• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on walking the Portuguese Camino from Porto

Maccool

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Camino
Good afternoon
My partner and I are flying in and out of Porto in Feb and have 5 days plus one back in Porto to experience the area. We had wanted to possibly do some of the Portuguese Camino and I was wondering if you might have some advise on what might be do-able? Perhaps take a bus or train and just do a part of it? What would you suggest might work and towns that we could see and walk through that will give is a taste?
And should we consider the Coastal Route or Central route?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Graeme

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Mccool! How lucky you are to go to Porto, it is such an amazing city!
I have walked the central route in 2017 and loved it. That said, the stretch just out of Porto I skipped due to it being too urban and not so pleasant - I took the train out.

A suggestion woulb be to walk the coastal route out of Porto, as the walk along the river is very pretty, until you feel satisfied. You will have lovely views and probably reach some nice places, such as Vila do Conde and Viana do Castelo, which will give you a taste of it.

Bom caminho!

I walked the Portuguese Coastal last September. I recommend you take the Metro out of Porto to Matishinos (16 stops) and start there. Fishtail Hostel is fabulous and a street away from the Camino. Then every town for the next few days are a delight. Viana do Costello ( we had a rest day there - so beautiful) , Vila do Conde, Amaroso = glorious. You cant go wrong really. All on the beach/coast and fabulous food and wine tossed in for good measure!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Mccool The walk along the Rio Duro is very nice , find your way to the cathedral and then just make your way to the river ,you can't get lost . An alternate route would be to take the metro to Matosinhos and start up the coast from there, either way you will have a great time.

Bom caminho

It sounds like you want to experience some of the Camino in Portugal and aren't terribly focused on making it to Santiago and getting a compostela. With that in mind, I would advise starting at the cathedral in Porto, walking down to the river and along the river to the ocean, then north along the seashore to Vila do Conde. From Vila do Conde, I would cut over to the Central route at Arcos and walk north from there to Ponte de Lima, passing through Rates and Barcelos on the way. Along the way, the Casa da Fernanda between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima is a nice place if it works out as one of the places you stop for the night. (Incidentally, this is the same route as appears in a pilgrim account from the late 16th century.)

I agree David. Anything to avoid the straight walk out of Porto, 12km along the footpath beside busy traffic before finally getting out of the city. No fun, or take the tram. So take the coastal out of town to Vila do Conde and then inland to Sao Pedro de Rates for the night and then on to Ponte de Lima for the wonderful walk up over the hills and then down the other side to Barcelos and on to Lugar do Condo and stay at Fernanda's but call ahead to book.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the Portuguese Coastal last September. I recommend you take the Metro out of Porto to Matishinos (16 stops) and start there. Fishtail Hostel is fabulous and a street away from the Camino. Then every town for the next few days are a delight. Viana do Costello ( we had a rest day there - so beautiful) , Vila do Conde, Amaroso = glorious. You cant go wrong really. All on the beach/coast and fabulous food and wine tossed in for good measure!
I am booked at the Fishtail in Matishinos in May! I'm glad to get a thumbs up that it was a good choice!

I'm planning on walking the coastal route early April, this is'll be my first Camino and I'm 69.
Could anyone let me know how long approx it should take? I'm thinking of allowing 14 days is that reasonable?
Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated

warm regards,
Chris

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That’s how long I took last September. Includes one rest day. Days ranged from 28kms to 14kms. It’s fairly flat till Galicia- that’s when some hills crop up.

I'm planning on walking the coastal route early April, this is'll be my first Camino and I'm 69.
Could anyone let me know how long approx it should take? I'm thinking of allowing 14 days is that reasonable?
Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated

warm regards,
Chris
Buen Caminho Chris...you may already be on your way. I leave May 1 from Los Angeles and will also walk the coastal then cut over at Caminha to the inland route into Santiago!
So happy for you!

I agree David. Anything to avoid the straight walk out of Porto, 12km along the footpath beside busy traffic before finally getting out of the city. No fun, or take the tram. So take the coastal out of town to Vila do Conde and then inland to Sao Pedro de Rates for the night and then on to Ponte de Lima for the wonderful walk up over the hills and then down the other side to Barcelos and on to Lugar do Condo and stay at Fernanda's but call ahead to book.
I think you better look on the Portuguese map ! Your sense of direction is a little bit confusing.
After São Pedro de Rates first comes Barcelos - Lugar do Conde ? It is Lugar do Corgo by the way...does not exist as a town or village. It is the name of a house in the the village of Vitorino dos Piães.
There after comes Ponte de Lima and than you go over the mountains to Rubiães to Valença do Minho and Tui .

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back