzim - Viana do Castelo (45.3 km)
Day 3: Viana do Castelo - Baiona (35 km)
Day 4: Baiona - Vigo (via Camino Litoral) (25.3 km)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bom caminho! My wife and I are hoping to start from Lisbon (where we also live) on Sep 1st, pending the finalising of a real estate matter beforehand. If our paths don't happen to cross along the way, maybe we can meet up back in Lisbon afterwards and swap stories?

Sure! That's exciting that you are starting from Lisbon - when do you think you will reach Porto? How far are you planning to go?

Hi! Thanks for responding! That's helpful. I'm OK with doing 4x40km, had a few of those days on the CF and it was totally fine. :)

Oh I've just seen that Gronze also has info about coastal variant, sorry I missed that before!

Your route looks workable, although I've just checked my Brierley guide and it has the distance between Póvoa de Varzim and Viana as closer to 50km! Gulp 😳 Also, just so long as you're aware the Central is the ancient/traditional path, so by bypassing this you'll be missing out on some of the historic camino towns and villages along the way (although I fully understand the urge to walk next to the sea!)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh I've just seen that Gronze also has info about coastal variant, sorry I missed that before!

Your route looks workable, although I've just checked my Brierley guide and it has the distance between Póvoa de Varzim and Viana as closer to 50km! Gulp 😳 Also, just so long as you're aware the Central is the ancient/traditional path, so by bypassing this you'll be missing out on some of the historic camino towns and villages along the way (although I fully understand the urge to walk next to the sea!)
I had one or two 50km days on the Frances, and whilst I was exhausted, I managed (fueled by a looooot of baguettes!). Good point regarding the route, maybe I should do a bit more research into the routes in case I'm missing any special places. The good thing about living in Portugal is that I can always come back to these spots!

Sure! That's exciting that you are starting from Lisbon - when do you think you will reach Porto? How far are you planning to go?

We’ve made a rough outline of short stages of up to 25km as my wife has plantar fasciitis and walks in pain beyond that threshold, so it looks like we won’t reach Porto until about the 20th (assuming a couple of rest days). Hoping to make it to Santiago pending the virus situation in Spain at the time.

We’ve made a rough outline of short stages of up to 25km as my wife has plantar fasciitis and walks in pain beyond that threshold, so it looks like we won’t reach Porto until about the 20th (assuming a couple of rest days). Hoping to make it to Santiago pending the virus situation in Spain at the time.
I'll be starting on the 13th from Porto - so we probably won't cross. Keep me posted on your travels! And yes, I'm keeping an eye on Spain too... I saw they were trying to pass a law to make mask wearing obligatory outside, and that would probably impact my desire to want to walk through Spain.

Do you know if there is a place to get the pilgrim's passport in Lisbon?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've done Porto to Santiago following the Littoral /Coastal route in 8 days without a problem but my stages were longer than the ones you posted for the last part. The first part was more or less what you posted for day one and two.

Be sure to check the albergue situation cause here on the Francés many are closed.

I look forward to doing the CP again. This next time doing the Littoral but still starting in Lisbon again. There are some wonderful places to see and some real beauty on the interior route north of Porto. Lots more people start in Porto as opposed to Lisbon. I have never seen a survey of why they choose Porto more. I know for some it is time constraints but maybe for the majority it is the perception that the walk from Lisbon is not very nice and alot of road walking. There is alot of road walking throughout the CP. I do agree the first few stages are not the most ecstatically pleasing out of Lisbon. But I have told people who have asked me that if they dont want to start in Lisbon and they have time they may want to think about starting in Coimbra or even Tomar. They are both really lovely cities. I think the scenery starts to improve little by little from Tomar to Porto. Just a thought

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've done Porto to Santiago following the Littoral /Coastal route in 8 days without a problem but my stages were longer than the ones you posted for the last part. The first part was more or less what you posted for day one and two.

Be sure to check the albergue situation cause here on the Francés many are closed.
Thank you! I'm going to have to plan a little closer to the time and call to make sure the albergues are actually open... :)

I'll be starting on the 13th from Porto - so we probably won't cross. Keep me posted on your travels! And yes, I'm keeping an eye on Spain too... I saw they were trying to pass a law to make mask wearing obligatory outside, and that would probably impact my desire to want to walk through Spain.

Do you know if there is a place to get the pilgrim's passport in Lisbon?
You can also get one at the Pilgrim Hostel in Porto.

You can also order one here from Ivar. Many have ordered from Ivar worldwide without any issues. If you order a guidebook you will get a free credential with it. Just look at the top of any page and you will see on the left side Camino guidebooks or Camino Passport.

You can also get one at the Pilgrim Hostel in Porto.

You can also order one here from Ivar. Many have ordered from Ivar worldwide without any issues. If you order a guidebook you will get a free credential with it. Just look at the top of any page and you will see on the left side Camino guidebooks or Camino Passport.
Thank you! I bought a guidebook for the CF but ended up not using it that much, so I'm considering to save the weight this time and do without. :) I'll probably get the passport from Porto!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We got credencials at Lisbon Cathederal - Largo da Sé, 1100-585 Lisboa, Portugal.

Just bought mine from there today. When I asked for it at the little cathedral shop, the man took out a Hush Puppies shoebox from under the counter and a pile of credentials were inside!

Last edited:
Just bought mine from there today. When I asked for it at the little cathedral shop, the man took out a Hush Puppies shoebox from under the counter and a pile of credentials were inside!
Oooooh! How much are they? Only a couple of Euros right?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you! I bought a guidebook for the CF but ended up not using it that much, so I'm considering to save the weight this time and do without. :) I'll probably get the passport from Porto!
If you want you can download the Buen Camino or Wise Pilgrim app for the CP. I believe they are both free and they have listings of albergues/pensions and hotels as well as a GPS. Use Gronze.com also. The more resources you have for places to sleep the better especially in these Covid times. Always call ahead no matter what is probably the best policy now. Everything is so fluid.

The distance between Viana do Castelo and Baiona is not 35km. It's around 60!

The distance between Viana do Castelo and Baiona is not 35km. It's around 60!
I realised that too this morning. I'm not sure what I did wrong in my calculation. Thanks. :)

I've updated my stages to include an extra day:

Day 1: Porto Póvoa de Varzim 38.5
Day 2: Póvoa de Varzim Barcelos 25
Day 3: Barcelos Ponte de Lima 35
Day 4: Ponte de Lima Tui 40
Day 5: Tui Redondela 36

If anyone has any recommendations on places to stay in any of these, that would be great!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

I have just booked my flight and first night accommodation in Lisbon on 30th September so stepping out on the Camino Portuguese on Thursday 1st October. Very excited and keeping everything crossed that Portugal remains on the UK exemption list until I get there! Just wondered if anyone knows if the Gronze website is up to date with albergues that are currently open - or if there is a better resource that's kept more up to date? I have a couple of Aps as well (Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino), but not sure which to trust. If you guys ahead of me have any issues and/or suggestions etc, I'd be happy to hear them.

Hi all,

I have just booked my flight and first night accommodation in Lisbon on 30th September so stepping out on the Camino Portuguese on Thursday 1st October. Very excited and keeping everything crossed that Portugal remains on the UK exemption list until I get there! Just wondered if anyone knows if the Gronze website is up to date with albergues that are currently open - or if there is a better resource that's kept more up to date? I have a couple of Aps as well (Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino), but not sure which to trust. If you guys ahead of me have any issues and/or suggestions etc, I'd be happy to hear them.

Bom caminho! I am starting from Lisbon the day after tomorrow and will provide updates here about albergue openings etc and whether Gronze is up to date or not. From Gronze I see that closed albergues include Rabaçal, São João da Madeira, Ponte de Lima, Rubiães and Pontevedra. An apparently updated list from Porto only can be found here.

Bom caminho! I am starting from Lisbon the day after tomorrow and will provide updates here about albergue openings etc and whether Gronze is up to date or not. From Gronze I see that closed albergues include Rabaçal, São João da Madeira, Ponte de Lima, Rubiães and Pontevedra. An apparently updated list from Porto only can be found here.
Bom Caminho Nick! I hope you and your wife have a good time. Keep me posted on how you both get on!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the info, Ill look forward to reading your updates. News from UK is that Portugal is likely to be removed from the exemption list any time now! So frustrating - but I think I'll just go anyway and quarantine on my return if necessary.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back