• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice please! West highland way vs Camino Frances

Magpie9

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (August 2020)
Helloo! I’m quite interested in walking the WHW but I have some questions/concerns. Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.

1. Is there a time of year that is midge free? I know it sounds silly but I’m really reactive to insect bites. My last encounter with midges ended with me spending a weekend indoors looking at the Lake District through a window while chewing on antihistamines. I know that some people wear nets but the prospect of doing a hike in a beekeeper suit doesn’t really appeal to me.

2. Can I use my Camino stuff or do I actually need boots/waterproof footwear ? I did the Camino Frances (SJPP > Muxia) two years ago in merrell trail runners. They have some wear and the gortex has definitely rubbed off so might replace them. Reading the forums and being the subject of some passionate pilgrim footwear lectures has now led me to believe that waterproof footwear is a scam so I thought I would not buy goretex shoes again. However after some brief reading on the WHW I keep seeing people recommend waterproof boots and socks (didn’t know that was possible?!). Am I missing something?

3. Light weight tent recommendations/what to look for? Either for 1 person with backpack or a two man. Mid range budget

Ta!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi there.

In 2015 I did the Camino Frances then flew from Porto to Newcastle... walked Hadrians Wall... took a bus from Carlisle to Glasgow and walked the West Highland Way.

I only ever had one pair of running shoes for those and had no issues.

Did have a lightweight two person tent but only used a couple nights.

I did the WHW in early July and midges seemed not too bad.

Hope that helps :)

I did the WHW in June, plenty of midges, they seem attracted to some people but not others. I did wear light weight waterproof hiking boots, my feet still got wet. It rained every day for some portion of the day.
I recall seeing a group of 6 camping and cooking, all encased in a very large mosquito net to keep the midges away. It didn’t look very enjoyable

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Having walked the WHW twice, I strongly recommend boots, not shoes. While no boot is perfectly waterproof, they are a far better option on the rough and wet ground you will be walking on. For a tent I had a Tarptent Moment and found it excellent in the cold and wet conditions. Might be a bit expensive though.

Midges are present most of the year except for the depths of winter, being most prevalent in the spring and summer. The are intensely annoying however there are some excellent repellents available.

Don't let any of this put you off though. The WHW is a fantastic walk through breathtaking scenery. There are plenty of good days as well as cold and wet ones.

I have walked both and the WHW weather is very unpredictable. For instance on day 2 I had torrential rain all day, my supposed Gortex jacket wasn't waterproof and I was literally soaked to the skin. If that had been my outer layer on a mountain I would have been in deep trouble. Every other day was perfect for walking and I even got up and down Ben Nevis in sunshine. IMHO you need to pack more for the WHW as the saying "four seasons in one day" is very true in Scotland.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks so much for the replies. The midges are my main concern but I am being a bit of a baby. I got bitten by horseflies on my second day of the Frances and it was the closest I came to wanting to go home. Swelled up very quickly even with antihistamine cream. First they looked like massive love bites (not the best conversation starter on a pilgrimage) and then they got infected and revolting after rubbing on my sweaty and sun creamy backpack straps. I'll do some research into repellents. Is it silly to want to bring one of those electric tennis racket things?

Gahh I think that means I will need to buy quite a bit of new (or maybe borrowed/second hand) gear. For the Frances I had a 30l (28l) pack and I think I will need a bigger one to include more waterproof/warm stuff and a tent and sleeping mat. I was hoping I wouldn't need to buy boots but if the terrain is tricky then I guess it is for the best.

Nothing wrong with second hand... I come from a town to the east of the beginning of the WHW, and the best thing to avoid the midgies is to hide when the day turns to dusk... Having seen a couple of videos, but also knowing the terrain, buy boots. My mammy never let us share footwear, whatever about anything else!

After years of being savaged by midges on walking, climbing and canoe trips to Scotland, I now avoid it between Mid April and mid September, and the west in general is worse than the east.
In these times however, you can try to avoid the worst of them by camping somewhere breezy if possible, using Smidge repellent and wearing headnets, full sleeves and long trousers. If you're lucky with the weather though, spring and autumn are beautiful in the Highlands.
Regarding footwear, use what you're used to. It's not a wilderness trek and your feet will get wet if (or more likely, when) it rains.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there! I've walked both. I greatly prefer the Camino Frances, but loved the WHW. The people of Scotland are so friendly, and the scenery is gorgeous. Midgies are indeed a problem, and the notes above say it all. I found them to be worse when I got further north into the walk. We purchased some good "mosquito" hats with netting that tucked into our shirts near the neck, and slathered on some repellant.
Despite that, the midgies got my husband's ears pretty bad where they touched the netting (they're the stickie outie ears, ha ha!).
If you have major issues with bug bite allergies, take care to move fast through the areas where they're in clouds. Yep, we found them that thick a few times, but walked through fast and kept our heads down.
We stayed in bed and breakfasts along the walk.
Buen Camino--

West Highland Way in late September was midge-free. We had all kinds of weather! I wore altra lone peak trail runners. My partner got sick of me saying how happy my feet were to be wearing shoes! Lone peaks are super grippy. I never felt nervous with them on wet or rocky trails. I did get wet feet. But so did she in goretex boots that took ages to dry. Most of the WHW is on tracks. It is very nice to walk on! We have walked in Scotland in early May without midges, but maybe that was a lucky year?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked October no midges
Definitely waterproof gortex pants and coat - saved us from hypothermia on the 30kms days! Waterproof boots? wouldn’t walk in anything else although in the rain we had , they eventually got wet
Great walk but tough in sections when we had long long days, hills and the rain coming sideways

From May to September the Highland are a no no as far as midges are concerned. I’ve done the whw a few times. Like the Camino it’s international - so many languages you sometimes wonder what country you are in. Like the Camino - easy walking except for the climb out of Glencoe. No albergues but hostels a bothers. Beautiful countryside. Takes about a week as distinct from three or four on the Camino. its a walk, not a pilgrimage.
Scottish midges, a folk tale. A giant from Norway ravaged ever village he came across in Scotland, shouting, ‘I’ll find you,I’ll catch you and I’ll eat you’. Eventually he got to Applecross and they dug a deep trench. He chased the kids but didn’t see the trip wire by the trench. He was impaled on the spikes at the bottom. The villagers, to ascertain his demise cut him in pieces. They celebrate. Next morning all the pieces were screaming, ‘I’ll hunt you, I’ll catch you, I’ll ear you’. That night they put an end to him by burning all the body pieces. They celebrated. The following morning the pieces has been burnt to ashes. The wind started to blow and the ashes spread throughout the Highlands . And that was the origin of Scottish midges.
Jungle formulae - best repellant but beware it leaked onto my genuine Swiss Army knife and melted the plastic

Hi , I did WHW the second week of September and I didn’t see midges. Weather was very good, it rained a bit but not major. Weather is unpredictable and more in Scotland.
I’m planning a trip to the highlands for September.
I used the same equipment than Camino except yes, boots, gaiters and no poncho

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Helloo! I’m quite interested in walking the WHW but I have some questions/concerns. Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.

1. Is there a time of year that is midge free? I know it sounds silly but I’m really reactive to insect bites. My last encounter with midges ended with me spending a weekend indoors looking at the Lake District through a window while chewing on antihistamines. I know that some people wear nets but the prospect of doing a hike in a beekeeper suit doesn’t really appeal to me.

2. Can I use my Camino stuff or do I actually need boots/waterproof footwear ? I did the Camino Frances (SJPP > Muxia) two years ago in merrell trail runners. They have some wear and the gortex has definitely rubbed off so might replace them. Reading the forums and being the subject of some passionate pilgrim footwear lectures has now led me to believe that waterproof footwear is a scam so I thought I would not buy goretex shoes again. However after some brief reading on the WHW I keep seeing people recommend waterproof boots and socks (didn’t know that was possible?!). Am I missing something?

3. Light weight tent recommendations/what to look for? Either for 1 person with backpack or a two man. Mid range budget

Ta!

Ta!
Hi Magpie9,

I did the WHW in 2017 and, as I understand it, there is never a midgee free time. There is a local product you can buy at camping stores called ‘Smidge’ and that worked very well- the locals swore by it.

Regarding waterproof footwear, they are a must for WHW in my view, especially if you take the low road. The drizzle is reasonably constant and the track can be wet/muddy.

Attachments

• 981AAD24-C14F-4E26-8DCD-F550E5CEC92E.jpeg
    981AAD24-C14F-4E26-8DCD-F550E5CEC92E.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 30
  • B4FFF3E4-496E-4BD9-A944-F31DC7600FAD.jpeg
    B4FFF3E4-496E-4BD9-A944-F31DC7600FAD.jpeg
    984.4 KB · Views: 28

Ta!
I walked the West Highland way late August, never saw any midge. As far as footwear goes, trekking boots like Lowa renegade worked well. I also booked in advance to lodgings at every stop, did not use a tent.

Cheers,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After years of being savaged by midges on walking, climbing and canoe trips to Scotland, I now avoid it between Mid April and mid September, and the west in general is worse than the east.
In these times however, you can try to avoid the worst of them by camping somewhere breezy if possible, using Smidge repellent and wearing headnets, full sleeves and long trousers. If you're lucky with the weather though, spring and autumn are beautiful in the Highlands.
Regarding footwear, use what you're used to. It's not a wilderness trek and your feet will get wet if (or more likely, when) it rains.

I see you’re from Cumbria ..
The midges in Ennerdale, on the SLMM, were more plentiful than any I’ve come across in Scotland …
Put your hand/arm out of the tent, and it’s instantly black!
Luckily they don’t find me appetising … no bites, just a nuisance … the only things that have ever bitten me are bed bugs and a spider … oh, and my babies! 😉

@Magpie9

Do you eat much garlic?
I sometimes wonder if my (excessive?) garlic consumption is the reason why biting insects avoid feasting on me … 🤔

PS
I’d go for the boots!

i walked WHW late March/early April years ago. No issues with bugs at all. It was cold and wet. I did it in Hoka trail runners (non-waterproof). I never wear waterproof shoes, but goretex-lined socks are a very good thing for inclement weather.
I forgot to mention that there are sections where you're walking through ranch land with sheep. There is a lot of manure around, particularly after it rains, when it mixes with the mud. There isn't much to be done there other than to wrap your feet in plastic bags which some people did. It gets a little messy from time to time in the West highland Way.

From May to September the Highland are a no no as far as midges are concerned. I’ve done the whw a few times. Like the Camino it’s international - so many languages you sometimes wonder what country you are in. Like the Camino - easy walking except for the climb out of Glencoe. No albergues but hostels a bothers. Beautiful countryside. Takes about a week as distinct from three or four on the Camino. its a walk, not a pilgrimage.
Scottish midges, a folk tale. A giant from Norway ravaged ever village he came across in Scotland, shouting, ‘I’ll find you,I’ll catch you and I’ll eat you’. Eventually he got to Applecross and they dug a deep trench. He chased the kids but didn’t see the trip wire by the trench. He was impaled on the spikes at the bottom. The villagers, to ascertain his demise cut him in pieces. They celebrate. Next morning all the pieces were screaming, ‘I’ll hunt you, I’ll catch you, I’ll ear you’. That night they put an end to him by burning all the body pieces. They celebrated. The following morning the pieces has been burnt to ashes. The wind started to blow and the ashes spread throughout the Highlands . And that was the origin of Scottish midges.
Jungle formulae - best repellant but beware it leaked onto my genuine Swiss Army knife and melted the plastic
Have never heard that story, it's lovely!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi , I did WHW the second week of September and I didn’t see midges. Weather was very good, it rained a bit but not major. Weather is unpredictable and more in Scotland.
I’m planning a trip to the highlands for September.
I used the same equipment than Camino except yes, boots, gaiters and no poncho
Good to know there are times of year with fewer midgies. Can I ask why you recommended no poncho?

Ta!
Hi,
Having walked the WHW myself, you WILL need wet weather gear and proper walking boots. If you walk a similar trail to the one me and my two buddies did, you’ll probably need a tent 🏕. You will be out in the wild with no cover from the elements, and believe me, Scotland knows how to Element!!! There are places to stay, but you’ll need to check your route and book in advance.
Re midges, June to September is probably the midgie freest time to go, BUT, you cannot guarantee it. Take good strong insect repellent with you. You will need it. Many locals use Avon Skin so Soft (true) as it contains something the pesky varmits don’t like. But, again, ensure you use it lots. A few times during the day. They follow you and wait until they think they’ve found a weak spot.
Hope I haven’t put you off🤪. Seriously, do your research. The WHW isn’t anything like the Camino

Good luck.
Tom

Like you the insects love me, I walked 2 caminos, Oct last year did the first half of the whw and march this year the last half. Got saturated both times but no midges at that time. I must say I didn't really enjoy the whw but loved the caminos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
Having walked the WHW myself, you WILL need wet weather gear and proper walking boots. If you walk a similar trail to the one me and my two buddies did, you’ll probably need a tent 🏕. You will be out in the wild with no cover from the elements, and believe me, Scotland knows how to Element!!! There are places to stay, but you’ll need to check your route and book in advance.
Re midges, June to September is probably the midgie freest time to go, BUT, you cannot guarantee it. Take good strong insect repellent with you. You will need it. Many locals use Avon Skin so Soft (true) as it contains something the pesky varmits don’t like. But, again, ensure you use it lots. A few times during the day. They follow you and wait until they think they’ve found a weak spot.
Hope I haven’t put you off🤪. Seriously, do your research. The WHW isn’t anything like the Camino

Good luck.
Tom
You seem to be saying that June to September is LOW season for midges - am I reading this correctly?
This opinion is not supported by my own (local) experience nor any of the usual online sources.
"Midge season" is variable but can run from April/May to September.
In most years, there will be mild/moderate problems until the middle or even end of May and often by early September midge numbers will be relatively low.

The West Highland Way is not a "wilderness" walk. There is no requirement for a tent if you are able to walk 19 miles on at least one day ( 7- day schedule). You will need to cover 21 miles on at least 2 days if your time is limited to 5 days. And don't forget that there is a baggage transfer service (late March until late October).

You seem to be saying that June to September is LOW season for midges - am I reading this correctly?
This opinion is not supported by my own (local) experience nor any of the usual online sources.
"Midge season" is variable but can run from April/May to September.
In most years, there will be mild/moderate problems until the middle or even end of May and often by early September midge numbers will be relatively low.

The West Highland Way is not a "wilderness" walk. There is no requirement for a tent if you are able to walk 19 miles on at least one day ( 7- day schedule). You will need to cover 21 miles on at least 2 days if your time is limited to 5 days. And don't forget that there is a baggage transfer service (late March until late October).
I’ve done both numerous times WHWis tough and remote . Camino goes thru numerous village so you are never far from a cafe con leche or sandwich . Many people , like me, don’t eat or drink enough during the day and fade in mid afternoon. Try to schedule to nourish yourself and drink , drink , drink

My wife and I have walked 3 different Caminos and tried the WHW. We got rained off. I really wanted to get to GlenCoe in reasonable weather. Unlike four seasons, we had one nice day and then 3 full on rain soaking Goretex days. If you stay in B&B, they all have special facilities to dry your gear, so we started every day dry…… We will go back and wait to start when there is a reasonable forecast ie not 10h of rain per day and 0 sunshine.

Even under good conditions, the tracks are muddy so I agree with waterproof gear. We used hiking shoes and were ok, but some of the deeper muddy sections did get our feet a bit wet.

As for midges, we were there in early May and it was fine; we were told it gets intolerable for a couple of months starting end of May. So much so that one of our hosts couldn’t live with his family and young children on the Way, and commuted from Drymen…..

you’ll have to chose between the cold and rain and midges I think, but April and September might work.

As some people have mentioned, the WHW and Camino are not comparable in duration. I find I need a week on the camino to get into my groove. The WHW is over by then…. The WHW trail is rougher than the average CF trail, but there are comparable sections on the Norte, Primitivo, and other less travelled Caminos.

Buen Camino

€46,-
We fly out to start our first Camino tomorrow and are very excited. We have done the WHW and yes we got wet but also had some lovely days. We wore boots , I have bought trail runners for my Camino but couldn’t imagine wearing them on the WHW. We did it in May and had no problems with midges. We have done other holidays in Scotland and always done day walks with no midge problems , we always go either May or September.

Hi there.

In 2015 I did the Camino Frances then flew from Porto to Newcastle... walked Hadrians Wall... took a bus from Carlisle to Glasgow and walked the West Highland Way.

I only ever had one pair of running shoes for those and had no issues.

Did have a lightweight two person tent but only used a couple nights.

I did the WHW in early July and midges seemed not too bad.

Hope that helps :)
We're looking to walk the Wall in late August or early September. Any tips or ideas would be very helpful!

This thread is such a great example of how all our perspectives and experiences differ! :)

I hope you have a great walk Magpie!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We're looking to walk the Wall in late August or early September. Any tips or ideas would be very helpful!

Shorter than you think and there's a section with limited places to actually stay... sort of from near Hexham to Brampton. I actually left myself 6 days for it and really I could have done it in 3 but 4 is probably the best # unless you want to take a day off somewhere.

I really did enjoy visiting all the Roman forts I came across starting at Walls End and going through Vinolanda and Chester's along with the Tullie house in Carlisle.

I didn't get much time in Newcastle which I may do if I can get back in the future but I did enjoy Carlisle.

I also got saved by the Three Tuns Pub @ Heddon-On-The-Wall who let me stay there for a very small fee if I purchased dinner (sold!) when the Farm I was going to camp at turned out to be full.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.