• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice please

Byng

Time of past OR future Camino
Future End of May 2020
Hi my name is Ian from Essex uk, i am planning to set off on the Camino from St Jean on or around the 23rd May,Will be flying in From Stansted Uk to Biarritz first question ,i Any advice on where to find up to date timetables believe that you can take a train to St JEAN is that correct.
We only have limited time on this occasion and plan to walk to Logrono. Any advice would be appreciated on public transport to get back to, Biarritz airport how long would take etc or is there a more suitable airport to depart from that flys into Stansted.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanking you in advance

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey Ian. If you go to the sncf.com website you can pull up the train times from Bayonne to SJPP. The ride is only 1h5m and there are about 5 trains a day. Even for your travel date, you can now see when trains run and what might work based upon your arrival time into Biarritz.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Logrono is a hub for the buses which serve Rioja and the Basque country. There is a bus several times a day to Bilbao, from where you can fly back to the UK (including, I believe, Stansted).

You can buy your ticket at Logrono bus station before you alight - no need to book earlier.
I know this because my wife came to join me for a few days of walking on my Camino Frances, in the middle of her own cultural tourism stay in Bilbao. She intercepted me in Logrono.

We walked together for four days (including our 30th wedding anniversary in the Parador in Santo Domingo) then caught the bus back to Logrono from Belarado, and thence back to Bilbao. She said the buses were clean and comfortable with helpful drivers, obviously used to helping foreign Pilgrims get off at the correct stops!

My recent research found a train connection from Logrono to Irun (12:42-17:35). Just a hop skip and a jump to Bayonne and Biarritz from there with local train and bus connections.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Logrono is a hub for the buses which serve Rioja and the Basque country. There is a bus several times a day to Bilbao, from where you can fly back to the UK (including, I believe, Stansted).

You can buy your ticket at Logrono bus station before you alight - no need to book earlier.
I know this because my wife came to join me for a few days of walking on my Camino Frances, in the middle of her own cultural tourism stay in Bilbao. She intercepted me in Logrono.

We walked together for four days (including our 30th wedding anniversary in the Parador in Santo Domingo) then caught the bus back to Logrono from Belarado, and thence back to Bilbao. She said the buses were clean and comfortable with helpful drivers, obviously used to helping foreign Pilgrims get off at the correct stops!
Hello, I'm planning to take a bus from Bilbao to Logrono in May. It seems there are more options in terms of departures than by train. I have been hesitating because I read numerous reviews of the Logrono bus station that ranged from hilarious to downright disgusting. It looks like you/your wife have experience going both ways, and you mention buying a ticket on the day of in Logrono. Is it the same from Bilbao? No need to pre-book? Thanks!

Hello, I'm planning to take a bus from Bilbao to Logrono in May. It seems there are more options in terms of departures than by train. I have been hesitating because I read numerous reviews of the Logrono bus station that ranged from hilarious to downright disgusting. It looks like you/your wife have experience going both ways, and you mention buying a ticket on the day of in Logrono. Is it the same from Bilbao? No need to pre-book? Thanks!
No need to prebook, though from Bilbao to Logrono, my wife went to the bus station the day before to buy her ticket, so that she could be advised as to the time and exact location of the bus stop/bay within the terminus. On the return journey, she bought a ticket from Belarado to Logrono on the bus, then a ticket from Logrono to Bilbao at Logrono bus station.
Logrono bus station is a bit old-school, with buses seemingly appearing from everywhere and sometimes confusing signage and announcements, but Carol (my wife) who speaks almost no Spanish, navigated it successfully!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back