• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on warm clothing for Oct - Nov on Via de la Plata

BlackKnight84

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2012)
Hello everyone,

My second Camino is coming closer. I keep on getting all sorts of wonderful Camino signs at home in Oz. The Camino truly does call you.

I do have a question that I'm hoping the wonderful community here can provide a bit more clarity on before I go and update my walking gear. I understand that the weather gets colder and wetter on the Via during October. I'll probably be starting it on Mon 2nd or Tue 3rd of October this year after a few days of being a tourist in Seville.

Below is a list of gear I'm thinking of taking clothes wise. Could you please have a look and advise whether there is an appropriate level of 'warmer' gear to handle going into the north of Spain in November? I may not be finishing until early December. Planning to take my time and let winter be my deadline.

Two long sleeved lightweight hiking shirts that wik sweat away

Two lightweight hiking pants that can also be used as shorts

three pairs of undies

1 pair of thermal underwear - full coverings for legs and torso (for those exceptionally chilly days / nights)

Three pairs of thick woollen hiking socks and potentially two pairs of thin lightweight socks to go underneath to help reduce the blister chafing

A good hat - either wide brimmed or one with a flap on the back to protect my neck

Walking gloves as I'll be using sticks and want to reduce chafing on my skin / also have gloves to help keep the hands a little warmer than without during those frosty mornings

Sunglasses

A beanie

Waterproof goretex pants and jacket with a hood

A lightweight fleece that is as well insulated as possible to keep the cold out (any recommendations?)

A scarf (unsure if needed but putting it here if you think it would be useful during colder months. Could wrap around face).

Hiking boots

Crocs for evening / shower attire. ;)

Does this sound about right that should keep me warm enough if I end up finishing my walk in late Nov / early Dec?

Thanks,

Tristan

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @BlackKnight84

That is more or less what I took when I did the Plata in February. I never needed more than pants, super thin merino long sleeve top and hardshell + poncho. I can't imagine that you need that in October/early November.

I have also walked Granada - Mérida and Salamanca - Santiago in October (arriving in Santiago November 3) and I walked in a t-shirt and 3/4 leggings the whole way. I used a fleece if further north it was cool in the mornings + a poncho which I put on 2x.

Maybe replace one shirt with a nice weather option? In case you have warm weather as I did you can zip off your pants.

Just a thought. Buen Camino.

You haven't mentioned a sleeping bag, are you going for hotels or albergues? You are walking north so the early days/weeks should be really warm, Galicia could be anything. When I did the Invierno in late September I met 2 French women on the Sanabres, they only had sleeping bag liners and not very good warm gear, they were frozen, the weather was not that cold but it was very wet and chilly.
Like LTfit I also say how about changing 1 for a T-shirt!!?? cos you also have the thermals, just a thought.
Unfortunately weather is impossible to predict, Spain has had the hottest summer in 20 years at some point it has to give. Here in Galicia it has been very dry all year so there is a probability of a wet autumn, maybe, the ground needs it :)
Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We started from Seville in September, and it got pretty cold from Salamanca onward, so definitely merino thermals, rain gear and a good sleeping bag a must. When we did the Portugese route in November it was pretty wet and cold and the track was a bog, parts of the vdp could get like this too, but don't let that put you off trudging on.

Just a thought. It is not likely to be very cold in October, from Seville to Zamora. You might consider leaving a warm layer item or two at home, and them buying them in Salamanca or Zamora. If you are concerned about your pack weight, this would be a way to reduce it for the first half of the VdlP. Buen Camino!

comments added in italics
Hello everyone,
Two long sleeved lightweight hiking shirts that wik sweat away - icebreaker L/S med weight and icebreaker lightweight S/S would be more flexible (wool is wonderful on a camino, doesn’t smell). Any good merino brand if you can’t get Icebreaker.

Two lightweight hiking pants that can also be used as shorts - zip-offs can be heavy and uncomfortable as shorts. Better 1 long pair easy-dry and 1 pair shorts

three pairs of undies

1 pair of thermal underwear - full coverings for legs and torso (for those exceptionally chilly days / nights) - excellent - again Icebreaker or other quality merino brand

Three pairs of thick woollen hiking socks and potentially two pairs of thin lightweight socks to go underneath to help reduce the blister chafing - personal preference, my favourite are merino midweight (2 pairs) and another pair of merino lightweight for hot days in the south. I never did a camino with double socks.

A good hat - either wide brimmed or one with a flap on the back to protect my neck

Walking gloves as I'll be using sticks and want to reduce chafing on my skin / also have gloves to help keep the hands a little warmer than without during those frosty mornings

Sunglasses

A beanie - or a buff can double as warm hat and neck warmer

Waterproof goretex pants and jacket with a hood - if you have to spend hours in the rain, you may end up wetter on the inside from sweat. A good quality pack poncho (ferrino, packa, Altus) is better. Front opening good for air circulation. A poncho also keeps pack dry. A pack cover allows water to wick through straps

A lightweight fleece that is as well insulated as possible to keep the cold out (any recommendations?) - Macpac ½ zip are warm and lightweight

A scarf (unsure if needed but putting it here if you think it would be useful during colder months. Could wrap around face). - take 1 or 2 buffs

Hiking boots - or shoes?

Crocs for evening / shower attire. ;) - or take travel sandals in case you have to walk in them (shoe issues or blisters or just lovely sunny days). You’ll end up spending many hours in the afternoons wandering the villages.
…… Tristan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last year it was very hot at the end of September into October on the VdlP. I carried mostly only light gear at the start and topped this up with a visit to the Decathlon store in Salamanca when it began to get cooler. Have a great camino!

Thanks everyone!

I like the idea of the decathlon in Salamanca as well as suggestions re short sleeve shirt. Yup I have a good sleeping bag which I used last time. I think it can handle temperatures close to 0 degrees okay. :)

T

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back