• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on starting VdlP

Dave W96

Time of past OR future Camino
2015,2017,2018,2019 Camino Frances; 2019 Santiago Muxia Finisterra
"2021"vdlp
I hope to walk the VdlP next year. Assuming no adverse problems should I start in March or delay until after Easter. My initial thoughts are for the later date as the route is not so popular and more albergues might be open in April.
Any advice most welcome and thanks in advance.
Dave W96 ( that's not my age)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just loved the Via de la Plata and can't wait to walk it again. I started walking from Seville on 24 April and thought the weather was perfect. It was still quite cold, particularly on the Sanabrés. But each year is different and unpredictable.

For myself, I am not making any plans until there is an effective vaccine for Covid 19, or better treatments. I don't expect that to happen for some time.

Hi Dave W96, I also loved the VdlP. Easter 2021 falls very early in April and so that could have you hitting the road relatively early in April, which is fine. Late April / early May is perfect with one possible downside, it can be hot. Kanga points out that it was still quite cold, particularly on the Sanabrés. The Sanabrés is much further north and I agree, it can be cooler. But down south, that is not the case. Down south you do have to manage heat. April should be fine, but getting into May you will likely have hot days.
Like Kanga, I will have to decide if I go back on the Camino de Levante next year or wait for a vaccine. Waiting will certainly mean at least 2022, perhaps 2023 or beyond. A long time to wait to do something that you love to do.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Kanga and Murraydv , I know everything depends on Covid and there may be more at Seville around Easter with its festivities. If things quieten down perhaps on the road a few days before Easter would be good.

Hi Dave!
I walkest the via in 2018 and started in Sevilla a week before Good Friday. Be prepared that during Semana Santa the Camino can be quite crowded. I expierienced full albergues. Many spanish are on Holiday in this period and use it for some camino stages.
My advice: Come to Sevilla some days before easter and, if possible, stay there a couple of days to watch the impressive processions. Then start your camino on monday and you will find it quiet and peacefull.

Hi Dave!
I walkest the via in 2018 and started in Sevilla a week before Good Friday. Be prepared that during Semana Santa the Camino can be quite crowded. I expierienced full albergues. Many spanish are on Holiday in this period and use it for some camino stages.
My advice: Come to Sevilla some days before easter and, if possible, stay there a couple of days to watch the impressive processions. Then start your camino on monday and you will find it quiet and peacefull.

you could always try starting at Malaga and up to Cordoba and thence to Merida. Not many pilgrims and a beautiful route. As to weather, go local in that you start early and finish before late morning to avoid heat. Then siesta :) and you could carry on if you wish late evening. It will require planning with reference to accommodation unless you consider the tarp/tent option. Keep a very beady eye on hydration! Don't skimp!

Buen Camino and stay safe.

Samarkand.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just loved the Via de la Plata and can't wait to walk it again. I started walking from Seville on 24 April and thought the weather was perfect. It was still quite cold, particularly on the Sanabrés. But each year is different and unpredictable.

For myself, I am not making any plans until there is an effective vaccine for Covid 19, or better treatments. I don't expect that to happen for some time.
I too decided last December that the VDLP was next. I was originally planning a late February early March 2021 start. BUT NO VACCINE NO CAMINO FOR ME. I don't mind walking in the cold. In fact I would rather walk in cold weather than hot. Semana Santa is early next year but I figured I would be past the larger cities by the time it started. Living in Mexico I have seen lots of Semana Santa celebrations and at this point in my life would prefer to be away from the crowds, Covid or no Covid. If there is a vaccine next year but it is not widely available as of course there will be a ramp up for the manufacturing of it I will start my VDLP sometime in mid October. Just have to hope it is not too hot then. Can't wait to walk but I have to wait to be safe and do what is best for all.

Hi Samarkand
Thanks for the idea I will check it out.
Dave

I hope to walk the VdlP next year. Assuming no adverse problems should I start in March or delay until after Easter. My initial thoughts are for the later date as the route is not so popular and more albergues might be open in April.

Hi,

I walked in 2017 & 2019. I started both times in mid April . I found it to be the perfect time to go . Both times , quite by accident I arrived during Semana Santa . It was a nice start to my Camino. Next year Semana Santa runs from 28 March to 3 April .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

This year I walked from Seville to Zamora in sections through the winter. There was accommodation open everywhere and most albergues were open. However, after coronavirus who knows what will be open and when... The advantage of doing the early stages earlier in the year is avoiding the heat.

Thank you everybody for taking the time to respond to my request. I think that wraps it up, I will start immediately after Easter.
Buen Camino and stay safe
Dave
Dave, I am looking at a mid April start date around the 10-14th April should be behind the Easter rush, if we get one, it will allow for me to slow down walk a little slower, as required if its too busy

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Dodger, I would have replied quicker but I had a senior moment and forgot my password. We will be starting about the same time; I am sure we will meet somewhere along the route. You are bound to pass me as I go quite slowly.
Buen Camino
Dave

Hi Dodger, I would have replied quicker but I had a senior moment and forgot my password. We will be starting about the same time; I am sure we will meet somewhere along the route. You are bound to pass me as I go quite slowly.
Buen Camino
Dave
Don’t be surprised I’am not fast, just average as the years are catching up with me. 😂 keep in touch will let you know as my plans firm up, all depends on Covid 🙏

age means you are not fast, but you are getting there in the end...
we are and we will...!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back