• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice re my packing for June Frances from Leon? Esp. from ladies! ta :-)

holhum

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Leon to Santiago June 2019
Hi all, I'm in the home stretch for packing and v. happy to take advice as this is my first Camino. This is what I have, and I'm aiming for a 5-6kg pack (before water and food and it's only a 32 litre). I'm from Australia and we don't have the range of products I've seen mentioned sometimes here on the forum. I've put some questions in bold but weigh in on anything, I'd rather hear your opinions :)

Clothes
- One capri length pants and one full length, both quick dry
- Quick dry t-shirt and long sleeve shirt
- 1 bra, 3 undies, 3 socks (not all in the picture). I've gone with Injinji toe socks, a merino bra and exofficio undies.
- Lightweight black cotton tracksuit pants and black tank top with shelf bra, for after showering/sleeping. (I don't think I can sleep in my hiking clothes, too crinkly!)
- Puffer jacket (I really feel the cold!) Do I also need long johns and a thin merino long sleeve layer?
- Rain jacket (not pictured)
- Silk sarong/scarf

Gear
- Pack, pack cover and liner (pack lining is old and shredding sadly)
- Sandals - I've posted separately about these as I'm thinking I may need a new pair, so not pictured. Chacos?
- 1 walking pole
- a waist pack to offset the small size of my backpack and have some things handy in front of me
- a collapsible water bottle and I'll bring a basic plastic one from home
- approx. 500 gram summer weight sleeping bag - it's a little bulky but it was very affordable!

Misc.
- phone, passport, money, pilgrim credential
- glasses and sunglasses
- earplugs and eyemask
- earphones
- safety pins
- needle and thread
- manicure set (just bring the scissors and clippers maybe?)
- a pegless clothes line (not pictured) - do I really need this?
- shampoo bar, sunscreen, moisturiser, toothpaste tablets, collapsible toothbrush, sanitary items and my medications - in the ziplock bag
- 1 packet of compeed and some bandaids
- Australian power converter, phone charging things and a powerbank
- a very small microfibre towel - it's only about 50cm square - will I regret this?

The dog is not coming - do you think she realises I'm leaving her? 😥 Thanks for your help! cheers, Holly

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow you’re doing pretty well, there!

I would leave the clothes line home, you won’t need it.

Not sure you need the bag liner either.

Manucure set: just take nail clippers IMO.

I would take a microfibre fleece instead of a puffer jacket if I were you. A bit more versatile.

No to long johns and a maybe to the merino long sleeve top, but if you take a fleece that might be overkill.

Apart from that your list is perfect!

Hi all, I'm in the home stretch for packing and v. happy to take advice as this is my first Camino. This is what I have, and I'm aiming for a 5-6kg pack (before water and food and it's only a 32 litre). I'm from Australia and we don't have the range of products I've seen mentioned sometimes here on the forum. I've put some questions in bold but weigh in on anything, I'd rather hear your opinions :)

My 2 cents worth. I reached that region at the same time as you in 2017

Clothes
- One capri length pants and one full length, both quick dry (personal choice, its hot, I always wore shorts, never anything longer ever)
- Quick dry t-shirt and long sleeve shirt (took 2 x quick dry t's and no shirt)
- 1 bra (took 2), 3 undies, 3 socks (not all in the picture). I've gone with Injinji toe socks, a merino bra and exofficio undies.( I took the most comfortable lightweight ones I own)
- Lightweight black cotton tracksuit pants and black tank top with shelf bra, for after showering/sleeping. (I don't think I can sleep in my hiking clothes, too crinkly!) (never needed long pants- at the end of June when I reached Santiago it was 43 degrees, I would have found top with shelf bra too hot- personal choice)
- Puffer jacket (I really feel the cold!) Do I also need long johns and a thin merino long sleeve layer? NO, light puffer jacket is all I needed, also became a pillow sometime, and is slightly showerproof)
- Rain jacket (not pictured) (personal choice jacket or poncho)
- Silk sarong/scarf (this turned out to one of the most useful things ever, become a shawl, scarf, skirt , curtain - I always take one on Camino)

Gear
- Pack, pack cover and liner (pack lining is old and shredding sadly) (if you take a poncho you dont need these)
- Sandals - I've posted separately about these as I'm thinking I may need a new pair, so not pictured. Chacos? (sandals, jandals - personal choice - good to get your feet out into the air)
- 1 walking pole (x 2)
- a waist pack to offset the small size of my backpack and have some things handy in front of me
- a collapsible water bottle and I'll bring a basic plastic one from home ( I bought a bottle of water in Spain and kept reusing, just to get my pack size down)
- approx. 500 gram summer weight sleeping bag - it's a little bulky but it was very affordable!

Misc.
- glasses and sunglasses
- earplugs and eyemask (I wouldn't take an eyemask - personal choice)
- earphones
- safety pins (I would add an S hook for hanging your stuff up in the shower, they dont all have hooks)
- needle and thread
- manicure set (just bring the scissors and clippers maybe?) I use really sharp tiny needlework scissors for everything. no clippers - scissors are perfect for snipping blisters, the holes tend to close up when pierced by a needle)
- a pegless clothes line (not pictured) - do I really need this? didnt need.
- shampoo bar, sunscreen, moisturiser, toothpaste tablets, collapsible toothbrush, sanitary items and my medications - in the ziplock bag
- Australian power converter, phone charging things and a powerbank (took a powerbank never needed it)
- a very small microfibre towel - it's only about 50cm square - will I regret this? No, you'll need this or something similar (and larger) unless you plan to stay in hotels

For things like jackets, sleeping bags etc - people's internal thermostats are different, some people run hot whilst others cold. These really are individual choices - but in late May/June it was warm. I experienced two cold days in Leon and Burgos, and it was cold in the mornings walking through the mountains. And 2 and a half days of rain in Leon, Burgos and Triacastela-Samos. The rest of the ime I experienced coolish mornings followed by hot days.

The dog is not coming - do you think she realises I'm leaving her? 😥 Thanks for your help! cheers, Holly (your dog will be joyous to see you when you get back - I hate to leave mine behind too)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re. Powerbank. I brought one and it was a bit heavy. I only needed it a couple of times but when I did - boy was I glad to have it!

It was pretty much my only non-essential item. I could have done without it but it was nice to have it.

I should add, I really only used my phone as a camera, and as emergency item. I didn't use it that much so didn't run the battery down. I was paranoid to leave my charger and adapter behind though, other pilgrims suggest putting some bright tape on them so they stand out and you notice them.

View attachment 55900

Clothes
- 1 bra, 3 undies, 3 socks (not all in the picture). I've gone with Injinji toe socks, a merino bra and exofficio undies.
- Lightweight black cotton tracksuit pants and black tank top with shelf bra, for after showering/sleeping. (I don't think I can sleep in my hiking clothes, too crinkly!)
- Puffer jacket (I really feel the cold!) Do I also need long johns and a thin merino long sleeve layer?
- Silk sarong/scarf

Gear
- Sandals - I've posted separately about these as I'm thinking I may need a new pair, so not pictured. Chacos?
- 1 walking pole

Misc.
- glasses and sunglasses
- earplugs and eyemask
- earphones
- safety pins
- needle and thread
- a very small microfibre towel - it's only about 50cm square - will I regret this?

The dog is not coming - do you think she realises I'm leaving her? 😥 Thanks for your help! cheers, Holly
Hi Holly
Was going to ask about the dog LOL! Glad to see he/she is supervising the packing. As I am doing my first Camino in September I haven’ any comments about your pack except to think about taking a poncho rather than rain jacket. The one I have learned about here is the Altus - hard to get in Australia but you can pick it up in France/Spain. We are ordering ours online from the hiking store in SJPdP (if you are starting from there). It’s only a couple of Euros more expensive to do this than the prices I have seen at the Caminoteca (big hiking/camping chain) in Spain. Will be interested to read the seasoned veterans feedback. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello :) Like others have said above, your packing list looks already pretty good! Nicely done! I walked the Camino last fall - and back then it started to get a bit colder especially in Galicia in the end. In June it should be very warm/hot though, so focus more on sun protection than on more warm clothing!

Clothes -
- One capri length pants and one full length, both quick dry - I took one long hiking pants that was convertible into shorts, plus one extra shorts. I switched them in the evening/after showering and slept in one of the other. Ergo, take both but then don't take any extra sleeping clothing :) Also consider taking only shorts... I was never cold at night, just sometimes when walking early in the morning (but then it was also 0-4 degrees Celsius which probably is not the case in June)
- Quick dry t-shirt and long sleeve shirt - I also advise to take 2 t-shirts! (Again, switch them in the evening/for sleeping)
- 1 bra I also took 2 bras to switch, 3 undies, 3 socks (not all in the picture). I've gone with Injinji toe socks, a merino bra and exofficio undies.
- Lightweight black cotton tracksuit pants and black tank top with shelf bra, for after showering/sleeping. (I don't think I can sleep in my hiking clothes, too crinkly!) - I highly recommend to leave these extra sleeping clothes but instead sleep in your second set of hiking clothes and then wear them the next day until the evening. That way you will also be very fast in the morning which I found an advantage in the albergues (You don't wake people up too much, you escape the busy albergue quickly...)
- Puffer jacket (I really feel the cold!) Do I also need long johns and a thin merino long sleeve layer? - No!
- Silk sarong/scarf - Consider taking a buff/hat to also protect your head from the sun. The sun is very powerful on the path!

Gear
- Sandals - I've posted separately about these as I'm thinking I may need a new pair, so not pictured. Chacos? - I took one pair of hiking trail runners plus one pair of light sandals. Was great to switch shoes in the evening, so yes :)
- 1 walking pole
- a collapsible water bottle and I'll bring a basic plastic one from home - I took a single water bladder - was great since there is a special compartment in my backpack for it, thus it did not take up too much space
- approx. 500 gram summer weight sleeping bag - it's a little bulky but it was very affordable! - personal choice but I can say: You don't need a sleeping bag on the Camino Frances :) I just took a sleeping bag liner and was perfectly fine! Many albergues offer wool blankets. Otherwise just wear your extra clothing. I also used a bed bugs spray on my liner - I was a bit paranoid of bed bugs ;)

Misc.
- glasses and sunglasses
- earplugs and eyemask - I was super happy to take my eyemask with me!
- earphones
- safety pins
- needle and thread
- manicure set (just bring the scissors and clippers maybe?) Yes, scissors and clippers is enough
- a pegless clothes line (not pictured) - do I really need this? - Had one with me but never used it. There are plenty of clothes lines outside of every albergue
- 1 packet of compeed and some bandaids - There are hundreds of different opinions about blisters but remember that Compeeds only treat small blisters that are not open. If you have larger areas, I advise to not use them. Take more tape with you which you can cut to the size needed.
- a very small microfibre towel - it's only about 50cm square - will I regret this? - You need a towel after shower, so yes, take it :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When it comes to clothes, I am really minimalist. I took only two long-sleeve t-shirts, one in white in S size and one in black in M size. When it's cold in the morning, I wore the black one on top of the white one, a fleece, light weight down vest (this came with a palm size pouch) and rain jacket plus a big long scarf. As for bottoms, I wore short light capri pants every single day and put on my microfiber legging underneath them when it's cold and/or raining. I slept in whatever I was going to wear to walk the next day. Everything was quick-drying. These were the only clothes I had with me. We walked in May and early June last year and this system kept me warm on 2 degrees Celsius mornings and cool in the afternoons. If you wear calf compression sleeves like I do, you can use them as leg-warmers in the rain/morning. Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Ex

View attachment 55900

Clothes
- Silk sarong/scarf

Gear
- 1 walking pole

Misc.
- glasses and sunglasses
- earplugs and eyemask
- earphones
- safety pins
- needle and thread

Excellent list. I’d suggest one thing in addition to what others have said. Instead of sarong and microfibre towel, I take a lightweight but full size Turkish towel. It works as: scarf, sarong, towel, picnic blanket, bed blanket (albergues are sometimes too hot for sleeping bag, too cool for no cover), bunk curtain, flag (my friends found me one day because they recognised my towel drying in the albergue window) , skirt on laundry day, etc.
Best addition to my pack in my last two Caminos.

Ex

Excellent list. I’d suggest one thing in addition to what others have said. Instead of sarong and microfibre towel, I take a lightweight but full size Turkish towel. It works as: scarf, sarong, towel, picnic blanket, bed blanket (albergues are sometimes too hot for sleeping bag, too cool for no cover), bunk curtain, flag (my friends found me one day because they recognised my towel drying in the albergue window) , skirt on laundry day, etc.

Seconding all of this. Do a search for Turkish peshtemel.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Forgot one thing: clothes pins became super handy! Often it was windy...

Love the idea of the Turkish towel - will be on my list for the next Camino!

How big is your peshtemel
Ex

How big is your peshtemel? I have one I got in Turkey. It also has a fringe I'm wondering if I should cut off.

Holhum, a hint from one Aussie to another: tape your charger plug to the adaptor -it’s very easy to unplug it and leave the adaptor still plugged in the wall. Something I did somewhere on the Via de la Plata. Not good.
Yep, I learned to tape them together, too, after leaving the plug in the wall more than once!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That list looks pretty sensible.

I would take 2 poles rather than one if possible, it's more efficient.
Chacos are very heavy, there are much lighter sandals around, it's worth trying the alternatives to see if they work for you.
A cotton sarong can double as a towel, or get a big Turkish hammam (sometimes called peshtemal) towel which is light, can be used as a sarong, and dries quickly. Get one of the lightweight ones, they are often sold as beach towels. I like them much better than any of the microfibre ones, I find mine on Ebay.
The ultralight people just use a black plastic waste bag as a pack liner. But if you want something a bit more sophisticated take a look at the large size ultralight dry bags.
It wouldn't even occur to me to take a manicure set; clippers or a tiny pair of scissors will do the job.
I'm scratching already at the idea of a merino wool bra, my skin hates it. That's very personal of course, but give it a good try-out before you go. What is comfortable when you're dry may be uncomfortable if you get hot and sweaty. I'm top heavy so I get sweaty underneath, so I would take another bra.
Rather than a pegless clothes line (I presume you mean one of the elastic ones) I'd take a length of thin paracord because it has all sorts of other potential uses including tieing around a poncho in windy conditions temporary fixes for your sandals, hanging a curtain over your bunk using your towel, and more besides. The ultralight hikers always look for things that have multiple possible uses. And 3 or 4 big safety pins are better than pegs, again they have multiple uses such as pinning your socks to your pack to finish drying!
If you're going in summer you are highly unlikely to need much warm clothing, even if you're a chilly person.

Most of all, have fun. Buen camino.

Hello :) Like others have said above, your packing list looks already pretty good! Nicely done! I walked the Camino last fall - and back then it started to get a bit colder especially in Galicia in the end. In June it should be very warm/hot though, so focus more on sun protection than on more warm clothing!

Clothes -
- One capri length pants and one full length, both quick dry - I took one long hiking pants that was convertible into shorts, plus one extra shorts. I switched them in the evening/after showering and slept in one of the other. Ergo, take both but then don't take any extra sleeping clothing :) Also consider taking only shorts... I was never cold at night, just sometimes when walking early in the morning (but then it was also 0-4 degrees Celsius which probably is not the case in June)
- Quick dry t-shirt and long sleeve shirt - I also advise to take 2 t-shirts! (Again, switch them in the evening/for sleeping)
- 1 bra I also took 2 bras to switch, 3 undies, 3 socks (not all in the picture). I've gone with Injinji toe socks, a merino bra and exofficio undies.
- Lightweight black cotton tracksuit pants and black tank top with shelf bra, for after showering/sleeping. (I don't think I can sleep in my hiking clothes, too crinkly!) - I highly recommend to leave these extra sleeping clothes but instead sleep in your second set of hiking clothes and then wear them the next day until the evening. That way you will also be very fast in the morning which I found an advantage in the albergues (You don't wake people up too much, you escape the busy albergue quickly...)
- Puffer jacket (I really feel the cold!) Do I also need long johns and a thin merino long sleeve layer? - No!
- Silk sarong/scarf - Consider taking a buff/hat to also protect your head from the sun. The sun is very powerful on the path!

Gear
- Sandals - I've posted separately about these as I'm thinking I may need a new pair, so not pictured. Chacos? - I took one pair of hiking trail runners plus one pair of light sandals. Was great to switch shoes in the evening, so yes :)
- 1 walking pole
- a collapsible water bottle and I'll bring a basic plastic one from home - I took a single water bladder - was great since there is a special compartment in my backpack for it, thus it did not take up too much space
- approx. 500 gram summer weight sleeping bag - it's a little bulky but it was very affordable! - personal choice but I can say: You don't need a sleeping bag on the Camino Frances :) I just took a sleeping bag liner and was perfectly fine! Many albergues offer wool blankets. Otherwise just wear your extra clothing. I also used a bed bugs spray on my liner - I was a bit paranoid of bed bugs ;)

Misc.
- glasses and sunglasses
- earplugs and eyemask - I was super happy to take my eyemask with me!
- earphones
- safety pins
- needle and thread
- manicure set (just bring the scissors and clippers maybe?) Yes, scissors and clippers is enough
- a pegless clothes line (not pictured) - do I really need this? - Had one with me but never used it. There are plenty of clothes lines outside of every albergue
- 1 packet of compeed and some bandaids - There are hundreds of different opinions about blisters but remember that Compeeds only treat small blisters that are not open. If you have larger areas, I advise to not use them. Take more tape with you which you can cut to the size needed.
- a very small microfibre towel - it's only about 50cm square - will I regret this? - You need a towel after shower, so yes, take it :)
what do you mean by "tape" in "Take more tape with you which you can cut to the size needed. "???

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I took long lengths of sticking plaster that you can cut to any length.
Individual plasters are not that useful as they are rarely the right size.
hmmmm, ok! looking on amazon...nothing that is touted as "blister plaster tape"...do you have a brand you like?? THANK YOU! :))))

View attachment 55900

Clothes
- Silk sarong/scarf

Gear
- 1 walking pole

Misc.
- glasses and sunglasses
- earplugs and eyemask
- earphones
- safety pins
- needle and thread

Blister kit? (and I dont mean needle and thread) - including blister prevention, blister management before and after de-roofing...

Blister kit? (and I dont mean needle and thread) - including blister prevention, blister management before and after de-roofing...
perfect! THANK YOU!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
what do you mean by "tape" in "Take more tape with you which you can cut to the size needed. "???

My ultimate advice for a tape if you already have a blister is Elastikon tape!! You find this by various brands, or just ask at your local pharmacy :) I discovered it on the Camino myself since a fellow pilgrim gave it to me for one large blister I had and afterwards I literally threw my Compeeds and other tapes away! Feels like a second skin, it is not very sticky but sticky enough that it will stay in place, easy to peel off again without damaging the skin further.

Other than that I second the comment above: use tape rolls, not individual plasters and such. Many other people also use Leukotape.

If you already have an open blister or decide to open a blister: Make sure you bring or get some desinfection spray and antibacterial ointment. I once suffered a blood infection due to an infected blister (no joke, but was not on the Camino) and you don't want this to happen. Buen Camino :)

Last edited:
hmmmm, ok! looking on amazon...nothing that is touted as "blister plaster tape"...do you have a brand you like?? THANK YOU! :))))
In NZ there are several brands of fabric or paper/fabric sticking plaster (sticky sides with a non adhesive cushion strip down the middle) in supermarkets and pharmacies - they can be purchased pre-cut or as a long strip you can cut to whatever length you need.
I think Leuco, Elasto are common brands (as in Leucoplast, Elastoplast), they are not specifically for blisters, just adhesive dressings.
I leave mine on whilst I shower and they lose some stickiness when wet and peel off without hurting your skin further.

How big is your peshtemel

How big is your peshtemel? I have one I got in Turkey. It also has a fringe I'm wondering if I should cut off.
I wouldn’t bother cutting it. Mine is full size and completely worth its (minimal) weight...

I wouldn’t bother cutting it. Mine is full size and completely worth its (minimal) weight...
@JillGat I found a face/hand Peshtemal towel size on Amazon and tested it at home. It is absorbent enough to dry both my body and long hair. If you are a minimalist, try the smaller size. It will be enough. However, if you want to buy the smaller size, you can only get them in packs of several, I found. The smaller size also won't double as a scarf so well, but it is doable. Nor will it double as a sarong or a blanket or a privacy screen, if that is your desire!

The pictured sleeping bag is probably the same one ive got , brought from Australia at decathelion. I been able to make mine a bit more compact by putting it in a 2.5L? lightweight dry sac, squashing it down then sealing the bag.
I'm hoping it will be warm enough for Portugal in autumn.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buy it in Spain or St Jean if you’re starting there.... It’s just normal plaster but on a roll, you cut to size....

View attachment 55900

Clothes
- Silk sarong/scarf

Gear
- 1 walking pole

Misc.
- glasses and sunglasses
- earplugs and eyemask
- earphones
- safety pins
- needle and thread

You are doing well. I managed to get pack down to 6.5kgs. I did buy a new osprey pack 36 litres which was 900gms. Bought from NZ (I’m in Australia too) for under $100. Absolutely worth it. I would take 2 walking poles - only 2 blisters in 800kms. Makes a big difference.
I also took a v light sleeping quilt and silk sheet. Preferred my own covers. No bed bugs that way. I would dispense with puffer and go with fleece I feel cold and it was sufficient if I wore a wicking t shirt (Kmart) my long sleeved shirt, fleece. I ended up getting rid of poncho and bought a raincoat on the Camino that fitted over pack. Now my fave piece of hiking kit.
I also took the littlest Swiss Army knife - does for everything inc manicure.
Also recommend a larger towel. Try decathlon. Great value and v soft.
I’m jealous. Would love to do another Camino. Maybe next year.

Good luck.

Very sound advice otherwise but not as bed bugs are concerned, regrettably. Regardless of your sleeping equipment, if they are around in the room, they’ll find you. ☹
Yes probably right but I figured they’ll find me quicker with albergue blankets. I also treated them with permethrin. Seemed to protect me. Maybe I was just lucky or it was a low bed big year. 😂

Peshtemals ...

Mine are mostly 180x100cm which is a great size for drying after a shower, using as a turban for drying hair (my hair is very long) and also for using as a sarong or a bunk curtain. I have a couple which are longer - about 200cm - but 180cm is plenty.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.