• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on walking from Fatima

ksam

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Francigena...2024
Dunno if you’re able to help but worth asking? I’m looking for a way to break the leg from Fatima to Tomar. It’l be our first day and I’m trying to avoid 30+k on the first day. Especially as some may be a bit jet lagged! Thanks 😊

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So, your first decision is going to be whether to go from Fatima to Tomar and pick up the Caminho Portugues (I believe that's the Nascente) or follow another route that Rodrigo has posted about. It looks to me like his map does not join up with the Caminho de Santiago until Ansiao, it just heads straight north from Fatima), so I would personally not take that option.

On the Nascente, there is some forum advice
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/fatima-to-tomar.56257/#post-632282

And Rodrigo does have advice on the connection between Fatima and Tomar as well.

The small print on that map says that pilgrims who want to break the stage into two should contact Father Mauricio in Fungalvaz at 351 926 690 327

From Fatima it would be about 20 mainly downhill kms to Fungalvaz, and then 10 into Tomar the next day. Which would be a brilliant way to have plenty of time to visit the monastery and castle complex in Tomar, which is absolutely not missable, IMO. And the town of Tomar itself is a real little gem. Looks like a great option, ksam! Bom caminho, Laurie

So, your first decision is going to be whether to go from Fatima to Tomar and pick up the Caminho Portugues (I believe that's the Nascente) or follow another route that Rodrigo has posted about. It looks to me like his map does not join up with the Caminho de Santiago until Ansiao, it just heads straight north from Fatima), so I would personally not take that option.

On the Nascente, there is some forum advice
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/fatima-to-tomar.56257/#post-632282

And Rodrigo does have advice on the connection between Fatima and Tomar as well.

The small print on that map says that pilgrims who want to break the stage into two should contact Father Mauricio in Fungalvaz at 351 926 690 327

From Fatima it would be about 20 mainly downhill kms to Fungalvaz, and then 10 into Tomar the next day. Which would be a brilliant way to have plenty of time to visit the monastery and castle complex in Tomar, which is absolutely not missable, IMO. And the town of Tomar itself is a real little gem. Looks like a great option, ksam! Bom caminho, Laurie
Laurie, you’re a life saver!!! That’s exactly what my concern was. I didn’t want to begin with a 30k day and wind up having nothing left to look around Tomar. I will be nearly three weeks in my time in Spain, so time change won’t matter to me. But the rest of our group will be arriving the day before walking 😳. So I really want to try to make this manageable. I think this does it. 👍. Thanks so much. Obrigado 😁

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank a lot Laurie.
Ksam you can download the guides in the website of the Associação de Amigos dos Caminhos de Fátima
https://www.caminho.com.pt/index_e.html
Please fill free to contact me if you need help.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back