Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on starting from El Acebo

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have been perusing maps here in León, and I have to say that I find the option of El Acebo to Peñalba de Santiago to As Médulas quite daunting. I know that Rebekah did this route, hats off to you, girl, but it looks to me like it is out there in the middle of absolutely nowhere, especially the second day. If Reb or anyone else who has done this happens to see this post, I´d appreciate any advice or information on what I would be getting myself into. I don´t have a compass or a map with elevations, just a plain old highway map that the office of turismo of Castilla and León gives out for free. I am not sure I´m equipped to undertake this, but I would love to hear more, because I am sure it is beautiful.
Thanks much, buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
hello laurie!

I did the first part of it, to penalba, two years ago (2009), after the instructions of tomas from manjarin. he draw me a map/sketch with approximate distances and important landmarks, and I didn't have any problems finding my way. this is, however, different from the route rebekah took, which goes from compludo south along the valley to palacios and a village on b then across a ridge to penalba. this is now waymarked, as I understand, and there is a page somewhere on the net, sth about a route aroung ponferrada (she has the link, I can't find it).

I descended to herreria de compludo on the road because the man in el acebo shop said that the path is a bit confusing and very steep. I saw on the bottom some blue arrows pointing up towards el acebo. so maybe it is waymarked?

then the road to compludo (fountain, bar, casa rural) and from there a gravel road right up, signposted espinoso, to espinoso de compludo (fountain, casa rural). this way very hot in the morning sun.
however, visiting herreria, I saw a path and signpost pointing up along the hill towards espinoso, and when I arrived in espinoso, I saw a similar signpost pointing down in the direction of herreria (it had molinos de espinoso written on it). I think this is worth exploring as you would avoid all the road walk and have the morning shade for the 300m plus climb to espinoso.
in the shop in el acebo I found a leaflet for a kind of albergue in espinoso - refugio los hilos, 0696/083-732.

then the part where you are most likely to get a bit lost. leaving espinoso and past the signpost for ponferrada, there is a bend with two roads/tracks going off left, the left going to a house. take the right track which soon passes some fine old trees (chestnuts, if I am not mistaken). then you cross a closed-off pasture and keep to the main track, eventually descending to a stream valley. here you have to turn R before a grove of big trees, to a path that climbs to the ridge ahead. there are plenty of cow paths aroud here, but if you keep to the main one, it should be ok. after the ridge there is another similar valley with similar grove of big trees you have to turn right before. tha path is quite rocky in parts and on top of the second ridge I even found a wooden signpost. then a fine track meanders towards san cristobal that you see ahead.
I came just in time for the bread-van (around noon), and there is a restaurant on the right and a fountain on the left. and casa rural.

turn left uphill on the main road until you reach a water reservoir. veer right here on the second gravel road past a light pole (above a village you can see below in a valley) that is pretty much level but gets you encountered with every nook and crannie of the slopes you cross. it has stupenduous views, though, and at last it drops down to penalba. a couple of streams along.
I stayed in penalba in fine albergue la masera (E15, or E20 with bedding, 6 beds), with a tiny kitchen to make breakfast in the morning (and a small dinner if you are the only one staying) and hospitalera has keys of the church (a must!). unfortunately I don't have the phone number, but the man in the shop in el acebo seemed to know her (I figured that only later, I think her name was pilar).

I needed around 9h for the route.

from penalba I went to ponferrada on blue-red waymarked senda de los monjes which I lost two times towards the end (horrible waymarking, in reverse too), but I made it to ponferrada safely and tiredly after another 10h. I found the map and description in one of the books in albergue in penalba and sketched it on a peace of paper.
the first part to montes de valdueza (fountain) is also along PR sendero tebaida berciana, with a small detour to cueva de san genadio and a fabulous 300m climb and drop across a ridge with a labyrinth on top.
in montes de valdueza it is possible to sleep in the attic of the village hall - ask mirasol who tends to iglesia.

here you then part left for las medulas. if you would prefer to go to ponferrada, I can give you some tips on that route, too.

if you will take this route, it is absolutely stunning, but you are not so in the middle of nowhere as it sounds. :wink:

buen camino!

Wow! Not sure I can add to that... what a memory for detail! It took me right back.

Laurie, the trail and trail markers you are looking for out of El Acebo begin in the back yard of La Trucha, the vegetarian B&B. It is a wooden pole with an odd little stylized logo on it, it is the the Mirada Circular de Bierzo.. http://www.lamiradacircular.com . Those, and the blue arrows left behind from a Peñalba romeria, are OK guides for the first day. It is a lovely walk, with some pretty breathless climbs!

The second day, from Peñalba to Las Medulas, is the really long, tough, high-altitude one. If I had to do it again, esp. if I did not have a guide of any kind, I would NOT do it, especially on my own -- it is the toughest day of camino-walking this pilg has ever done! :shock: (except maybe that day from Poladura de Tercia to Pajares on the Salvador, when I ran into knee-deep snow..)

Perhaps alternatively you could follow the path recommended above, walking on the Monk´s Path to the next town (it follows a Roman sluice that channeled water to the mines at Las Medulas, and some of the 2,000-year-old steps are still in place -- very steep and difficult in parts, but strikingly beautiful), then taking the marked camino path down to Ponferrada. Like the people warned me starting out that day, it´s "bastante lejos" to Las Medulas!

This is a path that oughtta be seen, but really requires a mule.
My two cents.

Reb.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rebekah Scott said:
Wow! Not sure I can add to that... what a memory for detail! It took me right back.

er :oops: it was one of the most spectacular and memorable days on my camino. but the phone numbers and all that I got from my notes.

if anyone can shed some light for the signposted path from herreria de compludo up to espinoso de compludo (or the other way), it would be quite helpful for my next camino. :D

Wow, this is great advice and a lot of good direction, but it will have to wait till my next Camino, I´m afraid. La Trucha was closed for a year´s worth of renovation, and the hospitalera in El Acebo was quite discouraging, so I just didn´t go for it. I think that the route from El Acebo to Peñalba de Santiago would have been quite do-able, but it´s the second section I am worried about. But one day I will walk into Peñalba de Santiago and see that fabulous church!

And going into Ponferrada and having a night in that very nice efficient clean and comfortable albergue was just fine with me, and the Camino de Invierno from Ponferrada is excellently marked. I´ll write up my Invierno notes when I get home, I have a lot! Laurie

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back