• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on where to end my Camino?

Wagamama78

Time of past OR future Camino
Either early July 2018 or Sept 2018
Hi everyone,

I was planning on walking for 2 weeks back in July for my 40th birthday but had to cancel due to work emergencies. However, I think i'll be able to walk in mid-September into early October instead...and it works out well because I'm planning on meeting my wife in Lisbon at the end for a weekend to celebrate our second anniversary. I guess things do happen for a reason! But things brings me to my conundrum.

Caveat 1) The maximum amount of time I can take off at the moment is 2.5 weeks.

Caveat 2) I have to be in Lisbon by Friday, Oct 5.

Caveat 3) I do not want to fast track to the last 100km of the Camino.

Caveat 4) I'm traveling from Toronto to Paris to SJPDP...so I'll likely have to give myself at least 2-3 days from my departure to even arrive at SJPDP.

Option 1 - End in Burgos --> I originally planned out to end my walk in Burgos, taking a one day break in Pamplona. I can still attempt this plan, but it would mean walking into Burgos, catching the 7pm train to Madrid and flying out on the morning of the 5th. Or, catching the sleeper train at 10pm from Burgos to Lisbon. Either way, to me this sounds like a gruelling schedule and I have no idea what's going to either slow me down along the way. However, it allows me to end my walk according to my original plan.

Option 2 - End somewhere between Logrono and Burgos (eg. Santo Domingo/Belorado)

This is my preferred option as it allows me to walk a little further. However, I still have to get to Madrid in order to arrive in Lisbon for the 5th and my research tells me that there is no bus service (in any town) to either go back to Logrono or continue on to Burgos. Unless my research is wrong?

Option 3 - shorten the entire walk and end Logrono --> By ending in Logrono, I would essentially cut down my walking days by 5 days. However, hopping on a train in Logrono to Madrid is easy. I've heard that the walk from Logrono to Burgos isn't all that special/pretty so maybe this it the best logical alternative? (Only issue is, this option makes me feel like I'm cheating myself out of what I wanted to experience)

Any advice or insights into my conundrum would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Do you need to decide now? If possible I would advise delaying the decision until you have walked some of the way. Then you don't have to worry sticking to a schedule. You have more flexibility to adjust to how you are walking, who else you are walking with etc. For instance I was planning a rest day in pamplona but when I got there I just wanted to keep walking.

Buen Camino! Option 3 in my opinion. Take your time, stop for half a day if you like a particular place, by all means a whole day in Pamplona, Logroño can be fun (don't forget the tapas!, and Lisboa IS another Camino Starting Point worth a visit in it's own rights. "The Camino "where never is heard a disparaging word"! Logroño to Burgos passes through some fascinating places, lots of history, a pleasant mountain climb-well-more like an overgrown hill but steep enough, a medieval monastery or two or three, plus some mythological chickens.. Do what you can then come back to finish, the Camino has been here for 1000 years, will be here next near, next decade, next reincarnation for you to return and finish.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd love to play things by ear but I there's two issues with that. 1) how long should I be away for (1.5 weeks vs. 2.5 weeks) and 2) I have to be in Lisbon by Oct 5, so I'll need to plan where I end up before that in order to book flights, train tickets, etc.

Can I add an option 4? If it were me, I'd walk the CP from Porto. That's about two weeks most people's speed (even if you add the spiritual variant). If you have some extra days, keep walking to Finesterre or (and?) Muxia. I've walked both the CF and CP, and I like the CP just as much as the CF. The infrastructure on the central route at least is just as good as the CF. The pilgrims we met were great. That time of the year it should be lovely weather (unless there is another heat wave--it happens these days). Also, this way you end in SdC and can just take a train back to Lisbon. You could even fly into Lisbon in the first place and see if your hotel would hold your extra baggage while you walk, so that you are not wearing your walking clothes for that anniversary celebration. Just a thought.

Bon Caminho,
Jo Jo

Hi,

definitely plan for Option 2 and be surprised, if you get to Burgos by foot. There is a regular and frequent bus service between Logrono and Burgos.

Me and my parents (then in their 70s) managed to walk from SJPDP to Burgos in a fortnight, even with some very short stages in between (e. g. Night at Orrisson, some days with 16-18 km due to the heat).

If you do not reach Burgos, you can still take a bus. The buses are stoping in Najera, Sto. Domingo de la Calzada and Belorado.
Autobuses Jimenez

BC
Alexandra

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was surprised that you said there appeared to be no bus services on that section, as they are not insignificant little villages. I looked rometorio.com (which is always a good place to start). It appears that Autobuses Jimenez has a route from Zaragoza to Burgos with a several stops in towns on the Camino, including Logrono and Belorado. So your preferred Option 2 is totally possible. Keep in mind that you can always take a taxi to wherever the bus stops. Count on about 1 Euro per km. Just allow yourself a day or two before you need it, to plan the logistics of the last couple of days, with the help of the hospitaleros or people at your accommodation.

Now that I've written this, I see that @Via2010 has also found that bus information, but I'll post this anyway!

ok...I guess my search was wrong! My friend told me goeuro.com was the best way to search bus and train routes but I guess I should have expanded my search!

Thank-you all SOOO much. HUGE HELP!!! :D

ok...I guess my search was wrong! My friend told me goeuro.com was the best way to search bus and train routes but I guess I should have expanded my search!

Thank-you all SOOO much. HUGE HELP!!! :D
Try Rome2rio they also have an app was very helpful in my planning

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
First Camino ?

Then end in Compostela.

Flip it on its head, the question is where you should start.

How far can you walk in two weeks ? Start at that distance from Santiago and then walk there, every step.

I appreciate the advice but this time around I don't want to end in Santiago at all. I know it may seem weird but I'm really trying to avoid the touristy-ness of the last 100km. I guess I'm more interested in the journey than getting my Compostela this time around.

I'm really trying to avoid the touristy-ness of the last 100km.
I think that is the wrong term. I have been to tourist destinations like Disneyland/World, Lourdes, Paris, Tijuana, and Niagara Falls, and the atmosphere is completely different than the Camino Frances. It is crowded and a bit chaotic, but in real tourist traps, no one is walking 100 km. They are on benches, in shops and fancy restaurants, trying on clothes, and buying things. They do not do that on the Camino. There is probably another word that describes it better, but touristy is not accurate. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd love to play things by ear but I there's two issues with that. 1) how long should I be away for (1.5 weeks vs. 2.5 weeks) and 2) I have to be in Lisbon by Oct 5, so I'll need to plan where I end up before that in order to book flights, train tickets, etc.
I don't really understand this. With the exception of a possible flight, trains and buses in Spain don't need to be booked weeks in advance. Even if you feel you need the reassurance of a booked schedule you could plan your preferred transit from burgos or logrono to Lisbon, and when necessary get the bus and/or taxi from wherever you are.

I personally agree with doing the first leg in preference to the last leg.

I appreciate the advice but this time around I don't want to end in Santiago at all. I know it may seem weird but I'm really trying to avoid the touristy-ness of the last 100km.
Wagamama78, it that's the only reason, you can easily end in Santiago AND avoid the 100km Frances crowd at Sarria: walk the Invierno! It's very quiet. Depending on your pace you could start on the Frances, walking for 2 days from Astorga before taking a left at Ponferrada - or simply start in Ponferrada and take your time.

I appreciate the advice but this time around I don't want to end in Santiago at all. I know it may seem weird but I'm really trying to avoid the touristy-ness of the last 100km.

I don't think you'll have to worry too much about touristy-ness at end September getting into October.

The actual summer tourists will have left Compostela itself by October, even a few of the pilgrim albergues will be closed for the winter by then, and if you want to avoid the worst of what crowds may still persist, just avoid sleeping in either Rabanal or Sarria. O Cebreiro or Triacastela might be more unavoidable, but alternative accommodation should be feasible if you need it, and as for Portomarin and Melide, the crowds there are mostly locals and so part of their charm.

And somehow, the crowd at Ponferrada always seems like fun, not an annoyance.

Anyway, in that time period, the people you'll most likely come across on the Camino itself are the proper long-distance people, who sometimes like to arrive at Compostela at about those dates, rather than the 100K-from-Sarria "tourigrinos", who generally prefer May to the first half of September because of the easier weather.

And yes, there's always the Camiño de Invierno from Ponferrada if the absolutely more solitary thing is what you're looking for, though I wouldn't advise it, not for a short 15-18 day first Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back