• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on walking boots

malie

Would appreciate some advice on walking boots versus walking shoes/trainers. I bought a pair of good sturdy walking boots a couple of months ago and they are nów pretty much worn in and fairly comfortable. The problem is, I also have a pair of wonderful walking trainers that are just so comfortable I hardly know I´m wearing them. I´m starting out from St Jean on Sept. 18th and can´t decide what to take. I know that the trek across the mountain on the first day would mean that the boots would be best (ankle support etc.) but what about after that? Which ones should I take? Any tips?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It really depends on what you feel most comfortable in and usually wear for walks of any distance over varied terrain. I prefer boots because I have ankle problems and just can't do without the support. Even around town for a day's sightseeing I prefer Timberlands or similar. My husband has a bony growth on one foot that make leather boots uncomfortable and he will be wearing suede/fabric approach shoes. I too am leaving SJPDP on Sept 18 (if all goes to plan) so maybe I will see in person which you have opted for.
You still have 2 weeks to decide....have you worn both pairs for a day walk with full pack? Maybe this will be the way to choose....also, are the trainers waterproof? That is something else to consider....
At least you have 2 comfortable pairs and are not still hunting round the shops!
:)

malie said:
good sturdy walking boots ... fairly comfortable.
wonderful walking trainers that are just so comfortable I hardly know I´m wearing them.
Which ones should I take? Any tips?

I prefer light boots with a flexible sole. That said, from reading your message, your choice is between "Fairly Comfortable boots" and shoes "just so comfortable I hardly know I'm wearing them"
I would choose based on comfort... The shoes win.

Pacharan's advice to wear the boots and shoes each on a long day walk with your pack on is very true. Footwear feels different with the extra weight on your back.

Just over 2 weeks to go! Enjoy the anticipation and excitement! You will have a wonderful Camino.

David, Victoria, Canada.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Malie,

The obvious answer........bring both!

Don't worry about the extra weight, that's mostly hype.

There is nothing quite like changing footwear after a couple of hours walking, its like getting a new pair of legs. When we walked, we changed footwear regularly, sometimes because of terrain, but also to elleviate little foot problems, before they become big foot problems.

John.

That extra set of boots (outside Azofra):

Attachments

• boots.JPG
    boots.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 2,824
Hi Malia,
Good advice so far- take both pair and if that proves too heavy post the least used pair on to Santiago? My walking partner had trainers and boots a combo that worked well for her.
I found I actually needed more ankle support later in my journey than I did at the start, for example on descending from Riego de Ambros to Molinaseca ( that stretch was a bit gnarly on the knees as well) :? .I suppose my ankles were probably a bit 'tired and emotional' by then, anyway I was glad that I had supportive boots at that stage.
If you have good ankles with no history of weakness-no worries
Bonne route
Nell

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the tips. I´m still not sure what I´m going to do, though!! Anyway, I´ve still got a couple of weeks left to drive myself mad..........

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
falcon269 said:

I'm sure that those boots didn't stay hung there for long, they look brand new! 8) I wonder how many Peregrinos do the same and leave unwanted articles in the refugios for anyone else's use...

Hallo Malie, as boots and trainers appear to be both very confortable, i would stick to boots, as you most likely will encounter rainy ( and muddy )days during your walk...
Buen camino
Giorgio

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
goonerpilgrim said:
falcon269 said:

I'm sure that those boots didn't stay hung there for long, they look brand new! 8) I wonder how many Peregrinos do the same and leave unwanted articles in the refugios for anyone else's use...

Maybe they hadn't been worn - even to break them in - in which case they had probably been carried rather a long way, unused :roll:

Hope someone gave them a good home.

chinacat

PS I'm taking a pair of very breathable, well oiled (waterproof) lightish leather boots - broken-in - and my Terra Fi sandals - ( very well-used and still going strong) My feet can get very hot - but in these boots , they really stay OK and my feet don't get wet - I don't really understand how I get the best of both worlds, but I'm not complaining !

the best option would be taking both the boots and the walking shoes/trainers with you. Then at least you have two pairs of footwear that are comfortable. The daytime temperature may still be very high in September and you feet may get swollen - then it feels more comfortable to be able to change to a lighter pair of shoes.
I brought both the boots (mids) and a pair of trainers when on my camino in May this year. The trainers are light and don´t to the total weight that much.
annie

I have walked twice. The first time I had trouble with my legs when wearing my boats so I walked most of the way in crocs or bare foot. Second time I did the whole way in crocs. They are light,wash easily, and do not smell. I went both times in Late April early May.

As with whatever you wear get your feet used to them. I wear Crocs almost all year long. Beware they are very slippery especially on wet painted lines on roadways.

Many people have crocs for their rooms at night but I did not see anyone else wearing them during the day.

Druidone said:
As with whatever you wear get your feet used to them. I wear Crocs almost all year long. Beware they are very slippery especially on wet painted lines on roadways.

Many people have crocs for their rooms at night but I did not see anyone else wearing them during the day.

Hi Druidone

I wear crocs most of the time at home and used to wear them nearly all the time - you can certainly get used to that soft feel! Didn't you feel stones etc through the soles ? --- I once had a thorn work its way through the sole to my foot.
chinacat

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back